PDA

View Full Version : Babies at the ballpark

ChicagoHoosier
04-15-2006, 03:53 PM
Do you ever see babies at the ballpark? I mean young boys or girls, unable to walk, sitting on parents laps? Just wondering if you see much of that (when the weather is warmer) and whether you feel they are
a) pleasant to have a young Sox fan at the park - or
b) annoying because parents would have to get up and down when they cry and disrupt the folks around them.

LuvSox
04-15-2006, 03:56 PM
All that bothers me is newborns. They don't need to be out in public yet. Otherwise it's alright. I love kids, bring 'em to a game!

gobears1987
04-15-2006, 03:57 PM
parents bringing babies to the game is what makes a lifelong fan.

jenn2080
04-15-2006, 03:58 PM
I think it is annoying. There is no tea cups at The Cell. Leave them home until they are about 8. Todays game was filled with kids. And there were a few running on the concourse. ANNOYING!!!!!!!!!

TheKittle
04-15-2006, 04:05 PM
Do you ever see babies at the ballpark? I mean young boys or girls, unable to walk, sitting on parents laps? Just wondering if you see much of that (when the weather is warmer) and whether you feel they are
a) pleasant to have a young Sox fan at the park - or
b) annoying because parents would have to get up and down when they cry and disrupt the folks around them.

I know you're talking about the White Sox but I went to a minor league game a couple years ago. This lady was sitting right behind the dugout and was placing her baby on top of the dugout. I went up and told her, nicely, that she should be careful as a foul ball could hit the baby. She told me to mind my own business. About four batters later a foul ball came within 6 inches of the baby. When I saw that I yelled at her, "Next time when I tell you something maybe you should listen." She moved to the second level of seats.

Now I wasn't trying to be a jerk and I was nice to her when I told her not to put her baby on the dugout. I'm glad the ball didn't hit the baby but I hope she learned a good lesson.

As for B in your post, do I find people who are always getting up from the seats annoying? Yes, very much so. But I also think if somebody pays for a ticket they can come and go from their seats as they please, as long as they wait until the inning is over. People getting up in the middle of an inning is my biggest pet peeve during a game.

Timmy D's
04-15-2006, 04:05 PM
I'm always surprised when I see people w/ infants at the game. I have 4 kids, but never took any below the age of around 3 to the games. I'm not bothered by the crying of neighboring babies, but for myself, the reason I never brought mine, or wondered why others brought theirs is simply them getting killed. Wether it be by a rare foul ball(cant block it cause your hands are holdin' the baby), or more obviously just squished by the crowd in a foul ball scramble, or a fight breaking out, or a crushing crowd in a hall on the way out. Hell just last night there was a fight in the 518-520 tunnel that almost knocked a gal flat on her face as she just happened to be walkin by and guy got shoved into her. If she was carrying a baby, fuhgetta bout' it.
I dont know, maybe some people are just braver parents than me, but I wouldnt bring an infant into that type of situation.

JohnBasedowYoda
04-15-2006, 04:16 PM
I think it'd be a hassle. Parents probably just want to go to the game and get out of the house more than bringing a baby to see the game I think.

JohnBasedowYoda
04-15-2006, 04:17 PM
I'm always surprised when I see people w/ infants at the game. I have 4 kids, but never took any below the age of around 3 to the games. I'm not bothered by the crying of neighboring babies, but for myself, the reason I never brought mine, or wondered why others brought theirs is simply them getting killed. Wether it be by a rare foul ball(cant block it cause your hands are holdin' the baby), or more obviously just squished by the crowd in a foul ball scramble, or a fight breaking out, or a crushing crowd in a hall on the way out. Hell just last night there was a fight in the 518-520 tunnel that almost knocked a gal flat on her face as she just happened to be walkin by and guy got shoved into her. If she was carrying a baby, fuhgetta bout' it.
I dont know, maybe some people are just braver parents than me, but I wouldnt bring an infant into that type of situation.

That and making sure the baby isn't in the sun all the game. Sunburned babies can't be fun.

ChicagoHoosier
04-15-2006, 04:39 PM
My tix are in the UD, sixth row, and just debating whether to bring the little guy. Otherwise, I'm having to sell a lot more seats than I thought. Last few games, I've kept my eyes open to see if other 4-8 month old babies are there. Haven't seen many. Sounds like it's simply a personal decision with no right or wrong answer.

I'm very conscious about disturbing fans around me, so at least I'm aware of that!

batmanZoSo
04-15-2006, 04:39 PM
My sister and her husband have two kids, 2 and 3, and they're pretty much imprisoned by them. As an aside, what nightmare and shoot me if I ever have a kid. However, people need to have fun and if it means bringing a kid to a game or a restaurant at the slight inconvenience of someone else--and it's usually minor--you just have to deal with it. I've never been bothered if a kid cried near me or happened to wander off and come up to me. What are you gonna do? We were all kids once..

SouthSide_HitMen
04-15-2006, 04:44 PM
That and making sure the baby isn't in the sun all the game. Sunburned babies can't be fun.

Also, the idiots who brought babies to Cubs Opening Day with 20 - 30 MPH winds with the wind chill under freezing.

If you wouldn't leave you dog out for 3 hours due to the current weather conditions (100 degrees or 32 degrees or less) you shouldn't leave your baby out for 3 hours either.

And people should "wait for the whistle" in hockey terms (or 3 outs for baseball). Young kids (2-5) needing a bathroom break would be the exception.

Many people miss so much of the game buying beer, they would be better off skipping the cover charge (ticket and parking) and watched the game at home or their nearest watering hole.

kingpin_rcs
04-15-2006, 04:48 PM
When my son was about 6 months old when I took him to Safeco field to see the Sox (we live in Portland). My wife, my son and I were all decked out in Sox gear. We tried to sit in our seats for the first few innings (upper deck inside the first base bag). Every time the Mariners scored a run the crowd would cheer and startle my son causing him to cry. I would calm him down as quickly as I could (I told him that it's just one run and the Sox would get it back). After a few innings I felt very self conscience and decided to walk around the stadium with him in the baby bjorn (a sort of baby back pack thing that goes in the front).

After that experience I decided that it's best to not try it again until mu children are old enough to get a sence of what is going on around them.

My situation is a little different since it's a 3 hour drive to the park. If it were a 15 minute drive, I might consider it again se=ince I would not feel too bad about leaving early.

I would certianly not get seats where a line drive foul ball was a possibility. I once saw a boy who was about 6 or 8 years old get one right off the forehead.

JoeClutch24
04-15-2006, 05:11 PM
It doesn't make annoy me, it makes me nervous. You don't want some freak thing to happen. Like last night, some idiot threw a water bottle off the edge of the upper deck and was close to hitting a woman and her baby. Something like that could be terrible.

markopat
04-15-2006, 05:13 PM

Wasn't that a Jimmy Buffet Song??? If not, it should be!!

LOL

itsnotrequired
04-15-2006, 05:21 PM
My tix are in the UD, sixth row, and just debating whether to bring the little guy. Otherwise, I'm having to sell a lot more seats than I thought. Last few games, I've kept my eyes open to see if other 4-8 month old babies are there. Haven't seen many. Sounds like it's simply a personal decision with no right or wrong answer.

I'm very conscious about disturbing fans around me, so at least I'm aware of that!

Look for me on Wednesday. I'll be there, Upped Deck, 6th row, 7.5 month old. It will be his first game ever so we'll see how it goes.

When I picked out my seats for this year, I kept the newborn situation in mind. We are on the first base side so will be in the shade for pretty much every game. Our seats are also on the aisle so if he does get fussy, it is a simple matter of standing up and walking down 5 rows to the tunnel. Row 6 is the last row in the Upper Deck before the stairways on either side of a tunnel come "back together" and form a single aisle. I can stand up and be in the tunnel in literally 5 seconds.

jugvara
04-15-2006, 06:52 PM
i've been bringing my kids (who are now 2 and 4 years old) to the park for the past 4 years (since my first one was 6 months old). we are weekend season ticket holders who typically go to 15-20 games a year in the lower deck. being at the park with my kids- teaching them to say "charge" or singing "take me out to the ballgame" or even having them high-five everyone in sight when the sox hit one out- those are some of the best moments i have had as a parent, and something i will always remember when they grow up.

we buy them each a seat so they dont have to sit on our laps (although they often do), and the ballpark has a number of accomodations for people with small children and infants. you can bring in a stroller and take the elevator- then check in the stroller with customer service. you can also bring a little portable seat for them to sit in which fits perfectly into the seats. we've taken our kids to 10 different ballparks around the country, and find that most of them have made accomodations for youngsters like mine.

previous posters have commented on the danger of bringing kids to the park and/or subjecting them to inappropriate weather and/or surroundings. all i can say is that if you prepare your family properly, know what the weather and traffic are like, you should have no problems going to a game. by that, i mean we selected our seats to be on the right field area on the higher rows to beneath the underhang in case of rain or bad weather, and it also gives us shade for the days that are really hot. in addition, we ask for aisle seats so that we can get in and out of our seats without difficulty. to be honest with you, we have more people getting up to get food and drinks than we get up to bring our kids to the bathroom. the ballpark also allows you to bring in a backpack, which we fill with kids food and drinks so they dont have to get up and about.

certainly going to the game with small children is a much different esxperience than going by yourself or with your buddies. as with any parenting situation, preparation is key. prepare to compromise on getting seats that are farther away and out of the foul ball areas. prepare to get there early so your kids can go to the bathroom and change diapers before the game begins so its less likely that you'll have to change them during the game. prepare a bag of kids things in the backpack- like food and drinks- maybe baseball cards to show them and get them used to whats going on.

there have been times where my children have kicked the seats in front of them and pissed someone off. times when they cried and ive had to get out of the seats to console them on the concoarse. but in comparison to dealing with people that drink too much, or yell inappropriate stuff, or talk on their cell phones- the problems with kids has an upside. you will be making a lifelong fan of the game, and give you and your family something to look forward to and enjoy every summer for the rest of your lives. plus it converted my wife into a baseball fan as well.

so...forget about everyone saying your kids is gonna be killed by a foul ball. bring on down to the cell and have a good old time!

soxwon
04-15-2006, 07:14 PM
i saw a baby (a few months old) in the LF stands today
A photographer took a pic of him, holding a
ITS MY FIRST SOX GAME sign.
it was cute.
but i agree newborns should not be at the park!!

Pulaski
04-15-2006, 07:14 PM
I think it is annoying. There is no tea cups at The Cell. Leave them home until they are about 8. Todays game was filled with kids. And there were a few running on the concourse. ANNOYING!!!!!!!!!

It was a Saturday day game and not a Friday night game. The Sox are building a solid fan base. Did you notice the Fundamentals area?

leens01
04-15-2006, 07:30 PM
I don't have any kids of my own, but I have taken many little guys to the field. Both of my nephews have been going to the park since they were 6 months old. One of my nephews had a double ear infection when we took him, but we were just very aware of our surroundings. I've never had a problem and have sat all over the park with them. People are usually really nice if there are babies involved.

jortafan
04-15-2006, 07:49 PM
I have a nephew who went to his first game at New Comiskey Park when he was only 8 months old. I remember being with him, and am still amazed at how peaceful he was throughout the evening. I can still remember him looking in all directions checking out all the people (the crowd that particular game, I seem to recall, was about 26,000). It was clear that he was in awe of such a large crowd. He did not make any noise. He did not squirm. He even seemed to enjoy the noise of the crowd, and was not terrified when sudden cheers or boos arose. My father (whose lap he sat in during the game) and I were able to watch an entire game without problem.

Now, I'll be the first to admit not all babies are like this. I've seen some youthful people in stadiums who put up such fuss that it clearly was a mistake to bring them.

So my point in noting all of this is to say it depends on the personality of the child involved. Any blanket judgment about kids at the stadium is ridiculous.

And for what it's worth, this particular nephew is now 11 and he loves going to sports events of all types. I've been to baseball games with him, and he actually sits back, watches the game, has developed a good sense of the ebb and flow of baseball, and gets upset at the nitwits who can't stay in their seats and manage to block his view of the game at inopportune moments.

He'd be the perfect baseball fan, if only he'd get the hang of keeping a decent scorecard. Oh well, nobody's perfect.

chisoxmike
04-15-2006, 07:55 PM
When I first saw the title to this thread I thought it read "Babes at the ballpark.":redneck

0o0o0
04-15-2006, 11:27 PM
There was definitely a baby in front of me at today's game that was about zero years old. And in the sun no less. :(:

BainesHOF
04-16-2006, 12:05 AM
Keep the kids at home until they can enjoy the game.

mike squires
04-16-2006, 12:29 AM
My daughter was around a year and a half when she attended her first game. Memorial day against the Angels. I was always against bringing a baby to the park. I always wanted to wait until she knew what was going on and could pay attention to the game. She slept through a lot of it. To tell you the truth though, I'm usually more worried about what the adults are doing around me. I've only been bothered by kids at the park once. It was a Texas double header where Pamerieo, Ivan and someone went back to back to back. They were just annoying and I found it hard to focus on the game.

TheKittle
04-16-2006, 03:49 AM
When I first saw the title to this thread I thought it read "Babes at the ballpark.":redneck

LOL Me too. I think she is the best looking women I've ever seen at a game.

http://baseballadventure2004.com/slide_show.html?show=Miss_Baseball_2004_Set_2&picture=picture2.jpg&autopilot_running=

cws05champ
04-16-2006, 09:22 AM

I took my daughter to her first Sox game when she was 3 months old in Tampa to see the Sox take on the Rays. It was a good experience, but as they get a little older (12-36 months) and want to walk around it gets a little tougher. When she was two yrs old we went to another game in Chicago and it was a lot tougher and frustrating for me. In my opinion fans that are inconsiderate of other fans are going to be that way whether they have kids or not. Just be conscious of:

1) The game will not hold their attn, so you will have to walk around with them or entertain them...and miss a lot of the game that you would normally pay attention to.
2) Be conscious that your Kids are not bothering others(crying, bordom/wandering around).
3) Stay clear of trouble(beligerant fans etc)

I think a lot of parents know what is best for their kids..ie keeping them out of harms way and direct sun for the whole game, but there are the minority that may give everyone with kids a bad name. Just like anything else, it only takes a select few to ruin it for everyone.

Have fun at the game and may all your kids grow up to be Sox fans!!!

soxfan13
04-16-2006, 11:29 AM
I love children but I think that infants should not be at the game. First of all, they have no idea whats going on. Secondly, I dont think the parents can really enjoy the game when they have their child that young with them. The thing that really scares me the most though, is when they have an infant and they are sitting in prime line drive foul ball territory or areas where a bat can come flying out of the hitters hands and THE PARENTS ARE NOT PAYING ATTENTION TO THE GAME. Its hard enough to get out of the way of a line drive let alone a bat but having an infant just endangers the child.

Realist
04-16-2006, 12:14 PM
We brought my 1 year old nephew to his first game a couple of years ago. He loved it. Alex loves to be around big groups of people and he couldn't stop looking around with big wide open eyes.

He's 2 1/2 now and when my brother goes to the games he has to sneak his Sox jersey out of the house because Alex will go bananas if he knows my brother is going to a game and he's not taking him. I told him to NEVER let Alex know that he's going to a game without him. When I was a little guy I had to go to church on Sundays while "daddy went to play cars at U.S. 30 dragstrip" without me. I'm still scarred from that. :smile:

Oh... and Alex also knows all the words to "Go Go White Sox" and sings them at the top of his lungs. "Daddy... play White Sox video!" He sits there and watches the whole Sox Pride video.

I think it all depends on the disposition of each individual little one. I see a bunch of 20 somethings at the park that I believe are still too young to be at a ballgame.

Layla
04-16-2006, 12:19 PM
It seems to me that even at that young age parents know their child's temperment.

If the baby is easygoing, and the parent has done all he/she can to make it work for everyone (as some previous posters have done) it should be fine.

But, if the baby is colicy or easily startled then no. Stay home.

The only advice I would have is be prepared to leave early if the baby gets fussy and stays fussy. This is for everyone's concern - the baby is not having fun, the parent is not having fun, the people around you are not having fun.

My son's first game was at Dodger Stadium - we lived in California - when he was around 3 1/2. He had a ball.

StockdaleForVeep
04-16-2006, 01:34 PM
Newborns bother me for how they could "ruin" a game and cuz i feel its not safe. I went to an anahiem\sox game about 2 years ago, one of the days where on walkup we got tickets 2nd row in the left field seats. So anahiem was takin Bp and guys like vlad, andeson, davanon were skyrocketing pitches, the problem was the sun was at the angle where all u saw was a bright light, ity was horrible, all of us in the outfield were desparately tryin to catch the trail of the ball so we wouldnt get hit. There was a new born i wanna say between 1-3 years old sitting in a chair unattended, homerun ball came scorching and hit the concrete top of the sox bullpen, she was the row directly behind it. Had that had been a foot higher, she woulda been killed

StockdaleForVeep
04-16-2006, 01:36 PM
It seems to me that even at that young age parents know their child's temperment.

If the baby is easygoing, and the parent has done all he/she can to make it work for everyone (as some previous posters have done) it should be fine.

But, if the baby is colicy or easily startled then no. Stay home.

The only advice I would have is be prepared to leave early if the baby gets fussy and stays fussy. This is for everyone's concern - the baby is not having fun, the parent is not having fun, the people around you are not having fun.

My son's first game was at Dodger Stadium - we lived in California - when he was around 3 1/2. He had a ball.

Yes but also young parents think they know things when they dont. Before i came back to school, i told my mum i wanted to go out to dinner, somethin different and relax. Well ofcorpse she calls my brother, they were gonna go out to eat too with my nephew who turns 5 on 4\20
I said "is that a good idea?" and he said "yes we can take him places"

well when i got there, he was throwing a non stop fit because we had to wait cuz fridays was sort of crowded and we couldnt be seated immediately and he was hungry. I cannot stand whining and crying

StockdaleForVeep
04-16-2006, 01:39 PM
It was a Saturday day game and not a Friday night game. The Sox are building a solid fan base. Did you notice the Fundamentals area?

Do you know how many infants are able to walk\let alone run and play on fundamentals? The kids who participate at fundamentals are the exact age that i would allow kids to be at the game

soxinthecity
04-16-2006, 03:17 PM
However, people need to have fun and if it means bringing a kid to a game or a restaurant at the slight inconvenience of someone else--and it's usually minor--you just have to deal with it. I've never been bothered if a kid cried near me or happened to wander off and come up to me. What are you gonna do? We were all kids once..

Why should I have to be inconvenienced?
They are the ones who should be by staying home, whether at a ball park or a restaurant, I go for the enjoyment not to hear babies crying or toddlers whining, I blame parents for not showing consideration for others around them, not the kids.

But cell phone users are at the top of my list, unless your closing a million dollar deal or you just had some extreme emergency and even then just kindly excuse yourself, I don't want to hear your conversation of meaningless B.S., so I usually start talking real loud or start banging on a table or seat, then they give you this weird look to which I say annoying isn't it.

Don't get me wrong I love kids (and have two of my own) when they know how to behave and appreciate parents who know how to control there kids when they do act up.

StockdaleForVeep
04-16-2006, 03:27 PM
They are the ones who should be by staying home, whether at a ball park or a restaurant, I go for the enjoyment not to hear babies crying or toddlers whining, I blame parents for not showing consideration for others around them, not the kids.

But cell phone users are at the top of my list, unless your closing a million dollar deal or you just had some extreme emergency and even then just kindly excuse yourself, I don't want to hear your conversation of meaningless B.S., so I usually start talking real loud or start banging on a table or seat, then they give you this weird look to which I say annoying isn't it.

