PDA

View Full Version : Hawk on espn1000 this morning

hawkjt
04-11-2006, 12:22 PM
was adamant that the ball is wound tighter than ever hence the early spate of homers.

He said that the workers in the baseball factory wind them tighter earlier in the day and then as the day wears on the stitching grows looser or something like that.

I luv Hawk but he does have some peculiar theories at times. maybe he is right, but I would hope there would be some sort of quality control testing at the factories.

On the other hand Hawk has been around forever and says the speed with which the ball is coming off the bat and the lack of reaction time for Burls and Garland with balls up the middle are telling.

When asked about the high number of homers , Hawk cited the usual; the ball, the parks, weight training, and pitching.

Wasn't that the standard response during the ''steroid era'' of the late 90's ?

I know I was buying it back then, and I think most fans did. So why does the media now say everybody knew it was roids?

I think that is hindsight and belies the fact that it was hard to single out one factor for the homer binge. What are the excuses now? Still rampant steroid use, human growth hormone, or just the other factors.

Looks like the new St Louis park will be like the Reds new park- launching pad.

Albert Pujols will be chasing Bonds and Aaron before we know it.

daveeym
04-11-2006, 12:58 PM
I wouldn't be surprised about the balls. If testing and the spotlight on steroids is having an effect I'm sure they'll combat that in some unmentioned way.

kevingrt
04-11-2006, 01:01 PM
Isn't it weird though that baseballs are still wound by actual people. I would think machines had taken over that job some time ago. Oh well. I was just wondering. It was a good interview though for Silvy and Carmen. I feel I am the only person that enjoys the show though.

bayzbol44
04-11-2006, 01:04 PM
Hawk is God. No one should ever doubt his theories.

Tekijawa
04-11-2006, 01:06 PM

Fisk in Left... 'Nuff Said!

Chicken Dinner
04-11-2006, 01:26 PM
The reason the ball LOOKS faster to him is because he's older and slower now so of course things are going to look faster. If your going 20mph and a car goes by you at 60, it's going to look a lot faster than if you were going 50.

RealMenWearBlack
04-11-2006, 01:41 PM

I know we had a Kenny Williams Chuck Norris joke thread during the offseason. Should we make a new one for Hawk?

SBSoxFan
04-11-2006, 01:45 PM
Isn't it weird though that baseballs are still wound by actual people. I would think machines had taken over that job some time ago. Oh well. I was just wondering. It was a good interview though for Silvy and Carmen. I feel I am the only person that enjoys the show though.
I always thought Silvy and Carmen were the only thing on ESPN1000 worth listening to.

Pike
04-11-2006, 01:50 PM
I always thought Silvy and Carmen were the only thing on ESPN1000 worth listening to.

Never did, and still don't enjoy their show,.. that's why there are more different show on anyway.

Chicken Dinner
04-11-2006, 01:53 PM

The balls are not wound by people they are wound by a machine and then a cover is hand stitched on.

http://www.faqfarm.com/Q/What_is_a_baseball_made_of

SBSoxFan
04-11-2006, 01:57 PM
Never did, and still don't enjoy their show,.. that's why there are more different show on anyway.
I like it because it has more of a local flavor --- two fans talking about local sports. I don't need to here Mike and Mike sitting in CT talking football combines when the MLB season is about to start. And Dan Patrick is about as interesting as watching grass grow, IMO.

DaleJRFan
04-11-2006, 02:01 PM
that's why there are more different show on anyway.

:?: What??

I really like the Carmen and Silvie show. They know their **** and they are entertaining, have fun and are lighthearted about it.

soxfan13
04-11-2006, 02:01 PM
was adamant that the ball is wound tighter than ever hence the early spate of homers.

He said that the workers in the baseball factory wind them tighter earlier in the day and then as the day wears on the stitching grows looser or something like that.

I luv Hawk but he does have some peculiar theories at times. maybe he is right, but I would hope there would be some sort of quality control testing at the factories.

On the other hand Hawk has been around forever and says the speed with which the ball is coming off the bat and the lack of reaction time for Burls and Garland with balls up the middle are telling.

When asked about the high number of homers , Hawk cited the usual; the ball, the parks, weight training, and pitching.

Wasn't that the standard response during the ''steroid era'' of the late 90's ?

I know I was buying it back then, and I think most fans did. So why does the media now say everybody knew it was roids?

I think that is hindsight and belies the fact that it was hard to single out one factor for the homer binge. What are the excuses now? Still rampant steroid use, human growth hormone, or just the other factors.

Looks like the new St Louis park will be like the Reds new park- launching pad.

Albert Pujols will be chasing Bonds and Aaron before we know it.

Actually him an DJ were talking about it Sat or Sun during the game cant remember which game

Realist
04-11-2006, 02:37 PM
I wouldn't be surprised about the balls. If testing and the spotlight on steroids is having an effect I'm sure they'll combat that in some unmentioned way.

I was thinking the same thing.

Cat Thief
04-11-2006, 03:12 PM
The reason the ball LOOKS faster to him is because he's older and slower now so of course things are going to look faster. If your going 20mph and a car goes by you at 60, it's going to look a lot faster than if you were going 50.

:dunno:

INSox56
04-11-2006, 04:37 PM
And Dan Patrick is about as interesting as watching grass grow, IMO.

LOL you couldn't be talking about Dan.......20 seconds of dead air....Patrick...No way...

SBSoxFan
04-11-2006, 04:45 PM
LOL you couldn't be talking about Dan.......20 seconds of dead air....Patrick...No way...
Yeah, someone needs to remind him he's not on TV. Thankfully, I rarely get to listen to daytime talk radio. And now I wonder why I ever do. :dunno:

TomBradley72
04-11-2006, 07:35 PM
Fisk in Left... 'Nuff Said!

But he did eventually correct the error with George Foster.

Bobbo35
04-11-2006, 08:41 PM
I like it because it has more of a local flavor --- two fans talking about local sports. I don't need to here Mike and Mike sitting in CT talking football combines when the MLB season is about to start. And Dan Patrick is about as interesting as watching grass grow, IMO.
Mike and Mike is the only thing I am able to listen too on the way to work and yes, I get sick of hearing meaningless information. Someone needs to get a All White Sox All the Time station going on during the season. That would be great.

SBSoxFan
04-12-2006, 09:44 AM
Someone needs to get a All White Sox All the Time station going on during the season. That would be great.
Yes, that would be great. Even during the offseason it would be great! :D: