PDA

View Full Version : Will the Marlins break the record?

SouthSide_HitMen
04-12-2006, 03:59 PM
Poll - How many wins will the Marlins finish with?

You have until Easter Sunday to answer this one.

Banix12
04-12-2006, 04:05 PM
I actually kind of like some of the talent they have, especailly at the top of the batting order. They aren't going anywhere this year but I think they are better than a few of the bad teams in recent years like the Detroit Tigers of a few years ago. Factor in the weak field in the NL this year I can see them doing ok. I don't think they are going to break the loss record and I could see them losing less than 100 games.

Hangar18
04-12-2006, 04:07 PM
What the Marlins have done ..............Again............is Despicable.
All theyve done is gone on the cheap, and affected other pennant races with their give-aways (Lee & Pierre for instance here in chicago, Beckett in Boston)

Fenway
04-12-2006, 04:11 PM
The answer to this question depends a great deal on what happens to Dontrelle Willis. The Marlins have already floated a deal with Boston (Lester and Papelbon) and Theo laughed at them ( I hope )

The only way the Yankees can get him is cash and I don't thing Selig will allow it.

SouthSide_HitMen
04-12-2006, 04:14 PM
I just want to get a general feel for what people think after a little over a week into the season.

The first under / over link I found had the team at 66 1/2 (with the Royals the only team with less at 63 1/2).

http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=109&STORY=/www/story/02-22-2006/0004287201&EDATE=

My personal opinion before the season was they would win just under 60 but listening to a couple games and seeing how weak some of these players are (their starting OF are hitting .091 (Reed CF), Aguila (.222) and Abercrombie (.118)). I have a feeling all three will be in the low .200s upper .100s. Willingham will play LF due to the lack of OFers on the team. This is the best talent they have and when players start getting hurt I think it will get very ugly.

I think they will finish between 48 - 53 after giving it greater thought than I did in the preseason. Winning 1 of 3 (on average) will be a moral victory for this squad.

Baby Fisk
04-12-2006, 04:14 PM
Loria should be driven out of town by a stone throwing mob.

Willis can't win 40 games by himself. Move over Mets!

Fenway
04-12-2006, 04:18 PM

all the way to San Antonio. Loria himself isn't that bad but I met his slimebucket son in law David Sampson in Montreal, he is the guy driving this move and was the main reason the Expos died in Quebec.

SouthSide_HitMen
04-12-2006, 04:19 PM
The answer to this question depends a great deal on what happens to Dontrelle Willis.

I think he will be their Designated Hitter in AL Parks. No teal (he is the 5th best hitter behind Cabrera, Jacobs, Ramirez and Willingham).

The one thing they have going for them is their ballpark which will keep games relatively low scoring and the team will have a chance to scrap out a few wins though their bullpen is so bad, they will blow a lot more games than they are able to hang onto.

Losing Willis will result in another 1 win (or 1 1/2 wins) per month remaining in the season.

kittle42
04-12-2006, 04:21 PM
No one can defeat the mighty Uggla!

Baby Fisk
04-12-2006, 04:22 PM
all the way to San Antonio. Loria himself isn't that bad but I met his slimebucket son in law David Sampson in Montreal, he is the guy driving this move and was the main reason the Expos died in Quebec.

How did San Antonio become the hot favourite all of a sudden? It keeps getting mentioned.

SouthSide_HitMen
04-12-2006, 04:22 PM

The two Mets fans here are the only posters so far predicting 49 or less. I think they have a small chance to get into the 30s.

Bud Selig may have a stroke during the season seeing how this will effect his plan to increase revenue sharing (though since he no longer owns the Brewers it will not hurt him personally, only FOBS).

This (will they break the record) will be the only thing of interest this season regarding this squad. I hope you are right Baby Fisk.

No one can defeat the mighty Uggla!

This is true because he is not in the rotation.

ewokpelts
04-12-2006, 04:31 PM
What the Marlins have done ..............Again............is Despicable.
All theyve done is gone on the cheap, and affected other pennant races with their give-aways (Lee & Pierre for instance here in chicago, Beckett in Boston)
The Lee deal wasnt a salary dump. Choi was still thoght highly of in the NL, and the marlins wanted a 1b who they'd control long term. Obviously, it didnt pan out.
At the time, it was a good move for both teams.

Gene

Randar68
04-12-2006, 04:32 PM

I don't get this thinking. They are doing exactly what they did in order to rebuild the team after the first W-S team.

Miami will not support that team, so in order to build any kind of winning team, they have to tear it down and build from within. They have a critical mass of young talent and built on it by trading all their big-name players (except Cabrera and Willis)...

They'll get better as the season goes on and in 2 years or so, I wouldn't be surprised to see them challenge for the division, although by then they could be in Las Vegas. Lots of young pitching in that organization again.

Fenway
04-12-2006, 04:34 PM
How did San Antonio become the hot favourite all of a sudden? It keeps getting mentioned.

I guess they waving public money at the Marlins.....they are so desperate to keep up with Dallas and Houston that logic goes out the window.

Baby Fisk
04-12-2006, 04:46 PM
I don't get this thinking. They are doing exactly what they did in order to rebuild the team after the first W-S team.

Miami will not support that team, so in order to build any kind of winning team, they have to tear it down and build from within. They have a critical mass of young talent and built on it by trading all their big-name players (except Cabrera and Willis)...

They'll get better as the season goes on and in 2 years or so, I wouldn't be surprised to see them challenge for the division, although by then they could be in Las Vegas. Lots of young pitching in that organization again.
I have residual dislike for Loria, going back to when he wrecked baseball in Montreal. Now it's happening in Miami. Other than some diehard fans, no one seems to want to support baseball there. But that's no reason for these kinds of firesales. It's like throwing a tantrum because the govt won't pay for a new stadium.

Hangar18
04-12-2006, 04:51 PM
The answer to this question depends a great deal on what happens to Dontrelle Willis. The Marlins have already floated a deal with Boston (Lester and Papelbon) and Theo laughed at them ( I hope )

The only way the Yankees can get him is cash and I don't thing Selig will allow it.

Dont put anything past Selig. Where was that post, where I said the Cubs will get involved again in getting Willis back ............

FloridaSox
04-12-2006, 04:52 PM
Having watch the home owner, the Marlins are pathetic..and it is too bad. They have been a fun to watch team for several years (thought the 2003 World Series win) was a bit of a fluke.

Hangar18
04-12-2006, 04:57 PM
The Florida Marlins are an abomination to major league baseball. They freely give away players like its christmas time in the tropics. They are negatively affecting pennant races. its time.
FOLD THE MARLINS

chisoxmike
04-12-2006, 05:06 PM
The Lee deal wasnt a salary dump. Choi was still thoght highly of in the NL, and the marlins wanted a 1b who they'd control long term. Obviously, it didnt pan out.
At the time, it was a good move for both teams.

Gene

It was a ****ing joke.

miker
04-12-2006, 05:07 PM
Having watch the home owner, the Marlins are pathetic..and it is too bad. They have been a fun to watch team for several years (thought the 2003 World Series win) was a bit of a fluke.
I don't know...they looked good coming back in the 2003 NLCS!:D:

SouthSide_HitMen
04-12-2006, 05:16 PM

That is a fallacy. It took a new owner willing to spend money (at both the major league and minor league levels) to rebuild the team and that was what John Henry did until Bud and Loria joined him in a three way (with Montreal the only one getting screwed). They received two eventual MLB players (Derek Lee and AJ Burnett) during the post World Series firesale who played for the 2003 team. Your comment is as accurate as saying (the 1977 - 1978 offseason firesale by the White Sox led to the 1983 playoff team). It took another owner (Reinsdorf) who was properly capitalized and able to spend money along with a few ballplayers obtained in 1978.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/FLA/1998_trans.shtml

Here are the players they obtained during the 1997 offseason / 1998 season.

Manuel Barrios, Oscar Hernandez, Mark J. Johnson (for Alou)
Jon Fontenot, Mike Pagelar and Mike Villano (for Robb Nen)
Jesus Martinez (for Devon White)
Blaine Mull (for Jeff Conine)
Derek Lee, Rafael Medina and Steve Hoff (for Kevin Brown)
Fletcher Bates and Scott Comer (for Dennis Cook)
Erik Ludwick (for Kurt Abbott)
AJ Burnett, Jesus Sanchez and Robert Stratton (for Al Leiter & Ralph Milliard)

During the 1998 season they dumped Sheffield, Charles Johnson and Bobby Bonilla for Piazza and Zeile. They flipped Piazza the following week for a third and final player who reached the majors Preston Wilson (as well as Ed Yarnell and Geoff Goetz). Zeile was flipped a few months later for DeYoung and Santos (two more players who never reached the majors - if they could have hung on until 2006 they would have made it). Wilson was flipped for two actual players in the 2002 - 2003 offseason (Pierre and Hampton).

Almost all of these players never even reached the majors, let alone did anything in the majors. It took John Henry a lot of money and work rebuilding the team via trades, the draft and free agency vs. the firesale that MLB.com will try to sell as an excuse for this debacle.

A prospect is a gambling ticket. One or two can pay off well, a few may get your money back but most are tossed to the floor like race track mutual tickets. Expect 2 or 3 actual players five years from now as the result of this debacle. If the Marlins still exist, it will take real ownership willing to compete to ever rebuild this team - the type that John Henry provided.

thepaulbowski
04-12-2006, 05:22 PM
Loria is a business man, what the hell is suppose to do? Keep losing money because even after winning the World Series, people don't show up to the games. The stadium sucks to watch baseball in, and there are no plans to build a new one. These teams are run as businesses, they don't just exist for our enjoyment.

thepaulbowski
04-12-2006, 05:25 PM
The Florida Marlins are an abomination to major league baseball. They freely give away players like its christmas time in the tropics. They are negatively affecting pennant races. its time.
FOLD THE MARLINS

Why do you care so much about the NL? Is is the Flubsession you have? The Devil Rays have never been good, why don't you bitch about them?

kittle42
04-12-2006, 05:34 PM
Why do you care so much about the NL? Is is the Flubsession you have? The Devil Rays have never been good, why don't you bitch about them?

Gotta agree here, Hangar. If the Marlins had given Derrek Lee away to the Mets or Dodgers, I'd guess you probably wouldn't care.

Hangar18
04-12-2006, 05:37 PM

I'll take the Devil Ray Players ANYTIME over the current Marlin Players.

Hangar18
04-12-2006, 05:38 PM
Gotta agree here, Hangar. If the Marlins had given Derrek Lee away to the Mets or Dodgers, I'd guess you probably wouldn't care.

If the Marlins had gotten Felix Pie and Cedeno for Derrek Lee, it wouldve been a great move. They wanted to dump him for anything, and the cubs were right there, hat in hand. Otherwise, they still have Choi playing there, hahahahahahaahahah.

Hangar18
04-12-2006, 05:49 PM
Loria is a business man, what the hell is suppose to do? Keep losing money ..........................

Well, he ran the Expos into the ground, then left the hood up, took the plates off of the Expo vehicle and Cried Poor, that he couldnt afford them any longer. The Marlins were for sale..........and magically, Loria wants to buy them, but doesnt have the money (someone else did apparently) So what does Selig and the MLB do? They not only GIVE Loria the Marlins, but they loan him the money to do so. He now proceeds to run this team into the ground and again is ready put the hood up and take the plates off of the Marlin vehicle. Its unreal this guy is still around.

Ol' No. 2
04-12-2006, 05:59 PM
Well, he ran the Expos into the ground, then left the hood up, took the plates off of the Expo vehicle and Cried Poor, that he couldnt afford them any longer. The Marlins were for sale..........and magically, Loria wants to buy them, but doesnt have the money (someone else did apparently) So what does Selig and the MLB do? They not only GIVE Loria the Marlins, but they loan him the money to do so. He now proceeds to run this team into the ground and again is ready put the hood up and take the plates off of the Marlin vehicle. Its unreal this guy is still around.Shortly after purchasing the team, Loria had this to say:

"I will do everything in my power to ensure that baseball regains the popularity it once enjoyed in this city," Loria wrote. "I am confident that it will."

That was in 2000, shortly after purchasing the EXPOS.

In 2002, after purchasing the Marlins, he had this to say:

"Fans of this team have been left behind twice," he said. "I know that raises questions in all of your minds. Let me put an end to those questions. ... We're here to stay."

1951Campbell
04-12-2006, 06:14 PM
At least 50 wins. C'mon, they play in the NL.

thepaulbowski
04-12-2006, 06:21 PM
Shortly after purchasing the team, Loria had this to say:

"I will do everything in my power to ensure that baseball regains the popularity it once enjoyed in this city," Loria wrote. "I am confident that it will."

That was in 2000, shortly after purchasing the EXPOS.

In 2002, after purchasing the Marlins, he had this to say:

"Fans of this team have been left behind twice," he said. "I know that raises questions in all of your minds. Let me put an end to those questions. ... We're here to stay."

The Marlins were also promised a new stadium, what happened to that?

SouthSide_HitMen
04-12-2006, 06:42 PM
The Marlins were also promised a new stadium, what happened to that?

It is easy to promise anything in the world - with other people's money.

Randar68
04-12-2006, 07:03 PM
That is a fallacy. It took a new owner willing to spend money (at both the major league and minor league levels) to rebuild the team and that was what John Henry did until Bud and Loria joined him in a three way (with Montreal the only one getting screwed). They received two eventual MLB players (Derek Lee and AJ Burnett) during the post World Series firesale who played for the 2003 team. Your comment is as accurate as saying (the 1977 - 1978 offseason firesale by the White Sox led to the 1983 playoff team). It took another owner (Reinsdorf) who was properly capitalized and able to spend money along with a few ballplayers obtained in 1978.

They bought the first chamionship but won their second just 6 years after dismantling the major league team.

Oh, and where did they draft in the years following that firesale? Who did they pick? They had some great drafts and built from within. In this last world series, they traded for and/or developed (via foreign signings and drafts) the following key players:

Lee and Burnett were keys to that team's success, but add in these as well:
Willis (from Flubs in Alfonseca deal)
Beckett (drafted #2 overall in 1999)
Cabrera (signed out of Venezuela in 1999)
Lowell (Acquired in 1999 from NYY as an MLB-ready prospect)
Looper (#3 overall pick acquired in 1999 from Cardinals as MLB-ready prospect)
Brad Penny (Acquired from Arizona after 1999 season as unproven prospect)
Luis Castillo (was already a near MLB-ready prospect when they won their first WS)
Alex Gonzalez (Florida prospect at time of 1st WS win)

Prettymuch their entire roster of stars and major contributors was acquired int he 2 years following the WS vostory and developed by the Marlins internally as young unproven MLB-ready players or as conplete prospects. Only really Urbina, Encarnacion and Pierre were added as proven major leaguers after the young players had started to show what they were capable of.

The only fallacy here is the infatuation with hating all things Marlins. Despite our 2005 season, they had 2 championships in a 7-year period while we went 88 years between championships...

You may not approve of the way they did things, but it is about the only model that will ever work for a small market team to have a chance to win it all.

SouthSide_HitMen
04-12-2006, 07:48 PM
They bought the first chamionship but won their second just 6 years after dismantling the major league team.

Built by a new owner willing to spend money, not the owner responsible for the fire sale that netted 2 players and 20 worthless prospects.

Oh, and where did they draft in the years following that firesale? Who did they pick? They had some great drafts and built from within.

Well if the goal of a MLB team is to finish with the worst record in baseball for draft picks, Jeff Loria or Rachel Phelps are the women to do it.

In this last world series, they traded for and/or developed (via foreign signings and drafts) the following key players:

(Bold statements are my comments - SSHM)

Lee and Burnett were keys to that team's success, but add in these as well:
Willis (from Flubs in Alfonseca deal) (March 2002)
Beckett (drafted #2 overall in 1999) (June 1999)
Cabrera (signed out of Venezuela in 1999) (July 1999)
Lowell (Acquired in 1999 from NYY as an MLB-ready prospect) (February, 1999)
Looper (#3 overall pick acquired in 1999 from Cardinals as MLB-ready prospect) (December 1998)
Brad Penny (Acquired from Arizona after 1999 season as unproven prospect) (July, 1999)
Luis Castillo (was already a near MLB-ready prospect when they won their first WS) (One of two players not sold off from the 1997 due to being at the MLB minimum)
Alex Gonzalez (Florida prospect at time of 1st WS win) (See Castillo)

Prettymuch their entire roster of stars and major contributors was acquired int he 2 years following the WS vostory and developed by the Marlins internally as young unproven MLB-ready players or as conplete prospects. Only really Urbina, Encarnacion and Pierre were added as proven major leaguers after the young players had started to show what they were capable of.

Again - your reasoning is as "ludacris" (from a second Loria appologist) as saying Bill Veeck's dumping of Gamble, Fisk et al after 1977 was the reason the White Sox made the Playoffs in 1983. FOR THE SEVENTH TIME THE OWNER CONDUCTING THE FIRE SALE ADDED LITTLE TO THE SUBSEQUENT WINNER - THE OWNER WHO TOOK OVER AND PUT MONEY INTO THE MAJOR AND MINOR LEAGUE TEAM IS THE ONE RESPONSIBLE.

JOHN HENRY PUT THE MARLINS INTO POSITION FOR 2003 - NOT WAYNE "USED CAR" HUIZENGA. Thank you for making my point yet again.

The only fallacy here is the infatuation with hating all things Marlins. Despite our 2005 season, they had 2 championships in a 7-year period while we went 88 years between championships...

You may not approve of the way they did things, but it is about the only model that will ever work for a small market team to have a chance to win it all.

This is where you do not understand and can only attack the messanger when your argument is as faulty as yours. They is not an accurate term.

When you discuss the 1983 White Sox, it was Jerry Reinsdorf's team, not Bill Veeck's. True both teams were called the White Sox but the 1983 roster had NOTHING to do with the moves performed in 1978. The White Sox' 1978 is the same as 1998 or 2006 for Marlins fans - they had a tiny fraction to do with the winning squad mostly due to the fact a roster doesn't normally turn over all 25 players during a five or six year span. At least Veeck had an excuse - he was broke. He didn't get $50 million in welfare payments and revenue sharing from MLB. He didn't ask taxpayers to pay for his capital expenses. And he didn't drop his payroll to 1/3 of second lowest team in the majors.

Reinsdorf was the one who brought in most of the players. Yes a few players were drafted under Veeck's ownership, but without Jerry Reinsdorf's signings and trades there was no 1983. The rebuilding was performed by a owner willing to spend money. This is true in 1983 as well as 2003 (and it took the colossal ineptitude of the Cubs and the Wild Card rule to even reach the World Series in 2003).

Wayne dumped the team. It delayed the time John Henry could build up the team because he was left nothing resembling a MLB team and a couple of prospects. The 2006 team is in even worse shape - for today and beyond.

You confuse causation with results. The fire sale in 1998 did NOT result in 2003. John Henry's work building the team from scratch (from 1999 and beyond as you laid out) did.

The 2006 fire sale will also add 2 or 3 MLB players in five years. The fire sale destroyed the team just as it did in 1998 and the only way to reverse this is to get an owner dedicated to winning, not sitting around collecting welfare checks from the government and MLB teams who actually work for a living and demanding a new $500 million stadium to bail him out yet again (after Bud bailed him out from his Expos disaster and subsequent RICO lawsuit filed against him).

Killing him softly with his song. :cool:

PKalltheway
04-12-2006, 10:02 PM
Call me crazy, but I think this team can actually win as many as 68 games this year. This Marlins team (although they are BAD) doesn't strike me as the type of team that would lose over 100 games. Then again, they could pull a Kansas City and lose 19 games in a row. It's a long season, and it will be interesting to see how they'll end up.

Ol' No. 2
04-13-2006, 10:29 AM
Not only will they break the record, they will break it by a healthy margin. 35 or fewer wins is a distinct possibility. I hope they win 20, which might actually be enough to embarass MLB into taking action.

Hangar18
04-13-2006, 10:44 AM
It was fun while it lasted, but this franchise is a JOKE as is the MLB
or as I call them, the League of Extraordinarily Dumb Gentlemen.
Fold The Marlins

thepaulbowski
04-13-2006, 01:12 PM
It was fun while it lasted, but this franchise is a JOKE as is the MLB
or as I call them, the League of Extraordinarily Dumb Gentlemen.
Fold The Marlins

This whole thread has turned truely bizarre. Why all the pent up rage for a team you don't even like? :?:

This franchise (the Marlins) has won two titles in in the last ten years more than the White Sox, Royals, Indians, Tigers, Twins, Red Sox, Blue Jays, Devil Rays, Orioles, Angels, A's, Marines, Rangers, Giants, Rockies, Diamondbacks, Dodgers, Padres, Cubs, Astros, Reds, Brewers, Cardinals, Pirates, Mets, Braves, Phillies or Nationals/Expos. Your arguement seems pretty week to me.

SouthSide_HitMen
04-13-2006, 02:02 PM
The average to date among all who voted is somewhere in the 50 - 59 range - say 56 or 57 which is ten under the Opening Day Vegas line.

If the Marlins played in the AL I would expect a 30 or less win season. Looking at their schedule, I come up with this record:

NL Central 8-27 .229
NL West 8-22 .266
NL East 22-57 .278
Interleague 3-15 (TB 2 + 1 total vs. Tor, Bost, NYY and Balt) .167

Total 41-121 .253

If they can manage 2 or 3 wins vs. Arizona and Colorado, they may sneak a couple more from the West. The Central stinks so they may be able to sneak 2 or 3 more there as well. Philadelphia and New York should hammer this team. Atlanta is down but I think they only lose 3 or 4 to the team. Washington is the key to the Marlins season as far as exceeding 40 wins.

Go Nats!

Hangar18
04-13-2006, 02:11 PM
This franchise (the Marlins) has won two titles in in the last ten years ......

Your arguement seems pretty week to me.

Theyve also had Two Firesales in the last ten years ..........
theyve negatively affected other pennant races with their givingaway of players. Its just not good baseball karma to pull what theyre pulling.
Ole No.2, had 2 very good Loria quotes.

soxfanatlanta
04-13-2006, 08:05 PM

They don't throw stones in Miami.

http://parangaricutirimicuaro.blogspot.com/scarface.jpg

Say hello to my lil' friend!

FedEx227
04-14-2006, 12:58 AM
I don't think the Marlins will break the record because despite not having any MLB-ready talent outside of Willis and Cabrera, they have a lot of guys that play their asses off, hustle constantly and will squeek out some wins despite a laughable pitching staff.

And I do agree that what the Marlins have done has hurt baseball (in theory), but then again like people said they've won 2 titles in 10 years, which is a lot more then any team outside the Yankees can say.

PKalltheway
04-14-2006, 02:00 AM
I don't think the Marlins will break the record because despite not having any MLB-ready talent outside of Willis and Cabrera, they have a lot of guys that play their asses off, hustle constantly and will squeek out some wins despite a laughable pitching staff.

