PDA

View Full Version : Is this why we are not running?

JohnTucker0814
04-12-2006, 01:12 PM
Other than the fact Pods is not getting on base... do you think Thome is giving Guillen reasons not to risk losing a baserunner with him up? Last year with Everett and Dye in the 3 hole... why not take the chance of getting in scoring position...

Any thoughts?

soxfan13
04-12-2006, 01:21 PM
Very interesting theory:smile:

Theanticub
04-12-2006, 01:21 PM
could be...but I think more or less we just haven't had many speedy baserunners on behind thome. Seeing pods hit that double was a nice visual and I think if he's on more...guillen will have more options.

Scottiehaswheels
04-12-2006, 01:36 PM
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060412&content_id=1396420&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

IlliniSox4Life
04-12-2006, 01:47 PM
It might be a possibility, but I think it goes both ways. Having a threat to steal on base like Pods will disrupt the pitcher, giving Thome even better balls to hit. Can you imagine Thome when he's on fire, Pods is getting on base and stealing, and the always dangerous Paulie behind him giving him protection?

DrummerGeorgefan
04-12-2006, 02:34 PM
I agree it is an interesting theory. Looking back last year, Everett was more of a sac fly or single guy to drive in the run. He never had much pop to protect PK. Putting guys in scoring position was important to Everett's style of hitting.

D. TODD
04-12-2006, 02:37 PM
other then Pods we do not have a very good basestealing team. I think Oz may hit & run more, but the straight steals will be less.

soxinem1
04-12-2006, 02:38 PM
It might be a possibility, but I think it goes both ways. Having a threat to steal on base like Pods will disrupt the pitcher, giving Thome even better balls to hit. Can you imagine Thome when he's on fire, Pods is getting on base and stealing, and the always dangerous Paulie behind him giving him protection?

MERCY!!!!!

Ol' No. 2
04-12-2006, 02:38 PM
You can't steal 2nd from the dugout.

RockyMtnSoxFan
04-12-2006, 03:09 PM
Overall I think this team will bear a greater resemblance to the 2000-2004 teams than the 2005 version. Adding Thome changed the team dynamic to more of a station-to-station offense. I think Ozzie realizes that, whether or not he's willing to admit it. He likes to talk about being aggressive on the base paths and playing "smart ball", but he doesn't have the team for it.

Jjav829
04-12-2006, 03:10 PM
Overall I think this team will bear a greater resemblance to the 2000-2004 teams than the 2005 version. Adding Thome changed the team dynamic to more of a station-to-station offense. I think Ozzie realizes that, whether or not he's willing to admit it. He likes to talk about being aggressive on the base paths and playing "smart ball", but he doesn't have the team for it.

Yeah, I miss Everett/Frank and their great baserunning. If there's one thing this team could use right now, it's a few steals from Everett/Frank. Damn Thome and his home runs! Where is our small ball team from last year?

TDog
04-12-2006, 03:32 PM
Yeah, I miss Everett/Frank and their great baserunning. If there's one thing this team could use right now, it's a few steals from Everett/Frank. Damn Thome and his home runs! Where is our small ball team from last year?

I agree with your point. If Pods and Anderson are getting on base the dynamic is no different than last year. Get Uribe on base more and that will help to.

Really, this team is less station to station with Thome than it was with Thomas/Everett -- if people are getting on base -- because Thome is doing more than hitting home runs and can go from first to third on a single. Anderson's slow start has a much bigger impact on that running dynamic than Thome's hitting. Anderson went 2 for 3 on opening night and has only 2 hits since.

There haven't been enough base runners for Ozzie to be waiting for the 3-run homer.

Fuller_Schettman
04-12-2006, 03:35 PM

Well you can, but I think they would just make you give it back...:cool:

miker
04-12-2006, 04:16 PM
Forget small ball...its time for Jim Thome and BIG ball!

JohnTucker0814
04-12-2006, 04:30 PM
I guess it's hard to tell because we haven't gotten on base at the top of the order.... however all I was trying to say is if I'm Guillen and there is 1 out and I have Pods on first... I'm going to think a litter harder about sending Pods to 2nd with the fear that there will now be 2 outs and we've taken a runner off base that Thome can knock in...

Thome is an extra base hitter, Pods scores from first on a double... Why take the risk of stealing unless the pitcher is slow to the plate or there is a terrible catcher....

WSox8404
04-12-2006, 05:02 PM

Yeah. I think Pods has been on base this year a whopping four times. Not too many chances to run.

esbrechtel
04-12-2006, 05:37 PM
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060412&content_id=1396420&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws
took the words right out of my mouth.....

tick53
04-12-2006, 05:51 PM

:rolling:
That's Great!!
Really Funny!!

Mohoney
04-12-2006, 11:45 PM
Can you imagine Thome when he's on fire, Pods is getting on base and stealing, and the always dangerous Paulie behind him giving him protection?

I certainly can imagine it, and I think that the guy who would benefit most from this would be AJ.

If the 1-5 guys do their thing and get on base, then there's no way the opposing pitcher can pitch around AJ.

Good contact hitter + more pitches in the strike zone = .300?

TheOldRoman
04-13-2006, 12:05 AM
What the hell are you talking about? We replaced Rowand and Everett/Thomas. Which one of them was a speed demon? Which one was distracting the pitchers with his uncanny theft skills?

Rowand had decent speed, but he wasn't a great baserunner, let alone a great base stealer. Anderson will do at least as good as Rowand did in that category. Thome is a great hitter. He is a little slower than Everett, but he is a lot faster than Frank. He can go to third on a single or score from first on some doubles. The team hase barely changed in the running aspect. When Scotty regains form, it will be the same as last year.

TheOldRoman
04-13-2006, 12:10 AM
I certainly can imagine it, and I think that the guy who would benefit most from this would be AJ.

If the 1-5 guys do their thing and get on base, then there's no way the opposing pitcher can pitch around AJ.

Good contact hitter + more pitches in the strike zone = .300?
Anything less than .300 would be a huge dissapointment. He was a career .300 hitter in the AL coming into 2005. He had a horrible year as far as I'm concerned last year. I don't care if he hits 5 or 10 homers, I want him to get more hits. We have other guys who can hit homers. I think AJ tried to make up for the team lacking power elsewhere, and his average suffered last year. With Thome swinging a huge stick, we don't need AJ to hit homers.