PDA

View Full Version : Daniel Cabrera

Jjav829
04-12-2006, 09:02 PM
Holy crap, this guy is going to drive Leo Mazzone insane. He apparently has not bought into the Mazzone philosophy yet. In Cabrera's first outing this year he was awful. He walked 6 batters in an inning and 7 in his 1.1 innings. Today he has 9 walks through 5 innings, yet he's only allowed one run and he has 10 K's. He's probably going to be out of the game after finishing off the 5th because his pitch count is through the roof. This guy needs to listen to Mazzone. The stuff is there. He has a great fastball and good movement on his offspeed pitches, but he just can't locate the plate. If Cabrera studied Bartolo Colon and started sacrificing a little power to locate that low and away strike, he could be one of the best pitchers in the game. I say Colon because I think Colon is the best pitcher for Cabrera to pattern himself after. Colon does a great job of keeping his speed down early and locating, throwing in the lows 90s, then kicking it up as the game goes on and bringing the mid and even high 90s fastballs. That's what Cabrera needs to become.

BTW, it's great contrasting the two starters I watched the most of the games currently going on; Pedro and Cabrera. Pedro was topping out around 85 for most of the game but locating very well and getting good movement on his offspeed stuff. Then he got into a bases loaded, 0 out jam in the 6th and started bringing the heat, throwing all fastballs in the low 90s, and got a K followed by a double play. Just a great contrast between the savy veteran who doesn't through as hard as he used to but truly pitches and the hard-throwing youngster with great stuff who tries to blow everyone away.

beckett21
04-12-2006, 11:51 PM
10 K, 9 BB--:o:

Excerpt from Don Cooper's notebook: Daniel Cabrera--I can fix him. :cool:

Kid's got some serious stuff. He will be a star one of these days.

MUsoxfan
04-12-2006, 11:52 PM
10 K, 9 BB--:o:

Excerpt from Don Cooper's notebook: Daniel Cabrera--I can fix him. :cool:

Kid's got some serious stuff. He will be a star one of these days.

Or the next Rick Ankiel

NonetheLoaiza
04-12-2006, 11:55 PM
Or the next Rick Ankiel

Ah, Rocket Rick. Is he still roaming the Cardinals minor league outfield?

MUsoxfan
04-12-2006, 11:57 PM

Don't think so. I did a search for him on minorleaguebaseball.com and came up empty

beckett21
04-12-2006, 11:59 PM
Or the next Rick Ankiel

Pity what happened to him. :(:

Just goes to show that there is no such thing as a 'can't miss' prospect.

buehrle4cy05
04-13-2006, 12:18 AM
Very few pitchers don't buy into Mazzone's philosophy. IIRC, Jason Marquis was one, and now it looks like Cabrera is the next. If Mazzone can turn Russ Ortiz into a 20-game winner and Jorge Sosa into a 10+ game-winner, I'm sure he could turn Cabrera into a great starter.

Flight #24
04-13-2006, 12:23 AM
Very few pitchers don't buy into Mazzone's philosophy. IIRC, Jason Marquis was one, and now it looks like Cabrera is the next. If Mazzone can turn Russ Ortiz into a 20-game winner and Jorge Sosa into a 10+ game-winner, I'm sure he could turn Cabrera into a great starter.
Mazzone's good, but he's no Coop! I have a feeling KW's watching the O's and trying not to drool on his tie every time he sees one of these type of outings.......

SouthSide_HitMen
04-13-2006, 01:05 AM
This guy needs to listen to Mazzone. The stuff is there. He has a great fastball and good movement on his offspeed pitches, but he just can't locate the plate.

http://joyofsox.blogspot.com/scarecrow.jpg

If I only had a brain aka

http://www.sportshollywood.com/images/minors/robbins1.jpg

Meat!

I like Bedard as a breakout candidate. Cabrera has never had control of the strike zone and I don't know if the great Leo Mazzone can fix him.

I saw the box score and cracked up.

At least things will be interesting this year in Baltimore and unlike 2005, for baseball issues.

Jjav829
04-13-2006, 08:41 AM

Ankiel is on the DL for the Cardinals. He had a knee injury that dragged out for a while. He is also out of options so he would have to clear waivers.

Here's hoping that Ankiel can finally make it back to the bigs. :gulp:I still think he gave up on pitching too soon.

RoobarbPie
04-13-2006, 09:03 AM
http://www.sportshollywood.com/images/minors/robbins1.jpg

Meat!

This is exactly who I thought of when I was watching Cabreras box score on Gamecast last night.

Cabrera = Nuke

DaleJRFan
04-13-2006, 12:08 PM
Don't think so. I did a search for him on minorleaguebaseball.com and came up empty

Ankiel is on the Card's 40 man roster (listed as RF), but on the 15 day DL.