And I do agree that what the Marlins have done has hurt baseball (in theory), but then again like people said they've won 2 titles in 10 years, which is a lot more then any team outside the Yankees can say.
I couldn't agree with you more. Their two wins that they have had to date have been blowouts, one of which was against Andy Pettite (however that's spelled). Joe Girardi is going to keep his foot up their asses all year, no matter how bad things become.

SouthSide_HitMen
04-14-2006, 02:18 AM
I couldn't agree with you more. Their two wins that they have had to date have been blowouts, one of which was against Andy Pettite (however that's spelled). Joe Girardi is going to keep his foot up their asses all year, no matter how bad things become.

Today they were fortunate to have hosted a Padres squad with Dewon Brazelton on the mound who hasn't won a road game since he was on his high school traveling team. He was sent to the Padres for an equally disappointing Sean Burroughs. San Diego also used an "Ozzie Guillen" Sunday lineup figuring Brazelton would probably lose regardless.

LF Eric Young (Backup)
2B Josh Barfield
RF Brian Giles
C Doug Mirabelli (Backup hitting Cleanup - you've got to be kidding me)
SS K Greene
1B A Gonzalez
3B V Castilla
CF B Johnson (Backup)

This game was a gift. They beat an actual team / starter when they defeated Houston.

The National League should not be allowed to were the MLB logo.

IlliniSox4Life
04-14-2006, 03:57 AM
Shouldn't this thread be moved to Minor Observations?

thepaulbowski
04-14-2006, 08:36 AM
Today they were fortunate to have hosted a Padres squad with Dewon Brazelton on the mound who hasn't won a road game since he was on his high school traveling team. He was sent to the Padres for an equally disappointing Sean Burroughs. San Diego also used an "Ozzie Guillen" Sunday lineup figuring Brazelton would probably lose regardless.

LF Eric Young (Backup)
2B Josh Barfield
RF Brian Giles
C Doug Mirabelli (Backup hitting Cleanup - you've got to be kidding me)
SS K Greene
1B A Gonzalez
3B V Castilla
CF B Johnson (Backup)

This game was a gift. They beat an actual team / starter when they defeated Houston.

The National League should not be allowed to were the MLB logo.

So now you are making excuses for their wins? :rolleyes:

A win is a win, get over it.

VenturaSoxFan23
04-14-2006, 01:46 PM
I think they're only the 2nd worst team in the division. Washington has too many question marks.

The Marlins can avoid 100-losses. Washington, on the other hand, could break the record.

SouthSide_HitMen
04-14-2006, 02:35 PM
A win is a win, get over it.

No, the WBC showed how a vastly inferior team can win a single game. The Marlins will win a few games over the 162 game schedule (they are better than say 7 year olds taking the field). The question is how many will they manage. My post addressed the euphoria over the second Marlins win this season and if you match one of the worst starters in baseball and start several subs including the cleanup hitter you come close, but nowhere near at, the level of Marlindom.

I still contend they would win under 40 in the AL. In the NL, my guess is 41 (as was posted earlier).

NL Central 8-27 .229
NL West 8-22 .266
NL East 22-57 .278
Interleague 3-15 (TB 2 + 1 total vs. Tor, Bost, NYY and Balt) .167

Total 41-121 .253

Actual

NL Central 1-2 .333
NL East 0-2 .000
NL West 1-2 .333

Total 2-6 .250

http://sneaker.nl/files/20050912-carpenters.jpg

We've only just begun!

Dan Mega
04-14-2006, 02:59 PM
I say pencil them in for 65 wins. Look at the division they play in:

1)Mets- good, solid team.

2)Braves- no Leo Mazzone? No thank you (7+ team ERA is worst in majors)

3)Nats- pathetic.

4)Lots of hitting, no pitching. What happens when the Marlins 4th starter has a good game and give up only 2 runs? Marlins can win.

They also play in the NL which is basically the AAA to the AL in terms of talented teams.

65 wins, magic number!