Don't get me wrong I love kids (and have two of my own) when they know how to behave and appreciate parents who know how to control there kids when they do act up.

http://www.redballoon.net/%7Esnorwood/gallery/albums/album04/phone.jpg
"HEY LOOK AT ME! I JUST CALLED U AND U CAN SEE ME ON TV!! HOW COOL AM I! HEY HEY HEY HEY HEY HEY"
yeah, those guys are really high on my likeability list

Layla
04-16-2006, 04:45 PM
Yes but also young parents think they know things when they dont. Before i came back to school, i told my mum i wanted to go out to dinner, somethin different and relax. Well ofcorpse she calls my brother, they were gonna go out to eat too with my nephew who turns 5 on 4\20
I said "is that a good idea?" and he said "yes we can take him places"

well when i got there, he was throwing a non stop fit because we had to wait cuz fridays was sort of crowded and we couldnt be seated immediately and he was hungry. I cannot stand whining and crying

I understand what you're saying here, but at that age, the parents should know enough to bring a few toys to occupy the child with. It's common sense - Friday night is going to be busy, young children don't have patience, bring something to keep child busy.

itsnotrequired
04-16-2006, 05:22 PM
I understand what you're saying here, but at that age, the parents should know enough to bring a few toys to occupy the child with. It's common sense - Friday night is going to be busy, young children don't have patience, bring something to keep child busy.

The whole thing is common sense. Fussy, colicy baby = stay home. Quiet, good-natured baby = might as well bring them along. As long as you can still enjoy the game and the baby isn't bothering anyone else, what's the harm? And who cares if the kid is too young to appreciate it? How is that any different than the fools that pound 10 beers, gab away with their friends and then leave in the 7th?

The problem comes with bozo parents who give a bad rap to all parents bringing a baby to a game. Our plan is to not be one of them. If we can't make it work, we change our plans.

Steelrod
04-16-2006, 05:27 PM
Thanks how I started, and my kids, and my grandkis. Also remember, game tickets are less costly than sitters.
Only parents should be considerate to those around them. In my grandkids case, once he gets figetty, were gone!
Just starting a long list of memories to talk about later.

Taliesinrk
04-16-2006, 06:18 PM

This post is a bit harsh.. perhaps true.. but very blunt. However, you put my sentiments exactly. I can't believe how many people don't know how to discipline their children. It seems like no1 can tell their children to shut up and sit down anymore (and I'm only 21!!!). I can tell you this much: when I have kids, they'll know when people want to hear them and when they don't... why they have two ears and one mouth. I don't know many kids who realize that anymore. Bring the kids to the game, for sure.. but not if they're turning around in their seats poking the person behind them for the entire game.

SweetnesSox
04-16-2006, 06:57 PM
i saw a baby (a few months old) in the LF stands today
A photographer took a pic of him, holding a
ITS MY FIRST SOX GAME sign.
it was cute.

strong baby!

but to the post about cell phone use...
I never personally use my cell during a game, but doesn't talking on a cell phone during the game sound a lot like talking to a person at the park? I don't see why it would be annoying. Actually, it's only half the conversation that you hear so wouldn't it be more quiet?

I dunno.

Layla
04-16-2006, 07:23 PM
The whole thing is common sense. Fussy, colicy baby = stay home. Quiet, good-natured baby = might as well bring them along. As long as you can still enjoy the game and the baby isn't bothering anyone else, what's the harm? And who cares if the kid is too young to appreciate it? How is that any different than the fools that pound 10 beers, gab away with their friends and then leave in the 7th?

The problem comes with bozo parents who give a bad rap to all parents bringing a baby to a game. Our plan is to not be one of them. If we can't make it work, we change our plans.

That's exactly what I said in my first post.

Obviously you and your wife gave alot of thought about bringing the baby to the game. That's 99% of the battle won.

Layla
04-16-2006, 07:27 PM
I can tell you this much: when I have kids, they'll know when people want to hear them and when they don't... why they have two ears and one mouth. I don't know many kids who realize that anymore. Bring the kids to the game, for sure.. but not if they're turning around in their seats poking the person behind them for the entire game.

I don't know how to break this to you but you have just karma-ed yourself into having loud children with a stubborn streak a mile long.

I want to bring up another point here, especially since now we're talking about older than babies.

Some children who you feel (and not you personally but you generally) are a bit too much may very well have a learning disability or a developmental disability.

StockdaleForVeep
04-16-2006, 09:56 PM

They did, they bring a crapload of stuff with him, christ he's 5 now and has his own portable dvd player. The point is people expect him to be what he's not. He is very very big for his age, not weight just overall size, he is atleast double what someone his age would be, so people assume he should know patience and whatnot but he doesnt. It just gets annoyin when he doesnt get what he wants and his persistant it is

StockdaleForVeep
04-16-2006, 09:58 PM
strong baby!

I never personally use my cell during a game, but doesn't talking on a cell phone during the game sound a lot like talking to a person at the park? I don't see why it would be annoying. Actually, it's only half the conversation that you hear so wouldn't it be more quiet?

I dunno.

I was referin to the jagbags normally behind home plate who would be waving for nonstop innings "hey guys! u can see me but im gonna wave incase u cant see anyway!" and it just annoys\distracts me. Also, when someone is on a cell at a game, they talk louder than needed. Its just like some women who go to games just for the bf and sit there reading a book or talkin to girlfriends. Annoying to see\hear at a baseball game

Ol' No. 2
04-16-2006, 11:25 PM
I wonder how many kids are put off by whiny adults who think it should be just for them?:rolleyes:

MrRoboto83
04-16-2006, 11:28 PM
I wonder how many kids are put off by whiny adults who think it should be just for them?:rolleyes:

I find seriously drunk adults much more annoying than screaming babies.

Realist
04-16-2006, 11:45 PM
strong baby!

I dunno.

Yeah the anti-cell phone thing is a bit over the top. More than a few of us lead lives where there are many times a day that that phone must be answered when it rings. Often that happens to plenty of us when we're at a game. If it's 2nd and 3rd with 1 out and Konerko is at bat and the phone rings, I'm gonna answer that call from my seat and take care of any business at hand without getting up and moving to the concourse and blocking anybody's view of the game play.

Many people don't have to live with this unholy burden of being at the mercy of their cell phones. Gob bless 'em, and there's a part of me that envies them. Others of us are at the mercy of evil little buggers. If some don't like it, well tough ****. I don't like it either but its the price we pay for living in this society and trying to grind it out on this rock in 2006. These are the times we live in and there ain't nothin' on the horizon gonna change the scene any time soon.

TheKittle
04-17-2006, 04:00 AM
Yeah the anti-cell phone thing is a bit over the top. More than a few of us lead lives where there are many times a day that that phone must be answered when it rings. Often that happens to plenty of us when we're at a game. If it's 2nd and 3rd with 1 out and Konerko is at bat and the phone rings, I'm gonna answer that call from my seat and take care of any business at hand without getting up and moving to the concourse and blocking anybody's view of the game play.

Many people don't have to live with this unholy burden of being at the mercy of their cell phones. Gob bless 'em, and there's a part of me that envies them. Others of us are at the mercy of evil little buggers. If some don't like it, well tough ****. I don't like it either but its the price we pay for living in this society and trying to grind it out on this rock in 2006. These are the times we live in and there ain't nothin' on the horizon gonna change the scene any time soon.

I'll agree at a game in an outdoor stadium it's fine. But talking on your cell phone at the bank or any type of store, it's rude.

jenn2080
04-17-2006, 07:39 AM
I find seriously drunk adults much more annoying than screaming babies.

I find it equally annoying. I am no kid lover at all and there are some cases where there are some good kids at games. ....my favorite kid was at the Trophy ceremony who was screaming come on Guch and Travis you stink. He was talkin so much crap during the game. It was so cute. It was great. However that is one child compared to the kids who were running all over the concourse. I personally find it a distraction, not so much for me but for the parents. How the heck are ya bouncin little timmy on your knee and watching a baseball game? Maybe it is something you accquire being a parent.

thepaulbowski
04-17-2006, 07:45 AM
Keep the kids at home until they can enjoy the game.

I'll be sure to take your advise.

thepaulbowski
04-17-2006, 07:50 AM

I'm put off by many of the whiny adults in this thread. :rolleyes:

ComiskeyBrewer
04-17-2006, 08:19 AM
Also, the idiots who brought babies to Cubs Opening Day with 20 - 30 MPH winds with the wind chill under freezing.

If you wouldn't leave you dog out for 3 hours due to the current weather conditions (100 degrees or 32 degrees or less) you shouldn't leave your baby out for 3 hours either.

Last year at a Cubs/Brewers game at Miller Park, i saw a Mother and father get up out of thier seats to go get beer, and left thier child, who was under a YEAR OLD in the seat unattended. At one point, he started to fall forward(as his feet couldn't touch the ground from the bleacher seat), me and my buddy jumped over to grab the kid. Lucky he was only a row below us, and we made sure he didn't fall. However, i railed that "dad" a new one when he came back(7 minutes later!!!) I never saw the mother, because the Head Usher had to seperate my friend and I from the father(who yelled at me for touching his kid). The good thing out of it was when i explained what happened to the Usher, he moved me down to the field level for being such a "fine young man".:D Seriously, i never have been so close to sluggin a guy at a game in my life.:angry:

itsnotrequired
04-17-2006, 08:21 AM
Last year at a Cubs/Brewers game at Miller Park, i saw a Mother and father get up out of thier seats to go get beer, and left thier child, who was under a YEAR OLD in the seat unattended. At one point, he started to fall forward(as his feet couldn't touch the ground from the bleacher seat), me and my buddy jumped over to grab the kid. Lucky he was only a row below us, and we made sure he didn't fall. However, i railed that "dad" a new one when he came back(7 minutes later!!!) I never saw the mother, because the Head Usher had to seperate my friend and I from the father(who yelled at me for touching his kid). The good thing out of it was when i explained what happened to the Usher, he moved me down to the field level for being such a "fine young man".:D Seriously, i never have been so close to sluggin a guy at a game in my life.:angry:

And this is a perfect example of an idiot parent that gives decent parents a bad rap. We aren't all like this dolt!:D:

ComiskeyBrewer
04-17-2006, 08:21 AM
Oh yea, back on subject, i love seein little kids at the ballpark. Nothing cuter than a fat-noggin'ed kid with a baseball hat on. Hook em while they're young, that's what i say.

