PDA

View Full Version : Cardinals series...

Scottiehaswheels
04-11-2006, 11:04 AM
Just out of curiousity.... Do any of you think the Sox/Cards series this year is gonna take on the love fest type thing that happened when the Scrubs played the Red Cubs a couple years ago or so? I mean we're united by a common enemy and the Larussa angle... Just curious what everyone thought about that series... Larussa got a lot of love at the last SoxFest I was at so I was wondering about that today...

IlliniSox
04-11-2006, 11:19 AM
I'm just not seeing the parallels here.

Scottiehaswheels
04-11-2006, 11:29 AM
I guess that was kind of confusing... I guess I'm just asking that since Scrub fans align themselves with Red Cubs in the AL, and Sox/Cards fans both hate the Scrub fans, are the Cards. for most Sox fans, their NL team of choice if they have one? And if so will this be a bigger series during the week than the World Series rematch on the weekend? Just something I was thinking about today...

MarySwiss
04-11-2006, 12:31 PM
I guess that was kind of confusing... I guess I'm just asking that since Scrub fans align themselves with Red Cubs in the AL, and Sox/Cards fans both hate the Scrub fans, are the Cards. for most Sox fans, their NL team of choice if they have one? And if so will this be a bigger series during the week than the World Series rematch on the weekend? Just something I was thinking about today...

I'm not getting this either. When we play the Cardinals, I'm pretty sure we'll all be rooting for us. Unless you're asking who the Flub fans will be rooting for, which is probably "neither one." Kind of like when the Yanks played the Mets a few years ago; I was hoping someone would figure out a way for both of them to lose. :smile:

FRANK FORT
04-11-2006, 12:36 PM
Sox have already played the Cardinals for interleague in years past. It wasn't that big a deal. The only "love" might be for those who think it a possible World Series match-up preview.

skottyj242
04-11-2006, 12:47 PM
I am going to say no, especially because the series is in the middle of the week with no national presence. However the rematch of the World Series the days after I think are going to be somewhat of a big deal.

CHISOXFAN13
04-11-2006, 12:48 PM
Sox have already played the Cardinals for interleague in years past. It wasn't that big a deal. The only "love" might be for those who think it a possible World Series match-up preview.

Both teams were good the last time St. Louis was here so that storyline probably won't happen.

Reni
04-11-2006, 12:54 PM
I know what the person who started this thread is saying.....I hope it will be a fun series, and I doubt there will be a whole lot of fan animosity.

Cardinals fans defintiely give the White Sox props and yes, the common enemy unites.....

I think each group will be wanting to see their team win, but will keep the banter at a nice decent level. At least I hope so!

Scottiehaswheels
04-11-2006, 12:56 PM
I know what the person who started this thread is saying.....

Thanks... I have foot in mouth syndrome today... 3 hours of sleep will do that to ya... :cool:

Orta 4-6-3
04-11-2006, 02:38 PM
While not a lovefest, I think Sox fans/Cardinal fans relations will be civil, if not cordial. The enemy of my enemy might not be my friend, but perhaps a warm acquaintance.

SOXPHILE
04-11-2006, 03:12 PM
While not a lovefest, I think Sox fans/Cardinal fans relations will be civil, if not cordial. The enemy of my enemy might not be my friend, but perhaps a warm acquaintance.

I agree. Cardinals are my favorite NL team, and in fact, my 2nd favorite team after the White Sox, so I'm looking forward to the games. Of course I'll be rooting for the White Sox, and not happy if they lose. I just won't be as down if the Cardinals win any of the games.

Hangar18
04-11-2006, 03:12 PM
Sox have already played the Cardinals for interleague in years past. It wasn't that big a deal.

The only "love" might be for those who think it a possible World Series match-up preview.

It wasnt that big a deal ....because the MEDIA CHOSE NOT TO MAKE A BIG DEAL OF IT. If you remember, both teams were fighting for first, and alot shouldve/couldve been made of the series. The Media instead were cheering on the cubs to an 88 win season.

The series definitely had a World Series preview matchup to it to SOX fans,
and we defintely wondered how we stacked against them. Again, the Media chose not to make anything of it, instead preferring to talk about how the previous year the 95 loss cubs in 2002 were much stronger that next year

Scottiehaswheels
04-11-2006, 03:18 PM
I guess what got me on this topic was I was watching a ST game at my neighborhood bar with a guy that turned out to be a transplant from St. Louis... He was pretty sure that only Cardinals fans hate the Cubs before he moved here and told me he was surprised by how much Sox fans despise the Cubs. So by association became a Sox fan after he moved here... I guess I was kinda wondering if he is a good example of Cards fans... Do many/most of them realize we share a common annoyance/hatred?

Uncle_Patrick
04-11-2006, 03:32 PM
I guess what got me on this topic was I was watching a ST game at my neighborhood bar with a guy that turned out to be a transplant from St. Louis... He was pretty sure that only Cardinals fans hate the Cubs before he moved here and told me he was surprised by how much Sox fans despise the Cubs. So by association became a Sox fan after he moved here... I guess I was kinda wondering if he is a good example of Cards fans... Do many/most of them realize we share a common annoyance/hatred?

It seems to me, based on what I've read on other message boards, that there are great deal of Cards fans who at least respect the Sox, mostly due to their hatred of Cubs fans.

Reni
04-11-2006, 03:58 PM
I think most are aware.....

When I first started dating my now husband, one of my first questions was, "you're not a Cubs fan are you?" He said, "nope, White Sox"

I knew it would all be okay......

He may have even worn a White Sox cap on our first official date, which was at Busch Stadium.....I don't remember now.

Also, most Cardinals fans are also just flat out die hard baseball fans......a lot of respect for the Sox.

peeonwrigley
04-11-2006, 03:59 PM
It wasnt that big a deal ....because the MEDIA CHOSE NOT TO MAKE A BIG DEAL OF IT. If you remember, both teams were fighting for first, and alot shouldve/couldve been made of the series. The Media instead were cheering on the cubs to an 88 win season.

I still puke in my mouth a little when I hear the Cubs '03 run referred to as "magical."

Uncle_Patrick
04-11-2006, 04:05 PM
Was the Cubs/Red Sox series really a love fest? I know it was for the media and the stupid Cubs fans who think that they and the Red Sox fans have some magical bond, but on the Red Sox side, I've never heard a lot of love for the Cubs. I know that over at Red Sox Nation, they were annoyed that we labeled their team "The Red Cubs" because they didn't see the connection. It always seemed like more a media invention that a lot of Cubs fans bought into (shocking, I know).

rookie
04-11-2006, 08:24 PM
Didn't the media also play it up because the Cubs and Red Sox played in a World Series back in the day?

I'm more excited about the Cardinals match up than the Astros rematch. (Astros = been there, done that). The Cardinals are part of the reason why I got into baseball and I've never met a Cardinals fan I didn't like. When the Astros beat them in the NLCS, one of my Cardinals friends warned me about Astro fans and the buzzing. She also said the Sox should thank Pujols for softening up Lidge.

MikeLove
04-11-2006, 08:58 PM
Nothing will be like the Red Sox / Cubs series last year. It was truely pathetic, one of the sorriest things ive ever seen. And yes it was a total love fest. Business around wrigley putting up "Welcome Red Sox Nation" and all that.

MarySwiss
04-11-2006, 08:59 PM
Didn't the media also play it up because the Cubs and Red Sox played in a World Series back in the day?

I'm more excited about the Cardinals match up than the Astros rematch. (Astros = been there, done that). The Cardinals are part of the reason why I got into baseball and I've never met a Cardinals fan I didn't like. When the Astros beat them in the NLCS, one of my Cardinals friends warned me about Astro fans and the buzzing. She also said the Sox should thank Pujols for softening up Lidge.

She may have a point. I too have never met an obnoxious Cards fan (although I am sure there are some). And I have never lost my respect for Tony LaRussa. The only time I root against the Cards is when they are playing the Sox.