PDA

View Full Version : El Caballo!

MERPER
04-14-2006, 02:46 AM
Guys-- Carlos Lee has become a real force at the plate... I know his effort and hard work came into question, but I enjoyed him when he wore the black & white and I wish him the best of luck! We have our trophy and he doesn't have his, but I hope he blossoms and has the Sox to thank for developing him!

oeo
04-14-2006, 07:17 AM
Guys-- Carlos Lee has become a real force at the plate... I know his effort and hard work came into question, but I enjoyed him when he wore the black & white and I wish him the best of luck! We have our trophy and he doesn't have his, but I hope he blossoms and has the Sox to thank for developing him!

He even hustled to make a couple of real nice defensive plays, one in which he saved the game by robbing a homerun. Why didn't he show that hustle when he was here?

Anyway, I'm still a huge CLee fan as well, I wish him the best even if he was one lazy guy here.

PaulDrake
04-14-2006, 08:22 AM
Let me go on record again and be the lonely voice who says that Carlos Lee had become a much better fielder in his last season with the Sox. I never agreed with the consensus here that said he always was a butcher in the field. By the way, that catch he made yesterday was nothing short of sensational. I always liked cub killer El Caballo and wish him the best.

oeo
04-14-2006, 08:49 AM
Let me go on record again and be the lonely voice who says that Carlos Lee had become a much better fielder in his last season with the Sox. I never agreed with the consensus here that said he always was a butcher in the field. By the way, that catch he made yesterday was nothing short of sensational. I always liked cub killer El Caballo and wish him the best.

He was not very good defensively, mostly because he was lazy. If he would have hustled a little more and got the ball in a little faster, then there wouldn't have been a problem.

palehozenychicty
04-14-2006, 11:14 AM
He was not very good defensively, mostly because he was lazy. If he would have hustled a little more and got the ball in a little faster, then there wouldn't have been a problem.

Exactly. He'd still be here, as he had world class ability, AND we could've snagged Podsednik, of course. :D:

Hangar18
04-14-2006, 11:29 AM
I really hope that the Brewers have big success this year, and Caballo too
and that he STAYS IN MILWAUKEE, I dont want him to be a Free Agent

TheDarkGundam
04-14-2006, 11:51 AM
I've still got my Carlos Lee jersey (mainly becuase i'm too lazy to get it changed to someone else). I also think it's funny that the two (modern) Sox jerseys I have are Lee and Jenks, both #45.

Chicken Dinner
04-14-2006, 12:25 PM

But he wants to!

Frater Perdurabo
04-14-2006, 01:54 PM
Why didn't he show that hustle when he was here?

Contract year. :(:

chisox
04-14-2006, 02:07 PM
the first grab he made was disgusting. absolutely filthy.

rookieroy
04-14-2006, 02:28 PM
Lee's problem was his attitude and baserunning. The latter, it could be argued he might be the worst ever in the history of the game. How many times can a player overrun or get picked off third base in their career?

Let's also not forget that he was a converted outfielder from 3rd base. I read a few times he never played outfield in his life until he was up with the Sox. That's because Joe Crede was the future 3rd baseman. I'm always surprised that Lee is never given some slack because of this. Regardless, Carlos will be an all-star this year. I wouldn't be surpised if he becomes a Flub and playing left or right field for them after the all-star break this year.

ode to veeck
04-15-2006, 08:36 AM
There will always be a warm spot in my heart for El Caballo. He could always hit the crap out of the ball and he was one of our greatest "Cub Killas" when he was here. While we chided him about being a lawn chair in LF, his OF skills did significantly improve over time. Just like Aaron, we were sorry to see him go, but a good trade without a doubt for the Sox.

miker
04-15-2006, 09:54 AM
I liked C. Lee too, but is there any significance to the appearance of this thread while the current left fielder C.Lee was traded for is about two-for-April?

ondafarm
04-15-2006, 05:58 PM

And I will go on record saying that means you really don't know much about baseball. Carlos played deep on everything, so he should be able to get to the fence readily. For such an athletic guy, it was a shame Carlos didn't play better defense. He does record on the low side of average percent of his teams put outs, so he is better than Manny. On the other hand Pods records a significantly higher percentage of the team's outs. Pods positions far better, plays shallow on opposite field pull hitters (as is appropriate) something I never saw Carlos Lee do. Carlos did make spectatcular looking plays but that was because he was out of position, something Pods rarely is.

infohawk
04-17-2006, 03:29 PM
I'm a Carlos Lee fan, but one of my favorite Ozzie quotes is the one about how Carlos Lee "slid into second base like his wife was turning the double-play." Classic stuff!

HotelWhiteSox
04-17-2006, 04:44 PM
The Brewers need to come back to the AL, I want to make some more roadtrips. My only team is the Sox, but I like to follow them from afar as CLee was one of my favorites. Who was the bonehead that didn't schedule Sox/Brewers for interleague this year?

I am considering taking a trip this weekend. $11 (half price) seats, $7 parking (normal), and $1 hot dogs for the games against the Reds this weekend for their 'spring special'. The only issue is gas prices, but that's cheaper than a Wolves game

Tragg
04-17-2006, 10:19 PM
I always hated the Brewers when they were in the AL. They never did much of anything for themselves, but seemed to give us a hard time.

ComiskeyBrewer
04-18-2006, 08:51 AM

If the Brewers are out of it come the trade deadline, they will trade him for a young catcher and/or pitching. The brewers have a plethora of Young, cheap, good OFers who can take over and play well(Gabe Gross, and Corey Hart to name two on the roster right now). However, rumor has it that if the Brewers are in contention, they will hold onto him, and risk letting him walk come free agency(rumor also says he wants to test the FA market).

ComiskeyBrewer
04-18-2006, 08:55 AM
The Brewers need to come back to the AL, I want to make some more roadtrips. My only team is the Sox, but I like to follow them from afar as CLee was one of my favorites. Who was the bonehead that didn't schedule Sox/Brewers for interleague this year?

I am considering taking a trip this weekend. $11 (half price) seats, $7 parking (normal), and $1 hot dogs for the games against the Reds this weekend for their 'spring special'. The only issue is gas prices, but that's cheaper than a Wolves game

actually, there are cheaper seats than that available. 7.50 for all Bleacher seats, $6 for Terrace Reserved, and 2.50 for Bernie's Terrace. And yes, Dollar Dogs and Small Sodas definately rocks(as i drink all my beer in the parking lot anyways).

Uncle_Patrick
04-18-2006, 09:04 AM
I always hated the Brewers when they were in the AL. They never did much of anything for themselves, but seemed to give us a hard time.

Yeah, exactly. It seemed like every Sox game at the old ballpark I went to as a kid was Sox vs. Brewers and the Sox usually lost. I like them now that they are in the NL Central, though. I just don't get why the schedule makers don't make Sox vs. Brewers interleague games.

ComiskeyBrewer
04-18-2006, 09:15 AM
Yeah, exactly. It seemed like every Sox game at the old ballpark I went to as a kid was Sox vs. Brewers and the Sox usually lost. I like them now that they are in the NL Central, though. I just don't get why the schedule makers don't make Sox vs. Brewers interleague games.

You would think it would be obvious to schedule that series, being that the teams are less than 100 miles apart from each other. But instead, the Brewers play the Indians and Royals, and the sox play the Reds and Cardinals. :angry:

soxinem1
04-18-2006, 05:47 PM
When the Brewers went to the NL many 'experts' said that the Sox-Brewer rivalry never was that great, but the Brewer-cub one would be more fitting because it was when the Braves were in Milwaukee. I personally always liked going to County Stadium and always loved the tailgating, not to mention the 'lame' Sox-Brewers rivalry.

I guess that Rockies-Sox rivalry has more bite, huh?:tongue:

I too always liked CLee and miss him here, but I think trading him was best, as Oz/Carlos would not have mixed well last year. But to totally downcast him like some are is a bit unfair. The guy was a lumbering 3B by trade who will probably be better as a DH whan all is said and done. I think he has made big strides (no puns intended) as an OF and plays LF the best he can.

Ripping him for playing deep makes no sense, as most OF without a lot of range do the same. Did anyone remember Ron Kittle? Dan Pasqua? Ivan Calderon? They all played reasonably deep and cheated on a lot of balls. All I know is I'd rather have a guy who goes back better than forward, if it were me. A ball that drops in front of you is a single. Off the wall is usually a 2B or 3B.

ondafarm
04-18-2006, 06:40 PM
You would think it would be obvious to schedule that series, being that the teams are less than 100 miles apart from each other. But instead, the Brewers play the Indians and Royals, and the sox play the Reds and Cardinals. :angry:

The schedule of who plays whom (NB) is made out years in advance based on rank you finish in the division versus rank the other teams finish in the division.

Nobody figured the Sox would win the division, although the Brewers coming in fourth might have been expected.

The typical pattern is: ALCD #1 plays NLCD #1, 2, 3, 5
ALCD #2 plays NLCD #1, 2, 4, 6
ALCD #3 plays NLCD #1, 3, 4, 5
ALCD #4 plays NLCD #2, 3, 5, 6
etc.

ondafarm
04-18-2006, 06:45 PM
Ripping him for playing deep makes no sense, as most OF without a lot of range do the same. Did anyone remember Ron Kittle? Dan Pasqua? Ivan Calderon? They all played reasonably deep and cheated on a lot of balls. All I know is I'd rather have a guy who goes back better than forward, if it were me. A ball that drops in front of you is a single. Off the wall is usually a 2B or 3B.

The hardest play for an outfielder to make is the ball over your head. You have to turn your back and run towards the fence. I can't do it worth spit, but a professional outfielder should be able to. El Caballo has decent speed for a big man, but he seems to lack the professionalism about playing his position as well as he can. Carlos is much faster than Ron Kittle ever was. Playing shallower means you get to a lot more balls and catch them.

hawkjt
04-19-2006, 12:38 AM
I know CLee made many sliding catches that were web gems in his last year with the sox but I wont argue he was a great defender but adequate plus with a good arm that threw out some runners.

But the bottom line is right now he is one of the great sluggers of the league; he can rake and for power. In a free agency year no less. CLee is going to be a very rich man by this time next year.

the sox have spread some good hitters around the league lately in maggs,clee,Hurt,rowand-all products of sox system. Says a lot for the farm system.