ComiskeyBrewer
04-17-2006, 08:23 AM
And this is a perfect example of an idiot parent that gives decent parents a bad rap. We aren't all like this dolt!:D:

Oh i know. I was actually in disbelief that someone would do this. I actually turned to my friend and said something to the extent of "did they both just leave the kid?" We were 21 year old kids and we knew better.

soxfanatlanta
04-17-2006, 08:30 AM
My wife and I took our son to his first game at Turner field to see the Sox play an exhibition game. Our bags were searched for five minutes because we had so much stuff packed in there (snacks, water, juice, a few toys, diapers, pacifier). He was a bit whiny that day, as he did not get his morning nap.

For those of you who don't understand that last sentence, let me translate it for you; this is a potentially very BAD thing. But, we both decided that we had to see if he could handle the experience of a ballgame. A deal was made that if he got too pissy, we would leave the game.

We had a very good time, we spent half the game watching/eating, and when he got restless, we took turns taking him to the concession area, and letting him walk around. Turner field also has a great spot for toddlers were they could play (complete with plasma screens for dads). We spent the rest of our time there in a center field restaurant watching the game, and snacking. All in all, we would take him there again.

I do agree with other posters who voiced concern with being out in the sun, or putting their child in a potentially dangerous spot from foul balls, or stupid fans: common sense and preparation is the key. But for those who think that parents should never bring their kids to a game...well...wait till you have a child of your own, bubba :wink:

Realist
04-17-2006, 12:16 PM
I'll agree at a game in an outdoor stadium it's fine. But talking on your cell phone at the bank or any type of store, it's rude.

I hate the damn things, but I'll answer my cell phone at a bank or in any type of store to see if the call is urgent or not. If it's not, I'll get off the phone immediately and call the person back at a more appropriate time.

I think the main problem with public use of cell phones is that most people don't realize that you don't have to shout into them to be heard. If I'm at the bank and I need to take the call I'll whisper into it and be heard just fine by the person on the other end.

LongLiveFisk
04-17-2006, 01:48 PM
I know you're talking about the White Sox but I went to a minor league game a couple years ago. This lady was sitting right behind the dugout and was placing her baby on top of the dugout. I went up and told her, nicely, that she should be careful as a foul ball could hit the baby. She told me to mind my own business. About four batters later a foul ball came within 6 inches of the baby. When I saw that I yelled at her, "Next time when I tell you something maybe you should listen." She moved to the second level of seats.

Now I wasn't trying to be a jerk and I was nice to her when I told her not to put her baby on the dugout. I'm glad the ball didn't hit the baby but I hope she learned a good lesson.

As for B in your post, do I find people who are always getting up from the seats annoying? Yes, very much so. But I also think if somebody pays for a ticket they can come and go from their seats as they please, as long as they wait until the inning is over. People getting up in the middle of an inning is my biggest pet peeve during a game.

This is one of my major pet peeves. I don't like seeing babies/kids in the "danger zone" at all (those areas where a ball can be lined hard with little reaction time), but especially when the people who are supposed to be protecting them are clearly not. I saw a 4 or 5 year old boy a few years back being rushed up the aisle with a bloody face after such an incident. It's not fair to the kid, and it really makes me nervous. Sometimes I think I'm more afraid for these kids than their own parents!

maurice
04-17-2006, 03:31 PM
Kids of any age at baseball games = good thing.

Crying / whining is no worse than the yelling, swearing, nonsense spewing, cellphone yapping, etc. of the average adult fan. In fact, I find it less annoying, because the adult should be expected to know better. Either way, it doesn't really affect my ballpark experience. Just don't kick my seat. Crying / whining in a nice restaurant or a movie theater is completely different.

Getting up to change a diaper is no worse than getting up to use the washroom, get a beer, get a hotdog, etc. of the average adult fan. The number of trips has nothing to do with the age of the fan. In my extensive experience, the most frequent "movers" are 20-year-old female fans. Where's the thread asking to ban them?

Sitting in a large MLB stadium watching a ballgame is less dangerous than riding in a car to the stadium or anywhere else. Yeah, don't be a dumbass and put the kid on top of the dugout...but there's little to no danger in most seats, especially if the parent is watching the game.

In other words, don't ban babies...ban stupid adults.

SoxBears34
04-17-2006, 03:35 PM
I can handle kids as long as they are under control. I know what I was like at the games when I was that age, I just don't want the payback.:b&b

kninchicago
04-17-2006, 03:37 PM
I don't really mind kids at the park but the one time a baby sat next to me (on dad's lap) it kicked me the whole time it was there. That and mom and dad for whatever reason didn't sit in the same row and they were up and down and passing the kid around and it was ridiculous. I think most parents are a little less oblivious. Kids that are older are different though, and that's what the Fundamentals deck is for--keeps parents, kids, and other fans happy.

comet2k
04-17-2006, 03:50 PM
This post is a bit harsh.. perhaps true.. but very blunt. However, you put my sentiments exactly. I can't believe how many people don't know how to discipline their children. It seems like no1 can tell their children to shut up and sit down anymore (and I'm only 21!!!). I can tell you this much: when I have kids, they'll know when people want to hear them and when they don't... why they have two ears and one mouth. I don't know many kids who realize that anymore. Bring the kids to the game, for sure.. but not if they're turning around in their seats poking the person behind them for the entire game.

Remember these words, Taliesinrk, because you may have to eat them in teh future. :D:

If you want your kids to grow up learning manners and respect, a ballpark isn't one of the best places to find good examples. It's understood that hometown fans are going to boo the umps and the other team, including when they don't deserve it, plus we're often mericiless to our own team: "You suck, you ---hole," after a strikeout, for example.

On the other hand, it's a great place to build your vocabulary at an early age, and it shows kids how to express themselves verbally in front of a large group, so it's not all bad. :smile:

comet2k
04-17-2006, 03:59 PM
This is actually a very interesting thread because it demonstrates that a lot of us don't like the fans around us or what they do. We don't like crying babies, kids running amok, oblivious parents, drunks, smokers, foul mouths, or cell phone gabbers or people who intrude on our rented seat. I'm sure I left a few out.

When you cram 30,000-40,000 people into a small space, you're bound to get a cross section of society, for better or worse.

Can't beat fun at the ol' ballpark, can you?

lostletters
04-17-2006, 04:03 PM
I am clearly in the B camp with this one.

A baseball game is not a place for a baby. Hell there is ALOT of places which are not places for babies which babies show up at. A baseball game though is the primary place.
I say as a general rule, it is best to start taking kids when they are five or six at the youngest.

I DO NOT have the opinion that if you start them that young it is for the better and they will be lifelong fans. Start bringing kids to games when they actually will remember it. Most cognitive adults remember to when they are five or six, though those memories are fuzzy at best. I remember my first bears and white sox games back then, but not much about them.

I am not against taking kids to the park, just not babbies or toddlers. Kids, those old enough to be in t-ball or little league.

itsnotrequired
04-17-2006, 04:09 PM
I am clearly in the B camp with this one.

A baseball game is not a place for a baby. Hell there is ALOT of places which are not places for babies which babies show up at. A baseball game though is the primary place.
I say as a general rule, it is best to start taking kids when they are five or six at the youngest.

I DO NOT have the opinion that if you start them that young it is for the better and they will be lifelong fans. Start bringing kids to games when they actually will remember it. Most cognitive adults remember to when they are five or six, though those memories are fuzzy at best. I remember my first bears and white sox games back then, but not much about them.

I am not against taking kids to the park, just not babbies or toddlers. Kids, those old enough to be in t-ball or little league.

If the babies aren't causing a problem, what's the difference? And how the heck is a baseball stadium a "primary place" not to bring a baby? It isn't like we're talking about some night club or strip joint.

:?:

maurice
04-17-2006, 05:49 PM
If the babies aren't causing a problem, what's the difference? And how the heck is a baseball stadium a "primary place" not to bring a baby? It isn't like we're talking about some night club or strip joint.

:D:

In response to the "remember it" contention, who cares if they remember it? I guess if you go on vacation, you should leave the baby at home because they won't remember it.
:rolleyes:

Again a crying / whining kid at a nice restaurant or a movie is extremely annoying, but the Cell is a loud, informal place containing up to 40K people. Since I don't particularly dislike kids, I find that they blend in well with the crowd at a baseball game, IMHO.

This is actually a very interesting thread because it demonstrates that a lot of us don't like the fans around us or what they do.

Agreed. I hate listening to a whiney kid, but I hate listening to an obnoxious drunk, a loud pottymouth, and a chatty know-nothing much more.

Steelrod
04-18-2006, 04:00 AM
I have always found girls with large tata's to be a distraction, but think they have every right to be there!

Grzegorz
04-18-2006, 04:50 AM
These types of things build lasting memories for children. My grandfather brought me to the ballpark when I was a child and I turned into a White Sox fan because of this early exposure to baseball and my grandfather's passion for the White Sox.

We're becoming increasingly selfish as a society; does this selfishness have to creep into the ballpark?

jenn2080
04-18-2006, 07:32 AM
These types of things build lasting memories for children. My grandfather brought me to the ballpark when I was a child and I turned into a White Sox fan because of this early exposure to baseball and my grandfather's passion for the White Sox.

We're becoming increasingly selfish as a society; does this selfishness have to creep into the ballpark?

Sure it is a selfish society, however I dont think me not wanting to sit by little screaming Tommy is selfish. Its sanity. This isnt back in the days where we had respect for our parents and listened and we were all ok to go to a baseball a mall or anything for that fact. This is the days when alot of kids run their parents. I have an 8 yr old brother who went to his first game when he was about 4. He has been to multiple games already and I plan on bringing him to more. And I have no objections to anyone bring their kids except the people sitting 2 rows up from me at yesterdays game. WHat I have a problem with is a kid who is jumping all over the place or me having to grab a kid because they are jumping on the seats. This is not Chucky Cheese. There is no reason I should have to listen to a kid screaming through the game because the parents thought it would be a good idea to take their kid to a game who is barely seeing in color yet. I will give credit to the kid and parents who were 1 row in front of me their little girl was so good. She didnt so much as wimper throughout the game. The parents even got to enjoy the game. Yes it was my luck that I would end up sitting behind 2 kids at the game. I was thrilled. ;-) But the little girl was awesome.

thepaulbowski
04-18-2006, 07:41 AM
Sure it is a selfish society, however I dont think me not wanting to sit by little screaming Tommy is selfish. Its sanity. This isnt back in the days where we had respect for our parents and listened and we were all ok to go to a baseball a mall or anything for that fact. This is the days when alot of kids run their parents. I have an 8 yr old brother who went to his first game when he was about 4. He has been to multiple games already and I plan on bringing him to more. And I have no objections to anyone bring their kids except the people sitting 2 rows up from me at yesterdays game. WHat I have a problem with is a kid who is jumping all over the place or me having to grab a kid because they are jumping on the seats. This is not Chucky Cheese. There is no reason I should have to listen to a kid screaming through the game because the parents thought it would be a good idea to take their kid to a game who is barely seeing in color yet. I will give credit to the kid and parents who were 1 row in front of me their little girl was so good. She didnt so much as wimper throughout the game. The parents even got to enjoy the game. Yes it was my luck that I would end up sitting behind 2 kids at the game. I was thrilled. ;-) But the little girl was awesome.

You just don't get it. The sense of entitlement is hilarious & sad at the same time. I bought a ticket so I don't want to put with ______.

alohafri
04-18-2006, 08:10 AM
My biggest thing with it is why are you bringing the baby to the game? I can't see a child under the age of 4 or 5 understanding what is going on and that can't be very fun for the poor kid...not to mention the people sitting next to you who have to deal with an irritated kid. I have two nephews who are almost 4 and 2, and my brother's wife keeps saying "maybe your uncle will be nice and take you to a Sox game." My response is the same, "I would not do that to the people sitting around me. They can't handle sitting still for that long a stretch," which is usually followed by an under the breath, "spend some time with your own kids instead of shipping them off to grandma's."

The only time I got truly irritated was seeing kids under 5 at Game One of the World Series. There have been people waiting decades to see a World Series game and it was kind of a bummer to see some very young child taking up a seat not watching the game.

itsnotrequired
04-18-2006, 08:14 AM
My biggest thing with it is why are you bringing the baby to the game? I can't see a child under the age of 4 or 5 understanding what is going on and that can't be very fun for the poor kid...not to mention the people sitting next to you who have to deal with an irritated kid. I have two nephews who are almost 4 and 2, and my brother's wife keeps saying "maybe your uncle will be nice and take you to a Sox game." My response is the same, "I would not do that to the people sitting around me. They can't handle sitting still for that long a stretch," which is usually followed by an under the breath, "spend some time with your own kids instead of shipping them off to grandma's."

The only time I got truly irritated was seeing kids under 5 at Game One of the World Series. There have been people waiting decades to see a World Series game and it was kind of a bummer to see some very young child taking up a seat not watching the game.

Again, if the baby isn't unhappy or causing problems, what is the harm in bringing them? How is that any different than some guy bringing his wife to the game and she spends the whole time reading a book? If they aren't bothering you, who cares?

This thread is quickly turning into the "ketchup on hot dogs" argument.

The Immigrant
04-18-2006, 08:29 AM

You're bringing the kid to the game so that YOU can attend the game. I would much rather see little kids at the Cell, regardless of how young they are, than the high school/college overly-tanned, rather inebriated crowd that hangs out on the CF concourse gabbing on cell phones, smoking (thankfully, that's no longer an option) and treating the place like a cheap pickup stand.

jenn2080
04-18-2006, 08:37 AM
Again, if the baby isn't unhappy or causing problems, what is the harm in bringing them? How is that any different than some guy bringing his wife to the game and she spends the whole time reading a book? If they aren't bothering you, who cares?

I can agree with that. The little girl in front of me yesterday was awesome. I even told her mom that she was very good during the game. It was the little boy in front of her I was not to fond of.

thepaulbowski
04-18-2006, 08:38 AM

It has been a year or two since we had the baby/kid hater thread.

If we don't let anybody in who "bothers" somebody, the place will be empty. I'm bothered by people who have to stand up to order something from the vendor. I'm bother by the girls sitting behind talking the whole game about who's cuter: Pods or Crede. I'm bothered by the guy in front of me who apparently didn't take a shower for a couple days. I'm bothered by the college kids who are a few sheets into the wind and can't say a sentence without the F bomb. I'm bothered by the fact people can't wait until the end of an inning or a break in action to get out of there seat. I'm bothered by people who sit in the wrong section on purpose then make a big production when asked to move. I'm bothered by the guy yapping on his cell phone at the top of his lungs about what he is going to do after the game. I'm bothered by people who wear Cub hats to a Sox game. I'm bothered by the suits who go to games and try act like they are college kids again. I'm bothered by the person who stands up everytime there is fly ball and thinks it is a homerun. I'm bothered by the person who doesn't know the rules of the game but thinks he does and still argues his point. I'm bothered by the person that takes his shirt off when he really shouldn't be doing that.

These types of people should not be allowed at the ballpark because it affects my enjoyment.

jenn2080
04-18-2006, 08:53 AM

If we don't let anybody in who "bothers" somebody, the place will be empty. I'm bothered by people who have to stand up to order something from the vendor. I'm bother by the girls sitting behind talking the whole game about who's cuter: Pods or Crede. I'm bothered by the guy in front of me who apparently didn't take a shower for a couple days. I'm bothered by the college kids who are a few sheets into the wind and can't say a sentence without the F bomb. I'm bothered by the fact people can't wait until the end of an inning or a break in action to get out of there seat. I'm bothered by people who sit in the wrong section on purpose then make a big production when asked to move. I'm bothered by the guy yapping on his cell phone at the top of his lungs about what he is going to do after the game. I'm bothered by people who wear Cub hats to a Sox game. I'm bothered by the suits who go to games and try act like they are college kids again. I'm bothered by the person who stands up everytime there is fly ball and thinks it is a homerun. I'm bothered by the person who doesn't know the rules of the game but thinks he does and still argues his point. I'm bothered by the person that takes his shirt off when he really shouldn't be doing that.

These types of people should not be allowed at the ballpark because it affects my enjoyment.

LMAO!!!!!!!!:tongue: That was great and said well. Dont forget about the people that smoke in the sections when clearly the ballpark is non smoking. This coming from a smoker:smile:

LongLiveFisk
04-18-2006, 09:01 AM

Wow, sounds like you should stay away from the park. :D:

All kidding aside though, I agree. With that many people crammed into seating that close together, irritations are a given. I guess people should try to look at it as it's a 3-hr (or hopefully shorter) game and you don't have to deal with these people for the rest of your life. Yes, some people are annoying but again, you don't have to marry them just sit near them.

And P.S. Pods is much cuter than Crede. That's no argument. :tongue:

Steelrod
04-18-2006, 09:02 AM
I would prefer to sit next to a small behaving child, rather than someone who constantly complains about the game, smoke, etc.
As far as them not knowing whats going on, the same could be said about the many people who drink too much, who spend the game talking on the phone, talking to people behind them, having friends continually visit, constant second guessers, and so on!
Next we should have a seating height limit!

Jaffar
04-18-2006, 09:03 AM
Can all of the baby haters list thier regular seats (if they have them) so I can stay away from you when I take my girlfriends son to the game? Based on how he reacts when we watch the games on tv I would consider him a bigger fan then most of the people I sat around on ring day, oh yeah he's not even 2 yet.

Cuck the Fubs
04-18-2006, 09:07 AM
I have 2 boys ( 2 & soon to be 6 ) who ENJOY the heck out of the ballgame.

I'll be perfectly honest with you, I'd rather sit by kids then next to the moronic drunk idiot that's behind us ALL season long.

Just my .02 on this matter.

alohafri
04-18-2006, 09:09 AM
Can all of the baby haters list thier regular seats (if they have them) so I can stay away from you when I take my girlfriends son to the game? Based on how he reacts when we watch the games on tv I would consider him a bigger fan then most of the people I sat around on ring day, oh yeah he's not even 2 yet.

How did this become a "hate" thread? People voice their opinion on something and just because it doesn't jive with yours, you all of a sudden label them "baby haters?" Maybe the better label is "parent haters." Kids are kids and they are going to behave like kids. If the parents do nothing about the kid who is screaming, crawling all over the place, then shame on them, not the kid. If the kid is well behaved, then congratulations are in order for raising a fine child.

Hangar18
04-18-2006, 09:34 AM
I dont think babys should be brought to a game. The place can get loud, and often startle the baby, and of course, the baby might decide to just cry nonstop for 6 innings. When you bring children, they need to be under control, if they have ants in the pants, then at least we have the PlayPen in LF they can go to, but stop writhing around in the seat, jumping on things, yelling, not paying attention and generally behaving like the fans 8 miles north

Hangar18
04-18-2006, 09:36 AM
My one peeve though, is babies at hot crowded Street Fairs and Dogs at hot crowded street fairs. :angry:

batmanZoSo
04-18-2006, 09:41 AM
I would prefer to sit next to a small behaving child, rather than someone who constantly complains about the game, smoke, etc.
As far as them not knowing whats going on, the same could be said about the many people who drink too much, who spend the game talking on the phone, talking to people behind them, having friends continually visit, constant second guessers, and so on!
Next we should have a seating height limit!

Tell me about it. A misbehaving kid at the park to me is pretty far down the list of annoying people.

Taliesinrk
04-18-2006, 09:47 AM
Tell me about it. A misbehaving kid at the park to me is pretty far down the list of annoying people.

you clearly haven't been around a bad one then...

*half teal*

Jurr
04-18-2006, 09:55 AM
Hell, my dad started taking me at three to Comiskey. It is one of my first vivid memories. That's probably why I'm such a Sox fan today. You may not think kids under 4 or 5 can appreciate what's going on, but it's leaving a mark on their minds for the rest of their lives.

