PDA

View Full Version : put Macoviak in center

Hawkeroo1980
04-12-2006, 02:38 PM
i'm sick of potty training anderson. 3-1 pitch with bases loaded and he strikes out.

Commits an error late in the game that ended up coming accross homeplate in a close game.

Also, Article today about McCarthy possibly closing if the sox run into some trouble with Jenks. I would like to see this be the first move if Jenks faulters.

PaulDrake
04-12-2006, 02:42 PM
Don't be so quick to give Anderson and Jenks the hook. Anderson especially needs a good long look.

StockdaleForVeep
04-12-2006, 02:44 PM
i'm sick of potty training anderson. 3-1 pitch with bases loaded and he strikes out.

Commits an error late in the game that ended up coming accross homeplate in a close game.

Also, Article today about McCarthy possibly closing if the sox run into some trouble with Jenks. I would like to see this be the first move if Jenks faulters.

How do you know Macowiak would be a vast improvement from anderson?
Also, mccarthy closes, who's gonna be our setup to him then. For the time being he's been the most reliable arm in the pen

D. TODD
04-12-2006, 02:46 PM

Also, Article today about McCarthy possibly closing if the sox run into some trouble with Jenks. I would like to see this be the first move if Jenks faulters.Easy chief. No time to cut and run on Anderson yet it's only 8 games into the year. Mac will get plenty of spot starts in center though.

Chez
04-12-2006, 02:46 PM
Macowiak hasn't exactly torn the cover off the ball! What was Ventura when he first came up; 1 for 40? Be patient with the kid.

IlliniSox4Life
04-12-2006, 02:48 PM
Whose Macoviak? Is he related to Taguchi or Posednik?

Deuce
04-12-2006, 02:48 PM
Lousy #9 hitter!!! Bench him!!! Put Mack in there, even though he stinks as a centerfielder and has a worse batting average, OBP, and OPS!!!

:prozac

sox1970
04-12-2006, 02:49 PM
Anderson will make rookie mistakes. Let him settle in, and he'll be fine.

Macoviak? Macowiak?

Irishsox1
I have no idea if Brian Anderson will ever make it in the big leagues, but I don't think the defending world champions should be the ones who are training him. Yes it's early, yes he's a rookie but I remember when Rowand was sucking it up they sent him down for a while. Hell, Mickey Mantle was sent down during his rookie year, but Brian Anderson is no Mickey Mantle. I just wonder how long he'll get to stink it up until he get's sent down. My guess is mid May.

Deuce

:tealpolice:

soxfan13
04-12-2006, 02:52 PM
Can this be considered a dark cloud thread?

Soxfanspcu11
04-12-2006, 02:52 PM
Easy chief. No time to cut and run on Anderson yet it's only 8 games into the year. Mac will get plenty of spot starts in center though.

Couldn't agree more. 8 games into the season is WAY to early to start saying that Anderson needs to be benched. If 1 month from now, May 12th, he is still having these problems, then it needs to be addressed, but as of right now, I don't think so.

And I really like Rob, he graduated from my high school, his sister was my friends best friend, my mom was his mail lady, he is incredibly versatile and he is a Flubs killer. All good reasons to support him, but he certaily has been sucking pretty bad as of late. Right now, he is not an upgrade over Brian, but like you said, only 8 games into the season, let's see how this pans out for a bit.

However, if both Anderson and Rob continue to struggle, I wouldn't mind seeing Sweeney come up and get a shot at it. It wouldn't hurt to experiment with that, IMHO.

Jjav829
04-12-2006, 02:53 PM
I have no idea if Brian Anderson will ever make it in the big leagues, but I don't think the defending world champions should be the ones who are training him. Yes it's early, yes he's a rookie but I remember when Rowand was sucking it up they sent him down for a while. Hell, Mickey Mantle was sent down during his rookie year, but Brian Anderson is no Mickey Mantle. I just wonder how long he'll get to stink it up until he get's sent down. My guess is mid May.

My guess is that he gets a hell of a lot more than 8 games to prove whether he belongs in the majors. :rolleyes:

Ichiro is hitting .176. The Mariners should send him down!

Jjav829
04-12-2006, 02:54 PM

No, but it can be considered a dumbass thread.

Randar68
04-12-2006, 02:54 PM

:chickenlittle

*****. You're right, teams never restock from within. McCarthy should never start again and Anderson shouldn't have the opportunity to adjust to this level BATTING IN THE MOTHER ****ING 9 SPOT. Certainly we should be playing a far inferior defender in CF just because of a rookie struggling at the plate in the first 10 games of the season...

:whoflungpoo

soxfan13
04-12-2006, 02:55 PM
I think they should bench Thome also he was only 2-4 with only 1 homer and one rbi

infohawk
04-12-2006, 02:57 PM
Anderson will be just fine. I seem to remember Aaron not getting to a couple of balls that dropped right in front of him in the 9th inning of two World Series games with Jenks on the mound. I remember Ozzie looking pretty upset that those ball were misplayed. It happens, even with good outfielders.

I really think that this was just another example of almost getting bitten by the conditions in the outfield once again. The wind got Pablo (although he was playing out of position) and the rain almost got the Sox in the 9th. Anderson broke back, but couldn't hold the ball in his glove on coming in. I don't know about you guys, but I once had a bad experience coming in hard on a catchable ball in the rain. The slick field prevents you from running as hard because you might slip, and you're looking up into the rain pounding down on your face. I found it kind of disorienting, and, to no surprise, I dropped the ball. Without the rain it would have been a can-of-corn.

To Bobby's credit, he stayed tough and didn't walk anyone and got the two outs when he easily could have been rattled after the drop and 2-run homer.

Uncle_Patrick
Wasn't today the first time Anderson made a major flub in the outfield? I wish he was hitting better, but let's give him a little time to come around. I like Mackowiak, but I don't think he's a major upgrade.

skobabe8

Come on, man. BA has already gotten the impression that he's under no pressure to rake at the plate--just play a strong CF. So what would you be saying to him by sending him down? Talk about ruining a guys confidence. Let him get his feet wet out there before we start OVER REACTING please.

fly high
04-12-2006, 03:00 PM
Anderson will be just fine. I seem to remember Aaron not getting to a couple of balls that dropped right in front of him in the 9th inning of two World Series games with Jenks on the mound. I remember Ozzie looking pretty upset that those ball were misplayed. It happens, even with good outfielders.

Don't forget Aaron's bonehead run to home that nearly cost us game 2 of the ALCS

DaleJRFan
04-12-2006, 03:04 PM
Don't forget Aaron's bonehead run to home that nearly cost us game 2 of the ALCS

Joey Cora yelled for him to get up and run. If the play pissed you off that badly, lynch Cora and NOT Rowand.

Justagirl
04-12-2006, 03:05 PM
The guy's a great center, imo. I agree though, 8 games in, its really too early to tell. I think he'll definately shock us all- Besides Thome and Crede, I havent really seen anything THAT special from anyone so far, we've only played 8 games!

Uncle_Patrick
04-12-2006, 03:13 PM
Honestly, I like BA. I think he's gonna be good. It'll be rough to start, but I think the kid's got the talent to make it happen for himself.

SoLongFrank
04-12-2006, 03:15 PM
I too am concerned. Rowand was not a hit/miss badly CFer like Anderson. Rowand either made a web gem play or misjudged a ball & had to play it on a one hop. The damage on nearly all Rowand miscues was held to a single.

Anderson misses badly. It's not just this play. I've seen him getting bad jumps on balls hit in the gaps. Where Rowand was able to cut them off & hold guys to singles it's as if it's an automatic double these days if a ball is hit in the gap & rolls to the warning track.

I know Brain has a rocket arm & the speed to be a good CFer but we are an oportunistic team with small margins for mis-plays. We can easily stomach his bat but we can't stomach plays like today.

To Jenks credit he didn't become mentally unglued like Cub players so often do. He hung tough & continued to challenge hitters with the heat. If Anderson's error helped Jenks find his mental toughness it's not too bad.

Madvora
04-12-2006, 03:16 PM
Anderson is probably hitting .100 points higher than Jermaine Dye at this point last year. Remember him... our World Series MVP?

fly high
04-12-2006, 03:17 PM
Joey Cora yelled for him to get up and run. If the play pissed you off that badly, lynch Cora and NOT Rowand.

Yep you are right, it's all Cora's fault. Blame Cora for everything.:whiner:

Tekijawa
04-12-2006, 03:18 PM
Anderson is better in the OF than Pods and Has a higher everything with the Bat... Maybe we should move Mak-o-wak to Left?

kittle42
04-12-2006, 03:19 PM
I know Brain has a rocket arm & the speed to be a good CFer

Brain rules. So does Macoviak.

ilsox7
04-12-2006, 03:20 PM
Yep you are right, it's all Cora's fault. Blame Cora for everything.:whiner:

Actually, when a player cannot see the play in front of them, their eyes are the base coach. So in that case, it most certainly was Cora's fault.

