PDA

View Full Version : Tigers all roar, no bite

WinOrDyeTrying
04-11-2006, 05:26 AM
Yesterday I was watching the Tigers post game show and, once again, they are talking ****. Joel Zumaya, the reliever that gave up the solo shot from Konerko, said that he "left a fast ball in the middle", and that next time Konerko is up to bat, he said "I'm gunna get him. I'm gunna get him". Also, Brandon Inge, the Tigers 3rd basemen, said "They are a good team, and so are we. We might be better, to be honest with you".

Good to know things don't change much from last year. Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Dimitri Young say that the devision will be between the Tigers and Twins?

Wild
04-11-2006, 05:28 AM
but didn't Dimitri Young say that the devision will be between the Tigers and Twins?

It was between the Tigers and Indians that Young said.

Corlose 15
04-11-2006, 07:53 AM
Was Craig Monroe talking **** last year too about how the Tigers were better than the Sox? Or they were more talented or something like that?

HotelWhiteSox
04-11-2006, 08:18 AM
Was Craig Monroe talking **** last year too about how the Tigers were better than the Sox? Or they were more talented or something like that?

According to Silvy and Carmen (radio) yesterday, last year after being swept, Monroe said he 'still didn't think the Sox were that good' :rolleyes:

fusillirob1983
04-11-2006, 08:45 AM
I guess the Sox had to beat the Tigers every time they played rather than just 14 of 19.

scottjanssens
04-11-2006, 09:22 AM
Don't get cocky. The Tigers are a good team.

CaptainBallz
04-11-2006, 09:33 AM
Don't get cocky. The Tigers are a good team.

I think the point is that they should shut up and prove it.

batmanZoSo
04-11-2006, 09:58 AM
I don't get how these supposed up and coming teams just annoint themselves "better" or "more talented." Yet we keep beating the crap out of them every year. :?:

ohiosoxfan12
04-11-2006, 10:14 AM
Bottom line is that the tigers can be a good team, but never play to potiential. But no way a better team than the white sox. I remember last year Young hit like 3 homeruns in one game, then like 15 more the rest of the year. Sox will beat Tigers at least three out of every four games they play.:D:

0o0o0
04-11-2006, 10:24 AM
Joel Zumaya, the reliever that gave up the solo shot from Konerko, said that he "left a fast ball in the middle", and that next time Konerko is up to bat, he said "I'm gunna get him. I'm gunna get him".
What do you want him to say? "There's a good chance he'll hit me again. I'm not very good. Why am I even on this team?" That's not talking ****.

mikeybooyah
04-11-2006, 10:28 AM
could it be time for another one of these:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/baseball/mlb/news/2000/04/27/fight_suspensions_ap/lg_graphic.jpg

soxfan13
04-11-2006, 10:28 AM
Its very easy for any team to talk smack when they have a better record then the team they are talking about. Lets see in June, July, August how the records compare not just after the first week when the Detroit offense has been hotter then hell

soxfan13
04-11-2006, 10:29 AM

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/baseball/mlb/news/2000/04/27/fight_suspensions_ap/lg_graphic.jpg

I hope not

skobabe8
04-11-2006, 10:36 AM
I hope not

I hope not either. I can't imagine being without Manuel, Maggs, Parque and Howry.

Uncle_Patrick
04-11-2006, 10:38 AM
Yesterday I was watching the Tigers post game show and, once again, they are talking ****. Joel Zumaya, the reliever that gave up the solo shot from Konerko, said that he "left a fast ball in the middle", and that next time Konerko is up to bat, he said "I'm gunna get him. I'm gunna get him". Also, Brandon Inge, the Tigers 3rd basemen, said "They are a good team, and so are we. We might be better, to be honest with you".

Whatever, unless they can prove it on the field, its all hot air. I think its important for a team to believe in themselves, so I have no problem with these Tigers guys thinking that they are better or that next time they're gonna get the Sox. I have a bigger problem when they show no respect and say stuff like the Sox don't matter or "Well, we're still better than them" after they lose.

gosox3072
04-11-2006, 11:00 AM

Personally id like to see Thome beat the crap out of craig monroe!:smile:

SOXBOY
04-11-2006, 11:21 AM
The tigers can say they are the better team but who has the ring.

Baby Fisk
04-11-2006, 11:30 AM
As my friend the Tiger fan put it: "Don't worry. It's Detroit, and it's early."

Dick Allen
04-11-2006, 11:44 AM
What do you want him to say? "There's a good chance he'll hit me again. I'm not very good. Why am I even on this team?" That's not talking ****.How about he just shuts his big yap and try to let his actions on the field do his talking?

Dick Allen
04-11-2006, 11:46 AM
Don't get cocky. The Tigers are a good team.Where did they finish in the standings last year? How early is it this year? Maybe they shouldn't get so cocky and keep their mouths shut until they actually accomplish something.

0o0o0
04-11-2006, 11:53 AM
How about he just shuts his big yap and try to let his actions on the field do his talking?
Were you saying the same thing when Buehrle said he doesn't think Cleveland is gonna be as good this year or when Paulie said "We're going to win this division"?
When the Sox say it, it's confidence...when opposing teams say it, it's trash talking?

Dick Allen
04-11-2006, 11:57 AM
Were you saying the same thing when Buehrle said he doesn't think Cleveland is gonna be as good this year or when Paulie said "We're going to win this division"?
When the Sox say it, it's confidence...when opposing teams say it, it's trash talking?Maybe you just should check out their World Series rings. I'd say they've earned the right to talk smack, though that wouldn't be my choice of how to do things. I wish they'd all just do their talking on the field.

Scottiehaswheels
04-11-2006, 12:03 PM
I wish they'd all just do their talking on the field.
And puking in the bathroom year after year... in reference to Hafner

scottjanssens
04-11-2006, 12:22 PM
Where did they finish in the standings last year? How early is it this year? Maybe they shouldn't get so cocky and keep their mouths shut until they actually accomplish something.

The last thing Sox fans should sound like are Yankee fans bragging about past championships.

Sure it's early. But it's not like the Sox pounded them into submission yesterday. All I'm saying is Detroit is a good team and healthy this year and shouldn't be dismissed.

But then I suppose acknowledging that a team other than the Sox might actually be good ventures too close to dark cloud territory.

Dick Allen
04-11-2006, 12:25 PM
The last thing Sox fans should sound like are Yankee fans bragging about past championships.

Sure it's early. But it's not like the Sox pounded them into submission yesterday. All I'm saying is Detroit is a good team and healthy this year and shouldn't be dismissed.

But then I suppose acknowledging that a team other than the Sox might actually be good ventures too close to dark cloud territory.I don't think anybody is dismissing the Tigers. My point is that ballplayers should keep their mouths shut and let their actions on the field do the talking, including the Sox.

HomeFish
04-11-2006, 12:44 PM
Guys,

The Tigers are in first place. The Sox are tied for third with Kansas City, and would be in 4th place due to h2h (iirc) if the season ended today. Some of you seem to be forgetting this.

chisoxfanatic
04-11-2006, 12:49 PM
Guys,

The Tigers are in first place. The Sox are tied for third with Kansas City, and would be in 4th place due to h2h (iirc) if the season ended today. Some of you seem to be forgetting this.

GO HOME!!!

IlliniSox4Life
04-11-2006, 12:52 PM
Guys,

The season doesn't end today.

0o0o0
04-11-2006, 12:54 PM
Guys,

Hahaha what? And if the season ended today, Chris Shelton would be batting like .600

Go fishing

Corlose 15
04-11-2006, 12:56 PM
Guys,

What's your point? Its April 11th. If the standings are the same in october, then you can make that point but right now its one of the dumbest things I've heard on this board.

bigdommer
04-11-2006, 01:11 PM
Guys,

They're ending the season today? Is there a strike?

Baby Fisk
04-11-2006, 01:12 PM
Guys,

http://www.sportalicious.com/Images/chirac_surrender2.jpg
"Mes amis, eet ees cleer we cannot catch les Tigres."

HomeFish
04-11-2006, 01:13 PM
Naturally, the season isn't over, nor will it be for some time. I never made that claim. I am constantly amazed at how much my posts are taken out of context on this forum, how often words are put into my mouth, etc.

What I am saying, however, is that we are in no position to talk smack about the Tigers, whereas they are in some position to talk smack about us. Of course, given how transitory April division leads can be, that might not be such a good idea for them, but they have a much better claim to the right to do so than do we.

chisoxfanatic
04-11-2006, 01:15 PM
Naturally, the season isn't over, nor will it be for some time. I never made that claim.

What I am saying, however, is that we are in no position to talk smack about the Tigers, whereas they are in some position to talk smack about us. Of course, given how transitory April division leads can be, that might not be such a good idea for them, but they have a much better claim to the right to do so than do we.

Are the Tigers the defending champs???

HomeFish
04-11-2006, 01:16 PM
Are the Tigers the defending champs???

Last year's World Series champions don't get any extra wins in the current season.

chisoxfanatic
04-11-2006, 01:20 PM
Last year's World Series champions don't get any extra wins in the current season.

For the 2nd time, GO HOME!

IlliniSox4Life
04-11-2006, 01:22 PM

No, but the fact that they won the world series last year gives them a lot more reason to brag than the Tigers being 2 games up on the Sox 7 games into the season.

DaveIsHere
04-11-2006, 01:23 PM

The Cloud of Clouds once again has reappeared. SHEESH!!!

Realist
04-11-2006, 01:33 PM
The Tigers are a damn good baseball team this year and I'm glad that they're flapping at the jaws with confidense. Hopefully it will gear the Sox up for the games against them and give us a little bit of an edge.

I've been saying since before the season started that I fear the Tigers more than the Indians. The Tigers sorta remind of another under the radar team from last year. I think 2006 is gonna end up like this...

White Sox
Tigers
Indians
Twins
RoyalsI wouldn't be shocked if the Twins and Royals were flip flopped at the end of the season.

patbooyah
04-11-2006, 01:36 PM
Guys,

yeah, but if the season had ended last sunday the sox would have been in first place and led the league in wins, era, runs scored, etc etc.

what a terrible point.

StockdaleForVeep
04-11-2006, 01:47 PM
Despite other teams talking ****, we are doin no better by talking **** about the **** they are talking about. As ozzie has said "we won last year, its over" this year means new slate. Untill we win the division, we're in no position to talk anything. The season is only a week old, i bet tampa is even talkin about how they can win the division

CaptainBallz
04-11-2006, 02:00 PM
Guys,

OMFG! Are you for real??

ohiosoxfan12
04-11-2006, 02:08 PM
Homefish,
Who's side are you on? I'm sure that the tigers might have a fan club too, if you want to join that one.

McCuddy
04-11-2006, 02:11 PM
we are in no position to talk smack about the Tigers, whereas they are in some position to talk smack about us.

Aside from them having not beaten us this year, sure. :mad:

Corlose 15
04-11-2006, 02:14 PM
The Tigers are a damn good baseball team this year and I'm glad that they're flapping at the jaws with confidense. Hopefully it will gear the Sox up for the games against them and give us a little bit of an edge.

I've been saying since before the season started that I fear the Tigers more than the Indians. The Tigers sorta remind of another under the radar team from last year. I think 2006 is gonna end up like this...

White Sox
Tigers
Indians
Twins
RoyalsI wouldn't be shocked if the Twins and Royals were flip flopped at the end of the season.

I wouln't go that far Realist, the Tigers are improved but in no way are they damn good. Robertson and Maroth are still average at best at the back end of the rotation and Verlander has all of 4 major league starts. Granted he's had a lot of minor league success but he's not a given. The bullpen is still pretty weak and they're relying a lot on Todd Jones. Zumaya has a live arm but is a rookie.

The lineup is very good but they didn't execute much last year. Leyland should help with that. If Verlander, Zumaya, and Tata pan out the Tigers could be very good in a couple years, but it won't be this year.

Realist
04-11-2006, 02:22 PM
I wouln't go that far Realist, the Tigers are improved but in no way are they damn good. Robertson and Maroth are still average at best at the back end of the rotation and Verlander has all of 4 major league starts. Granted he's had a lot of minor league success but he's not a given. The bullpen is still pretty weak and they're relying a lot on Todd Jones. Zumaya has a live arm but is a rookie.

The lineup is very good but they didn't execute much last year. Leyland should help with that. If Verlander, Zumaya, and Tata pan out the Tigers could be very good in a couple years, but it won't be this year.

I wouldn't go that far Realist, the White Sox are improved but in no way are they damn good. Garland and Contreras are still average at best at the back end of the rotation and McCarthy has all of 0 major league starts. Granted he's had a lot of minor league success but he's not a given. The bullpen is still pretty weak and they're relying a lot on Shingo. Jenks has a live arm but is a rookie.

The lineup is very good but they didn't execute much last year. Ozzie should help with that. If Garland and Contreras pan out the Tigers could be very good in a couple years, but it won't be this year.

It's eerie, I tell ya. :smile:

Ol' No. 2
04-11-2006, 02:23 PM
Guys,

The Tigers are in first place. The Sox are tied for third with Kansas City, and would be in 4th place due to h2h (iirc) if the season ended today. Some of you seem to be forgetting this.This stuff just isn't the same without a graph.

RKMeibalane
04-11-2006, 02:32 PM
Guys,

It looks like HomeFish has rounded back into form. Or, perhaps I should have said stormed back into form.

HebrewHammer
04-11-2006, 04:27 PM
It looks like HomeFish has rounded back into form. Or, perhaps I should have said stormed back into form.

Not even two weeks into the season and he's dark clouding like an all-star.

santo=dorf
04-11-2006, 04:31 PM
Guys,

:troll

How are your division champion Twins doing? :dtroll:

The Tigers are 1-2 against MLB pitching.

MikeLove
04-11-2006, 05:39 PM
you guys are rediculous. Is this a place to discuss white sox baseball, or is it a cheerleading forum??? Anyways, Pauly just came out and said after a L that the sox are going to win the division. That is the same as any other team talking scrap. Why shouldnt the tigers think they are better than the Sox? They've played one game THIS year, it isnt like we're 17-0 against them so far and they are still saying they are better. I dont agree with the Tigers, but I dont think they are out of line yet with saying how they think they are good.

You can't use winning the World Series last year as the end all be all, in your argument on why you think the Sox are better. If that was the case then the team that won the Series would always be the best team the following year.......

MUsoxfan
04-11-2006, 05:43 PM
You can't use winning the World Series last year as the end all be all, in your argument on why you think the Sox are better. If that was the case then the team that won the Series would always be the best team the following year.......

The defending champs are always the best team the following year....until proven otherwise

MikeLove
04-11-2006, 05:46 PM
So when were the Sox the best team in baseball last year? Never?

MUsoxfan
04-11-2006, 05:49 PM

After a good couple months into the season. It's hard to gauge the caliber of a team a week or 3 into the season. Do we all remember the Dodgers of '05?

MikeLove
04-11-2006, 05:54 PM
exactly, thats why I don't think it is completely out of line for *insert team name here* to say that they believe they are a good team.

IlliniSox4Life
04-11-2006, 05:54 PM

Are you serious? At the very least, the World Series. The point is, last year, the Sox proved they were the best team. Whether you want to accept that by their AL best 99 wins or their winning the world series. Currently, nobody has proved to be better than the White Sox, they couldn't have. It's only 7 games into the season. The White Sox have certainly not gotten any worse than they were last year, so you can't say that anyone else is better yet. While having last years trophy wont be the end all argument all season, it will be until someone else proves to be better, and that can't happen for a while.

MUsoxfan
04-11-2006, 05:56 PM
exactly, thats why I don't think it is completely out of line for *insert team name here* to say that they believe they are a good team.

There's a difference between believing you're a good team and believing you're better than the World Champs

Bobbo35
04-11-2006, 08:18 PM
Guys,

Forgetting what?

Erik The Red
04-11-2006, 08:31 PM
I wouldn't go that far Realist, the White Sox are improved but in no way are they damn good. Garland and Contreras are still average at best at the back end of the rotation and McCarthy has all of 0 major league starts. Granted he's had a lot of minor league success but he's not a given. The bullpen is still pretty weak and they're relying a lot on Shingo. Jenks has a live arm but is a rookie.

The lineup is very good but they didn't execute much last year. Ozzie should help with that. If Garland and Contreras pan out the Tigers could be very good in a couple years, but it won't be this year.

It's eerie, I tell ya. :smile: Yes, very eerie... I thought all those people played for the Sox! :redface:

guillen4life13
04-11-2006, 09:10 PM
Jeez.

Let the Tigers talk all they want. They're young, motivated players and have the right to say what they want.

And think of it this way: It will just feel so much better when the Sox beat them, right?

Then when they come to Comiskey, they can be jeered to high hell and wouldn't be able to rationally defend themselves.

Why don't we do it like this? See the humor in the situation instead of getting so riled up.

Oh, and I see nothing wrong with the dude saying "I'll get him." To me, it's like saying, "I'll do better next time." That's perfectly legit for me, and I'd frankly be a little worried if someone on my team didn't have that type of attitude.

Norberto7
04-11-2006, 09:26 PM

It's eerie, I tell ya. :smile:
Please. The Tigers are not a "damn good baseball team". A little math...

Mark Buerhle > Kenny Rogers
Freddy Garcia > Jeremy Bonderman
Jose Contreras > Mike Maroth
Javier Vazquez > Nate Robertson
Jon Garland > Justin Verlander

Which means....the Tigers will still be an average third place team, at best.

dcb56
04-11-2006, 09:51 PM
This stuff just isn't the same without a graph.

Does this help make things a bit more clear? :redneck

Looks like tomorrow is a must-win game!