I'll be taking my children (God willing I get to be a dad) to USCF as much as I can. That's what we end up having families for, right? Now, if your baby is screaming, it's common courtesy to take him/her away to correct the issue (or to spike their bottle with robitussin....just kidding). But I'm with the crew that's into taking the family (and children of ANY age) to the ballpark. It's one of the things I daydream about a lot, and I can't wait to do it.

batmanZoSo
04-18-2006, 10:08 AM
you clearly haven't been around a bad one then...

*half teal*

Yeah, clearly you know what I've experienced. :rolleyes: I can think of a lot of things worse than an antsy 5 or 6 year old in the bleachers. Kids are kids, people.

How about adults who piss all over the seat and floor in the bathroom. God forbid you ever have to sit down if you're at a game. How about adults who show up during the third inning, take forever to get situated and constantly get up and order food in your way. How about adults who cuss and carry on and generally act like dumbasses behind you. Or the kind of jerks who clearly don't know what they're talking about, but insist on criticizing this and that all day long like they're experts, yet they don't even know how to pronounce the players' names.

southsidesoxfan1
04-18-2006, 10:12 AM
I dont think babys should be brought to a game. The place can get loud, and often startle the baby, and of course, the baby might decide to just cry nonstop for 6 innings.
We brought our five week old to the game last September. He loved it and the crowd and fireworks didn't wake him up once he fell asleep. See attached picture. Enough said.

miker
04-18-2006, 10:15 AM
My bad, I thought this thread was about all the media and drunk Cub fans that infiltrate our ballpark...:D:

rdwj
04-18-2006, 10:21 AM
Kids don't bother me one bit - but bad parents do.

As long as the parents act in a responsible manner, there is almost never an issue.

Kid's crying - walk the concourse
Too cold windy or rainy - leave early
Kid is bothering people - tell em to stop

No problems!

McCuddy
04-18-2006, 10:22 AM
How did this become a "hate" thread? People voice their opinion on something and just because it doesn't jive with yours, you all of a sudden label them "baby haters?" Maybe the better label is "parent haters." Kids are kids and they are going to behave like kids. If the parents do nothing about the kid who is screaming, crawling all over the place, then shame on them, not the kid. If the kid is well behaved, then congratulations are in order for raising a fine child.

Well said. Yes, kids will be kids - and that's when parents should be parents.

My wife and I don't have kids. Not long ago we were out for dinner at a more upscale place and were seated near a table with three children between five and ten. The kids were perfectly behaved. We went to leave at the same time, and I complimented the parents on the behavior of their children. They thanked me, and made it a point to mention to the kids that their proper behavior was noticed by others.

Where it gets "selfish" is when people think their little Johnny should be the center of attention at all times, no matter what he's doing. That's really doing a disservice to the child.

Flight #24
04-18-2006, 10:41 AM
Well said. Yes, kids will be kids - and that's when parents should be parents.

My wife and I don't have kids. Not long ago we were out for dinner at a more upscale place and were seated near a table with three children between five and ten. The kids were perfectly behaved. We went to leave at the same time, and I complimented the parents on the behavior of their children. They thanked me, and made it a point to mention to the kids that their proper behavior was noticed by others.

Where it gets "selfish" is when people think their little Johnny should be the center of attention at all times, no matter what he's doing. That's really doing a disservice to the child.

Agreed, but there's a difference between a parent with a child that's ansy for a bit and a parent whose child is ansy/cranky and does nothing about it. The former is just part of being in the world, and as a member of society, you deal with it. The latter is the same as a loud drunk. Neither is reason to not bring kids just as it's not a reason to ban alcohol.

And kids start enjoying the trip to the park as early as 1, IMO. My son still looks at pictures from when we took him to Bulls & Sox games and remembers how he enjoyed the music, sounds, fireworks, and general excitement. And yes, he still gets ansy sometimes (he's 4), and yes, I know I'll have to spend some time walking him around and doing things besides just sitting and watching the game because he's got a short attention span. But I also get the memories of being with him at the park, the memories of watching him "get" some part of the game for the first time, and the knowledge that I'm building something that will hopefully be a lifelong shared pleasure for the 2 of us. And that's well worth any sacrifices I have to make in terms of watching an individual game or 5. And THAT'S a huge part of what creates the lifelong fan.

EDIT: Also, in terms of babies at the park, sometimes it's a question of taking the kid or not going. It's tough for parents of infants to do pretty much anything, so something where you can take the kid with is often a godsend. Same rules in terms of being able to manage the kid apply, but outside of the obvious "don't put them in position to get hurt" issues, there's no reason to not bring kids of ANY age.

Steelrod
04-18-2006, 10:45 AM
Watch, before you know it, they'll allow dogs in the park. They will probably bark at innapropriate times, and don't really follow the game.
And to boot, they probably won't use the correct toilets!

beckett21
04-18-2006, 11:00 AM
I think that children should be shunned and should not see the light of day until which time they are able to contribute to society in a productive manner. Until that time, they should neither be seen nor heard from in public for fear of infringing upon someone else's rights to entertain themselves.

That is about how ridiculous the anti-child argument sounds. If we were talking about taking them to a bar or a frat house, I would agree. But a baseball game--GMAB.

Anyone who lets a child interfere with their ability to have a good time at a game has other problems IMO. A ballpark is a public family setting. Just because there is alcohol available does not mean that people should have free reign to act like ********. It's not one big outdoor bar, despite what they may believe on the north side of town.

I've been inconvenienced and angered far more by drunken idiots at the ballpark than I have by children.

FWIW, I don't even have kids. And I was in college once myself. :wink:

batmanZoSo
04-18-2006, 11:01 AM
Watch, before you know it, they'll allow dogs in the park. They will probably bark at innapropriate times, and don't really follow the game.
And to boot, they probably won't use the correct toilets!

Ha. To be fair, I truly think dogs have more etiquette than humans when it comes to relieving oneself. At least in public venues.

miker
04-18-2006, 11:04 AM
I must be getting old...I'd rather have the screaming babies than the swearing drunks.

soxinem1
04-18-2006, 11:08 AM
As much as I love kids (hey, I'm a former child myself!!) I would have to indict the parents on all occasions that they act up, especially at a public venue.

Being a Little League coach as well, I have often reminded parents not to treat us coaches as a babysitting service.

To let them roam around and cause disturbances with no consequence is a direct refection on how they are brought up. By no means do I expect kids to sit there like they are in the military, but they should know at a young age what is right and wrong and respect others.

Today's brat kids are tomorrow's Bandwagon Jumpers!

beckett21
04-18-2006, 11:17 AM
As much as I love kids (hey, I'm a former child myself!!) I would have to indict the parents on all occasions that they act up, especially at a public venue.

Being a Little League coach as well, I have often reminded parents not to treat us coaches as a babysitting service.

To let them roam around and cause disturbances with no consequence is a direct refection on how they are brought up. By no means do I expect kids to sit there like they are in the military, but they should know at a young age what is right and wrong and respect others.

Today's brat kids are tomorrow's Bandwagon Jumpers!
I would tend to agree that in all cases, the parents should ultimately be held responsible. Children are.....children.

Have a problem with a kid? Don't blame it on the kid, say something to the parent.

As far as babies are concerned, as long as the parents are not using the baby as a human shield I don't have a problem with them being there. A person's life should not effectively end because they have a baby.:redneck

kninchicago
04-18-2006, 11:31 AM
I get a kick out of seeing parents walking in with their little kids to the game. The kids are so excited and they all look at the people tailgaiting and you can tell the smell of the food and the big park ahead is really exciting for them.

Count me in the pro-kid but anti-crappy parent group. While I don't have much experience w/crappy parents at the park (only twice have I sat near kids where their parents were oblivious or too concerned with getting plowed to discipline their kid) I work at a school and there's a lot of entitled parents out there--"How dare you tell me my child is misbehaving!" as said child is going through employee offices and messing with office computers.

Jaffar
04-18-2006, 11:34 AM
Sorry I used the term "baby haters", that is my fault. It just seemed after reading 6 pages people were mad at babies/kids and not parents. I agree with everybody about the parents to blame.

alohafri
04-18-2006, 11:41 AM
I get a kick out of seeing parents walking in with their little kids to the game. The kids are so excited and they all look at the people tailgaiting and you can tell the smell of the food and the big park ahead is really exciting for them.

Count me in the pro-kid but anti-crappy parent group. While I don't have much experience w/crappy parents at the park (only twice have I sat near kids where their parents were oblivious or too concerned with getting plowed to discipline their kid) I work at a school and there's a lot of entitled parents out there--"How dare you tell me my child is misbehaving!" as said child is going through employee offices and messing with office computers.

Amen. The parents need to know when the kid has had enough. Staying any longer than the kid can tolerate is unfair to the child. A colleague of mine was just telling me about a time when he and his wife went to dinner, they brought the baby with since they couldn't find a baby sitter. They ordered and within 5 minutes of that, the baby started screaming "bloody murder". His wife took her to the car and he got the meal to go. She had had enough. The poor kid got sick the minute they got home. But he did the right thing by his child and by the other patrons of the restaurant.

Flight #24
04-18-2006, 11:45 AM
Amen. The parents need to know when the kid has had enough. Staying any longer than the kid can tolerate is unfair to the child. A colleague of mine was just telling me about a time when he and his wife went to dinner, they brought the baby with since they couldn't find a baby sitter. They ordered and within 5 minutes of that, the baby started screaming "bloody murder". His wife took her to the car and he got the meal to go. She had had enough. The poor kid got sick the minute they got home. But he did the right thing by his child and by the other patrons of the restaurant.

100% spot on. As a parent, you have to be cognizant of what it means to take your kid to the game or anywhere else and how that changes the experience. I don't think anyone would dispute that. But there are those who just say "kids shouldn't be allowed", and that's an extreme I just don't understand, much like I wouldn't understand someone saying "they shouldn't serve booze at games because some people get too drunk".

comet2k
04-18-2006, 11:54 AM
I must be getting old...I'd rather have the screaming babies than the swearing drunks.

And if you tell a screaming baby to hold it down they usually don't come after you with clenched fists.

kninchicago
04-18-2006, 11:57 AM
One time I sat in front of a family whose under 5's were screaming in our ears and bumping us and otherwise being annoying (when a kid screams in your ear, and is one row behind you, they're literally screaming IN your ear). The parents were too busy coordinating smoke breaks and getting booze to be bothered. It was really sad. Like, good to know where those parents' priorities lie.

maurice
04-18-2006, 12:49 PM
So we're agreed then: Let kids of any age into the ballpark, as long as they are accompanied by a non-******* adult.
:bandance:

Ol' No. 2
04-18-2006, 01:00 PM
So we're agreed then: Let kids of any age into the ballpark, as long as they are accompanied by a non-******* adult.
:bandance:What about the adults? Maybe they should only be allowed in if they're accompanied by a non-******* kid.:cool:

Cuck the Fubs
04-18-2006, 01:23 PM
I haven't read every post in this thread, so forgive me if this is a repeat.

Here's a couple of things to keep in mind folks.....

The White Sox have become VERY family freindly in the past few seasons.

They added Southpaw....
They added a massive section in LF for the young uns....(even though they already had a small section downstairs)
They had "kids days" for how many years now?

The Sox are trying to draw in the family aspect, not shun them. If you're looking for a child free experience, try the dump to the North:D:

I mean after all, baseball is a "kids" game no? As long as the parent (s) are attentive to the kids, there should be no issue.

alohafri
04-18-2006, 01:47 PM
I haven't read every post in this thread, so forgive me if this is a repeat.

The Sox are trying to draw in the family aspect, not shun them. If you're looking for a child free experience, try the dump to the North:D:

I mean after all, baseball is a "kids" game no? As long as the parent (s) are attentive to the kids, there should be no issue.

I don't think anyone is looking for a child free experience Cuck. I think you really hit it on the head at the end. Parents should be attentive to their kids.

Now, do we want to discuss children in Vegas? :wink:

PennStater98r
04-18-2006, 02:08 PM

This sounds like the typical response from a woman that does not have children yet - and is a bit selfish. Nothing will turn a person into a fan faster than hearing stories about when s/he was at the ballpark as a small child. Children derseve to be there, and if you're annoyed by other people's children at the game, you're not going to be a very good parent in your own home - you'll be too ANNOYED.

Steelrod
04-18-2006, 02:08 PM
Ha. To be fair, I truly think dogs have more etiquette than humans when it comes to relieving oneself. At least in public venues.
You do?
Not only do they walk around naked, but they have no problem with public display's of affection!

PennStater98r
04-18-2006, 02:22 PM
(and I'm only 21!!!). I can tell you this much: when I have kids, they'll know when people want to hear them and when they don't... why they have two ears and one mouth.

You're funny.

If you're only twenty-one and you don't have children yet, you don't have a right to judge parents who "can't get their kids to shut-up." I can tell you this much: what ever you think will be a matter of fact today - will be a fairy tail once you have children. They change reality on you my friend. I would dare say your promise are famous last words.

PennStater98r
04-18-2006, 02:26 PM

You have just summed up exactly how I feel about the negative, anti-children folks on this thread.

No. 2 for President - but not President of the United States... Let's make it a worthwhile job like President of Major League Baseball.

QCIASOXFAN
04-18-2006, 02:35 PM
To me 2 and 3 year olds are more annoying than little newborns sometimes anyway, so I don't have a problem with it.

PennStater98r
04-18-2006, 02:40 PM
You just don't get it. The sense of entitlement is hilarious & sad at the same time. I bought a ticket so I don't want to put with ______.

That's just it - someone like that will never get it. It's like trying to explain ethics to Genghis Khan in English. It just doesn't make sense to him for multiple reasons.

jenn2080
04-18-2006, 02:46 PM
This sounds like the typical response from a woman that does not have children yet - and are a bit selfish. Nothing will turn a person into a fan faster than hearing stories about when s/he was at the ballpark as a small child. Children derseve to be there, and if you're annoyed by other people's children at the game, you're not going to be a very good parent in your own home - you'll be too ANNOYED.

Well first of all you are right I do not have kids, however that would not mean I would not be a good parent, and that shouldnt even matter. I have a 8 yr old brother who I love taking places and have been taking to places such as games, the zoo, movies whatever since he was old enough to walk. But if my brother was a kid who did not listen or whatever I would not take him places. My brother is a good kid and has always been a good kid to take out in public. I sat next to a kid game 1 of the alds who should not have been there. i save that kid from falling on his face 2 times. irresponsible parents and a child that should not be at the game. You are right kids deserve to be there, Kids that dont act like complete fools in public.

PennStater98r
04-18-2006, 02:52 PM
Anyone who lets a child interfere with their ability to have a good time at a game has other problems IMO.

:thumbsup: :worship:

itsnotrequired
04-18-2006, 09:21 PM
...and thus ends my first baby at the ballpark adventure!

At the last second today, I asked my wife if she and junior (7 mos) wanted to go to the game today. She said he was in a great mood and it shouldn't be a problem. I warned them that it would be chilly and she packed gear accordingly. We got to the park a little after 6:00.

First order of business was to go get a "first game certificate" from the guest relations booth. Mission accomplished. We then walked across the outfield concourse and up Fundamentals to the Upper Deck. We sat down in our seats at about 6:45 and this is wherethe trouble started.

Of course, he was now hungry so we busted out the bottle. He was distracted by all the activity around him so wasn't eating very well. Then the intros started and the loud music sent him into fits. He is usually well-behaved in loud environments but this just wasn't working. He was screaming at this point. Big problems.

My wife grabbed the diaper bag and went to the bathroom to see if he needed changing. She was gone for nearly all the first inning and then called to tell me she was going to walk around the concourse with him. I guess he was just screaming in the bathroom. She finally came back upstairs and was trying to get him to relax. No dice. Every time the Sox did something good, he would jolt up and start crying. He was simply over-tired. She took him back on to the concourse and I joined them. We watched the game from one of the "picnic" areas and tried to sooth him but it just wasn't working. We gave up the ship in the bottom of the 5th. My wife said I could stay but I wasn't about to turn her into the night all by herself. It was the first game I have ever left early.:whiner:

Obviously, this was a learning experience for us. Lessons learned and advice to other parents:

1. Wait until it is warm. We had him all bundled up and everything but all the extra clothes and what-have-you makes it just that much harder when things go wrong.

2. Get to the park early and get the little one fed and changed a half-hour before the game starts. This way, everyone is good to go come game time.

3. Try day games first. All the bright lights, shadows, etc. was a little tough on our little guy for a first game.

We are going to try it again tomorrow. Who knew being a parent would be a learning experience?

Ballpark 1, itsnotrequired family 0.

kninchicago
04-18-2006, 09:36 PM
Aw, sorry it was a bust. Hope it is a better experience for all family members involved next time around!

BainesHOF
04-19-2006, 02:15 AM
We are going to try it again tomorrow.

This is more bizarre than anything Jerry Manuel ever did.

jenn2080
04-19-2006, 07:56 AM

At the last second today, I asked my wife if she and junior (7 mos) wanted to go to the game today. She said he was in a great mood and it shouldn't be a problem. I warned them that it would be chilly and she packed gear accordingly. We got to the park a little after 6:00.

First order of business was to go get a "first game certificate" from the guest relations booth. Mission accomplished. We then walked across the outfield concourse and up Fundamentals to the Upper Deck. We sat down in our seats at about 6:45 and this is wherethe trouble started.

Of course, he was now hungry so we busted out the bottle. He was distracted by all the activity around him so wasn't eating very well. Then the intros started and the loud music sent him into fits. He is usually well-behaved in loud environments but this just wasn't working. He was screaming at this point. Big problems.

My wife grabbed the diaper bag and went to the bathroom to see if he needed changing. She was gone for nearly all the first inning and then called to tell me she was going to walk around the concourse with him. I guess he was just screaming in the bathroom. She finally came back upstairs and was trying to get him to relax. No dice. Every time the Sox did something good, he would jolt up and start crying. He was simply over-tired. She took him back on to the concourse and I joined them. We watched the game from one of the "picnic" areas and tried to sooth him but it just wasn't working. We gave up the ship in the bottom of the 5th. My wife said I could stay but I wasn't about to turn her into the night all by herself. It was the first game I have ever left early.:whiner:

Obviously, this was a learning experience for us. Lessons learned and advice to other parents:

1. Wait until it is warm. We had him all bundled up and everything but all the extra clothes and what-have-you makes it just that much harder when things go wrong.

2. Get to the park early and get the little one fed and changed a half-hour before the game starts. This way, everyone is good to go come game time.

3. Try day games first. All the bright lights, shadows, etc. was a little tough on our little guy for a first game.

We are going to try it again tomorrow. Who knew being a parent would be a learning experience?

Hope it works out better for you today!

itsnotrequired
04-19-2006, 08:51 AM
This is more bizarre than anything Jerry Manuel ever did.

Jerry Manuel would have benched the baby and waited until a cold, rainy night to bring him back. One bad outing does not a total bust make. The spirit of Ozzie flows through this household and we're trotting the rookie out there again.

:pods:

"Good thing BainsHOF isn't running the show or the bench would have permanent dents where my ass has been for the last two weeks."

Ol' No. 2
04-19-2006, 09:31 AM

Babies are easily over-stimulated, and that sounds like part of the problem. What you need is quiet place to settle them down, but that's pretty tough to find at the ballpark. Day games with smaller crowds should be better. Some kids handle it better than others.

itsnotrequired
04-19-2006, 09:36 AM
Babies are easily over-stimulated, and that sounds like part of the problem. What you need is quiet place to settle them down, but that's pretty tough to find at the ballpark. Day games with smaller crowds should be better. Some kids handle it better than others.
It had been a really long day for him. I found out that my wife had been dragging him all over town yesterday (library, grocery store, target, etc.). He seemed all cheery when we got there but I think all the day's activities had finally caught up with him.

The only mission today is the ball game. He slept in late so should be well rested. We're going to feed him in a little bit here so he will be ready to eat by the time we hit the ballpark (a little after 11:30). This should allow plenty of time for feeding him, getting him changed and getting ourselves all settled in before the first pitch.

