PDA

View Full Version : Most exciting sox game you have ever seen.

Shoeless_Jim
04-14-2006, 11:16 AM
What is the most exciting sox game you have ever been to??

DumpJerry
04-14-2006, 11:21 AM
October 23, 2005. Easy choice!:D:

dllrbll7
04-14-2006, 11:26 AM

Game 2, no question

dwalteroo
04-14-2006, 11:34 AM
I'll drink to that. Game 2 of the WS. I paid a boatload for a ticket, and I still think I got a deal. :gulp:

Hangar18
not counting the playoffs or world series .........
there are a few for me.
Carlos Lee walk-off GrandSlam against the Blue Corporation

BoJackson 9th inning homer/Thomas smoked double into gap to win in 9th
against the Blue Corporation

AJ walk-off homer vs Dodgers

ewokpelts
1.Game 1 2005 Alds
2.Game 2 2005 World Series

Uncle_Patrick
04-14-2006, 11:36 AM
Last year, I went to the Sox vs. Arizona game where the Sox scored 10 runs in one inning. And it was on my birthday, too. That was good.

DumpJerry
BTW, pre-2005 is July 31, 1991. Robin Ventura.

kninchicago
I went to one playoff game, the Boston game 1 beating, but I'd have to say my most exciting game was Crede's homer against the Tribe. I want to say it was Sept. 20 but that date might be wrong. I remember everyone (not that full a house) going absolutely insane because it helped secure the division lead. It was so exciting!

Huisj
Crede's 10th inning walkoff homer against Cleveland, September 23, 2005. I was sitting back in the left field corner keeping score. I almost think I should get that scorecard framed (and by the way, I have to thank folks at WSI for convincing me that it was worth it to drive up and go to that game by myself that day, otherwise I wouldn't have been there).

Second place goes to Pierzynski's Saturday night walkoff against the Dodgers in June. How I got lucky enough to go to both of those games last year, I'll never know.

LuvSox
04-14-2006, 11:38 AM
1. Joe Crede's walk off to beat Cleev-land last year.

2. Robin Ventura's walk off granny to beat Texas in '91.

JoeClutch24
04-14-2006, 11:39 AM
1)September 23, 2005
2)Game 2
3)October 26, 2005

kninchicago
04-14-2006, 11:41 AM
Thanks for the date update--I knew it was around Sept 20something. I don't have a scorecard that night I don't think :whiner:. This season I'm keeping score every time I'm there, I love having the scorecards.

Mickster
04-14-2006, 11:42 AM
not counting the playoffs or world series .........
there are a few for me.
Carlos Lee walk-off GrandSlam against the Blue Corporation

BoJackson 9th inning homer/Thomas smoked double into gap to win in 9th
against the Blue Corporation

AJ walk-off homer vs Dodgers

:thumbsup:Good choices. I would also say Game 2 of the WS, and then each of your choices in that order.

Rocky Soprano
04-14-2006, 11:42 AM
Game 2 ALCS:

When Crede hit that ball, the place went NUTS!

kevingrt
04-14-2006, 11:43 AM
Game 2 ALCS, Game 1 WS, and JOE CREDE vs Jndians were all pretty good. and I think that happened all in the span of about a month.

LongLiveFisk
04-14-2006, 11:48 AM
I wish I could remember the actual date but it was a few years back, the Sox were playing the Orioles, and Rick Sutcliffe was pitching for the O's. The Sox made a comeback (down by a few runs--it looked like you could put them down for an "L") and beat Sutcliffe. It was fun to sing the "Na Na Hey Hey" song to him.

:)

mike squires
04-14-2006, 11:51 AM
Timo Perez base hit to win it in the ninth with 2 outs. Of all the games I've been to that was the only dramatic 9th inning comeback I"ve ever been to.

Jerko
04-14-2006, 11:53 AM
There was a game a few years back vs. the Twins. It was one of those years where the Twins spanked us regularly, and this was one of the few times the Sox won. IIRC, Sandy Alomar scored the winning run in either the 9th (or extra) innings by scoring from first on a triple. I know you SHOULD score from first on a triple, but it wasn't lookin good for a while there. I think the final was 4-3 and it was on or around the 4th of July.

AHH I was close. Alomar actually had the game winning hit, but it was MILKMAN PERRY lumbering home with the winning run. Konerko even stole a base!!!!! Ah, the memory's not what it used to be.

CHI WHITE SOX 9TH: Latroy Hawkins relieved Bob Wells. Konerko singled to center. Konerko stole second. H Perry singled to right, Konerko scored. S Alomar doubled to left center, H Perry scored. MINNESOTA 3, CHI WHITE SOX 4.

North Sox Sider
04-14-2006, 12:00 PM
GAME 2 of the World Series by far

Game 1 of the world series would be number 2

Clinching game of the western division in 1983 when Julio Cruz crossed the plate against Seattle.

Jose Valentins game winning homer against the cubs in, I think, 2003. That was beautiful!!!

2003 Allstar game

mccoydp
04-14-2006, 12:36 PM
The most exciting moment I can remember actually attending (out of the 12 Sox games I went to) was Bo Jackson's homer on April 9th, 1993, off of Neal Heaton. Even though the Sox lost to the Yank-mees, it was awesome to see Bo hit that jack!

Sadly, I had the misfortune of not picking memorable games to attend that season; saw many more losses than wins.

DeadMoney
04-14-2006, 12:42 PM
1. Game 2 of the WS
2. Game 2 of the ALCS
3. Crede's walk-off of Cleveland
4/5. Game 1 and 2 of the ALDS have to both be on the list.

Game One's crushing of Clement was awesome, maybe not tense and a close game, but anytime you can win 14-2 in the playoffs, it deserves a shout out.

edit: I'll add #6 as the game against Minnesota in August of ???? when Konerko came in to pinch hit in the 9th and tied it up with a HR, followed by a Thomas walk-off shot in extras. (At least I remember it going like this)

dllrbll7
04-14-2006, 12:45 PM
It would be sweet if we could actually get a ranking system for games in say the past 20 years. It would be cool to see how many you were actually at.

rookie
04-14-2006, 12:47 PM
Memorial Day last year againist the Angels - Angels tied it up in the top of the ninth, and then we come back to win it in the bottom of the ninth. It was the last time I saw Frank Thomas bat in a White Sox uniform.

Most exciting game ever though - I was at the Allstate when the Illini had that dramatic come from behind win to make it into the final four.

2005 was just AWESOME!

EastCoastSoxFan
04-14-2006, 01:04 PM
I would have to say the game against the Yankees last year when the guy jumped onto the screen.
Aside from that incident (which I didn't even find out about until the next day), it was an incredibly well-pitched, well-defended game that we won 2-1. Contreras put up seven scoreless innings, Tadahito hit an early opposite field solo shot (oddly enough, it landed right above an advertisement for a Japanese newspaper!), PK hit a solo shot off Allan Embree in the 7th, Pay-Rod launched a solo shot off Politte in the bottom of the 8th, and Hermanson nailed down the save when Bernie Williams hit a line shot right to Geoff Blum at first base.
It was, as Farmio would say, an absolutely ELECTRIC atmosphere.
I also remember being at a game in '91 when the Sox won on a game-winning gapper by Scott Fletcher in the bottom of the 9th. But that Yankees game had to be the most intense experience I've ever had at a baseball stadium...

Chez
04-14-2006, 01:06 PM
Most exciting game ever though - I was at the Allstate when the Illini had that dramatic come from behind win to make it into the final four.

2005 was just AWESOME!

That was simply the greatest. It took me three days to calm down from that win.

Max Power
04-14-2006, 01:08 PM
Last year, I went to the Sox vs. Arizona game where the Sox scored 10 runs in one inning. And it was on my birthday, too. That was good.

I was at that game too. Very awesome.

My choice (not including playoffs) would be a game vs. the Cubs in 2002. Cubs went up 8-0 with Kerry Wood pitching and I thought all was lost. Nope... Sox came back to win. The place was going crazy when PK hit a HR to give us the lead.

seventyseven
04-14-2006, 01:13 PM

I don't mean to be a thread-hijacker, but we all know the most exciting game ever was May 12, 1985, Game 4 of the Campbell Conference Finals - Hawks 8, Oilers 6 to draw the series even at 2 games apiece. :D:

SouthsideChi
04-14-2006, 01:13 PM
You have to go back a few years for mine. It was against the Cubs at the Cell and we were down 6-0 early I believe. (Can't remember exactly, might have been 8) But anyway, all my friends from work were calling me and givingme **** about the ass whoopin we were receiving and then we come back and win that game. It was the game where Konerko got hit in the head with a Wood curveball, and came back to hit 2 homeruns and bring us alll the way back to a "W"

SOXPHILE
04-14-2006, 01:26 PM
1) October 4, 2005 White Sox-14 Red Sox- 2

Non Playoffs:

-1993 Division Clincher against Seattle (Bo Jackson homerun game)

-June 2000 vs. Yankees. Friday night game, homstand following 7 wins on road against Jnjuns & Yankees. Sox losing in 9th, but Carlos Lee ties it with a homer, and then Jose Valentin drives in Herbert Perry to win game

-August 1992: Sox beat Twins in a 19-12 slugfest that featured the only homerun in the career of one Esteban Beltre

-June 2002: Sox beat Cubs, led by Konerko's 2 homeruns, after trailing 8-0.

ChiSoxNationPres
04-14-2006, 01:37 PM
Memorial Day last year againist the Angels - Angels tied it up in the top of the ninth, and then we come back to win it in the bottom of the ninth. It was the last time I saw Frank Thomas bat in a White Sox uniform.

2005 was just AWESOME!

i was at both the sox game vs LA and the Illinois game. the Illinois game was probably the greatest moment in my life at that point (sox hadnt won the WS yet). By far the greatest game i was ever at or seen.

grizzbr
04-14-2006, 01:58 PM
For me it was the June 18th walkoff by AJ. I had my kids with me and it was the only game I got to last year (stuck living in Minny). I remember hugging and high fiving those around us- strangers- but we all seemed like one big happy family at that moment. Because I don't live at home in Chicago, I really didn't want to leave the Park that night.

When we finally left, I told the kiddies that we are going to win it all this year and this game was the one we would look back at when we hoisted the trophy in October!

MySoxAreClean
04-14-2006, 02:03 PM
HOME OPERNER 2006 !!!!Unveiling of the banners

chaerulez
04-14-2006, 02:04 PM
Since I've never been to a playoff game, I'll have to say it's the "JOE CREDE!!!" game (walk off HR in 10th vs. Tribe late in the season).

RetireWoodys28
04-14-2006, 02:12 PM
My very first MLB game (must have been '72 or '73), Jorge Orta jacked a walk-off HR against the Red Sox. The exploding scoreboard, the curtain call, all of this makes a big impression on the average 5 year old. Been a Sox fan ever since.

A couple years ago, Garland getting ejected for nailing the then-Twins catcher between the 1 and the 2 (twice!). The game itself wasn't that exciting, but when he hit him the second time the whole park exploded. I am assuming it was the first time JG ever expereinced a standing O.

MY ROTTEN LUCK: I went to the Indians games last year on September 19th and 21st (both of which we lost), but I missed the game on the 20th (JOE!!! CREDE!!!)

HIJACK: Keith Smart's 18 footer to lift IU over Syracuse in the 1987 NCAA finals. I was a sophomore in Bloomington at the time. Best sports night of my life, until October 26th of last year.

gobears1987
04-14-2006, 02:13 PM
BTW, pre-2005 is July 31, 1991. Robin Ventura.Is that the Ventura vs. Ryan fight?

buehrle4cy05
04-14-2006, 02:20 PM
Last year, Buehrle's 99-minute game.

StockdaleForVeep
04-14-2006, 02:41 PM
Other than the first game ever for me at old comiskey which i was too young to remember any main details other than jim abbots no hand and the california angels but

It was some game in i wanna say 2003 when the royals were actually contending in june and we snagged tickets for a jam packed game, i wanna say sox won after nearly blowing it but was a good exciting game cuz it was a nailbiter. It was one of those "Im tom gordon, i need to walk the first two batters cuz i like the pressure" incidents

edit, just thought of another one

july 4th 2001, Canseco hits the slowest and shortest hr i ever seen

Also, sox beat the twins in the bottom of the 9th, sandy alomar somehow gets an infield hit, singleton pinch runs and steals second, back to back doubles win the game
fireworks ensue, sox win 4-3

MadetoOrta
04-14-2006, 02:43 PM
July 1977, Game 1 of a doubleheader against the Royals. Sox down 3 in extra innings, rally for 4 to win game 1, take a 6 1/2 game lead in the AL West and 55,000 people going nuts. Unfortunately, the Royals won Game 2 and I believe proceeded to win 30 of their final 32 to run away with the division. But for about an hour, this grammar school kid believed in miracles. The rendition of "Run Around Sue" between games had the place shaking. I met George Brett at the All-Star Game a couple of years ago and asked him to explain to my son how loud it was at Old Comiskey during that series in '77. He said his ears were ringing after every game and until they played the Cardinals in the World Series, he couldn't remember more electric crowds for one series than in '77 against the Sox. [Folks, they sold about 150,000 tickets for a Friday, Saturday and Sunday [DH]]

CHISOXFAN13
04-14-2006, 02:52 PM
Is that the Ventura vs. Ryan fight?

No. Ventura hit a grand slam off Goose Gossage to give the Sox a 10-8 win.

On the pregame video montage at the Cell, there is a shot of Big Frank hugging Ventura after the blast.

I was also at that game, and prior to last season, I would say it ranks as my favorite.

I really thought that was the type of momentum swing we needed to grab the division title.

thepaulbowski
04-14-2006, 02:55 PM
1) Game 2 ALCS
2) Game 2 WS
3) C Lee's Grand Slam vs the Cubs
4) Don't remember the date but in 2000 when Jeff Abbott hit a 2-R Walk Off HR to beat the Twins, and the Sox started to roll after that.

Hawkeroo1980
04-14-2006, 02:58 PM
a.js walkoff was stellar-----but...

a few years back, Jimenez knocking in the go ahead run against the Cubs. They ended up winning that game. Beautiful day

ws05champs
04-14-2006, 03:59 PM
Game 2 ALCS

Game 1 of the World Series was also exciting through the whole experience. Walking into the park knowing that no Sox Fan had experienced anything like it since 1959 was awesome. And the thought that this could change 88 years of history was incredible. It was a high of several hours.

RealMenWearBlack
04-14-2006, 04:15 PM
Most Exciting Baseball Game: ALCS 2005 Game 2
Most Exciting Non-Baseball Games: NIU and Ohio University when NIU was undefeated in 2002 iirc. Also, Maine West Homecoming Game 2003 against Highland Park.

Shoeless Joe
04-14-2006, 04:33 PM
I completely agree with everyone so far. Game 2 of the WS will probably go down the as the pinnacle of Sox excitement for me though.

Just another game that I fondly remember: In May 2000 the White Sox were facing the Minnesota Twins who were leading us 3-2. We were down to our last out and who else but Jeff Abbott comes in to pinch hit. I could have sworn he was down to 2 strikes too (but maybe I'm just making it even more dramatic). Anyways, he hits a walk off 2-run homer and I just remember jumping up and down right behind 1st base (free tickets, row 1!) in sheer disbelief. Great memory and still have the ticket stub somewhere.

Side question: Does anyone remember who that was off? I want to say Bob Wells but my memory is hazy.

bigsqwert
04-14-2006, 04:39 PM

Game 4 of the World Series.

palehozenychicty
04-14-2006, 04:44 PM
I would have to say the game against the Yankees last year when the guy jumped onto the screen.
Aside from that incident (which I didn't even find out about until the next day), it was an incredibly well-pitched, well-defended game that we won 2-1. Contreras put up seven scoreless innings, Tadahito hit an early opposite field solo shot (oddly enough, it landed right above an advertisement for a Japanese newspaper!), PK hit a solo shot off Allan Embree in the 7th, Pay-Rod launched a solo shot off Politte in the bottom of the 8th, and Hermanson nailed down the save when Bernie Williams hit a line shot right to Geoff Blum at first base.
It was, as Farmio would say, an absolutely ELECTRIC atmosphere.
I also remember being at a game in '91 when the Sox won on a game-winning gapper by Scott Fletcher in the bottom of the 9th. But that Yankees game had to be the most intense experience I've ever had at a baseball stadium... I was at the first two games of that sox-yankee series last year, and even the El Duque-Mussina was intense. Probably the best regular season series all last year. of any team in baseball.

Favorite Sox moment: 1990-Andy Hawkins no-hit loss at old Comiskey...That fly ball that I believe Luis Polonia dropped? set the whole stadium off

SOXandILLINI
04-14-2006, 06:28 PM
for those of us fortunate enough to have been at game 2 of the ws, its a no brainer. a walkoff by none other than pods, come on.

soxwon
04-14-2006, 06:31 PM
game 3 alds vs boston 2005 el duque gets out of a jam game!!!

chisoxfanatic
04-14-2006, 09:10 PM
Game 2 of last year's ALCS. AJ Pierzynski, baby!!!!

Jurr
04-14-2006, 10:00 PM
1. AJ Pierzynski's walk off on 1959 night. Wow.
2. Carlos Lee ties up the game off of Mariano Rivera. The park was electric!!!!!! Jose V. knocks in Herbert Perry for the game winner.

Lip Man 1
04-15-2006, 12:03 AM
June 4, 1972-- The Dick Allen Taco game.

'hey Sparky...you're in deep s@#$ now!" -- Mike Andrews to Sparky Lyle.

Lip

SoxFan928
04-15-2006, 12:30 AM
My memory of going to Sox games starts in 2004, but here are the best ones I remember being at:

April 22, 2004 - Joe Crede (gasp) hits a game-winning HR off Mike Mussina to beat the Yankees 4-3. Marte pitches out of a 9th inning jam.
September 1, 2004 - Ross Gload singles in Willie Harris to beat the A's 5-4.
September 20, 2005 - Joe Crede's walk off homerun in the 10th.
September 23, 2005 - Jose Contreras' complete game 3-1 win. Jacque Jones was grinning at me in every photo I made.
October 5, 2005 - Tadahito's bomb off David Wells.

All of those were great games.

Brian26
04-15-2006, 12:34 AM
I went to one playoff game, the Boston game 1 beating, but I'd have to say my most exciting game was Crede's homer against the Tribe. I want to say it was Sept. 20 but that date might be wrong.

No, that's correct. It was Tuesday Night, Sept 20.

Brian26
04-15-2006, 12:36 AM
Crede's 10th inning walkoff homer against Cleveland, September 23, 2005. I was sitting back in the left field corner keeping score.

I was keeping score down the first base line...definitely was Sept 20 though, not the 23rd.

Brian26
04-15-2006, 12:39 AM
September 20, 2005 - Joe Crede's walk off homerun in the 10th.
October 5, 2005 - Tadahito's bomb off David Wells.

I'll second those, and I'll also add this one:

Sox d. Detroit, Sat Night July 24, 2004. The Sox clawed back into the game after being down early by a huge spread. Crede hit a trademark walkoff homer to win it, and the Sox ended up in first place by themselves at the end of the night....which would be the last time they led in 2004. A great game on a great fireworks night.

SoxFan928
04-15-2006, 12:57 AM
Sox d. Detroit, Sat Night July 24, 2004. The Sox clawed back into the game after being down early by a huge spread. Crede hit a trademark walkoff homer to win it, and the Sox ended up in first place by themselves at the end of the night....which would be the last time they led in 2004. A great game on a great fireworks night.

While we're on 2004, I'll add the Sox' 9-8 win over the Angels on July 8, 2004 - they had a big comeback off Francisco Rodriguez (I think Timo had a three-run single or something like that in the 8th) and then (Uribe?) hit a line drive off the left field wall in the 9th to win it.

chisoxmike
04-15-2006, 01:02 AM
I'll second those, and I'll also add this one:

Yeah, that is probably the best game I've been to. I always remember that game. The Sox were DEAD for 7 innings. They were up by 1/2 game at the end of the day. Everybody leaving was saying "Bring on the Twins!" Well, the Twins came, saw, and schooled us again."

eastchicagosoxfan
04-15-2006, 05:58 AM
I was at the first two games of that sox-yankee series last year, and even the El Duque-Mussina was intense. Probably the best regular season series all last year. of any team in baseball.

Favorite Sox moment: 1990-Andy Hawkins no-hit loss at old Comiskey...That fly ball that I believe Luis Polonia dropped? set the whole stadium off
I was at that 1990 game too. It was really amazing, and it became surreal the closer I realized that the Sox were going to win a game that they were no hit in.

Brian26
04-15-2006, 07:57 PM

Well, Jim Leyritz dropped the ball in left. Then, didn't Jesse Barfield drop the ball hit to right?

Brian26
04-15-2006, 08:00 PM
From Retrosheet:

WHITE SOX 8TH: Karkovice popped to second; Fletcher popped to
second; Sosa reached on an error by Blowers; Sosa stole second;
Guillen walked; Johnson walked [Sosa to third, Guillen to
second]; Ventura reached on an error by Leyritz [Sosa scored
(unearned), Guillen scored (unearned) (no RBI), Johnson scored
(unearned) (no RBI), Ventura to second]; Calderon reached on an
error by Barfield [Ventura scored (unearned), Calderon to
second]; Pasqua popped to shortstop; 4 R, 0 H, 3 E, 1 LOB.
Yankees 0, White Sox 4.

sox_fan_forever
04-15-2006, 08:46 PM
I was at that game too. Very awesome.

My choice (not including playoffs) would be a game vs. the Cubs in 2002. Cubs went up 8-0 with Kerry Wood pitching and I thought all was lost. Nope... Sox came back to win. The place was going crazy when PK hit a HR to give us the lead.

I was at that game as well as the one last year against Arizona with the 10 run inning. Since I was not lucky enough to attend any of the playoff games, I would have to say that those two are the most memorable of all the games I've been to.

Edited to add: I was also at Buehrle's one-hitter in, I believe, August of 2001 againt Tampa Bay. That was pretty cool too.

starboy0
04-15-2006, 10:12 PM
So many... Hard to choose.

3) Chet Lemon's 3 run HR in 1977 to come from behind to beat Milwaukee. That '77 team was great!

2) A.J.s walkoff against the Dodgers last year.

3) The clinching game against Seattle to win the division in 1983.

4) Can't neglect today's game where I saw Gooch and the whole D shine as did Buehrle and Jenks and Konerko. Really, when you come down to it, it will always be today's game.

Bobbo35
04-16-2006, 09:26 AM
Game 2 was by far the most excited game I have seen in any major sport. That place was up for grabs. Tell me one thing though, the inning before Paulie hit the grand slam were you not like, " man this sucks." That was some crappy weather and we were losing.

soxfan13
04-16-2006, 11:23 AM
Game 2 was by far the most excited game I have seen in any major sport. That place was up for grabs. Tell me one thing though, the inning before Paulie hit the grand slam were you not like, " man this sucks." That was some crappy weather and we were losing.

My buddies and I were standing on the left field concourse thinking the same thing then Paulie hit the Grand slam and it felt like it was 80 degrees sunny with no humidity:D:

Get Back There!
04-16-2006, 02:14 PM
Including 2005: Game 2 (no doubt)

Pre-2005: White sox vs. Twins. May of 2000. Sox down 1-0 in the 9th. Carlos Lee his a dribbler with 2 outs, close play at first.....SAFE! Then pinch hitter Jeff Abbot comes in hitting .120 and hits a walk-off bomb. What a game!