PDA

View Full Version : Great New Book

cbotnyse
04-15-2006, 03:00 PM
A new book titled "When Chicago Ruled Baseball" by Bernard Weisberger just came out......it is about the Cub-White Sox World Series of 1906......I havent started it yet, but it seems like a great read about the teams' history and of America around the turn of the century.

Thome's Homey
04-15-2006, 04:08 PM
"When Chicago Ruled Baseball"

The historic White Sox eightpeat of 2005-2012?

JohnBasedowYoda
04-15-2006, 04:14 PM
The historic White Sox eightpeat of 2005-2012?

Notice the lack of deep pink? That's because it will happen

MarySwiss
04-15-2006, 04:26 PM
A new book titled "When Chicago Ruled Baseball" by Bernard Weisberger just came out......it is about the Cub-White Sox World Series of 1906......I havent started it yet, but it seems like a great read about the teams' history and of America around the turn of the century.

Looks interesting, but so far, the only customer review on Amazon is fairly negative. Once you get started on it, let us know what a Sox fan thinks.

cbotnyse
04-16-2006, 11:00 AM
Looks interesting, but so far, the only customer review on Amazon is fairly negative. Once you get started on it, let us know what a Sox fan thinks.

Ok I just had to share this about the book.....let me copy the very first paragraph of the book....."Chicago, Tuesday, October 9, 1906. From the standpoint of baseball weather, the outlook was rotten. Fridgid blasts that gave Chicago its unflattering "Windy City" nickname whipped throught the streets."

I think it is fairly common knowledge to any Chicagoan that we got our name "Windy City" because of our windy politcians and nothing to do with the actual wind speed......certainly any historian would know that?!?!? but this author puts this very inncorrect observation in the first sentence!!!

When I read that I thought to myself, "I just recommended this on WSI and the first sentence is wrong!!!" just fair warning.....:smile:

irish rover
04-16-2006, 10:43 PM
I've gotten through most of it, gives a nice account of the time period and the play by play, but it is written simplisticly(ie 8th grade level and for those with limit knowledge of the sox)

There is a couple of mistakes, ( he apologizes in the front of the book for any mistakes before hand, not a good sign for a non-fiction book, think it was thrown to gether quickly.)

One mistake, is the picture of the west side park(coob park) the caption states that it was the sox park. Every picture I've seen of the west side park had the Trib ad in right field. Plus the sox road unis were dark blue, white cap and white socks, the photo clearly shows one team with that type of uni on. da coob road unis were grey with dark( i think blue) caps

don't get me wrong I rec for any sox fan, but I'd wait for it to get in paper back, cheaper

TornLabrum
04-16-2006, 10:54 PM
Hell, if you want to spend a lot less time and money:

http://whitesoxinteractive.com/History&Glory/1906.htm

I know the author, and everything in it is factual. :)

EastCoastSoxFan
04-17-2006, 01:23 PM
There was a thread about this book last week.

When I read it I immediately caught several factual errors in the "Afterword" chapter on the 2005 White Sox, and I guess I just chalked them up to him trusting his own memory instead of taking time to verify everything because he might have been in a hurry to finish the book by a deadline.

Now that factual errors about the main subject of the book are starting to be discovered by the more historically knowledgeable element of WSI, the value of this book seems to get sketchier by the minute...