PDA

View Full Version : ***Official*** Win 3 of another 8 game winning streak postgame

downstairs
04-12-2006, 02:21 PM
Bobby making it interesting....

Uncle_Patrick
04-12-2006, 02:22 PM
The Sox are at .500!

:bandance:

markopat
WHEW...that got a little hairy!

Go Go SOX!:bandance: :bandance: :bandance:

Brian26
Does Jenks get a save for that too?

gbergman
another thomer woohoo!!!

soxfan13
04-12-2006, 02:23 PM
2 in row against that scary team from Detroit !!!

mccoydp
A little too close for my comfort near the end, but I'll take a White Sox Winner any day!

:winner:

Baby Fisk
The Sox are at .500!

:bandance:

But the Tigers are still ahead of us. Why are you celebrating?

gbergman
yes he does, he did not let them tie or win

CaptainBallz
Almost lost my lunch there, but...

:winner

DSpivack

I don't see why not, you get a save w/ a lead 3 runs or fewer. He came in leading 4-1.

soxfan13
04-12-2006, 02:24 PM

Yes he does

Dibbs
Brain helped Bobby make it interesting.

Kogs35
whewwwwwwwwwwwww thanks bobby now i can carve the turkey knowing the whitesox won :bandance: :bandance:

Uncle_Patrick

I forgot...if the season ended today....

Ol' No. 2
I don't see why not, you get a save w/ a lead 3 runs or fewer. He came in leading 4-1.This is why the save is just about the most useless statistic in baseball.

batmanZoSo
I've never liked closers coming in with a 3 run lead. I don't care what the rules are, to me that's not a save situation. The intensity just isn't there, it shows.

Regardless, let's sweep them tomorrow. Garland's turn to redeem himself.

:moonwalk:

LongLiveFisk
04-12-2006, 02:25 PM
Please, Bobby....stop with the Billy Koch impersonations.

Otherwise, another "W"!! :bandance:

MarySwiss
I can see where this is going to be another one of those seasons where it'll take me twice as long to do half as much work! :tongue:

mrs. hendu
Whew! Good job Contreras, Bobby making my heart stop there for a second, but still not bad, Thome again!!! Good game (well any White Sox winner is a good game :D: ).

:gulp:

lostletters
04-12-2006, 02:26 PM
Who is begining to think that 35-40 HR mark for Thome is just WAY to low. I think this guys natural swing will send balls flying out during the summer.

jenn2080
04-12-2006, 02:26 PM

Because it is the 2nd week of baseball and Detroit wont be ahead of us for long!

HotelWhiteSox
04-12-2006, 02:27 PM
Bobby is starting to worry me, I seem to remember a similar pattern with Koch and Shingo at the early part of this year. I know, completely different pitchers and situations, but at the end of their runs, they'd start by getting saves in games with a two or three run lead by giving up a run or two, and saying 'it won't happen with a 1 run lead, I tighten up then'. Then they started blowing saves...

Anyways, the Sox are back. Pitching dominates, the offense gets it done, and a Pods hit (though I didn't see it)

soxfanatlanta
04-12-2006, 02:27 PM
Please, Bobby....stop with the Billy Koch impersonations.

Otherwise, another "W"!! :bandance:

I've said it many times, closer just scare the **** out of me. Unless you have M. Rivera out there, you are playing Russian roulette.

soxfan13
04-12-2006, 02:28 PM
Who is begining to think that 35-40 HR mark for Thome is just WAY to low. I think this guys natural swing will send balls flying out during the summer.

Cant wait to see him at The Cell with warm breezes

Brian26
04-12-2006, 02:28 PM
This is why the save is just about the most useless statistic in baseball.

Yep, that's where I was going with it. Jenks comes in, isn't really effective, and yet gets "rewarded" with a save. It's a complete joke.

At least we got the W. Jose deserved the win.

batmanZoSo
04-12-2006, 02:29 PM
Who else thinks this is the last we'll ever see of the .500 mark?

Sox83Kid
04-12-2006, 02:30 PM
Whew! That was close! Maybe Macarthy should be the closer for the time being.

soxfan13
04-12-2006, 02:31 PM

nooooooooooooooo

Uncle_Patrick
04-12-2006, 02:31 PM

No. I think Bobby will return to form.

Baby Fisk
04-12-2006, 02:32 PM
Because it is the 2nd week of baseball and Detroit wont be ahead of us for long!
Heh heh, as my friend the Tigers fan pointed out: "Don't worry, it's the Tigers and it's still early..." GO GO SOX! :bandance:

I had limited visuals for this game. Some folks indicated there was heavy rain in the 9th. This must have affected Bobby's ability to grip and throw at high velocity, no?

HotelWhiteSox

No long reliever then

MUsoxfan
Who else thinks this is the last we'll ever see of the .500 mark?

I hope so, but I'm not gonna gloat yet. If we're 5 games above .500 after next weekend's Twins series, then maybe I'll be a bit more confident about the ability to maintain a strong record

soxfanatlanta
04-12-2006, 02:33 PM
This is the second consecutive game that was less than three hours long, which is impressive these days. On the bad side of that, I could not get my XM signal in the building where I work. Oh well, a small trade.

BeviBall!
Shelton is as hot as Thome is. Who cares if he gives up a 2 run HR when we have a 3-run lead? I'd rather him challenge the batter than *****foot around and walk him... bringing the tying run to the plate.

Bobby got the job done. End of story.

Deebs14
A little too close for comfort towards the end there, but I'll take it nonetheless.:cool:

Now let's finish off these jagbags tomorrow! :gulp:

soxfan13
No. I think Bobby will return to form.

I agree. Just 2 days ago on a thread Bobby was OK again. Give him a break he tried to sneak a fastball by the hottest hitter in baseball who could bat with his eyes closed right now.

Ol' No. 2
04-12-2006, 02:36 PM
Who is begining to think that 35-40 HR mark for Thome is just WAY to low. I think this guys natural swing will send balls flying out during the summer.BP thinks we'd be better off with Ed Sprague. :roflmao:

Flight #24
04-12-2006, 02:36 PM
Very very nice win. Solid O, great pitching by Jose, and despite the Anderson play in the 9th, generally good D (at least on the radio!).

What would be especially nice would be to win tomorrow, going into the Blue Jays series on a roll. Plus, the Tigers play the Tribe, so we'll have a chance to make up ground on at least one of what urrently look like the other contenders in the ALC

(and yes, I know it's ridiculously early, but it's still nice to get and stay on top of the division.)

spiffie
04-12-2006, 02:37 PM
It wouldn't have looked nearly as bad for Jenks if Anderson makes that catch and the HR is a solo shot. Then it's a 4-2 win, everyone says "Shelton is on fire like Thome, whatchagonnado?" But the man on base made it look worse for big Bobby than it should have been.

IlliniSox4Life
04-12-2006, 02:38 PM
I had limited visuals for this game. Some folks indicated there was heavy rain in the 9th. This must have affected Bobby's ability to grip and throw at high velocity, no?

It was raining hard, but Bobby seemed alright. It was more Anderson taking a bad jump on a ball and barely missing the Maggs hit, which ended up bringing Shelton up with a guy on second and 1 out instead of nobody and 2 outs. Shelton is about as hot as they get, and he just made contact on one of Bobby's fastball. He was hitting around 95-96 on the radar on television youre never sure if the tv radar is righ, but it seemed about right). Bobby had a little bit of a control problem, but it wasn't too bad. He just needs to take it little by little and get his velocity up, he can get by on what he's got for now.

Flight #24
04-12-2006, 02:38 PM
On a personal note: 3 guys in the game from my fantasy team: Thome, Konerko, Shelton......:bandance: for the stats, but :supernana: for the Sox win!

Uncle_Patrick
04-12-2006, 02:39 PM
BP thinks we'd be better off with Ed Sprague. :roflmao:

Someone over at motownsports.com said they'd rather have Infante instead of Thome as their DH.

chisox117
04-12-2006, 02:40 PM
That's 3 in a row...hopefully Garland can bounce back tomorrow.

Go Sox!

MarySwiss
04-12-2006, 02:41 PM
BP thinks we'd be better off with Ed Sprague. :roflmao:

I think I have developed some sort of allergic condition. Everytime I see or hear BP mentioned, I get stomach burbles. :(:

IlliniSox4Life
04-12-2006, 02:41 PM
Also, its good to see Contreras get a 9 game winning streak dating back to last year! Who says we don't win 9 straight?

D. TODD
04-12-2006, 02:42 PM
Contreras was a stud on the mound today. Very nice to see, Buehrle have a strong performance, backed by Garcia's solid outing, then Jose going 8 strong. Shades of last years key to sauces. Thome just looks plain dangerous in every at bat as well. Good win today!:D: :gulp:

SOXPHILE
04-12-2006, 02:44 PM
Anderson's (non) error didn't help, but Shelton is a dangerous hitter, and he has been on fire so far. I'll chalk that HR up as that, as opposed to Jenks screwing up. Shelton should have been batting with 2 outs, no one on. But, they got the win. I'll take it.

Flight #24
04-12-2006, 02:46 PM
Someone over at motownsports.com said they'd rather have Infante instead of Thome as their DH.

What's so odd about that? I know I'd rather have Infante as their DH than Thome too!

CaptainBallz
04-12-2006, 02:46 PM
It wouldn't have looked nearly as bad for Jenks if Anderson makes that catch and the HR is a solo shot. Then it's a 4-2 win, everyone says "Shelton is on fire like Thome, whatchagonnado?" But the man on base made it look worse for big Bobby than it should have been.

Anderson catches that fly ball and Jenks changes his whole approach towards Shelton. It could still possibly end up in a HR, but either way Jenks doesn't look as bad. He's fine.

MarySwiss
04-12-2006, 02:51 PM
What's so odd about that? I know I'd rather have Infante as their DH than Thome too!

:thumbsup:

batmanZoSo
Anderson catches that fly ball and Jenks changes his whole approach towards Shelton. It could still possibly end up in a HR, but either way Jenks doesn't look as bad. He's fine.

I agree. And on top of that, I don't think you should ever judge a closer on an outing in which he came in with a three run lead...

He's fine for now. He's getting the job done.

SBSoxFan
Who is begining to think that 35-40 HR mark for Thome is just WAY to low.
I think that's right on ... for home! Add another 20 on the road, and we're looking at 50+.

Ol' No. 2
04-12-2006, 02:52 PM
I think I have developed some sort of allergic condition. Everytime I see or hear BP mentioned, I get stomach burbles. :(:I'm starting to enjoy them. They've become a parody of themselves.

Uncle_Patrick
04-12-2006, 02:53 PM
I think I have developed some sort of allergic condition. Everytime I see or hear BP mentioned, I get stomach burbles. :(:

I like knowing that that White Sox will make them look foolish again.

SOecks
04-12-2006, 02:53 PM
Can we also please recognize how bad it was raining? Could have hurt Anderson's ability to catch the ball. Also with how wet I'm sure the ball was wouldn't you say that severely limited Jenks' ability to throw his breaking pitches? So he was stuck with all fastballs. Not really an ideal pitching situation to one of the hottest hitters in the league right now.

Ol' No. 2
04-12-2006, 02:55 PM
What's the final word on The Beast's HR. 440??

Jjav829
04-12-2006, 02:58 PM
When did Contreras become Mark Buehrle? 8 innings, 6 hits, 1 ER, 1 K, 1 BB in a 2:14 game which would have ended sooner if the 9th didn't drag out so long.

Our starters the second time through the rotation so far: 22 innings, 17 hits, 4 ER, 7 K, 4 BB. :thumbsup:

Uncle_Patrick
04-12-2006, 02:59 PM
Can we also please recognize how bad it was raining? Could have hurt Anderson's ability to catch the ball.

Listening to Farmer, it sounded like Anderson just made a bad break for the ball. It happens. I imagine the post-game show will be loaded with "If Rowand was in centerfield..." -type phone calls, though.

SoxFan78
04-12-2006, 03:00 PM
Listening to Farmer, it sounded like Anderson just made a bad break for the ball. It happens. I imagine the post-game show will be loaded with "If Rowand was in centerfield..." -type phone calls, though.

Ask and you shall receive. One caller is on right now.

Jjav829
04-12-2006, 03:02 PM

See, we never should have made the Thome trade. And he's clogging the bases, too! We're not the same team with Thome just trying to hit balls out of the park instead of doing the little things that Everett did...

SOecks

1. You must be psychic because a guy just called in with that exact same statement and Chris quickly dismissed it as WRONG.
2. I don't disagree that he made a bad break, but I think the rain and wet field hurt his speed and ability to go full speed to get the ball. Either way, he gets a pass from me. Judging balls in the rain is not an easy thing. Plus I'm sure he didn't want anything to get behind him in that situation so I can excuse the bad break to get things started.

infohawk
Bobby making it interesting.... I mentioned in another thread that the ball that Anderson had to bust in on reminded me of two 9th inning scenarios during the World Series where Rowand misread two catchable balls to lead off the innings with Jenks on the mound. I think they were game 2 and 4. I remember Ozzie looking upset with Aaron, kind of like he looked upset when Brian couldn't hang onto the ball. Anyway, I think the pouring down rain had a little something to do with Brian's situation. To Bobby's credit, he didn't break down and walk anyone after the misplay and the 2-run homer. With a young guy on the mound, I wouldn't have been surprised to see him get rattled. Way to stay with it Bobby!!!:cool:

Hangar18
04-12-2006, 03:03 PM
I caught the last couple of innings .........what I really liked, was every time
a Foulball went into the seats, the Cameras unexpectedly would pick up the SOX FANS at Comerica. The thome Homer was excellent, SOX FANS hifiving each other, before the camera turned shyly away. Dont listen to the media, SOX FANS are on the road too

infohawk
04-12-2006, 03:08 PM
A little too close for comfort towards the end there, but I'll take it nonetheless.:cool:

Now let's finish off these jagbags tomorrow! :gulp:
I look at sweeping the Tigers as getting us back on track to "win every series." In some way, getting the sweep would make up for only racking up one win against the Royals. I would just kind of "loan" the win to the previous series.:tongue:

Uncle_Patrick
04-12-2006, 03:11 PM
1. You must be psychic because a guy just called in with that exact same statement and Chris quickly dismissed it as WRONG.

Not psychic...heard one the first time after game 2 when a lady wanted to get rid of Anderson and felt the Sox were going to have CF by committee. Funny thing was, Anderson wasn't even playing that day!

infohawk
04-12-2006, 03:12 PM
I think I have developed some sort of allergic condition. Everytime I see or hear BP mentioned, I get stomach burbles. :(: Well, prepare to break out in hives if you haven't seen their latest offering. They discuss the correlation (http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=4965) between attendence at Wrigley and the Cell. The conclusion? Two teams competing in one market would be better off working in tandem to increase ticket sales instead of just competing with one another. In other words, specially offered Sox/Cubs combined season ticket packages.

MarySwiss
04-12-2006, 03:15 PM
Well, prepare to break out in hives if you haven't seen their latest offering. They discuss the correlation (http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=4965) between attendence at Wrigley and the Cell. The conclusion? Two teams competing in one market would be better off working in tandem to increase ticket sales instead of just competing with one another. In other words, specially offered Sox/Cubs combined season ticket packages.

That did it! Thanks, pal! :puking:

Ol' No. 2
04-12-2006, 03:23 PM
Well, prepare to break out in hives if you haven't seen their latest offering. They discuss the correlation (http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=4965) between attendence at Wrigley and the Cell. The conclusion? Two teams competing in one market would be better off working in tandem to increase ticket sales instead of just competing with one another. In other words, specially offered Sox/Cubs combined season ticket packages.Now they're economists. Great. They can be clueless in TWO fields.

SOecks
04-12-2006, 03:24 PM
Now they're economists. Great. They can be clueless in TWO fields.

Hey, if you're going to suck make sure you suck as MUCH AS POSSIBLE right?

PaleHoseGeorge
04-12-2006, 03:32 PM
Now they're economists. Great. They can be clueless in TWO fields.

It's really sad anyone takes their opinion serious about anything.
:o:

You people reading Baseball Prospectus do realize most of the people working there eat macaroni and cheese and live in their parents' basement, don't you?
:?:

IlliniSox4Life
04-12-2006, 03:33 PM
Well, prepare to break out in hives if you haven't seen their latest offering. They discuss the correlation (http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=4965) between attendence at Wrigley and the Cell. The conclusion? Two teams competing in one market would be better off working in tandem to increase ticket sales instead of just competing with one another. In other words, specially offered Sox/Cubs combined season ticket packages. Hahaha, that's unbelievable. I am checking out their math, and it is pretty hilarious. I am not quite sure how they came up with their figures, but they use a 95% confidence interval for everything (which is pretty much standard), and then when they get to the Sox/Cubs stats, they switch to a 90% confidence interval because its not significant at a 95% level. What does that tell you? They are making the statistics fit their argument, not the other way around. They set out to prove something, and did it the standard way, and only when the evidence didnt corelate to their opinion, they lowered the integrity of the tests they did to make it fit. I got a good laugh.

EDIT: Also, I forgot to add. I bet if you checked the correlation between any two teams in different cities, most of them would be positive as well. Their whole "same cities should work together because when one makes more money, they both do, look at our stats to prove it" idea is flawed. Of course they would. In general, there are times when baseball gets more and more popular, and less and less popular. Since the NBA's decline (post Jordan era), baseball has become more and more popular across the country. In times when it becomes less popular (post strike), all teams lose revenue. There should be a positive correlation between most teams.

DumpJerry
04-12-2006, 03:35 PM
I'm getting nervous. I'm sitting with MarySwiss at COTC.

If the sports media did luckiest teams instead of power ratings, the Tribe and Royals would be tied for first. The missed playing the "real" Sox. Our boys are back and they're taking no prisoners!:D:

MarySwiss
04-12-2006, 03:35 PM
It's really sad anyone takes their opinion serious about anything.
:o:

You people reading Baseball Prospectus do realize most of the people working there eat macaroni and cheese and live in their parents' basement, don't you?

I like macaroni and cheese. :redneck

Dan Mega
04-12-2006, 03:37 PM

Is it just me, or has a dark cloud permanently developed around Homefish?:rolleyes:

gobears1987
04-12-2006, 03:46 PM
Who is begining to think that 35-40 HR mark for Thome is just WAY to low. I think this guys natural swing will send balls flying out during the summer.He's going to surpass Belle's mark with the Sox. Who knows, he might get the single season HR record. (He needs 62 HRs for that record.)

WinOrDyeTrying
04-12-2006, 03:48 PM
I caught the last couple of innings .........what I really liked, was every time
a Foulball went into the seats, the Cameras unexpectedly would pick up the SOX FANS at Comerica. The thome Homer was excellent, SOX FANS hifiving each other, before the camera turned shyly away. Dont listen to the media, SOX FANS are on the road too

Did you by anychance see a guy by the third row off the visiting dugout? If he had a leather jacket and a beat up old white sox hat, then it was me.

BTW I met a Sox fan there that seemed like a WSIer. Didnt ask him if he was, though.

MarySwiss
04-12-2006, 03:49 PM
I'm getting nervous. I'm sitting with MarySwiss at COTC.

If the sports media did luckiest teams instead of power ratings, the Tribe and Royals would be tied for first. The missed playing the "real" Sox. Our boys are back and they're taking no prisoners!:D:

Ahhh, you'll be okay--as long as no one mentions BP! :D:

gobears1987
04-12-2006, 03:52 PM
Listening to Farmer, it sounded like Anderson just made a bad break for the ball. It happens. I imagine the post-game show will be loaded with "If Rowand was in centerfield..." -type phone calls, though.All I have to say to those people is big ****ing deal. Who would you rather have on your team? Thome or Rowand? I think it's a clear choice.

Baby Fisk
04-12-2006, 03:55 PM
But isn't that good economics? Imagine how much rent money they are saving! Let's unify the Chicago teams and the new logo could be a Polar Bear.

gobears1987
04-12-2006, 03:55 PM
Is it just me, or has a dark cloud permanently developed around Homefish?:rolleyes:IT developed around him since he signed up here. He was worse last spring. I think it's about time the Mods gave him his own darkcloud thread again.

daveeym
04-12-2006, 03:58 PM

http://www.sportsclotheswear.com/ArtApproval/images/2004_March/homefish.gif
Best Google could do.

Uncle_Patrick
04-12-2006, 03:59 PM
All I have to say to those people is big ****ing deal. Who would you rather have on your team? Thome or Rowand? I think it's a clear choice.

Unfortunately for Anderson, Rowand has taken on near-mythical status with most Sox fans since he was traded. I suspect that, unless Anderson starts pounding the cover off the ball, we will be hearing many of these calls and seeing a few "End the Brian Anderson Experiment" threads anytime the guy messes up a play.

sox1970
04-12-2006, 04:00 PM
Contreras was a stud on the mound today. Very nice to see, Buehrle have a strong performance, backed by Garcia's solid outing, then Jose going 8 strong. Shades of last years key to sauces. Thome just looks plain dangerous in every at bat as well. Good win today!:D: :gulp:

Pile up quality starts = Pile up victories

oeo
04-12-2006, 04:05 PM
Unfortunately for Anderson, Rowand has taken on near-mythical status with most Sox fans since he was traded. I suspect that, unless Anderson starts pounding the cover off the ball, we will be hearing many of these calls and seeing a few "End the Brian Anderson Experiment" threads anytime the guy messes up a play.
Sort of like Crede...just last year we were still hearing about how terrible he is and how we need to find a replacement. Now he's a hero and no one can live without the guy. Give Anderson some time and don't get on his case. Something isn't right mentally right now, he'll snap out of it. Patience could be the key to another star, so just wait it out before you start freaking out.

illinisox1
04-12-2006, 04:07 PM
great win, Jenks is still worrying me a little bit though.......

oeo
04-12-2006, 04:09 PM
great win, Jenks is still worrying me a little bit though.......
Jenks is the least of my worries out of the bullpen. I'm more worried about Politte, Cotts, Thornton, and Logan; Jenks will be fine. I didn't get to see him pitch today, but the way Farmer was talking, the rain was coming down pretty hard and there were even puddles on the warning tracks. The rain cannot help the situation at all...

chisoxfanatic
04-12-2006, 04:17 PM
What a great game by Jose Contreras and Jim Thome. Mercy! THESE are the Sox we know!!!

:bandance::gulp:

MarySwiss
04-12-2006, 04:17 PM

You may be right, but I hope you're not. I'm hoping most Sox fans feel as I do: I love Aaron, think he's a class act, wish him nothing but success, and would love to see him back here someday. However, the Thome acquisition was (obviously) brilliant on KW's part; not just because he's OUR monster, but how would you all feel if he was currently part of the Tigers'--or, God forbid, Indians'--organization? Barring injury, getting Thome was huge, so Aaron had to go.

Let's give Anderson a fair chance. I have a feeling he'll pleasantly surprise us. :smile:

Baby Fisk
04-12-2006, 04:35 PM
Let's give Anderson a fair chance. I have a feeling he'll pleasantly surprise us. :smile:

Agreed. It took Crede, Rowand, etc a long time to come around, much longer than two weeks in April.

Some folks are getting jittery because the Sox haven't burst out of the gate like in 2005. But what is it, five teams in the history of baseball who went wire to wire and won the WS? You may never see the Sox do that again! Last year was great -- it seemed the Sox could do no wrong. It was like a gift from the baseball gods for having suffered so long. Now, I like the notion that the Sox have targets on their backs. Everyone wants a piece of the Sox -- everyone brings their A game against the Sox. Now they've really got to battle and I'm confident that over a six month season, they will again emerge on top.

They've got the horses, they've got the management. Stay cool! Don't go scampering to the ledge after every loss.

GO GO SOX!

Uncle_Patrick
04-12-2006, 04:38 PM
Sort of like Crede...just last year we were still hearing about how terrible he is and how we need to find a replacement. Now he's a hero and no one can live without the guy. Give Anderson some time and don't get on his case. Something isn't right mentally right now, he'll snap out of it. Patience could be the key to another star, so just wait it out before you start freaking out.

The other parallel with Crede was he'd be making solid plays defensively, but he wasn't hitting well. Then he'd make an error, and people would bitch about how much his defense "sucked".

DaleJRFan
04-12-2006, 04:57 PM
The other parallel with Crede was he'd be making solid plays defensively, but he wasn't hitting well. Then he'd make an error, and people would bitch about how much his defense "sucked".

a great point from The Cheat @ southsidesox:

Brian Anderson misplayed a Magglio Ordoneze pop-up off of Bobby Jenks in the ninth. I'm not looking to make excuses for him, but Aaron Rowand had a terrible time reading the ball off the bat when Jenks was on the mound too. Big Fastball + Big Swings = Fooled Centerfielders

Vernam
04-12-2006, 05:02 PM
Agreed. It took Crede, Rowand, etc a long time to come around, much longer than two weeks in April.I wholeheartedly agree with these sentiments but feel obliged to point out that Crede and Rowand had the luxury of learning on the job for second- and third-place teams. The pressure on Anderson is magnified by the Sox' new stature. That's all the more reason to be patient, I think, though ultimately it might be reason for Kenny to show the kid some mercy and give him a break from the glare (either on the bench or in AAA). I hope it doesn't come to that, but it might. So far, Pods' lousy start may be buying Anderson a little time, in some twisted sense.

The big story for me is Contreras, Garcia and Buehrle all being in mid-season form already. (Vasquez is in post-season form!) If Gar shows his stuff tomorrow, look out AL Central!

And oh yeah, Thome isn't bad so far. :redneck

Vernam

esbrechtel
04-12-2006, 05:30 PM
All I have to say to those people is big ****ing deal. Who would you rather have on your team? Thome or Rowand? I think it's a clear choice.

Ha and when making your decision remember that 2 of the 4 runs were thome's doing.....if he wasnt on the team the sox would only have 2 homers.....I loved rowand as much as the next guy...but that trade benefited the sox, so quit complaining

MarySwiss
04-12-2006, 05:41 PM
I wholeheartedly agree with these sentiments but feel obliged to point out that Crede and Rowand had the luxury of learning on the job for second- and third-place teams. The pressure on Anderson is magnified by the Sox' new stature. That's all the more reason to be patient, I think, though ultimately it might be reason for Kenny to show the kid some mercy and give him a break from the glare (either on the bench or in AAA). I hope it doesn't come to that, but it might. So far, Pods' lousy start may be buying Anderson a little time, in some twisted sense.

The big story for me is Contreras, Garcia and Buehrle all being in mid-season form already. (Vasquez is in post-season form!) If Gar shows his stuff tomorrow, look out AL Central!

And oh yeah, Thome isn't bad so far. :redneck

Vernam

Wow, all EXCELLENT points! Thank you, Vernam!

JB98
04-12-2006, 05:50 PM

And of course, Rowand never misjudged a ball in his entire tenure as a member of the Chicago White Sox.

I was really relieved that Jenks recovered from the HR to nail this down. I'm absolutely sick of the A-Row love, and you know what would have happened had we blown this game. We'd have a 400-post thread about how it just isn't the same without good ol' Aaron. Rowand is a decent player who made solid contributions to a championship team, no more, no less. He is not a future All-Star or a HOF'er like some people seem to believe.

Four straight good outings from our starting pitching. That's how it's done. Let's hope Garland keeps it rolling tomorrow.

MERPER
04-12-2006, 05:51 PM
But what is it, five teams in the history of baseball who went wire to wire and won the WS?

Only the 2005 Chicago White Sox and the Murderers Row New York Yankees went wire-to-wire and then SWEPT the WORLD SERIES

When do we start using dominance with 2005 White Sox?:)

Tragg
04-12-2006, 06:04 PM
a great point from The Cheat @ southsidesox:

Brian Anderson misplayed a Magglio Ordoneze pop-up off of Bobby Jenks in the ninth. I'm not looking to make excuses for him, but Aaron Rowand had a terrible time reading the ball off the bat when Jenks was on the mound too. Big Fastball + Big Swings = Fooled Centerfielders

Like the lazy popup in the 9th inning in game 4 v. the Astros.

Bobbo35
04-12-2006, 06:59 PM
Cant wait to see him at The Cell with warm breezes

That is what I am talking about. I want to see him park one on the concourse in right field.

