PDA

View Full Version : Chicago NewsMedia Watch 4/11/06

Hangar18
04-11-2006, 10:24 AM
The 2005 World Series Champs continue to feel like a stranger in their own city in regards to the media attention theyre receiving/not receiving. Today, the humongous story on the airwaves is the signing of former Marlins gift, and current cub 1b Lee. The cities legitimate star, SOX 1b Jim Thome is credited with a story and hopefully will be able to catch up to the amount of stories cf Juan Pierre already has.

Despite winning the World Series in 2005, and being only the 5th team in mlb history to lead from wire-to-wire, the SOX inexplicably are lagging far behind
in media attention to a team that, last season finished in a hardly remarkable 4th place. To add insult to injury, that same team has dominated media coverage in Chicago, yet since 1950, have only won 90 games THREE TIMES (Sox in the same span? THIRTEEN TIMES!)
Chicago Tribune:
5 cub stories
4 sox stories
Chicago SunTimes:
3 cub stories
4 sox stories

Standings on Tuesday April 11th, 2006
Priviledged, Media-Owned, Media Favored, 4th place in 2005... Cubs 223
Underdog, Media Maligned, Media Ignored, WS Champs in 2005.. SOX 202

Hangar18
04-11-2006, 10:56 AM
Oh, and Mike Downey, just 5 games into the 2006 season, is saying that its time to APPLAUD the Cubs.

After just 5 games.
Hes talking about Pierre and Lee (former marlins only made available as giveaways) and how great they are and how this season is looking very special.
After just 5 games.
Says things are different with the bullpen and things are looking very special.
After just 5 games

Its obvious the Cubs have caught the attention of the Chicago Media being in 3rd place after just 4 games ................

I tried to research and see if the Chicago Media went Hog Wild for the SOX
when we were actually in 1st Place after just 4 games.................
now that theyre in a 3way tie for first after 5 games, I guess it means they should get the mother load of attention. But did we get the same last year? NO.

daveeym
04-11-2006, 10:56 AM
I like how on the trib's online sports page (not chicagosports.com) they have a negative article on Steve Garvey and his debts and its link is included with the Sox stories.

Hangar18
04-11-2006, 11:00 AM
I like how on the trib's online sports page (not chicagosports.com) they have a negative article on Steve Garvey and his debts and its link is included with the Sox stories.

Well, everyone knows only SOX players are just like their fanbase.

0o0o0
04-11-2006, 11:08 AM
I'd say it's time to applaud the Cubs too. Third place for them is very special.

Hangar18
04-11-2006, 11:10 AM
OH, AND we get another "juan pierre" is great in the clubhouse reference ...

Dan Mega
04-11-2006, 11:19 AM
Hangar, I'm surprised that you didn't mention the Mitchell column. He wrote about how the fall of the steroid era would help guys like Griffey Jr. and Thomas get into the hall of fame. Then he goes on a 4 paragraph lovefest for Andre Dawson and how he should be in the hall too.

The biggest part of this article I saw was how he linked steroids to McGwire, Bonds, Palmeiro, and Conseco.

Hmmm, I wonder who he unintentionally left out of that bunch?

Hangar18
04-11-2006, 11:25 AM
Hangar, I'm surprised that you didn't mention the Mitchell column. He wrote about how the fall of the steroid era would help guys like Griffey Jr. and Thomas get into the hall of fame. Then he goes on a 4 paragraph lovefest for Andre Dawson and how he should be in the hall too.

The biggest part of this article I saw was how he linked steroids to McGwire, Bonds, Palmeiro, and Conseco.

Hmmm, I wonder who he unintentionally left out of that bunch?

Good Catch. I missed this article, but from the body of it, this Definitely counts as more Cubpoganda
Cubs 224
SOX 202

Hangar18
04-11-2006, 12:16 PM
With barely 1/32 of the season already in the books, Dave Van Dyke has decided to do his Grading of Players acquired by Jim Hendry in a puff piece
in todays Tribune also.

Mind you .....were only 5 games into the season.