He will also have the soothing, sweet sounds of Fall Out Boy to wrap his mind around.:redneck

kninchicago
04-19-2006, 09:50 AM
Hey itsnotrequired, seeing as today's game is probably going to be not terribly well-attended, you might want to think about moving from your seats to a section that's sparse. There would be less yelling in your little one's ears that way, plus either you or the mom could walk back and forth the aisles easily. I bet there would be room to do that in some sections today.

I don't have kids myself but I have done a whole bunch of one-on-one and group teaching with kids ages 6mo through 7 yrs, and I usually found that if I separated them from the action a little it helped them calm down during freakouts, or avoid potential ones.

Ol' No. 2
04-19-2006, 09:52 AM
It had been a really long day for him. I found out that my wife had been dragging him all over town yesterday (library, grocery store, target, etc.). He seemed all cheery when we got there but I think all the day's activities had finally caught up with him.

The only mission today is the ball game. He slept in late so should be well rested. We're going to feed him in a little bit here so he will be ready to eat by the time we hit the ballpark (a little after 11:30). This should allow plenty of time for feeding him, getting him changed and getting ourselves all settled in before the first pitch.

He will also have the soothing, sweet sounds of Fall Out Boy to wrap his mind around.:redneckBring some small toys. If he gets fussy, try taking him down to the concourse and sit down at an out-of-the-way table, as quiet a place as you can find, and let him play a while.

itsnotrequired
04-19-2006, 10:14 AM
Bring some small toys. If he gets fussy, try taking him down to the concourse and sit down at an out-of-the-way table, as quiet a place as you can find, and let him play a while.

We were all set to go with toys, pacifiers, etc. He was simply over-tired. We spent a little time at one of the tables in the "picnic area" (those little alcoves but the food stands) and all we could do was rock him to try and calm him down. Of course, this was when Crede and Uribe hit those RBIs in the 4th so there was some racket even in there.

We are much more optimistic about today.

Ol' No. 2
04-19-2006, 10:17 AM
We were all set to go with toys, pacifiers, etc. He was simply over-tired. We spent a little time at one of the tables in the "picnic area" (those little alcoves but the food stands) and all we could do was rock him to try and calm him down. Of course, this was when Crede and Uribe hit those RBIs in the 4th so there was some racket even in there.

We are much more optimistic about today.Sounds like you're all set. All you need now is a pack mule to carry all the stuff.:wink:

Good luck.

The Immigrant
04-19-2006, 11:13 AM
You should try getting tickets for the club level, if you get a chance. The indoor concourse is fairly quiet, except for the radio play-by-play (hopefully your kid tolerates Singleton better than the rest of us), and offers a good refuge in case the little guy gets cranky - in which case you can continue watching the game on one of the big screen TVs. I've taken my little one to two games already this season and haven't had any problems.

itsnotrequired
04-19-2006, 05:32 PM
s-u-c-c-e-s-s, that's the way you spell SUCCESS!

ballpark 1, itsnotrequired family 1 :cool:

Today was absolutely fabulous. It really couldn't have gone any better. We had the little guy all fed before we left for the park this morning. We took the Red in from the north side and the little guy took a nap from North/Clybourn all the way to 35th. I feel that nap had a great deal today with a smooth flowing day.

We got into the park about 11:50 and went right to the Fan Deck. By now he was hungry so we were able to feed him in a nice, quiet area. So nice with the wide seats and tables. After he was fed, we used the opportunity to grab a bite to eat for ourselves. We then totally lost our minds to Fall Out Boy, gave him a quick change and stopped off to visit Nancy. Nancy was all excited to see the little one (pics in the gallery soon).

We decided to walk up the ramps to the Upper Deck during the player intro. It is pretty loud and we figured he didn't need the extra noise. We were in our seats for the first pitch. Boy oh boy, did it go well. He got a little fussy in the second so my wife took him onto the concourse. They were gone for two innings and I wondered what the heck was up. All was well though as she was watching the game from Fundamentals where it is much quieter. He fell asleep in her arms on the walk back to the seats and slept in her lap for almost two innings. When he woke up, we fed him right in the seats and she gave him another change. For the rest of the game, we passed him back and forth in our laps as he played with some of his toys. He did jump a bit when the fireworks went off after the game (too bad, punk!) but quickly calmed down and remained happy the whole way back home (including the train).

So parents everywhere, it can be done! Stick to a day game when it isn't very crowded for your first experience. Toward the end, I could have sworn he was checking out the action on the field. My wife was trying to feed him and he kept turning away and looking at the infield!

The little one will be skipping the Friday game due to it being so late at night and still a little chilly. The whole family will be back for Saturday and Sunday.

:bandance::bandance::bandance::bandance::bandance:

soxinem1
04-19-2006, 05:37 PM
Sorry I used the term "baby haters", that is my fault. It just seemed after reading 6 pages people were mad at babies/kids and not parents. I agree with everybody about the parents to blame.

I took my son to his first game when he was six weeks old in 1995. He lasted until the 7th inning. That may explain whey he is a good pitcher today who goes deep into games.:rolleyes:

If I remember correctly, he started crying when Bevington came out of the dugout. I knew then and there JR. was born to be a Sox Fan!!!!

miker
04-19-2006, 05:38 PM
If I remember correctly, he started crying when Bevington came out of the dugout. I knew then and there JR. was born to be a Sox Fan!!!!
Many of us older fans did a lot of crying during the Bevington era too!

Ol' No. 2
04-19-2006, 05:51 PM

Today was absolutely fabulous. It really couldn't have gone any better. We had the little guy all fed before we left for the park this morning. We took the Red in from the north side and the little guy took a nap from North/Clybourn all the way to 35th. I feel that nap had a great deal today with a smooth flowing day.

We got into the park about 11:50 and went right to the Fan Deck. By now he was hungry so we were able to feed him in a nice, quiet area. So nice with the wide seats and tables. After he was fed, we used the opportunity to grab a bite to eat for ourselves. We then totally lost our minds to Fall Out Boy, gave him a quick change and stopped off to visit Nancy. Nancy was all excited to see the little one (pics in the gallery soon).

We decided to walk up the ramps to the Upper Deck during the player intro. It is pretty loud and we figured he didn't need the extra noise. We were in our seats for the first pitch. Boy oh boy, did it go well. He got a little fussy in the second so my wife took him onto the concourse. They were gone for two innings and I wondered what the heck was up. All was well though as she was watching the game from Fundamentals where it is much quieter. He fell asleep in her arms on the walk back to the seats and slept in her lap for almost two innings. When he woke up, we fed him right in the seats and she gave him another change. For the rest of the game, we passed him back and forth in our laps as he played with some of his toys. He did jump a bit when the fireworks went off after the game (too bad, punk!) but quickly calmed down and remained happy the whole way back home (including the train).

So parents everywhere, it can be done! Stick to a day game when it isn't very crowded for your first experience. Toward the end, I could have sworn he was checking out the action on the field. My wife was trying to feed him and he kept turning away and looking at the infield!

The little one will be skipping the Friday game due to it being so late at night and still a little chilly. The whole family will be back for Saturday and Sunday.

:bandance::bandance::bandance::bandance::bandance: Sounds great. With each experience it will become more and more familiar. Next you can start teaching him to keep score.:tongue:

itsnotrequired
04-19-2006, 05:55 PM
Sounds great. With each experience it will become more and more familiar. Next you can start teaching him to keep score.:tongue:

We really hope the continued exposure will build up that sense of familiarity. he certainly seemed a lot more comfortable today. Saturday's game is half day/half night so we'll see how he does in those later innings.

As far as keeping score goes, he was grabbing at my pencil and paper whenever he was in my lap.:D:

Layla
04-19-2006, 08:06 PM
After all that has been said on this thread, I would just like to say I'm glad things went well for you today.

robiwho
04-19-2006, 09:51 PM

That's great! I had really good experiences when I took both of my kids to their first games. Little Miss Robiwho Jr. and I will be at Sunday's game for kids day -- let's plan to meet up!

itsnotrequired
04-19-2006, 10:00 PM
That's great! I had really good experiences when I took both of my kids to their first games. Little Miss Robiwho Jr. and I will be at Sunday's game for kids day -- let's plan to meet up!

I asked my rep if I could carry him around the basepath for Kids Day. No dice.:tongue:

robiwho
04-19-2006, 10:40 PM
I asked my rep if I could carry him around the basepath for Kids Day. No dice.:tongue:

Nice try!

chisoxfanatic
04-19-2006, 11:04 PM

Have Mark Buehrle push him around the field in a stroller!

thepaulbowski
04-20-2006, 07:40 AM

:bandance::bandance::bandance::bandance::bandance:

He tried to look at the field? He saw more of the game than the average Cub fan then. :cool:

Steelrod
04-20-2006, 08:07 AM
We really hope the continued exposure will build up that sense of familiarity. he certainly seemed a lot more comfortable today. Saturday's game is half day/half night so we'll see how he does in those later innings.

As far as keeping score goes, he was grabbing at my pencil and paper whenever he was in my lap.:D:
You can also teach him the wave. If it was only infants doing it, we'd never see the arms go up!

itsnotrequired
04-20-2006, 08:16 AM
He tried to look at the field? He saw more of the game than the average Cub fan then. :cool:

Nice...:cool:

It was a really weird situation. The top of the inning ended and it was as if he knew that nothing would be happening for a bit and proceeded to then look around. When play started up again, he would only look at the field. It only lasted for an inning and I'm sure it was just a coincidence but it was certainly a good sign.

whitesoxwin
04-20-2006, 12:53 PM

I have seen this happen a couple times....
Hey, it's cool to bring your kid or kids, but sometimes, common sense should dictate.
Especially, those with those nice seats between the end of the backstop and the end of the dugout.
To me, it's not a site I would want to witness....
Nuff said.

Kuzman
04-20-2006, 01:16 PM
My girlfriend and I on Friday the 14th sat next to Paul Konerko's wife with thier baby boy. Very well behaved little man he was!