HomeFish
04-12-2006, 07:25 PM
It's always nice to win a series against a team that's ahead of you in the division. It's even better to sweep them. If the Sox show some killer instinct tomorrow, this team might well be back on track.

Jenks does worry me. There is no guarentee that he will have a 3-run lead the next time he decides to give up a 2-run bye-bye. So far, what's happening to him is similar to what happened to Koch in 2004. First, he was closing games fine. Then, he was giving up baseruners and dingers in the 9th, but not enough to blow the large lead he was being handed. Then, he started to blow 1-run leads. Then, he started to blow 3 and 4 run leads. Then it was Shingotime.

That's not a road I want to see Jenks go down.

elrod
04-12-2006, 07:45 PM
Only the 2005 Chicago White Sox and the Murderers Row New York Yankees went wire-to-wire and then SWEPT the WORLD SERIES

When do we start using dominance with 2005 White Sox?:)
The 1990 Reds went wire-to-wire and swept the A's in the World Series.

Realist
04-12-2006, 08:11 PM
Is it just me, or has a dark cloud permanently developed around Homefish?:rolleyes:
Does Homefish proceedeth from the dark cloud (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=48295&highlight=homefish) or have they both been around simultaneously forever?

JB98
04-12-2006, 08:41 PM
It's always nice to win a series against a team that's ahead of you in the division. It's even better to sweep them. If the Sox show some killer instinct tomorrow, this team might well be back on track.

Jenks does worry me. There is no guarentee that he will have a 3-run lead the next time he decides to give up a 2-run bye-bye. So far, what's happening to him is similar to what happened to Koch in 2004. First, he was closing games fine. Then, he was giving up baseruners and dingers in the 9th, but not enough to blow the large lead he was being handed. Then, he started to blow 1-run leads. Then, he started to blow 3 and 4 run leads. Then it was Shingotime.

Unlike Koch and Shingo, Jenks is not walking guys. That's a key difference. I still have faith in Bobby.

Theanticub
04-12-2006, 09:22 PM
win 8, lose 3...rinse repeat hehe. Said this exact thing last season to some friends.

BeviBall!
04-12-2006, 09:29 PM

I haven't seen paranoia of this magnitude since......

http://www.michaeljacksoncatalog.com/somebody's%20watching%20me%20Motown%20ZC%206914%20 Z.jpg

I got a feelin' somebody's watching me!

DickAllen72
04-12-2006, 09:33 PM
Thome Rules! Contreras Rules! :supernana: :supernana:

The gun on TV had Jenks consistently @ 95/96. The ball that Shelton hit for the HR was clocked at 95 on the TV gun, but Hawk said "That one was at 91--a 'get-me-over" fastball. Was Hawk mistaken, or were all those 95/96MPH fastballs on the TV gun really 91/92MPH??? If so, I'd be concerned.

HomeFish
04-12-2006, 10:28 PM
Nice to see Cleveland finally lose a game, BTW. And to the hapless Mariners, no less.

itsnotrequired
04-12-2006, 10:31 PM
It will be nice when this goofy weekday away series is over. Watching the game on the computer (no audio or video) or not watching it at all is for the birds.

Friday can't come fast enough...

Chisox003
04-12-2006, 10:34 PM
Pitching. Is. Contagious.

Hopefully Big Jon catches it tomorrow. We're rollin.

Hitmen77
04-12-2006, 11:03 PM
Only the 2005 Chicago White Sox and the Murderers Row New York Yankees went wire-to-wire, finished with the best record in their league, and then SWEPT the WORLD SERIES.

This is the corrected version and what separates the '05 Sox and the '27 Yanks from every other team ever - including the '90 Reds.

SoLongFrank
04-13-2006, 11:38 AM
Nice to see Cleveland finally lose a game, BTW. And to the hapless Mariners, no less.

I keep telling you their bullpen & 2/5 of their rotation is suspect but ESPN loves them so they must be the best in baseball.

IlliniSox4Life
04-13-2006, 11:44 AM
I keep telling you their bullpen & 2/5 of their rotation is suspect but ESPN loves them so they must be the best in baseball.

:tealpolice: