PDA

View Full Version : Throwing Towels

roylestillman
04-12-2006, 08:19 AM
Front page: It appears that Prior has graduated to throwing wet towels in the simulated towel game. Oh and the Cubs lost 9-2

SOXPHILE
04-12-2006, 08:51 AM
That picture is hilarious. Why did the Tribune run with this, a large, full color front page photo of Prior....THROWING A TOWEL.:rolling: I know the Big Blue Corporation does everything it can to pimp their lil' ballclub and "gifted" players like Prior and Carrie, but I think they might have sorta shot themselves in the foot here with that pic. It makes them look extremely foolish, right there in living color.

D. TODD
04-12-2006, 08:57 AM
It is great practice for the Cubs. When June comes around and it's time for them to "throw in the towel" they will be well prepared.:tongue:

roylestillman
04-12-2006, 09:05 AM
It is great practice for the Cubs. When June comes around and it's time for them to "throw in the towel" they will be well prepared.:tongue:

Well played.

Layla
04-12-2006, 09:39 AM
Serious question here:

I am truly stumped as to why these people throw towels. I've been a baseball fan for years, and have never heard of this until Prior and Wood.

Can anyone give me an explanation exactly what throwing a towel does?

Steelrod
04-12-2006, 09:45 AM
Should have a towel day, except the fans won't think and throw them on the field, thinking they are trying out for the team!

Steelrod
04-12-2006, 09:45 AM
Serious question here:

I am truly stumped as to why these people throw towels. I've been a baseball fan for years, and have never heard of this until Prior and Wood.

Can anyone give me an explanation exactly what throwing a towel does?
Obviously, it puts you on the DL.

Layla
04-12-2006, 09:51 AM
Seriously, I am at a loss as to why they have these people throw towels. Or sit from the pitchers mound.

Anybody? Or is this one of those unanswerable questions like how the Pyramids were built?

SOXPHILE
04-12-2006, 09:54 AM
Not really sure either. I'm guessing it's used to slowly get a pitchers' mechanics and throwing motion back on track after an injury, without yet putting added stress or injury risk on the arm/shoulder by actually throwing a baseball. But I don't know how much difference it makes. Honestly, the Cubs, in the last few seasons, are the only team I've heard of that does this.

NonetheLoaiza
04-12-2006, 09:56 AM
Steve Stone was on the score last season talking about the same thing, as to why they use towels. He said that there is virtually no added benefit, and that it didn't really make much sense, but some pitching coaches think that it helps, so some of them go with it. But I'll agree with whoever said that it puts you on the DL...I think that is more accurate.

Garland_IS_God
04-12-2006, 11:25 AM
When I went to the Sox game against the Indians I was sitting in the Bullpen Sports Bar and seen numerous Indians pitchers throwing the towel. It must be catching on with a lot of pitching coaches.

Frater Perdurabo
04-12-2006, 11:31 AM
It must be catching on with a lot of pitching coaches.

Throwing in the towel would be appropriate for the pitching coaches for the two teams - Cubs and Indians - who have gone longest without winning a championship!
:supernana:

NonetheLoaiza
04-12-2006, 11:57 AM
Throwing in the towel would be appropriate for the pitching coaches for the two teams - Cubs and Indians - who have gone longest without winning a championship!
:supernana:

Well done, sir.

On a side note, my dad called me earlier today to tell me a quote he saw on ESPN.com from an email. It went something like, 'Cubs fans don't see the glass as half full, or half empty. They see the glass as cracked and leaking, but they keep on refilling it.' I thought it was pretty funny.

SOecks
04-12-2006, 12:01 PM
Since both guys are continually getting themselves hurt, doesn't that give these morons a hint that maybe the towel throwing ISN'T HELPING? Just a thought.:rolleyes:

Reni
04-13-2006, 02:55 PM
anyone have a photo of this online? I never got to see it......I know it will give me a nice hearty laugh.

Layla
04-13-2006, 03:11 PM
I must admit that I cut out this picture.

And gave it to a Cub fan at work with the note "maybe next week he'll be able to throw bath towels."

DumpJerry
04-13-2006, 03:17 PM
I saw the towel throwing last night on CSN. I hope we don't face Prior, that towel dropped like it fell off a table...excellent control and spotting of pitches......:rolleyes:

itsnotrequired
04-13-2006, 03:41 PM
I saw the towel throwing last night on CSN. I hope we don't face Prior, that towel dropped like it fell off a table...excellent control and spotting of pitches......:rolleyes:

His off-speed stuff was devastating. Did you see how the towel wooshed and whirled through the air? It was as if the ghost of Christy Mathewson was haunting the soft terrycloth...

SOecks
04-13-2006, 03:53 PM
His off-speed stuff was devastating. Did you see how the towel wooshed and whirled through the air? It was as if the ghost of Christy Mathewson was haunting the soft terrycloth...

Wait till you see his new knuckler. The towel doesn't move at all. Looks kind of like the flat plane that Superman puts Zod and crew into at the end of the movie. It is sure to mesmerize oppozing batters.

DumpJerry
04-13-2006, 04:01 PM
Marshall Fields is getting a shipment of the latest in Egyptian Cotton towels next week that have been treated with a new type of dye. Word is out that these towels can reduce rehab time by 68.45%.....

SOecks
04-13-2006, 04:23 PM
Marshall Fields is getting a shipment of the latest in Egyptian Cotton towels next week that have been treated with a new type of dye. Word is out that these towels can reduce rehab time by 68.45%.....

Will this special dye make the towels "Wrigley Green"??? We all know that the shrine created its own color :rolleyes:

DumpJerry
04-13-2006, 04:46 PM
Will this special dye make the towels "Wrigley Green"??? We all know that the shrine created its own color :rolleyes:
Well, actually, this special dye is not as good as our special Dye. Prior's special dye will never, ever, be the World Series MVP.

"Wrigley Green" is now officially "Bud Light Blue."

Ol' No. 2
04-13-2006, 04:46 PM
When I went to the Sox game against the Indians I was sitting in the Bullpen Sports Bar and seen numerous Indians pitchers throwing the towel. It must be catching on with a lot of pitching coaches.They were doing it the last series of 2005 in Cleveland, too, but they were on the mound at the time.:cool:

MarySwiss
04-13-2006, 05:09 PM

And gave it to a Cub fan at work with the note "maybe next week he'll be able to throw bath towels."

Now THAT'S funny!! :D:

MarySwiss
04-13-2006, 05:11 PM
They were doing it the last series of 2005 in Cleveland, too, but they were on the mound at the time.:cool:

And THAT'S funny, too!

The thing that always amazes me is that everyone connected with the Cubs just seem to go out of their way to set themselves up to be made fun of. It's a gift!!

DumpJerry
04-13-2006, 05:19 PM
And THAT'S funny, too!

The thing that always amazes me is that everyone connected with the Cubs just seem to go out of their way to set themselves up to be made fun of. It's a gift!!
:santo
You talkin' about me, Mary?
:barney&sham
I know she isn't talking me!
:woo-woo
Mary Woo! Swiss Woo!

RadioheadRocks
04-13-2006, 08:21 PM

Do I detect a promo appearance of Prior and Wood at BED, BATH and BEYOND???!!! :rolling: :roflmao:

itsnotrequired
04-13-2006, 08:38 PM
Do I detect a promo appearance of Prior and Wood at BED, BATH and BEYOND???!!! :rolling: :roflmao:
Oh man, I could see it now:

Wood: The movement when throwing this Egyptian cotton washcloth is amazing.

Prior: Have you see the plushiness of this oversized beach towel? An easy 2 or 3 miles on my fastball when I'm throwing this slice of Heaven here on earth...

roylestillman
04-13-2006, 09:04 PM
Hawk thinks them towels is wound tight this year

cheeses_h_rice
04-13-2006, 09:06 PM
This is the funniest WSI thread of the year so far, hands down.

*****!

Chicken Dinner
04-13-2006, 10:47 PM
Now if we could only figure out why Ozzie likes them towels around his neck.

RedHeadPaleHoser
04-14-2006, 07:42 AM

We should get that pic and make it the Cubune headline post for when the Cubs are mathematically eliminated....on May 19th.

Layla
04-14-2006, 07:35 PM
Now if we could only figure out why Ozzie likes them towels around his neck.

Obviously, someone misinformed Ozzie that a towel is used to soak up perspiration.

SBSoxFan
04-15-2006, 07:55 AM
http://greeneggsandham12.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/towely_sm.jpg

WizardsofOzzie
04-18-2006, 11:55 AM
Anyone else notice that you have to be subscribed to the tribune's website to view the sox photo gallery, but you can view the cubs one for free?