PDA

View Full Version : 'The Cubs sell-out EVERY game...'

DrCrawdad
04-12-2006, 09:23 AM
The Cubs announced attendance (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/boxscore?gid=260411116) yesterday was 36,708, short by several thousand of a sell-out.

Here are a few comments from Cub fans on yesterdays attendance:

I noticed while I was sitting in the sparse upper deck area that there were large groups of school kids in the far right field corner. This maybe a reason for the strange population arrangement...This was the least attended Cubs game I've been to in quite awhile, strangley enough I was more annoyed. Lots of waving while talking on the cell, yelling at fellow fans in the lower deck, and just in general a very uninterested crowd. Maybe it was just the score, but it was also happening earlier in the game as well.

(Was the game a sell-out?) Not even close. 36k fans, much of upper deck empty. Thought it wouldve been in the lower 30's.

36,708 with the new capacity, is about 4,500 short of a sellout. That's not bad considering it was a Tuesday in April.

The nice weather probably gave them a pretty good walkup sale.

Total in the house looked like about 28,000 or so.

Not bad either considering schools are still in session.

By the candid admissions of Cub fans, the game was NOT sold-out and it wasn't near the announced attendance. So, do you think ANY of the newspapers used their oft used little dig at Sox games of "the announced attendance?" No. Not one of the todays papers mentioned the gap of about 10,000 from the announced to the actual attendance.

Hangar18
04-12-2006, 09:27 AM
The Cubs announced attendance (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/boxscore?gid=260411116) yesterday was 36,708, short by several thousand of a sell-out.

By the candid admissions of Cub fans, the game was NOT sold-out and it wasn't near the announced attendance. So, do you think ANY of the newspapers used their oft used little dig at Sox games of "the announced attendance?" No. Not one of the todays papers mentioned the gap of about 10,000 from the announced to the actual attendance.

Nope. but what you will see in the papers ........... are daily updates on what shenanigans Ligue is up to, how fast Juan Pierre really is, and where Derrek Lee would like to see the World Series Parade Route lead.

Hangar18
04-12-2006, 09:32 AM
that has to be one of the BIGGEST myths in chicago history.
1. The Cubs sell out every game.
the other huge myth?
2. Cub fans are the smartest fans around.
We prove this day after day after day after day after day after day after day after week, after month, after year after year after year.
They are some of the dumbest fans I have ever had the priviledge of meeting.

Another myth debunked, courtesy of wsi

DrCrawdad
04-12-2006, 09:38 AM
Nope. but what you will see in the papers ........... are daily updates on what shenanigans Ligue is up to, how fast Juan Pierre really is, and where Derrek Lee would like to see the World Series Parade Route lead.

I've already seen the "announced attendance" crap in a Cubune recap of a Sox game. Ok, if the Cubune is fair and balanced, then use that same line in your recap of yesterdays Cub game.

LongLiveFisk
04-12-2006, 09:39 AM
I don't know why that means everything to them. To me, it only proves there are more stupid people living in this area.

Cuck the Fubs
04-12-2006, 10:00 AM
I can't believe you guys missed this.....

Those empty seats....they the were simulated attendance at Prior's simulated start:worship: Must worship towel throwing stud........

Layla
04-12-2006, 10:41 AM
I can't believe you guys missed this.....

Those empty seats....they the were simulated attendance at Prior's simulated start:worship: Must worship towel throwing stud........

Simulated attendance at Prior's simulated start?

That's classic.

:smile:

Lip Man 1
04-12-2006, 10:54 AM
If all the tickets are sold and folks don't show up isn't that still regarded as a sell out since the tickey money is already in the bank?

Lip

Layla
04-12-2006, 11:07 AM
If all the tickets are sold and folks don't show up isn't that still regarded as a sell out since the tickey money is already in the bank?

Lip

Yep.

Hangar18
04-12-2006, 12:22 PM

Lip

But heres the funny thing. The Cubs tell you the games are all sold out, how great and loyal the 'fans" are filling the park up day after year, yet they still pump commercials and tell the audience "Still plenty of good seats available for the Reds series, cmon out to beautiful wrigley field!"

I love when the Cubs Scalp their own tickets to the foolish sheep,
then cook the books and say they arent making as much money as people think they are, and that to be competitive and make it to the world series, they will need more of the city property, a hall of fame gift shop, some extra parking $$$$$, a few more rows of bleachers, more nite games, more revenue boards inside the stadium, a brand new gate outside the bleachers, and some tax-incentives.

SouthSide_HitMen
04-12-2006, 12:27 PM

Lip

IIRC, a recently as a decade or two ago, the American League and National League counted attendance slightly differently (I think one league counted actual people through the turnstyle with comps counting and no shows not counting whereas the other counted tickets sold - no shows counted, comps didn't). Lip maybe one of your sports reporter buddies (or someone here like Grobber or another of our knowledgeable fans) can clear things up.

