PDA

View Full Version : White Sox games on Comcast in HDTV

kruzer31
04-12-2006, 05:13 PM
I have a 55 inch HDTV and I noticed when the Sox are on the road comcast in HD doesnt have the picture stretching the whole length of the screen. There are two black bars on the side of the screen. When they play at home, i get the full screen in HD. Same thing usually goes for the Bulls, when they are at home, the picture takes up the whole screen but on the road the picture is shrunk and the two black bars are on each side of the screen. Anyone know why this is??? Thanks for your help.

Jeff

HotelWhiteSox
04-12-2006, 05:17 PM
Comcast (and WGN) only does the home games in HD.

Things are moving forward though, in the past and some teams now only had select games in HD, now some teams have both road and away games in HD (Boston).

LuvSox
04-12-2006, 05:18 PM
Are you sure the road games are HD?

kruzer31
04-12-2006, 05:21 PM
I see, well, the picture seems to be clearer on the road on HDTV, but the black bars are there. Thanks for letting me know.

Jeff

Edward
04-12-2006, 05:25 PM
HDTV is broadcased in a 16:9 widescreen ratio. Regular TV is broadcasted at a 4:3 ratio. So because the telecast is not in HD, it shows up on your screen as the regular TV (4:3) ratio instead of stretching a 4:3 picture into a 16:9 picture and thus distorting the quality. Your TV might automatically stretch the image if you tune into any other non-hd channel that is being broadcasted at 4:3.

Evman5
04-12-2006, 07:04 PM
I see, well, the picture seems to be clearer on the road on HDTV, but the black bars are there. Thanks for letting me know.

Jeff

If the Black Bars are there, the game is not being broadcasted in HD.
As other posters said only the home games are broadcasted in HD.

ode to veeck
04-13-2006, 12:09 PM
You sometimes will also see the black bars in an HD broadcast when a non HD camera view is used. This happened a lot in NFL broadcasts in recent years because of the # of cameras used at an NFL game. In this case it may switch back and forth depending on which camera view is used. As the nets stock up on the way expensive HD pro cameras (~100k ea.) this will slowly go away hopefully. You also see the same thing a lot on ESPN-HD where they're showing replays from non-HD broadcast games on their HD channel.

HotelWhiteSox
04-13-2006, 02:27 PM
You sometimes will also see the black bars in an HD broadcast when a non HD camera view is used. This happened a lot in NFL broadcasts in recent years because of the # of cameras used at an NFL game. In this case it may switch back and forth depending on which camera view is used. As the nets stock up on the way expensive HD pro cameras (~100k ea.) this will slowly go away hopefully. You also see the same thing a lot on ESPN-HD where they're showing replays from non-HD broadcast games on their HD channel.

Also there is some widescreen (no black bars) that is not HD. You'll see it with FOX's Saturday baseball games (unless they changed their mind about regular season games). You can usually tell the difference