PDA

View Full Version : Tigers Stadium - Michigan & Trouble

SouthSide_HitMen
04-14-2006, 11:17 AM
http://www.hardballtimes.com/main/article/michigan-and-trouble/

Sad account of the status of Tigers Stadium.

MUsoxfan
04-14-2006, 11:25 AM
I was just by there about a month ago. It really is the saddest site these eyes have ever seen. Windows are broken. Weeds are growing through the brick. There's garbage littered all over within the gates of the main entrance as if it's been untouched since the last game. The fact that the city give almost a half million dollars a year to Illitch to maintain Tiger Stadium, I'll tell you he hasn't put a dime into it. Well....there is a rent-a-cop strolling the grounds.

There's a sticker on the door to the former offices of the Tigers saying "Fire Illitch! Tiger Stadium deserves better than this." I couldn't agree more

Hangar18
04-14-2006, 11:30 AM
Im glad its still there. I hope they restore it as a museum or something along those lines.

ewokpelts
04-14-2006, 11:54 AM
This is beyond insane.

Tiger Stadium could ber rehabbed AND SERVE SO MANY USES.

1. Baseball Museum (Hall of Fame Midwest branch?)

2. Minor League Park

3. Youth Baseball

4. Centerpiece to Hotel/Biz redevelopment.

5. Concerts

6. Conventions/banquets/ect

It's sickeing to see it rot like that.
I find it odd that the tigers reject an all star event there due to "safety issues", yet the budweiser super bowl party had NO problems at all inside.

Gene

maurice
04-14-2006, 11:59 AM
The decision is coming down soon. It probably will be demolished, like many old Detroit landmarks. There's lots of new development in Corktown (http://www.corktowndetroit.org/2005/index.html) (relative to most Detroit neighborhoods) but none of the developers have come forward with a workable preservation plan. Detroit's mayor (http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060413/NEWS01/604130403):
You have a lot of interesting things and perspectives that have been given about Tiger Stadium, but the only people with money who have approached us want that stadium gone.... We're focused on making sure that we do something with that site. It's a prime opportunity.

TheOldRoman
04-14-2006, 12:16 PM
It's sickeing to see it rot like that.
I find it odd that the tigers reject an all star event there due to "safety issues", yet the budweiser super bowl party had NO problems at all inside.

Gene
Actually, MLB decided it wasn't safe to hold an event there, not the Tigers. the BudBowl event was held in a tent in the outfield, so nobody was allowed to roam the field, let alone go into the stands.

Chez
04-14-2006, 12:19 PM
I drove up with my two sons and my dad to see the Sox play at Tiger Stadium during it's last year. Now granted, Comerica was being built and there was no motivation for Tiger ownership to spend any money on upkeep, but I thought it was a dump back then. The place looked like it was built out of sheet metal rejected by the auto industry. It would be more humane to simply tear it down than let it stand in it's current blighted condition.

MrRoboto83
04-14-2006, 12:57 PM
If you want to see more depressing Detroit, check this site out http://www.detroityes.com/home.htm

It has a tour of all the vacant buildings, it really is a shame. Detroit used to be such an industrial powerhouse.

Scottiehaswheels
04-14-2006, 01:09 PM
Just out of curiousity.... Why are there so many Save Tiger Stadium folks here but if it came down to it, you all would tear down Wrigley in a heartbeat? What's so special about Tiger Stadium for god sake?

Luke
04-14-2006, 01:12 PM
This is just depressing. I wish they would learn from our mistake and preserve at least a portion of the park.

It could be used for Detroit high school, Area Code, Showcase, American Legion, Babe Ruth, league etc.

I don't know if it could ever make money again, but it is too much a part of our past to just tear down. Or worse, leave it in ruin until there is no other choice but to tear it down.

MrRoboto83
04-14-2006, 01:16 PM
Just out of curiousity.... Why are there so many Save Tiger Stadium folks here but if it came down to it, you all would tear down Wrigley in a heartbeat? What's so special about Tiger Stadium for god sake?

I am not pro Tiger Stadium, I just think they should decide to do something with it. I always hate looking at slum property, it is depressing.

SouthSide_HitMen
04-14-2006, 01:19 PM

I may be in the minority here but I rather have Wrigley Field, Fenway Park, Yankees Stadium as well as the deceased Tigers Stadium and Comiskey Park restored & renovated vs. a new stadium.

Some of the stadiums abandoned were garbage (Veterans, Three Rivers) and soon to be RFK & Shea. But the five classic parks are / were worth saving, IMO.

Tigers Stadium was a great place to watch a game - you were close to the field and the fans and chicks who dig the long ball. I suspect a minor league team would draw well at Tigers Stadium which scares the daylights out of the Tigers (who are far worse on the field after building the new park which was supposed to make them sooo competitive) and hence the Potter like reflex to destroy what they cannot control.

MUsoxfan
04-14-2006, 01:53 PM

I'm not either the "Save Tiger Stadium" or "Tear Tiger Stadium Down" camps. To me, if they were going to tear it down they should have done in in 2000. It's cruel to leave it standing. You walk by the place and all you could do is picture all the history that went on there and all the people gathering around waiting for the game to begin. You look at a place where a team that won the World Series rushed the field in 1984 and it looks so ancient and broken down, you wouldn't think anything had happened there since 1940.

To me, they're pretty much gonna have to tear it down. I don't know how good the surrounding neighborhood was back when there was baseball being played, but now it seems to be in a state of disrepair.

I have a soft spot in my heart for baseball stadiums. Imagine if Old Comiskey was left standing for a decade how you would feel walking by it every day.

I_Liked_Manuel
04-14-2006, 02:32 PM
that article is such a piece of trash that it's not even funny. detroit is fortunate that comerica park was built in detroit, rather than a suburb. i'd love to see somebody explain to me why tiger stadium should be saved right now. it's in a state of disrepair- there's a tree growing in the stands. the concrete is cracked, and i wouldn't be surprised to see the upper deck just fall down one day.

riley, along with many others, have talked a lot about buying the stadium since it was closed. whenever push came to shove though, nobody has the finances to do anything with it. the current plan is to rid the park of the upper deck and let little league kids play in tiger stadium. not surprisingly though, people have been talking about this for 6 months and nobody can get the money together. there are MUCH more important things for the city of detroit and illitch to worry about than figuring out some way to save a stadium that's has no purpose and is falling apart.

SouthSide_HitMen
04-14-2006, 03:02 PM
there are MUCH more important things for the city of detroit and illitch to worry about than figuring out some way to save a stadium that's has no purpose and is falling apart.

Such as hand Illitch the money which was taxed (on citizens) to provide "upkeep" for a park he did nothing for (defrauding taxpayers keeping the millions for himself) and now have a non maintained stadium with no funds to tear it down having handed it to Illitch.

Detroit and the county have MUCH more important things then spending money it doesn't have for Illitch as well as the SuperBowl which the city could not afford.

Yes but it was such a great deal for the taxpayers - look at what the Super Bowl did for those three days - they may collected pennies on the dollar for the amount spent. And look at how great downtown Detroit looks now. And look at what the hundreds of millions spent by Detroit did for the team and the city. Not only is the city in the same rancid condition as it was several years ago, but the Tigers have won less games since the new stadium was opened vs. the same number of years prior.

http://www.detroityes.com/home.htm

Heck if the city and county government came up with a couple trillion $ more they might actually have a city worth living in for a couple of months until the money ran out. :rolleyes:

Luke
04-14-2006, 03:03 PM
that article is such a piece of trash that it's not even funny. detroit is fortunate that comerica park was built in detroit, rather than a suburb. i'd love to see somebody explain to me why tiger stadium should be saved right now. it's in a state of disrepair- there's a tree growing in the stands. the concrete is cracked, and i wouldn't be surprised to see the upper deck just fall down one day.

riley, along with many others, have talked a lot about buying the stadium since it was closed. whenever push came to shove though, nobody has the finances to do anything with it. the current plan is to rid the park of the upper deck and let little league kids play in tiger stadium. not surprisingly though, people have been talking about this for 6 months and nobody can get the money together. there are MUCH more important things for the city of detroit and illitch to worry about than figuring out some way to save a stadium that's has no purpose and is falling apart.
http://www.nationaltrust.org/why_preserve.html?cat=7

It's a link to our past and it's hosteed some players who's names are inextribly linked to our national identity. Maybe saving a stadium might bring some happiness to a population that hasn't had much to be happy about for 30 years.

Maybe the stadium is beyond saving. It might be that the whole city is beyond saving, but it's something worth exploring.

MUsoxfan
04-14-2006, 03:06 PM
Detroit and the county have MUCH more important things then spending money it doesn't have for Illitch as well as the SuperBowl which the city could not afford.

Don't forget about the All-Star game last year and a Final Four in a couple years. The city is deserving of none of that

ewokpelts
04-14-2006, 04:10 PM
Y'know...it was a joke back in the 80's that detroit would be rotting at the core in RoboCop.
Almost 20 years later, it's true. there's just no corporation owing detroit or RoboCop.

Gene

p.s. as for tiger stadium? i say let someone fix it up so that it can be continued to be enjoyed by fans...even if it's not an mlb stadium anymore.
Should we trear down what's left of the Pullman town just because pullman co. is no longer there? should we tear down cathedrals just because church amission is down? or the parthenon because athens is no longer a city state?

Scottiehaswheels
04-14-2006, 04:21 PM
Should we trear down what's left of the Pullman town just because pullman co. is no longer there? should we tear down cathedrals just because church amission is down? or the parthenon because athens is no longer a city state?

Wow Gene, thats a bit of a stretch don'tcha think? LOL Pullman Cars helped found our country, cathedrals for obvious reasons, and the Parthenon for historical purposes.... I don't know how Tiger Stadium in downtown Detroit can draw even remote comparisons. I understand what you're saying but new ballparks are built now with regularity because the new designs are much safer/bigger/handicap accessible than old ones, hence the reason we rip on Wrigley so much.... Although Wrigley must be about 40,000 mental handicap accessible. The problem I have with remodeling an existing ballpark in a city like Detroit is its a horrible waste a money. I could see doing something like that in a thriving area but come on man.... Detroit hasn't sniffed thriving in a LONG time. They should only have remodeled if they didn't plan on putting Comerica in. Now? Get rid of it, its a complete eyesore. How much work would that involve nowadays... Sitting idle for so long, they'd prolly have to replace so much it would cost more than starting from scratch most likely if they intend to preserve it as is.