PDA

View Full Version : And Bud loses another round

Daver
01-22-2002, 02:32 PM
In the ongoing Twins saga.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/news/2002/0122/1315545.html

czalgosz
01-22-2002, 06:11 PM
From a baseball perspective, that's a good thing, I guess, but from a legal perspective it's an appalling decision. Since when does not having major league baseball in Minnesota constitute a "harm to the public"? It's not like it's air traffic control or the police department or the trucking industry, something that is vital to the public weal, it's baseball! I love baseball more than anyone, but I wouldn't argue that it's essential. I hate to say it, but the MLB lawyers are correct - the judges are making decisions based on emotion, not law.

PaleHoseGeorge
01-22-2002, 07:12 PM
How can you make such a blanket statement, Cz? Did you hear the arguments presented? Did you read a court transcript? I understand the frustration of a lawyer covering his tracks by suggesting the judges didn't know what they're talking about. After all, it's the lawyer's own competence that is being called into question by having his arguments rejected.

However, as an outside party, I think you ought to be a bit more objective with your opinion on the matter--including giving a judge the benefit of knowing how to apply the law better than you. Unlike you, they did hear the entire case.

It seems to be a pretty narrow ruling. If the AP has their facts straight, the court simply prevented MLB from buying out the final year of the Twins lease. This doesn't prevent contracting the Twins any season beyond 2002. What's the beef?

AsInWreck
01-22-2002, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by czalgosz
From a baseball perspective, that's a good thing, I guess, but from a legal perspective it's an appalling decision. Since when does not having major league baseball in Minnesota constitute a "harm to the public"? It's not like it's air traffic control or the police department or the trucking industry, something that is vital to the public weal, it's baseball! I love baseball more than anyone, but I wouldn't argue that it's essential. I hate to say it, but the MLB lawyers are correct - the judges are making decisions based on emotion, not law.

Maybe they are taking the phrase "die-hard fan" literally.