PDA

View Full Version : I may be wrong

Daver
01-21-2002, 03:48 PM
But some of these points were brought up by czal about 6 months ago.

http://www.sportingnews.com/voices/ken_rosenthal/20020121.html

czalgosz
01-21-2002, 06:10 PM
It's a lot like what I suggested, but I still think that revenue sharing money should go to teams that are cash-poor yet committed to winning, like the A's, rather than to teams whose owners apparently just want a tax write-off, like the Twins and D-Rays. Reward the teams who manage their teams well, rather than the teams who are just cheap.

Daver
01-21-2002, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by czalgosz
It's a lot like what I suggested, but I still think that revenue sharing money should go to teams that are cash-poor yet committed to winning, like the A's, rather than to teams whose owners apparently just want a tax write-off, like the Twins and D-Rays. Reward the teams who manage their teams well, rather than the teams who are just cheap.

I think that is the reason behind the minimum salary.

czalgosz
01-21-2002, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by daver

I think that is the reason behind the minimum salary.

Oh, I'm a big fan of the salary floor - don't get me wrong. If the owners would just agree to that on top of what they already have on the table, I think the argument would be over and a new CBA would be signed tomorrow.

But what they've simply got to do is stop owners from using revenue sharing as guaranteed profits. Give revenue sharing as a reward for running a good franchise in a small market - not as a subsidy for cheapness.

At least they've dropped the idea of a salary cap. That would have been a bad idea all around.

ma-gaga
01-22-2002, 09:19 AM
dammit Czalgosz. What are you doing?? Trying to promote competitive balance??!? It's people like you that don't understand the basic concepts of baseball.

Where I like your point of rewarding the teams that attempt to win, it really screws up some teams' "4 year plans". They'll have to change their whole way of thinking.

PaleHoseGeorge
01-22-2002, 12:51 PM
Just a few comments about Rosenthal's ideas...

1. I'm not sure what numbers he's looking at when he suggests the 35 percent luxury tax wasn't a large enough penalty to prevent salary inflation. Perhaps he forgot Alex Rodriguez raked in $252 million immediately AFTER the luxury tax expired. Perhaps he also forgot Barry Bonds got less than $100 million with no luxury tax provisions, too. Rosenthal will need to make a better case for raising the rate if he intends to suggest the old rate didn't work. So far he has proven nothing.

2. Great points about increased revenue sharing and minimum payroll requirement. To my knowledge, nobody has ever opposed such proposals EXCEPT the owners themselves.

3. Marginal changes in the Rule 5 draft hardly seem controversial. Nobody ever got rich financially or successful in the W-L column focusing on these small details. So yeah, sure, why not?

4. His ideas about a worldwide draft are amusing. I can just imagine the expression on a Japanese judge's face as an MLB lawyer makes his case back in Tokyo why the next Ichiro is allowed to negotiate only with the Seattle Mariners, and only the Seattle Mariners. CourTV would love to telecast
that one!

5. Funny, too, how Rosenthal advocates the owners get rid of the compensation draft picks. It's funny because it was at the owners' insistence that the compensation draft was instituted in the first place! Is it any wonder these numbskulls keep losing every labor negotiation. They don't even know what's in their own best interest.