IlliniSox4Life
04-12-2006, 03:20 PM
I too am concerned. Rowand was not a hit/miss badly CFer like Anderson. Rowand either made a web gem play or misjudged a ball & had to play it on a one hop. The damage on nearly all Rowand miscues was held to a single.

Anderson misses badly. It's not just this play. I've seen him getting bad jumps on balls hit in the gaps. Where Rowand was able to cut them off & hold guys to singles it's as if it's an automatic double these days if a ball is hit in the gap & rolls to the warning track.

I know Brain has a rocket arm & the speed to be a good CFer but we are an oportunistic team with small margins for mis-plays. We can easily stomach his bat but we can't stomach plays like today.

To Jenks credit he didn't become mentally unglued like Cub players so often do. He hung tough & continued to challenge hitters with the heat. If Anderson's error helped Jenks find his mental toughness it's not too bad.

I don't know if you realized this, but we won today. I can stomach a win.

Randar68
04-12-2006, 03:21 PM

1) Rowand played many-a-ball into doubles.
2) Please remind me of all these bad jumps Anderson has had, because I haven't seen any glaring ones up to this point of the season.

Frater Perdurabo
04-12-2006, 03:21 PM
We really need to send Buehrle down, too. In his first start, ON OPENING NIGHT IN FRONT OF A NATIONAL AUDIENCE ON ESPN, he only lasted three innings!

And Garland got rocked in his last start. We need to trade him back to the Cubs for Matt Karchner (if the Cubs even are willing to take him back) and sign Roger Clemens.

And that worthless Iguchi. He went hitless today. What a POS. Will he ever get another hit again?

Justagirl
04-12-2006, 03:22 PM
Anderson is probably hitting .100 points higher than Jermaine Dye at this point last year. Remember him... our World Series MVP?
Its so much fun to pick on the new guy though :tongue:
Seriously though, that's my point. This early in the season Im not expecting much from anyone yet...good thing too because I'd be a saaad panda if I was.

Uncle_Patrick
04-12-2006, 03:23 PM
Please remind me of all these bad jumps Anderson has had, because I haven't seen any glaring ones up to this point of the season.

Thank you, I was wondering the same thing.

fly high
04-12-2006, 03:24 PM
Actually, when a player cannot see the play in front of them, their eyes are the base coach. So in that case, it most certainly was Cora's fault.
BA would have made it.

Uncle_Patrick
04-12-2006, 03:28 PM
Please remind me of all these bad jumps Anderson has had, because I haven't seen any glaring ones up to this point of the season.

The only play I can think of was against KC where Anderson dove for the ball and missed. However, the real problem was that Mackowiak slowed down when Anderson dove and so once the ball got passed Anderson no one was there to back up the play.

Ol' No. 2
04-12-2006, 03:29 PM
Anderson has to go. Only four hits. And I'm not counting two of them, so that's only two.

I nominate this for the dumbass thread of the week.

spiffie
04-12-2006, 03:30 PM
I was at the last Cleveland game and it seemed like he got a couple of rather ugly jumps in that one. Perhaps it seemed worse because Casey Blake was having one of those games where a guy gets to everything in the park, but there were a few instances that day where Anderson seemed to have trouble reading it. Today's rain-influence gaffe excluded, it looks like he has trouble going back on the ball. His first few steps going back seemed quite uncertain in the games I was at the park for. I'll say though in both cases there was some bad weather involved, so maybe he just doesn't like rain or feel comfortable in wet weather.

Frater Perdurabo
04-12-2006, 03:30 PM
2) Please remind me of all these bad jumps Anderson has had, because I haven't seen any glaring ones up to this point of the season.

Randar, don't you know? Baseball Prospectus had an article that empirically proves that a bad jump happens when a CF doesn't think enough about his WHIPPOOPS and STOOPID stats and instead plays close, relying too much on his arm and his instincts - which do not exist because they cannot be quantified - to get back on a fly ball. The very best CFs, as Billy Beane revealed to us in the Gospel of Moneyball, play at the warning track so they can see the entire field in front of them! Besides, the biggest proof that Rowand was better than Anderson was the fact that Kenny Williams traded him away. Clearly KW has no eye for talent, so anyone he develops or acquires is garbage, but anyone he trades automatically improves the instant he puts on another uniform!

:)

maurice
04-12-2006, 03:32 PM
http://www.geocities.com/yank2010/niceday.jpg
"This thread has gone from suck to blow."

TDog
04-12-2006, 03:39 PM

On opening for Seattle this year, Jeremy Reed had a 3-1 count with the bases loaded, none out and score tied and he struck out. M's didn't score that inning. Reed also struck out in the ninth, in the 1-run loss. It happens to highly regarded prospects, even when they're not rookies anymore.

Anderson bats ninth. Pitchers have walked hitters to get to him, and he has obliged with inning-ending outs. Borchard has a higher batting average as an occasional player in Seattle than Anderson does as a starter for the Sox.

Anderson needs to start, though, because he is the Sox best defense center fielder.

Hangar18
04-12-2006, 03:45 PM

No

ode to veeck
04-12-2006, 03:48 PM
Anderson has to go. Only four hits. And I'm not counting two of them, so that's only two.

LMAO on the teal there, you got a second on the nomination, let's vote

ilsox7
04-12-2006, 03:49 PM

This was going to be my exact response. Instead, I'll just say that I am sick of potty training posters at WSI.

ode to veeck
04-12-2006, 03:50 PM
http://www.geocities.com/yank2010/niceday.jpg
"This thread has gone from suck to blow."

I don't know abput that, the teal posts are the funniest since Hangar's tinfoil office was 1st shown

fly high
04-12-2006, 03:53 PM
This was going to be my exact response. Instead, I'll just say that I am sick of potty training posters at WSI.

One potty training poster coming up!

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a53/mobotix/redneck_sitting_on_toilet.jpg

Frater Perdurabo
04-12-2006, 04:06 PM

:rolling:

The above photo needs to tagged and put next to this one:

OG4LIFE
04-12-2006, 05:10 PM
anderson is light years ahead of mack defensively. Offensively, mack simply flails at the ball. Anderson has a relatively decent swing, and he will get better as he adjusts to major league pitching every day. Mack is a platoon/backup. with time, anderson is an everyday player. pretty easy to see if you ask me...

ma-gaga
04-12-2006, 05:18 PM
You guys have no idea how happy this thread makes me.

And a little sad...

Sigh.

miker
04-12-2006, 05:18 PM
If he's as good as the Sox feel he is, Anderson will learn and if the Sox can be a playoff-contending ballclub while Anderson is still learning, then he should stay in center.
Mac is more valuable off the bench.
Some of pictures recently posted in this thread disturb me.Thank you. That is all.

ode to veeck
04-12-2006, 05:35 PM
3. Some of pictures recently posted in this thread disturb me.

LMAO .. and yes, they should

Tragg
04-12-2006, 06:01 PM
Don't be hasty with Anderson...people expect young players to be all star caliber right out of the box. That's how you ensure you never develop any. Leave him alone.

McCarthy will be a brilliant starting pitcher in a few years, and starters are worth a lot more than closers. He's one of the most valuable commodities on this team; if he has to close some, fine, but his future hopefully stays as a starting pitcher.

tick53
04-12-2006, 06:09 PM
It's EARLY all is well. Trust Oswaldo to make the right moves.

MarySwiss
04-12-2006, 06:15 PM

Second.

thomas35forever
04-12-2006, 06:29 PM
It's still too early to judge Anderson. How do you know if Mackowiak won't falter? Give Brian a chance.

Corlose 15
04-12-2006, 06:35 PM

You must be getting sick of threads like these. :redneck

It must make you feel like you're talking to one of these:
http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:m6plCVgt0Vl01M:http://www.deskpicture.com/DPs/Miscellaneous/PittedBrickWall_g.jpg (http://www.deskpicture.com/DPs/Miscellaneous/PittedBrickWall_g.jpg)

Hagan
04-12-2006, 06:36 PM
Anderson will be fine. He is our 9th hitter and a rookie. He will improve through out the year and he does play good defense. I am sorry but we are 8 games into the season and the numbers that are being put up now are all going to return to somewhat normal for each player. I do not expect thome to keep his ops above .1400 for the year and i do not think pods and anderson will be hitting the poorly at the end of the year. Jenks will be fine also. Putting brandon in the closer role is not a good idea because we need to use him as a spot starter or long relief guy. He is a future starter for us and will be great, but putting him as a closer is not going to help him as much, to become that starter that he can possibly be. We should keep what we have now, and if anderson still has problems later down the year, then we should look at other options.

Corlose 15
04-12-2006, 06:37 PM
Furthermore I propose that in any thread where the poster can neither use proper capital letters, nor spell the mentioned player's name right, his original post must immediately be disregarded.

1951Campbell
04-12-2006, 06:40 PM

http://english.pravda.ru/img/idb/marijuana32.jpg

delben91
04-12-2006, 06:58 PM
I'm still monitoring this thread in hopes that one poster will call another a "turkey leg."

TaylorStSox
04-12-2006, 09:27 PM
*insert obligatory Aaron Rowand sucks post* :bandance:

Palehose13
04-12-2006, 10:25 PM
I'm still monitoring this thread in hopes that one poster will call another a "turkey leg."

Shut your trap, you turkey leg. :D:

Realist
04-12-2006, 10:48 PM

This thread make me wish there was a button on my keyboard that I could hit and a syringe of heroin would pop out of my monitor and shoot me in the eye.

StockdaleForVeep
04-12-2006, 10:56 PM

http://www.mustangmods.com/data/10900/brilliant.jpg
brilliant

Hitmen77
04-12-2006, 11:04 PM

I loved that movie "Being John Macoviak". :redneck

ilsox7
04-12-2006, 11:07 PM

You're a turkey leg?!?! :dunno::cool:

Mohoney
04-12-2006, 11:15 PM

He kinda looks like Steve Perry.

daveeym
04-13-2006, 10:22 AM
Shut your trap, you turkey leg. :D:Oh yeah, well you're a cheese stick.

PennStater98r
04-13-2006, 10:59 AM
Oh yeah, well you're a cheese stick.

Mmmmmm - cheese sticks...

You're gumbo.

You know - we should make art using the Chicken Little from Disney. It should be posted in this thread.

ode to veeck
04-13-2006, 11:03 AM
I loved that movie "Being John Macoviak". :redneck

LOL!

I knew I find some more good teal funnies in this thread this morning.

How about the scenes where 1st Aaron Rowand and then Brian Anderson were inside of Macoviak's body trying to run bad routes in center field and Mac's body refused?

SoLongFrank
04-13-2006, 11:26 AM
Read the game logs. When OFers make great plays or terrible plays they get written up. Do you have any proof that Rowand played many-a-ball into doubles? Do you ever?

It's ok to defend Anderson but if you think you can get away with knocking Rowand in the process fughedabutit! Rowand is 10 times the CFer Anderson is right now. That might change because after all Rowand wasn't great in his first month either but don't try to suggest Anderson is something he's not at this time: a good CFer.

Anderson might just be keeping the seat warm for Hunter. Hunter has put an ultimatum to the Twinkees, "win the division or he walks". When the White Sox win the division again or dare I say repeat as World Champions it seems they would be the most likely destination for what many consider the best CFer in the game today (when he's healthy).

TDog
04-13-2006, 12:02 PM
Anderson might just be keeping the seat warm for Hunter. Hunter has put an ultimatum to the Twinkees, "win the division or he walks". When the White Sox win the division again or dare I say repeat as World Champions it seems they would be the most likely destination for what many consider the best CFer in the game today (when he's healthy).

I was thinking about the possibility of Hunter coming to the Sox recently. Certainly the Twinks wouldn't trade him within the division this season, although if the Twinks fall out of the race, he could be dealt to a team that would have no qualms about trading him to the Sox for Anderson and pitching. More likely, he could be signed as a free agent this off-season.

What I was wondering was how a player so hated by Sox fans might be welcomed on the team.

AJ is doing OK, of course. And Albert Belle would have done well if he weren't such a, well, jerk. Torii Hunter might fit in nicely with the Sox.

Chisox003
04-13-2006, 12:05 PM
I think we have a better chance at seeing Rowand back here before we see Hunter.

And honestly, if the Phils fall out of the hunt by June (quite possible with that pitching), and Anderson is still scuffling (doubtful), Rowand might be back.

A LONG stretch indeed. Hopefully BA just makes things simple and starts swingin the bat. Me thinks he will.

Jjav829
04-13-2006, 12:08 PM
I think we have a better chance at seeing Rowand back here before we see Hunter.

And honestly, if the Phils fall out of the hunt by June (quite possible with that pitching), and Anderson is still scuffling (doubtful), Rowand might be back.

A LONG stretch indeed. Hopefully BA just makes things simple and starts swingin the bat. Me thinks he will.
It's entirely too early to talk about replacing Anderson with a trade, but if this were to continue into June/July and KW decided he needed someone who could contribute more right now, I think he would probably re-visit the Griffey trade.

maurice
04-13-2006, 12:54 PM
Over the years, I've been the biggest Rowand-defender on this site, but Anderson's defense > Rowand's defense.

I watched the replay of the game last night, and it wasn't even a bad play. Anderson got a late break in on a ball hit at him while looking up into the pouring rain and has so much quickness that he almost managed to make the catch anyway. 90% of CFers don't get within 10 feet of that ball, which would keep the announcer from calling it a misplay. DJ is a moron. I only regret that I'm unable to mute the game and put on Rooney.
:angry:

As for Griffey, it looks like he might be injured again (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2406777).

Ol' No. 2
04-13-2006, 05:00 PM
As for Griffey, it looks like he might be injured again (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2406777).In other news, the sun rose in the east and a squirrel was seen to run up a tree with a nut.

Randar68
04-13-2006, 05:03 PM
Rowand is 10 times the CFer Anderson is right now.

Good lord, you're going by ****ing game logs?

Tragg
04-13-2006, 05:05 PM
I'm a lot more concerned about Podsednik than Anderson. If worse comes to worst, we could call up someone and shift things around for Anderson; but for Podsednik, at the lead-off position, we have zero replacement possibilities and he is a liability if he isn't getting on base.

SoLongFrank
04-13-2006, 05:09 PM
Rowand makes that catch yesterday. I'll give Brian some credit. He looked good out there today. He read the ball off the bat better & got better jumps.

There's no question he's a more talented player than Aaron. He can run faster, throw stronger & farther, & has a much quicker first step speed burst. But it's going to take time for him to learn the position at the big league's. He's going to make mistakes. I'm certainly willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Hunter on the other hand homered today to sweep the A's at home. If we keep his Twins from winning the division he's practically ours.

Ol' No. 2
04-13-2006, 05:35 PM
Rowand makes that catch yesterday. I'll give Brian some credit. He looked good out there today. He read the ball off the bat better & got better jumps.

There's no question he's a more talented player than Aaron. He can run faster, throw stronger & farther, & has a much quicker first step speed burst. But it's going to take time for him to learn the position at the big league's. He's going to make mistakes. I'm certainly willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Hunter on the other hand homered today to sweep the A's at home. If we keep his Twins from winning the division he's practically ours.Rowand wouldn't have come within 10 feet of that ball.

delben91
04-13-2006, 05:52 PM
Oh yeah, well you're a cheese stick.

I was waiting for that. Well done daveeym and PaleHose13!

:gulp:

Beautox
04-14-2006, 12:27 AM
http://img489.imageshack.us/img489/1313/brilliant3pk.jpg
brilliant

Let me fix that for ya :wink:

IlliniSox4Life
04-14-2006, 01:31 AM
For all of you who hate Brian Anderson, here's some comparisons to Rowand's avg:

02 Rowand - hit .190 through first 42 games he appeared in

Sox's 1st 9 - First Month
03 Rowand - .217 - .132
04 Rowand - .231 - .226
05 Rowand - .229 - .233
06 Anderson- .154 - ?

Well, those numbers look slightly better for Rowand, but we're talking a limited sample size here for both players. If we took just the first 5 games, Anderson would be hitting .267. Here's some other numbers for you to consider:

In 2003, Rowand batted .132 through his first month, but if you go even further, he was batting .118 through his first 24 games

In 2004, Rowand batted .176 in the first 6 games of the season.

In 2005, Rowand batted .167 through the first 8 games of the season. Yes, that's right: In the White Sox 2005 championship season, through 8 games, Aaron Rowand himself batted .167 (Anderson batted .182 through the first 8)

EDIT: Forgot to mention Mackowiak is only hitting .158 right now anyway. How is that all that much better?

Ol' No. 2
04-14-2006, 08:54 AM
For all of you who hate Brian Anderson, here's some comparisons to Rowand's avg:

03 Rowand - .217 - .132
04 Rowand - .231 - .226
05 Rowand - .229 - .233
06 Anderson- .154 - ?

Well, those numbers look slightly better for Rowand, but we're talking a limited sample size here for both players. If we took just the first 5 games, Anderson would be hitting .267. Here's some other numbers for you to consider:

In 2003, Rowand batted .132 through his first month, but if you go even further, he was batting .118 through his first 24 games

In 2005, Rowand batted .167 through the first 8 games of the season. Yes, that's right: In the White Sox 2005 championship season, through 8 games, Aaron Rowand himself batted .167 (Anderson batted .182 through the first 8)

EDIT: Forgot to mention Mackowiak is only hitting .158 right now anyway. How is that all that much better?You're looking at this logically. People just need to have a whipping boy. Last year it was Crede for most of the season. A few weeks ago, Thornton was the POS du jour. Now it's Anderson. Sooner or later he'll break out and it will be somebody else.

Jurr
04-14-2006, 09:54 AM
You're looking at this logically. People just need to have a whipping boy. Last year it was Crede for most of the season. A few weeks ago, Thornton was the POS du jour. Now it's Anderson. Sooner or later he'll break out and it will be somebody else.
AMEN! People hated Rowand and Crede forever. Maybe they just don't remember (or ever saw) Rowand struggling:cool: .

Realist
04-14-2006, 02:16 PM
You're looking at this logically. People just need to have a whipping boy. Last year it was Crede for most of the season. A few weeks ago, Thornton was the POS du jour. Now it's Anderson. Sooner or later he'll break out and it will be somebody else.
I'm still furious that we didn't trade or bench Dye last season after the start he got.

Lprof
04-16-2006, 04:44 PM

03 Rowand - .217 - .132
04 Rowand - .231 - .226
05 Rowand - .229 - .233
06 Anderson- .154 - ?

EDIT: Forgot to mention Mackowiak is only hitting .158 right now anyway. How is that all that much better?

Screw comparisons to Rowand! That's not the point. First, even if it were, in fact, true that Rowand was better than Anderson, that wasn't whom we traded Rowand for--it was Thome; no rational human being could say that was as bad deal, at this point. The issue, rather, is whether we have a ninth place hitter who is no better a hitter than the pitchers who bat ninth in the National League! It is, of course, too early to write Anderson's obit; lots of good hitters start out slow. My problem, however (and I mentioned this all winter) is that we have no "Plan B." Mack is a great guy to have on your bench; he is not, however, the starting center fielder on a pennant winning team. I wanted someone like Lofton as an "in case"; while the jury is certainly still out on Anderson, he sure didn't look impressive last year, and looks even worse this year. He has absolutely no sense of the strike zone. At some point Kenny is going to have to get a starting outfielder who is at least serviceable.
Please don't get me wrong; I love Kenny, and no one bats 1.000. But I really wish that, after missing so badly on Borchard, he at least had enough humility to recognize that he may be wrong about Anderson, too.

Hopefully, starting tomorrow, Anderson will make me look like a total jerk by going on a tremendous hot streak.

SouthSide_HitMen
04-16-2006, 10:13 PM
Anyone who was at Game 2 (Ring Day) saw first hand Mackowiak cannot play centerfield. He should be in the corners (infield 3B or 1B, outfield RF or LF).

Anyone throwing Anderson under a bus needs to learn some patience though I am not surprised with the short attention, no tolerance, no patience "microwave generation" which has emerged since the 1980s and has only gotten worse.

SoLongFrank
04-16-2006, 11:03 PM
I agree. I'm losing confidence in our reserves being able to play CF.
Ozuna - good speed but brutal in the OFer. Bad judgement, bad jumps.
Gload, Mak - lack the speed to play it consistently.
Cintron - Has he even played in the OF?

Anderson would have to really fail over 100 AB for him to be swapped out for a hot hitting Mak or Sweeney.

QCIASOXFAN
04-16-2006, 11:19 PM
I think we should give him at least 3 weeks before we totally throw him under the bus. Although I do agree that it does not look good right now. Lets just see how he comes back from sitting these past few games. Lots of great players have had slow starts. I'll make my repost assessment in the first week of May.

doublem23
04-17-2006, 02:19 AM
http://img489.imageshack.us/img489/1313/brilliant3pk.jpgLet me fix that for ya :wink:
:roflmao:

The meat and potatoes of this thread are ridiculous, but the images are hysterical.

Best worst thread ever!