PDA

View Full Version : Who Starts the Taunting?

ws05champs
04-13-2006, 01:01 PM
When I see someone who is wearing Cub's gear, a profound feeling of pity comes over me. I sense their suffering and initially do nothing to make them feel worse than what they must already feel deep down inside. Must be my Buddha nature.

Yet so often when a Cub's fan sees me in Sox gear they feel compelled to shout some absurd comment in an pathetic attempt to provoke me, (which is of course returned with an all too easy devastating comment from me).

Is it just me or does anyone else get the feeling that Cub fans are far likely to take the first shot than Sox fans are?

soxfan13
04-13-2006, 02:01 PM
Already experienced it with a guy I work with who is a die hard Cub fan. We always got along pretty good during the baseball season, even last sason and the White Sox winning the World Series. Since the season has started he has thrown unprovoked lines at me like "remember last year when there were only 10,000 people in attendance for the second game of the season and now they are sold out , where did all the Sox fans come from?" hes had a few others since then but he knows Ill always have that World Series trophy to hold over his head and I dont have to stoop to his level.:D:

kittle42
04-13-2006, 02:57 PM
When I see someone who is wearing Cub's gear, a profound feeling of pity comes over me. I sense their suffering and initially do nothing to make them feel worse than what they must already feel deep down inside. Must be my Buddha nature.

Yet so often when a Cub's fan sees me in Sox gear they feel compelled to shout some absurd comment in an pathetic attempt to provoke me, (which is of course returned with an all too easy devastating comment from me).

Is it just me or does anyone else get the feeling that Cub fans are far likely to take the first shot than Sox fans are?

Which Cub? Lee? Zambrano?

Thome's Homey
04-13-2006, 03:07 PM

Zambrano's gonna be pissed when he finds out that someone stole his clothes.

ws05champs
04-13-2006, 04:04 PM
Only Cub fans misuse apostrophes.

I've been trying to figure out what your signiture means and now that I have experienced it, I finally understand. I consider myself fairly good with grammar yet I got this one wrong. Must be my mad cow disease acting up. Nevertheless, I will no longer misuse an apostrophe associated with the word "cubs" and be mistaken for a Cub fan.

DumpJerry
04-13-2006, 04:19 PM
I've been trying to figure out what your signiture means and now that I have experienced it, I finally understand. I consider myself fairly good with grammar yet I got this one wrong. Must be my mad cow disease acting up. Nevertheless, I will no longer misuse an apostrophe associated with the word "cubs" and be mistaken for a Cub fan.
You can edit your own posts.

comet2k
04-13-2006, 04:37 PM
Last night, a bunch of "over-served" Cub fans got on an evening train at the Irving Park Metra station. Two were soon booted off by a conductor (one for commandeering the PA system). Several Cub fans settled in one car, and some of the regular passengers got up and stood by the doors to get away from the loud, foul language.

When a woman complained to me about how drunk and disorderly they were I said, "The sad thing is that when they wake up tomorrow morning they'll be sober -- but they'll still be Cub fans."

South Side
04-13-2006, 04:43 PM
Last night, a bunch of "over-served" Cub fans got on an evening train at the Irving Park Metra station. Two were soon booted off by a conductor (one for commandeering the PA system). Several Cub fans settled in one car, and some of the regular passengers got up and stood by the doors to get away from the loud, foul language.

When a woman complained to me about how drunk and disorderly they were I said, "The sad thing is that when they wake up tomorrow morning they'll be sober -- but they'll still be Cub fans."

Brilliant! :D:

veeter
04-13-2006, 04:48 PM
No doubt they always fire first. However, after the WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP, I've actually had a few look at me and put their pathtic heads down in shame.

Dan Mega
04-13-2006, 05:15 PM
I disagree. Both teams have their morons. I've seen plenty of sox fans rub the championship in the face of Cubs fans, when the Cubs fan didn't do anything.

MarySwiss
04-13-2006, 06:20 PM

[Temporary thread hijack]Kittle, I agree with you completely about the apostrophe thing. In fact, I once wrote a newsletter article entitled "Apostrophe Atrocity" on this very subject.

However, I really think that most people have blind spots about something. For example, my brother--who is a teacher--has a hell of a time with apostrophe usage. I'm a professional writer, but I confess that whenever I have to deal with "who vs whom," I recast the sentence. I have had the rule explained to me a thousand times in a thousand different ways, but I JUST CAN'T GET IT THROUGH MY THICK SKULL!

That said, I just had to share with you an example of probably the most horrendous apostrophe misuse I have ever seen. It was promoting a contest back in Chicago in the years following Super Bowl XX. Don't remember details, but the sign advertising it read, "Party with the Ditka's." My immediate reaction--which is no doubt yours--was "Party with the Ditka's WHAT?" :smile:

[We now return you to the originally scheduled thread]

Risk
04-13-2006, 06:39 PM
I disagree. Both teams have their morons. I've seen plenty of sox fans rub the championship in the face of Cubs fans, when the Cubs fan didn't do anything.

I would agree that every fan base have boneheads that will begin unprovoked taunting of the other side. I have noticed though here in the NW burbs that anytime I wear one of my Sox jerseys out, there is usually some idiot (usually middle aged and always over served) who will try to say something stupid along the lines of "Sox suck" or "they got lucky" or "Wrigley is awesome" or "I hate Hawk, he's such a homer and Harry was better," or my personal favorite "Cub fans are the best and most loyal" to try to be argumentative.

My usual response is: 1) The White Sox went 11-1 in the playoffs, which is one of the best playoff records of all time, and won the World Series, so they don't suck; 2) for the season, the Sox won a total of 110 games (regular season and playoffs--most Cub fans seem to have the tacit inability to count), certainly a team can't be lucky all 110 times; 3) Wrigley is a cramped, dilapidated old stadium with poor sight lines, obstructed views, poor amenities, and a foul, stale smell similar to urine; 4) The White Sox fire insubordinate drunks, the Cubs build bronze statutes of them; and 5) about fan loyalty, "name your teams starting line-up (99% of them can't), b/c certainly since you are a loyal fan, you could name your favorite teams starting line-up."

Usually when everything is said and done the Cub fan shuts his/her mouth and walks away.

I won't even get into the real idiots who think that just b/c I'm a Sox fan I must be undereducated and underemployed, b/c they are the dumbest of the dumb.

Risk

comet2k
04-13-2006, 11:25 PM
"4) The White Sox fire insubordinate drunks, the Cubs build bronze statutes of them;"
:D: :D:

Yeah, but even though he spent time with the Sox, Cub fans claim his as THEIR insubordinate drunk!

PKalltheway
04-14-2006, 12:02 AM
I would agree that every fan base have boneheads that will begin unprovoked taunting of the other side. I have noticed though here in the NW burbs that anytime I wear one of my Sox jerseys out, there is usually some idiot (usually middle aged and always over served) who will try to say something stupid along the lines of "Sox suck" or "they got lucky" or "Wrigley is awesome" or "I hate Hawk, he's such a homer and Harry was better," or my personal favorite "Cub fans are the best and most loyal" to try to be argumentative.

My usual response is: 1) The White Sox went 11-1 in the playoffs, which is one of the best playoff records of all time, and won the World Series, so they don't suck; 2) for the season, the Sox won a total of 110 games (regular season and playoffs--most Cub fans seem to have the tacit inability to count), certainly a team can't be lucky all 110 times; 3) Wrigley is a cramped, dilapidated old stadium with poor sight lines, obstructed views, poor amenities, and a foul, stale smell similar to urine; 4) The White Sox fire insubordinate drunks, the Cubs build bronze statutes of them; and 5) about fan loyalty, "name your teams starting line-up (99% of them can't), b/c certainly since you are a loyal fan, you could name your favorite teams starting line-up."

Usually when everything is said and done the Cub fan shuts his/her mouth and walks away.

I won't even get into the real idiots who think that just b/c I'm a Sox fan I must be undereducated and underemployed, b/c they are the dumbest of the dumb.

Risk
Oooh that's good!:cool:
I remember a couple of years back I went to see a Cubs/Brewers game in Milwaukee and the Brewers won the game 1-0. Well after the game (I had a Brewers shirt on, one of those you get from the credit card stand) and these random, knucklehead Cub fans had the nerve to come up to me and say "The Brewers? You guys suck!" They even said it in the tone of voice that wasn't in good nature either. They said it like they meant it. I shouted back to them as they walked away (yes I shouted) "Then how come we beat you 1-0 if we suck huh? You guys must be a lot worse than we are." They continued walking on like they didn't hear me, like they were in denial after what I said. Morons.:rolleyes: