PDA

View Full Version : After 9 games....

WhiteSoxFan84
04-13-2006, 07:01 PM
THE (VERY, VERY, VERY) GOOD

Jim Thome leads the White Sox in batting average, home runs, RBIs, runs, total bases, walks, on-base percentage, slugging percentage, and on-base + slugging percentage. That's 9 of the top offensive figures in baseball. I think Thome alone is replacing Frank Thomas (.138 BA, 1 HR, 6 RBI) AND Aaron Rowand (.286 BA, 1 HR, 3 RBI) just fine (so far, miss'em both though).

THE BAD

Brian Anderson is not doing so well in centerfield, offensively and defensively. His .154 batting average is not impressing anybody and his 11 strike-outs in 26 at-bats are not either. In yesterday's game, he dropped a ball hit to him that turned into a double and was eventually followed up by a 2-run homer to cut the Sox lead from 3 runs to 1 run. He himself admitted he should've had that ball. Take out his April 2nd performance vs. the Indians and his stats look like this: .087 BA (2/23), 0 RBI, 1 extra-base hit. He has struck-out at least once in every game he has batted in and has struck out twice in 4 of those 7 games.

THE UGLY

Scott Podsednik is in a slump.... a major slump. .059 BA, .135 OBP, 0 stolen base attempts! He has 2 hits in 34 at-bats, 1 extra-base hit, and 1 RBI. Maybe marriage was a bad idea...
Jon Garland looks horrible. Contract extension came a little too soon? Maybe. But it's only 2 starts. Have yourself a hell of a rest of the season JGar.

All this being said, to be 5-4 with so many players struggling is a very good sign. The hang over affect seems to have disappeared on most of the team and the rest are almost fully recovered.

Throw in any other tidbits you have about the first 9 games and/or simply comment on mine or someone elses...

delben91
04-13-2006, 07:09 PM
More Good:

Buehrle, Vazquez, Contreras, Garcia.

Dye and Iguchi seem to be finding their stroke, and Konerko is definitely looking much better than he did last week, though he isn't there yet. Crede is a rock at third base as usual.

SoxFan76
04-13-2006, 07:23 PM
After 9 games, who gives a ****? They're finally getting some sort of a groove and winning games. The rest of the pieces will fall into place.

Chicken Dinner
04-13-2006, 07:34 PM
Podsednik is the only real issue right now. The hole he's digging is getting deep. Brian Anderson will come around and Garland is just Garland.

cbotnyse
04-13-2006, 07:35 PM
I would say Crede's defense is a huge good sign.....the guy makes every play look like a web gem.....and when you describe Thome lke that, damn thats pretty good....

SOXandILLINI
04-13-2006, 08:03 PM
i sure hope he turns it around ... and fast.. but we caved to jon garland. we had a major discussion on this after the season ended last year. now if he goes on to right the ship all is well. however, at the time, he in no way deserved what he was looking for, he had 3/4 of a great year. the rest of his career to this point have been sketchy at best. oh well, its water under the bridge now. get it together jon, BM is breathing down your neck.... cbot, tell johnny z... billy wilson says hi.

lostletters
04-13-2006, 08:13 PM
Pods has only one place to go, and that is up. The same goes for Brian Anderson. Pods did not have a full spring training, and that may be messing with everything. Luckily our lineup and bench are good enough to manage the situation.

I would like to add to the good: Cintron is doing a heck of a job. We got this guy for almost NOTHING. He is starter quality in my mind.

AJ is batting much better then he did last year. I think we may be seeing the arrival of the perenial .300 hitter AJ.

Thome and JV were brilliant pickups by KW. Thome is a thunder god and makes up for Rowand not being in the lineup anymore plus some, as well as the slump that pods is in.

Save for Pods and Anderson, I would give our lineup a solid A. They are proving that hitting is contageous. Hopefully it spreads to the ones slumping as well.

Also I think Thornton is a decent middle reliever. I think he is better then Marte would have been this season. He is not great, but he is definately solid, and relieves any worries I had with the bullpen. Also McCarthy is doing a great job out of the pen, though I do wish to see him starting one day.

Garland needs improvement, though I think the first game was just a fluke. I think the off days are NOT helping him.

MERPER
04-13-2006, 08:46 PM
Garland looks brutal but I am sure Coop will get him straightened out... his command is there.. I think he is leaving too many pitches over the plate...

If you expect much from Anderson, you're fooling yourself right now.... While I'd hope he could hit around .200 with 10 bombs, I only care that he plays a good centerfield and so far he's been fine minus the one miscue yesterday... but fellas, even Torii Hunter and Rowand make mistakes it happens

While Pods is struggling, I am encouraged by the fact that he is making contact... if he were striking out frequently, then I'd be worried.. but he's putting wood on the ball and as soon as the ball begins to find some holes he'll be fine...

All this being said, and we are 5-4... when this team is clicking on all cylinders they will be an absolute juggernaut!!!

soxfanreggie
04-13-2006, 08:52 PM
With BMac, I'm not worried about our starting pitching as much as I am about our offense. We count on Pods a lot for his offense and baserunning, and if he's not giving that, it hurts us.

Thome is playing like an MVP candidate right now; however, he might fall into the DHs rarely win MVP awards-when Frank won his, he was at 1st, same with Giambi and Mo Vaughn.

Our starting pitchers...Burls, JC, Vaz...all pitching quite well.

Foulke You
04-13-2006, 09:35 PM
Garland looks brutal but I am sure Coop will get him straightened out... his command is there.. I think he is leaving too many pitches over the plate...
I would have to disagree MERPER, I think that his problem is definitely a command issue. The only pitch he is only throwing right now with any confidence is the sinker. It is shades of the Jon Garland of a couple years ago. Last year he was spotting his fastball with the sinker and throwing his change and slider for good measure hence the 18 win season. Garland can't live with just his sinker ball this year if he wants a repeat performance of '05.

What is discouraging is that in both of his starts, he was staked to big early leads (6-0 in KC, and 9-1 in Detroit) and he squandered both. I do think he'll come around but he has to start getting his command back. When he is commanding all 4 pitches of his pitches for a strike, he can be lights out (like last year's ALCS vs Anaheim). Sometimes, after players get big long term deals, they press a bit to show management that they were worth it. Perhaps this is what is ailing Jon at the moment.

caulfield12
04-13-2006, 09:41 PM
Seems our questions about Garcia were answered yesterday.

The main concerns are Pods, Anderson, Garland....Uribe and Jenks being secondary issues.

The problem is that Mackowiak isnīt doing well either, so 75% of our outfield has been basically inept, and Dye has been hurt.

Owens and Sweeney still have a ways to go, but I think at least two of those three will get it figured out in the next couple of weeks.

Jenks bothers me a little, if he can pitch effectively at 94-96 instead of 97-99. Nightmares of Billy Koch days I guess.

I also am somewhat concerned about Politte as well....if he doesnīt get it together, we have another huge hole in the bullpen. McCarthy has already moved from 6-7 to 7, 8 and maybe a closer in less than two weeks.

Ol' No. 2
04-13-2006, 11:22 PM
More bad: People who don't know good CF defense from bad.

IlliniSox4Life
04-13-2006, 11:32 PM
I'm not concerned about anything really. For the most part, we have been healthy (except for a strained muscle by Dye, and Hermanson who we weren't counting on coming into the season). There were some hiccups, but nobody seems to be showing signs of anything they can't come out of. Pods will hit eventually, and Anderson will improve at least a little bit too. It is still only 9 games into the season and most of these guys are coming off the biggest emotional high a baseball player will ever experience. I would be shocked if they started off as good as they did last year.

What I think is most important that I see is just as good a team atmosphere as last year. I think this year the team is a lot more mature (they've already won it all, plus we've added a vet like Thome). There's enough young blood there in McCarthy, Anderson, Logan, and the always young at heart Buehrle to keep them excited though. Also, the starting pitching looks like it could be even better than last year. I wouldn't put it past any of them to win 20 games (even Garland).

Bobbo35
04-13-2006, 11:43 PM
Lets be honest here. The Sox have played 9 games. We cannot be so quick to rush judgement yet on the ones who are having some trouble. I think the coaching staff is good enough to get everyone on track. In regards to Anderson, this is what I expected. Remeber Rowand when he started. People were questioning whether or not he had it. That is one of the things we are going to have to deal with this year. This team is on the right track. When you have a guys like Thome, Konerko and Dye out there others will be soon to follow.

Beautox
04-14-2006, 01:05 AM
With regards to Garland i think he will return to his '05 form hes just been keeping to much over the plate.

As for Pods a prime example of someone breaking out of a slump just occurred last night and tonight with Jeff Francoeur of the braves now i realize Francoeur is a "baby brave" but he was looking just like scotty up at the plate. Putting good wood on the ball, only problem was it was going right at someone(2for35). Podsednik will turn it around and for the time being are 2-7 hitters are getting it done.

Brian is right where i expect him to be. Hes making rookie mistakes at the plate. Taking the good and swinging at the bad and thats to be expected because hes a rookie. Personally i think hes playing solid D, everyone makes mistake even the infallible aaron rowand made mistakes and misread balls.

Other good in my eyes is the fact that some teams have are lucky to have a 1, 2 punch when it comes to pitching case and point the bosox with Schilling and Beckett, but the white sox have a 1 2 punch, 3 roundhouse kick to the face, 4 knee to the groin and 5 gouge the eyes pitching staff (sorry for the graphic detail but i felt it needed to be said).

Lastly i think Thorton has really turned a corner with Coop's help. In todays outing he just had bad luck with the 3 hits and he still got the job done with two SO. I believe he threw 22 pitches and 19 of them were for strikes, and that sharp breaking pitch that he featured to get Curtis Granderson to SO is all he needs to get the job done. Before people would just sit on his 97mph fast ball until they could handle it now that he has control and a decent breaking ball i think hes going to be real good, each outing he just gets better and better. Joe Borchard thank you!

elrod
04-14-2006, 01:16 AM
McCarthy has been a real bright spot so far. He's shown no problem adjusting to the bullpen, which is especialy important considering the struggles of Politte and Jenks.

Chisox003
04-14-2006, 01:20 AM
THE BAD

Brian Anderson is not doing so well in centerfield, offensively and defensively.
Wait, what has he done wrong defensively? :?:

Because he hasn't made a diving catch/crashed into the wall yet, or because there was a ducksnort that fell in front of him yesterday?

I don't follow

milrtyme28
04-14-2006, 03:05 AM
I like what Ive seen from Thornton so far - this guy brings it. The velocity is there and the word on him has been that he just had no control.

He is improving and has has 2, or s it 3? good outings at this point.

Look for this guy to help out big time late in games this year.

GoSox2K3
04-14-2006, 09:54 AM
After 9 games....it's hard to tell much. Heck, Vazquez has only had 1 outing so far.

But so far, the Sox overall look pretty good.

Position players: The offense looks pretty impressive. The only glaring excpetions are Pods, BA, and Mackowiak. I have no worries about defense (except Pods has looked shaky out there).

Starting pitching: 4 of the 5 starters looked really impressive in their last start. Garcia rebounded nicely from his bad first start. Obviously, the one negative so far is Garland.

Relief pitching: I think the bullpen looks alot better than many were expecting coming out of spring training. Remember back about a month ago when Jenks showed up overweight, McCarthy was struggling in his new role, and there was talk about the bullpen being in "shambles". After the first 9 games, Jenks looks good, McCarthy looks excellent, even Thornton looks good. I haven't seen the other 3 pitch enough to comment, but even if Politte is shaky, he isn't suffering a total meltdown. I actually thought he looked pretty good in KC and that one of the league's best hitters (Sweeney) just beat him on a good pitch.

Outlook: I think especially if Garland settles down, the Sox season looks very promising. With Garland, that would give us 5 solid starting pitchers to go with a good offense, good defense, and a decent bullpen. Potential recipie for racking up alot of wins.

batmanZoSo
04-14-2006, 10:57 AM
The first week was a fluke. This is a hell of a good team that's going to win a lot of ball games.

I like to go buy 10-game stretches. That's two runs through the rotation and enough ABs for the hitters to give you a decent sample. If we win tonight, and we should with Vazquez, our first "L-10" is 6-4. That's the goal right there, .600 baseball. And that would be pretty good considering the ceremonial distractions, a few pretty bad pitching meltdowns and a leadoff hitter, normally critical to our success, that's been totally nonexistent.