PDA

View Full Version : WS Trophy at My Work

davenicholson
04-13-2006, 01:37 PM
Not sure where to put this one, but the World Series Trophy made a stop here at work today. Very cool to get close to it and be photographed with it, lines were long with workers and guests. I noticed one man with a "guest" badge with his two young kids sporting chicago(NL) caps. Now, of course, they can wear whatever they want to, but to make a special trip to a friend's place of employment to see a trophy that the team from the other side of town won (and to wear the caps) strikes me as a bit odd. If the situation was reversed and it was a trophy belonging to the other team, I wouldn't have taken the trouble to walk down the five flights of stairs to see it, let alone pack up the family and drive somewhere. But that is how the Sox are ignored by fans of that other team, I guess. :redneck

Theanticub
04-13-2006, 02:47 PM
Guessing from your post..you work at the CBOT? CBOE? Merch?

skottyj242
04-13-2006, 02:55 PM
Guessing from your post..you work at the CBOT? CBOE? Merch?

If it was at the CBOE I didn't know about it :D: .

davenicholson
04-13-2006, 03:37 PM
If it was at the CBOE I didn't know about it :D: .
No, I'm at Lucent Technologies in Lisle. After today, I guess I'll have to be nice to the sales droids-account team types. Or not.:wink:

rdwj
04-13-2006, 03:45 PM
Hey! I'm a Lucent guy too!

I'm working from home today so I didn't get to see the Trophy (today anyway). Was it advertised somewhere? If so, I missed it.

I got about 10 IM's telling me about it today.

davenicholson
04-13-2006, 06:42 PM
Hey! I'm a Lucent guy too!

I'm working from home today so I didn't get to see the Trophy (today anyway). Was it advertised somewhere? If so, I missed it.

I got about 10 IM's telling me about it today.
It was in one of the "Lucent Today" emails that I seldom read. Luckily, this announcement happened to catch my eye. By the way, Parlez-Vous Franšais? :redneck What building are you in?

rdwj
04-13-2006, 07:39 PM
I'm in NWN, how about you? Just when I was starting to feel safe - BAM - 8000 jobs! Never a dull moment I guess!

Funny - I used to produce a couple newsletters, but I never read any other ones except for when I need to fill some diversity hours at the last minute or it's Christmas time - LOL

Oh well, my boss seems to think the "merger of equals" means good things.

I took at semester of High School French - too bad I didn't do well :(:

SoxEd
04-13-2006, 08:04 PM
If the situation was reversed and it was a trophy belonging to the other team, I wouldn't have taken the trouble to walk down the five flights of stairs to see it...

What?
They had it on display in some kind of five-floors-below-ground sub-basement?

You sure you don't work for the City Planning Department, in the 'Future Engineering Plans Publicity Dept?'
:wink:

I'm just jealous...

Daver
04-13-2006, 09:04 PM
What?
They had it on display in some kind of five-floors-below-ground sub-basement?

You sure you don't work for the City Planning Department, in the 'Future Engineering Plans Publicity Dept?'

If he did the trophy would have been locked in a disused lavatory gaurded by a leopard.

davenicholson
04-13-2006, 10:32 PM
I'm in NWN, how about you? Just when I was starting to feel safe - BAM - 8000 jobs! Never a dull moment I guess!

Funny - I used to produce a couple newsletters, but I never read any other ones except for when I need to fill some diversity hours at the last minute or it's Christmas time - LOL

Oh well, my boss seems to think the "merger of equals" means good things.

I took at semester of High School French - too bad I didn't do well :(:
I'm also at NWN, 5th floor of building 9. Since I had the camera with me for the trophy anyway, I got a couple of nice shots of sunrise over the Chicago skyline this morning. :cool:

Luckily for me (for now), Alcatel doesn't do what I do, which is designing and configuring EVDO systems. So I feel fairly confident about hanging around for at least another year! I figure if I brush up on what I learned in my drei jahren of German, I just might get the board of directors to surrender to my demands. :redneck

rdwj
04-13-2006, 11:33 PM
No way!!!!

I'm in building 9 on the 5th floor too!!! How wierd is that?

Alcatel doesn't really seem to be in my business either, so it seems like life is good - but you never know. When you rise to the top - make sure to spare us Sox fans and give us token positions of authority - LOL

DumpJerry
04-14-2006, 11:19 AM
Now, of course, they can wear whatever they want to, but to make a special trip to a friend's place of employment to see a trophy that the team from the other side of town won (and to wear the caps) strikes me as a bit odd.
Why? We're talking Cub fans, right? What is the boundary of "odd?"

He probably told the kids "your hats are as close as the Cubs will get to this darn trophy."

SBSoxFan
04-14-2006, 11:39 AM
No way!!!!

I'm in building 9 on the 5th floor too!!! How wierd is that?

Would you 2 like to be alone? :tongue:

FanofBill
04-14-2006, 01:22 PM
The Trophy is coming to my plce of work next Friday 4/21. I am going to take half a day off and bring the wife & the kids to see it. :bandance:

davenicholson
04-14-2006, 01:46 PM
Why? We're talking Cub fans, right? What is the boundary of "odd?"

He probably told the kids "your hats are as close as the Cubs will get to this darn trophy."
Two very good points, Jerry. I just feel sorry for his kids.

tick53
04-15-2006, 11:05 AM
:redneck Ah woush ah had a job like dat.