Now tickets sold and comped count toward the total, regardless of whether anyone shows up. The Pepsi Tuesday's - bring a can get a free ticket - bumped the attendance partially to avoid any embarrassment of the taxpayers having to buy tickets due to the agreement with the Illinois Sports Authority if attendance fell below a certain level.

Glad we don't have to worry about that any time soon. :cool:

Max Power
04-12-2006, 12:48 PM
Now tickets sold and comped count toward the total, regardless of whether anyone shows up. The Pepsi Tuesday's - bring a can get a free ticket - bumped the attendance partially to avoid any embarrassment of the taxpayers having to buy tickets due to the agreement with the Illinois Sports Authority if attendance fell below a certain level.

I thought comped tickets didn't count toward the attendance. Comiskey holds like 40,500 these days, but a sellout would be listed around 39,500 because of comped tickets. I was pretty sure that's how it is these days. Or not?

C-Dawg
04-12-2006, 12:51 PM
....how great and loyal the 'fans" are filling the park up day after year...

Yea that's Ron Santo's standard line about all the GREAT fans - but a quick look at the TV in the late innings of a cold April game will reveal that many of those "fans" have already found seats in one of the Wrigleyville bars.

VenturaSoxFan23
04-12-2006, 12:56 PM
If the bleachers are packed, then it's sold-out.

A little "Cubs Math 101" for you.

miker
04-12-2006, 05:21 PM
I'm reporting this as an attendance thread...

HotelWhiteSox
04-12-2006, 05:25 PM
Remember when the big deal was made about their ticket sales after tickets went on sale, like it was a record or something? How much of that total was bought by the Cubs themselves to use for their scalping service?

Hangar18
04-12-2006, 05:29 PM
Remember when the big deal was made about their ticket sales after tickets went on sale, like it was a record or something? How much of that total was bought by the Cubs themselves to use for their scalping service?

BINGO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You sir ............have been elected Post Of The Day (I sound like Mike Murphy dont I?)
the Cubs and Media made a huge deal out of selling 600,000 tickets in one day (probably in response to the White Sox selling the most tickets ever in organization history), yet keep repeating in commercials............that "Good seats are still available for tomorrows game!"
What a Joke

DrCrawdad
04-12-2006, 07:05 PM
The Yahoo Sports boxscore (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/boxscore?gid=260412116) for todays Cubbie game says they had 37,252 in attendance, another non-sellout.

TDog
04-12-2006, 07:36 PM

If a ticket broker buys all the tickets to a game to resell them, the sales would count as at tendance. I am guessing people will see a lot of empty seats that are sold at Sox games this season because brokers aren't able to sell them. It also could be the reason the Cubs attendance is so high even when people see empty seats.

I don't care about attendance. Fans who keep "attendance score" annoy me. Obviously, I want my team to be financially successful enough to put together a team that is successful on the field, but if I were able to go to Sox games, I would like to be able to go to the ballpark and get a ticket at face value. Both Chicago baseball teams used to hold back 20,000 tickets for day-of-game sale so real fans could go to the games.

I could never be a Cubs fan because going I couldn't go to sit in the ballpark with a bunch of drunks -- as if I could go to the park to get a ticket anyway. I worry that the Sox could be moving in that direction as well.

DumpJerry
04-12-2006, 07:57 PM
I was with my cousin, a true blue Cub fan, the other day. I told him I had ST's so, he should come to a game with me. He declined. I told him that I have 100 level seats and that right now you cannot buy 100 level seats this season, it would be 500 level. The conversation then went like this:

Cuz: We'll see how many of those people [who bought tickets] actually show up in June.

Me: What's more important: being the most popular kid in the high school or winning the game? (we're both in our 40's)

Cuz:We'll see how many of those people actually show up in June.

Me: (repeat my initial response). "Look, you can't take away from us what we felt last year. You can say what you want, it won't diminish a thing."

Cuz: Well, after the Cubs win it all this year, you will find out that this is not a Sox town after all, the support for the Cubs will be larger than anything you guys saw last year.

Me: We don't care. We don't like bandwagon-jumpers and you cannot take away what we got last year. We really don't care about the Cubs any more. We have nothing else to prove to Cub fans, we won it all.

Cuz: We'll see how many people......

You get the picture.

mccombe_35
04-12-2006, 08:43 PM
a couple years ago I was at a sold out game at the Cell against Min but the attendance was officially only about 33,000 because the Sox donated something like 4,000 tix to kids......

just thought I'd throw that out there.

C-Dawg
04-12-2006, 08:54 PM
Cuz: Well, after the Cubs win it all this year.

Now that's what I call flimsy logic! :D: :rolleyes: :tongue:

credefan24
04-13-2006, 10:26 AM

Why would Derrek Lee care where the Sox have their parade?! :cool: