PDA

View Full Version : Spewing garbage at MSNBC

mccoydp
04-14-2006, 09:14 AM
I read this right after I got to work and just rolled my eyes. Did you know that Thome is scoring all of the Sox runs? To boot, no other team in the A.L. has one shaky starter like Garland! Podsednik's and Anderson's poor hitting mean the whole team is hitting badly! Gosh, thanks for your in-depth analysis, Bob!

Linky: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12306558/

chaerulez
04-14-2006, 09:33 AM
If most of the Sox lineup was sucking and being carried by Thome I wouldn't mind the article, because then it'd actually be true. However we have more of the regular lineup above .300 than under. The extra inning loss to Cleveland can be blamed on the offense (they had a lot of chances). The 11-7 game to KC can be pretty much blamed on Garland for failing to hold a 6-0 lead. Those are the only two games I feel we really let get away. Only one was with a problem with the offense. (Although they did score only 2 runs in the 2nd game of the season, but due to the number of runs the Sox gave up, I think it's a moot point).

TornLabrum
04-14-2006, 09:37 AM
I googled Bob Cook and found out that before joining the MSNBC staff, he wrote for flakmag.com. His last Sox related column there was titled, " White Sox Whiteout," and the brief description read, "The Chicago White Sox are on the verge of a historic collapse, yet few outside of the Windy City seem to be paying attention."

Of course none of his subsequent columns followed up on this. His next column simply used the Sox World Series win to knock the FOBB crowd. In other words, as the Irish beat cop would say in the old movies, "All right, move along. Nothing to see here."

comet2k
04-14-2006, 09:45 AM
I read this right after I got to work and just rolled my eyes. Did you know that Thome is scoring all of the Sox runs? To boot, no other team in the A.L. has one shaky starter like Garland! Podsednik's and Anderson's poor hitting mean the whole team is hitting badly! Gosh, thanks for your in-depth analysis, Bob!

Linky: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12306558/

You really need to get a thicker skin, as do a lot of other Sox fans. One of the big complaints before was that the Sox didn't get the attention they deserve. Now that they won the Series, they'll get a lot more attention, and some of it won't be favorable. It comes with the territory.

mccoydp
04-14-2006, 10:12 AM
You really need to get a thicker skin, as do a lot of other Sox fans.
I'll be glad to when the morons who write this gibberish actually sit down and watch the games and properly study the roster's statistics.

I see no problem riding Thome's bat to wins; he's the number three hitter, and, as you know, the number three hitter is supposed to be the best hitter on the team.

I'll bet you ten bucks that you wouldn't see a bull**** article like this about the sCrUBS, Mets or the Blow Sox. In fact, I'll guarantee it.

My skin's plenty thick, thanks.

CaptainBallz
04-14-2006, 10:50 AM
Well that was a complete waste of time. That had to be one of the most pointlessly negative articles I've ever read (Tribune aside). Could a writer try harder to justify his headline even though written in the article is his very own refutation????

How most of these clowns have jobs is beyond me.....

oeo
04-14-2006, 10:54 AM
You really need to get a thicker skin, as do a lot of other Sox fans. One of the big complaints before was that the Sox didn't get the attention they deserve. Now that they won the Series, they'll get a lot more attention, and some of it won't be favorable. It comes with the territory.
We still got this crap before, it's not "good" attention, it's "bad" attention. We don't need to get thicker skin, this article is not true, that's the problem. They're spewing out bull****, same as before...we haven't gained nor lost anything in the media.

SBSoxFan
04-14-2006, 10:57 AM
I read this right after I got to work and just rolled my eyes. Did you know that Thome is scoring all of the Sox runs?

Through last nights games Hafner has scored 25% of Cleveland's runs (14/56), while Thome has scored 24% of the Sox' runs (12/50). Was that mentioned in the article?

comet2k
04-14-2006, 11:08 AM
"I'll bet you ten bucks that you wouldn't see a bull**** article like this about the sCrUBS, Mets or the Blow Sox. In fact, I'll guarantee it.

"My skin's plenty thick, thanks."

If it was as thick as you say, you wouldn't let things like this bother you. It's one guy expressing his opinion -- just like all of us are doing here.

SBSoxFan
04-14-2006, 11:08 AM
Wow ... I'm reading it now. Did he even edit this? He mentions twice in consectutive paragraphs that Thome was traded from Philly for Rowand:

No doubt, Thome was brought in from Philadelphia (for last year’s starting centerfielder, Aaron Rowand), to add ...

Counting spring training, Thome, whom the White Sox acquired from the Phillies in a trade for last year’s starting centerfielder Aaron Rowand, has ...
I thought Thome had elbow and back problems last year:

career as a power hitter until neck and elbow injuries ...
He could have written this same article about a lot of teams. 3 off the top of my head:

Indians can't ride Hafner's bat forever.

Tigers can't ride Shelton's bat forever.

Cubs can't ride Barrett's bat forever.

I gave the article 1/2 a star because it wouldn't let me rate it any lower.

Corlose 15
04-14-2006, 11:09 AM
Any article that attempts to provide analysis about the season when its 9 games old either good or bad is a total waste of paper and ink.

Podsednik, Anderson, and Uribe will all hit over .200. Garland's era will drop below 13.00, and Jenks' will be better than 6.00. The fact that these all could happen in Garland's next start just shows how worthless these articles are.

CaptainBallz
04-14-2006, 11:10 AM
Through last nights games Hafner has scored 25% of Cleveland's runs (14/56), while Thome has scored 24% of the Sox' runs (12/50). Was that mentioned in the article?

No. All that was mentioned was that the Sox lineup isn't helping Thome AT ALL (Except Iguchi, Konerko, Dye, Crede, AJ, and Cintron) and that the pitching has been a huge letdown (except Buerhle, Contreras, McCarthy, Vazquez, Freddy, and the fact that Jenks hasn't actually blown a save).

He does have a point.:rolleyes:

palehozenychicty
04-14-2006, 11:10 AM
Yawn. Msnbc also had the nerve in preseason to say that the Cubs almost won it all in 2003. Only in the Flubs world is choking an LCS winning it all.

SBSoxFan
04-14-2006, 11:12 AM
No. All that was mentioned was that the Sox lineup isn't helping Thome AT ALL (Except Iguchi, Konerko, Dye, Crede, AJ, and Cintron) and that the pitching has been a huge letdown (except Buerhle, Contreras, McCarthy, Vazquez, Freddy, and the fact that Jenks hasn't actually blown a save).

He does have a point.:rolleyes:

:roflmao:

mccoydp
04-14-2006, 11:47 AM
"I'll bet you ten bucks that you wouldn't see a bull**** article like this about the sCrUBS, Mets or the Blow Sox. In fact, I'll guarantee it.

"My skin's plenty thick, thanks."

If it was as thick as you say, you wouldn't let things like this bother you. It's one guy expressing his opinion -- just like all of us are doing here.
The problem is, comet2k (and I think you'll agree), that sports reporters and/or news correspondents should fact and error-check their opinions before they post them on a major news website for the whole world to see. That's where I'm coming from here. I do think that this particular article (and its ilk) justify a little passion. :smile:

It's not my intention to start a flame war. We're all Sox fans here, and need to support Jim Thome as he carries the Sox to another win tonight! (could also go deep pink)

Sell Jerry Sell!
04-14-2006, 12:08 PM
I take this article with a grain of salt. For crying out loud, his picture looks like it came from a web cam.

Vernam
04-14-2006, 12:09 PM
Allow me to summarize the MSNBC author's spew and hopefully spare others the agony of reading it:

"I started writing this piece of **** column last Saturday, when the Sox had lost four straight and were looking doomed. Because Thome has continued his rampage, I decided to go ahead and file my story without rewriting it to reflect the fact that the Sox have now won four straight. Why? I'm a lazy, talentless hack."

You're welcome! :cool:

Vernam

ondafarm
04-14-2006, 12:17 PM
Relax, he's obviously a dumb Cub fan.

World Series envy, it's not just an irritant, it's a disease.

mccoydp
04-14-2006, 12:20 PM
I take this article with a grain of salt. For crying out loud, his picture looks like it came from a web cam.

I figured a camera phone, but those are pretty good these days.

FloridaSox
04-14-2006, 03:17 PM
Entitled "Sox Cannot Ride Thome's Bat Forever"

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12306558/

FanofBill
04-14-2006, 03:23 PM
Entitled "Sox Cannot Ride Thome's Bat Forever"

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12306558/

He's right for the first 5 games but has he been watching our last 4 games? I guess, he sounds like some of us here. :smile:

WikdChiSoxFan
04-14-2006, 03:24 PM
almost as creditable as this piece of journalism...

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/47426

MERPER
04-14-2006, 03:29 PM
As a journalism student at the University of Missouri, I must say that was not a great piece of journalistic work...

That being said, he is right that Uribe, Pods and Anderson are struggling.... but with those 3 keys giving the team NOTHING... wouldn't it stand to reason that when they are producing we are gonna be close to unbeatable...

In the meantime, outside of Garland, our starters are doing what we expect and that is WHITE SOX BASEBALL....

mccoydp
04-14-2006, 03:31 PM
Mods might want to merge this with the one I started about the same topic this morning...it's in "What's the Score?"

ondafarm
04-14-2006, 03:41 PM
Mods might want to merge this with the one I started about the same topic this morning...it's in "What's the Score?"

Or alternatively just throw it away, which is what the original article deserves.

JUribe1989
04-14-2006, 06:24 PM
I must say that as a journalist for my school paper, this is just an incredibly poorly written story. Pay no attention to it.

Railsplitter
04-15-2006, 12:37 PM
Shouldn't it be BSNBC?

SouthSide_HitMen
04-15-2006, 04:31 PM
This thread has more responses than MSNBC has viewers. :cool: