PDA

View Full Version : Cool thank you from the Dodgers to their fans tonight

SouthSide_HitMen
04-15-2006, 01:39 AM
The less than 50% of fans (of tickets sold) who actually showed up tonight and sat through the 2 hour rain delay received a voucher on the way out for a free ticket to their choice of two upcoming games. I was thinking about that during the mammoth Opening Night rain delay and the 4 or 5 thousand who stayed like me until the 1:20 (IIRC) final pitch (even my brother ditched me).

The Giants used to award fans at Candlestick who stuck around on particularly cold nights (I know they received one of those orange buttons stating they survived Candlestick - Maybe West or someone from the Bay Area remembers) as well.

Kroozah
04-15-2006, 03:31 AM
A "Croix de Candlestick" pin was awarded to fans at the conclusion of night extra-inning games. And it looks like this.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v218/Jammers99/sfpin.jpg

cubhater
04-15-2006, 08:05 AM
The Sox have done similar goodwill gestures like this in the past. A couple years ago rain delayed the start of a game against the Tigers for three hours and everyone could use their stub for an upcoming game, regardless if you made it to the ballpark that night.

rookie
04-15-2006, 02:10 PM
Speaking of the Dodgers, that Jackie Robinson Tribute video on MLB.com is pretty nice.

SouthSide_HitMen
04-15-2006, 04:34 PM
Thanks Kroozah - I knew White Sox Army would come through. :thumbsup:

WhiteSoxFan84
04-15-2006, 04:42 PM
the good will gesture the sox gave their fans on opening night was a towering Jim Thome home run and a White Sox winnerrrrr! good enough for me :D:

NonetheLoaiza
04-15-2006, 07:33 PM
I was at that Tigers game that night that they gave everyone a free ticket to an upcoming game, that was a pleasant surprise. Also, my family ditche me as well on Opening Night, but I was rewarded with seeing Thome's first homer in a Sox uni.

LongLiveFisk
04-15-2006, 07:37 PM
Maybe there are some WSI'ers who were at Old Comiskey Park for a game in August 1990 that was scheduled to start at 12:30pm and suffered through hours of rain delay before I think it was finally called around 6pm. By about 4:30 or 5, there were supposedly less than 100 fans in the stands and the Sox organization rewarded these people with a free food item and drink and also got autographs by the players.

I know, I was mad because I went home around 2:30. :angry: :tongue:

Lip Man 1
04-15-2006, 10:15 PM
Fisk:

The game wasn't 'officially' called until 9PM or so. Records aren't kept but it is believed to be the longest 'rain delay' in MLB history.

The Sox desperately wanted to play the game because it was the Rangers last trip in, and with the Sox in a pennant race they didn't want to have to 'give up' a home game.

Ironically it was rescheduled as part of a DH in Texas the following week. In game #1 the Sox and Rangers got into a fight and in game #2 Fisk set the record for most home runs by a catcher.

Lip

LongLiveFisk
04-16-2006, 08:42 AM
Thanks, Lip. Do you have the actual date of that game?