PDA

View Full Version : Chicago NewsMedia Watch 4/14/06

Hangar18
04-14-2006, 08:04 AM
Juan Pierre gets 2 more stories today (he leads both teams with most individual stories, and hes only been here for 10 minutes). Hes being hailed as a hero-in-waiting, and they talk about his speed and personality, telling us to just wait, hes going to be great, but he isnt great just yet.
Its obvious the Chicago Media pre-wrote these stories, hoping that he wouldve been hitting .340 by now, but they wrote the stories anyway, talking about his speed and what he may possibly be able to accomplish. Scott Podsednik, who was also brand new at this time last year, was hugely ignored while he actually started out hitting .300 and actually stealing bases and being a big factor for the SOX.

Meanwhile, the SOX and Cubs have virtually identical records, yet the Cubs are continueing to widen the gap with extra and undeserved Media attention.

Despite winning the World Series in 2005, The White Sox continue to lag far far behind in media attention, losing this attention to a team that finished in 4th place in 2005 and since 1950, has only had THREE 90 WIN SEASONS!!
(Sox have had 13 in that same span) Chicago Medias love affair with the Cubs is repulsive and embarrassing.
Chicago Tribune:
6 cub stories
4 sox stories
Chicago SunTimes:
5 cub stories
3 sox stories
Standings as of Friday April 14th, 2006
Priviledged, Media Owned, Media Favored, 4th place in 2005 ......Cubs 257
Underdog, Media Maligned, Media Ignored, WS Champions in 2005..SOX 220

Dan Mega
04-14-2006, 08:10 AM
Good stuff.

I love how today's Tribune was focused on Garland's ERA and had the win basically as a sidenote. Yet when the Cubs lose, they bury the story with more "we all love Pierre" articles.

Hangar18
04-14-2006, 08:16 AM
I simply cannot get over how BADLY, the Chicago Media wants Juan Pierre to be a star. They IGNORED Scott Podsednik bigtime last year, he didnt get any press, and he ACTUALLY HIT, and ACTUALLY STOLE BASES and ACTUALLY MADE AN IMPACT on the white sox early hot start in 2005.
Juan Pierre? has accomplished nothing, yet, and were being told how great he is , and how fast he is, and how personable he is, and how fast he is,
and how great he is, and OH, Did you realize just how FAST Juan Pierre is?
Hes really fast, according to the Chicago Media, they dont want us to overlook him. Hes a really Fast outfielder, and its high time the city of chicago realized just how fast Juan Pierre is. and personable.

TomBradley72
04-14-2006, 08:41 AM
Whatever happened to the idea of a spoof website (ala "The Onion") called cubune.com?

This morning's Trib is just about laughable. You could read the entire sports section and never know that the WSox are on 4 game winning streak and swept the Tigers and Thome now has 6 homers in the first 9 games.

What you would know is that Carlos Zambrano is on "quest for greatness" :?: , and the Juan Pierre is settling in (along with his .235 batting avg.), and the single A starter Marshall gets to soak up the wisdom of the sage Maddux (ESPN showed them talking in the dugout!), and of course the news on Prior and Wood is very exciting! Little tiny photos of the White Sox...big color photos of the Cubbies...a beautiful overhead shot of Matt Murton doing something. Someone needs to do a thesis on propaganda...and use all this b.s. as the example.

It will just make the impending swoon all the sweeter.

Edit: As I finished typing this..."We are the Champions" came on the radio....put everything in perspective.

daveeym
04-14-2006, 08:46 AM
I simply cannot get over how BADLY, the Chicago Media wants Juan Pierre to be a star. They IGNORED Scott Podsednik bigtime last year, he didnt get any press, and he ACTUALLY HIT, and ACTUALLY STOLE BASES and ACTUALLY MADE AN IMPACT on the white sox early hot start in 2005.
Juan Pierre? has accomplished nothing, yet, and were being told how great he is , and how fast he is, and how personable he is, and how fast he is,
Hes really fast, according to the Chicago Media, they dont want us to overlook him. Hes a really Fast outfielder, and its high time the city of chicago realized just how fast Juan Pierre is. and personable.Who cares about pods and last year, what about THOME and this year? Where's the Thome stories? The guys tearing the cover off the ball.

MadetoOrta
04-14-2006, 09:00 AM
Hes really fast, according to the Chicago Media, they dont want us to overlook him. Hes a really Fast outfielder, and its high time the city of chicago realized just how fast Juan Pierre is. and personable.

Henry,

They can't get over the Sox winning the WS. In their warped minds, they've targeted Pods as THE reason the Sox won it all when in fact it was the PITCHING! In their "all things cubbie" world, Juan Pierre will carry the cubs to the promised land like Pods carried us. I know it sounds absurd but look who we're talking about. They're morons. JUst laugh at 'em and enjoy.

MTO

Hangar18
04-14-2006, 09:03 AM
Where's the Thome stories? The guys tearing the cover off the ball.

Yeah, Pierre has more press than Thome. So does Lee. Its unreal just how excellent Thomes swing is right now, hes a man possessed and its something very very special were seeing right now. Unfortuneately, for those who arent here to watch him first hand, and are relying on the newsmedia for information, I dont think anyone realizes just how on Fire Thome is right now.

SOecks
04-14-2006, 09:19 AM
Yeah, Pierre has more press than Thome. So does Lee. Its unreal just how excellent Thomes swing is right now, hes a man possessed and its something very very special were seeing right now. Unfortuneately, for those who arent here to watch him first hand, and are relying on the newsmedia for information, I dont think anyone realizes just how on Fire Thome is right now.

That's the thing that really is getting to me now. You know if/when Thome goes on an 0 for 10 skid, they will be the first ones questioning if Thome was a bad trade and if he's too old and lost his skills.

Flight #24
04-14-2006, 09:24 AM
Chicago Tribune:
6 cub stories
2 sox stories
Chicago SunTimes:
5 cub stories
3 sox stories

C'mon Hangar, you need to at least be accurate in your totals:

Today's Trib:
3 Sox stories: Game recap, Garland article, Sox Notes
5 Cub Stories: Game Recap, Zambrano article, Cub Notes, Pierre article, mini-bit on Puckett's initials

Doesn't change your results much, but there's no need to overstate thing!

SOXPHILE
04-14-2006, 09:57 AM

Today's Trib:
5 Cub Stories: Game Recap, Zambrano article, Cub Notes, Pierre article, mini-bit on Puckett's initials

Hmmm. Different editions must have different stories and layouts. In mine, I count 6-4 Cubs. (Still lead by 2 though). Does yours have the Q & A articles in the back, 1 about Sweeney and the Sox, and the other, of course, about future Hall of Famer Felix Pie ?

Iwritecode
04-14-2006, 09:57 AM

Anyone want to guess how many articles Lee would have if he had the same current stats Thome does?

White Sox Randy
04-14-2006, 09:58 AM
Usually I read this post and think that it is some exaggeration but TODAY, I culdn't believe the Trib when I picked it up.

A. If the flubs had a 4 game winning streak, it would be mentioned somewhere on the FRONT page - ofcourse the Sox were not mentioned at all.

B. After the Sox score 13 runs to sweep "the hottest team in baseball" on the road and the flubs get pounded by the lowly Reds ,and lose the series to them, the flubs get WAY more coverage.

C. The Sox coverage, ofcourse, states that they won but with negativity added. Ok, Sox win but Garland lousy.
The flubs loss was ofcourse described in a passive way. The flubs didn't get pounded but the Reds bats were hot.

D. Does anyone doubt that if Thome were playing for the flubs right now they would be taking about naming a street after him, erecting a statue or mominating him for sainthood. All you would hear around town would be THOME, THOME,THOME. Now, he is barely a blurb.

Nationally, Thome is being noticed more than in Chicago's media. It's disgusting.

GO HANGAR !

Hangar18
04-14-2006, 10:07 AM

Today's Trib:

Im looking at the Trib now.
6 cub stories: Zambrana losing focus, Game Recap, Flash&Dash Pierre puff piece, Marshall to start piece, uniform decision irks Hairston/Jones, Pie puff piece
4 sox stories is actually Correct.

BainesHOF
04-14-2006, 11:04 AM
Chicago Medias love affair with the Cubs is repulsive and embarrassing.

You are correct. How can we hold them accountable?

I was thinking of a possible pregame rally with a BIG sign showing a story "scoreboard" at the media entrance of the Cell, which is the main entrance just to the right of the ticket windows on 35th. The Chicago newspapers really need to be directly confronted about this.

Hangar18
04-14-2006, 11:11 AM
You are correct. How can we hold them accountable?

I was thinking of a possible pregame rally with a BIG sign showing a story "scoreboard" at the media entrance of the Cell, which is the main entrance just to the right of the ticket windows on 35th. The Chicago newspapers really need to be directly confronted about this.

that wont work. The media will have a field day making more fun of us.
This works just fine. A running tally of just how pathetic the Chicago Media really is, is like a daily slap in the media face, for all the world to see. Truth served here daily.

SBSoxFan
04-14-2006, 11:13 AM
Hey Hangar, do you deduct your newspaper subscriptions on your taxes? :D:

fusillirob1983
04-14-2006, 11:23 AM
It's pretty funny, in the Pierre article, Dustry referred to the "Juan Pierre flair". Then they asked Pierre about it and he said he had no clue what Dusty was talking about.

SOecks
04-14-2006, 11:43 AM
Truth be told I have always really liked Pierre and I am now starting to root against him just because he's being pushed down my throat. Oh well, I can keep cheering for him when he goes to another team next year in FA I guess.

BainesHOF
04-14-2006, 12:29 PM
that wont work. The media will have a field day making more fun of us.
This works just fine. A running tally of just how pathetic the Chicago Media really is, is like a daily slap in the media face, for all the world to see. Truth served here daily.

Don't assume it won't work, especially as the season grows older and the gap wider. Trust me, the newspaper circulation at the two Chicago papers is in a free fall of sorts. If they start attracting bad attention on a wider scale about their biased coverage, things will change faster than you might think.

Frater Perdurabo
04-14-2006, 01:53 PM
Don't assume it won't work, especially as the season grows older and the gap wider. Trust me, the newspaper circulation at the two Chicago papers is in a free fall of sorts. If they start attracting bad attention on a wider scale about their biased coverage, things will change faster than you might think.

If everyone REALLY wants to make a difference, everyone who cares should:

1. Choose one or two Tribune and Sun-Times advertisers. Call them or e-mail them, and tell them you are choosing not to patronize their business because they advertise in the Trib or Sun-Times. Tell them that you are doing this because you are a Sox fan and both papers qualitatively and quantitatively favor the Cubs. Tell them that you instead will patronize a competitor who does not advertise in either paper, and that you will have all your friends, co-workers, family and neighbors do the same.

2. Call the Tribune's and Sun-Times's circulaton/subscription departments and tell them that you have done, why you did it, and that you will tell all your friends, co-workers, family and neighbors to do the same. Then tell them you have lots of disposable income. Then tell them you will cancel your subscription to their paper (whether or not you really have one). Then tell them you will re-register for their web site using a fake e-mail address and fake information that says you are dirt poor, live in Podunk, Nebraska or Fargo, North Dakota, simply to "steal" their information while skewing their readership demographics. Tell them you will tell all your friends, co-workers, family and neighbors to do the same.

:supernana: