PDA

View Full Version : Big Possible Trade

Spiff
01-21-2002, 03:47 PM
From espn.com

The Mets, Rockies and Brewers are close to agreeing to a three-way, 10-player deal that would send outfielders Burnitz and Mark Sweeney, pitchers Jeff D'Amico and Craig House and utilityman Lou Collier to New York, third baseman Todd Zeile and outfielder Benny Agbayani to Colorado and outfielder Alex Ochoa, pitcher Glendon Rusch and third baseman Lenny Harris to Milwaukee. The Mets would pick up $3.5 million of Zeile's $6.25 million contract. The Mets and the Brewers reportedly have signed off on the deal, which still needs approval from Rockies management. If it goes through, Colorado would move Zeile back to third base, a position he played regularly before signing with the Mets prior to the 2000 season.

Spiff
01-21-2002, 03:50 PM
Sounds like the Brewers are getting shafted. And a New York team is getting richer. It is just unbelievable that teams agree to this stuff.

MattSharp
01-21-2002, 04:16 PM
I agree that the Mets are getting richer. Burnitz is surely an upgrade over Agbayani and IMO Sweeney is an upgrade over Ochoa on the bench. If D'Amico is healthy, he is a better pitcher than Rusch on Rusch's best day. Plus the Mets get rid of Zeile and part of his salary. This is a huge boost for the Mets and this move should give them the NL East title.

Daver
01-21-2002, 07:41 PM
According to this it's a done deal.

http://www.sportsline.com/

AsInWreck
01-21-2002, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by MattSharp
This is a huge boost for the Mets and this move should give them the NL East title. [/B]

This move won't give the Mets the East, the most victories will-not everything that looks good on paper translates to actual success-just ask the red sox and dodgers-besides atlanta is still going to be tough to beat especially w/ sheffield in the lineup now

czalgosz
01-21-2002, 08:36 PM
It seems as if every transaction this off-season is designed to prove what Selig has been saying - that only the New York teams can possibly compete. Milwaukee giving up that much talent and getting basically nothing in return is a travesty.

If I was commissioner, I would nullify that trade; no one should be allowed to be that stupid.

Viva Magglio
01-21-2002, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by czalgosz
It seems as if every transaction this off-season is designed to prove what Selig has been saying - that only the New York teams can possibly compete. Milwaukee giving up that much talent and getting basically nothing in return is a travesty.

If I was commissioner, I would nullify that trade; no one should be allowed to be that stupid.

:tool
There is no stupid cap in baseball.

AsInWreck
01-21-2002, 08:40 PM
It seems as if every transaction this off-season is designed to prove what Selig has been saying - that only the New York teams can possibly compete.

I hear ya there,czalsgy- but the brewcrew is getting lenny harris, don't forget that- that guy's a solid .230 hitter if i ever saw one-and in the prime of his career, too!

Daver
01-21-2002, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by AsInWreck

I hear ya there,czalsgy- but the brewcrew is getting lenny harris, don't forget that- that guy's a solid .230 hitter if i ever saw one-and in the prime of his career, too!

I,uh uh,I mean Wendy acted with integrity here.There is nothing wrong with this trade.

AsInWreck
01-21-2002, 08:58 PM
On 2nd thought this trade might not be so bad for the brewers after all-there giving up basically d'amico and burnitz-d'amico showedhe could be good, but is extremely brittle- burnitz is a good power hitter, but is due some 13 million next year
which is a bit much for a .250-.270 30 hr type of guy who strikes out 150+ times and isn't exactly ichiro in the of/in return they get ochoa who is a year removed from back-back .300 seasons, and the brewers were defintely looking for that type of guy who gets on base and doesn't strikeout, if he returns to form remains to be seen, and they get rusch who looks like they can at least expect 30 starts, which is more than they can say for d'amico-this deal won't be so bad if they use the money they'll save from burnitz to improve-they also get lenny who is a versatile bench player--but if i owned the brewers i definately wouldn't want to be the one paying burnitz that kind of money, either

duke of dorwood
01-21-2002, 11:06 PM
How about a trading deadline for New York teams? Like now? Let's stop the fleecing.

Daver
01-21-2002, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
How about a trading deadline for New York teams? Like now? Let's stop the fleecing.

I fail to understand exactly what your point is,could I interest you in a Chrysler?

kermittheefrog
01-21-2002, 11:24 PM
What are the chances D'Amico will be healthy enough to make the Brew Crew miss him? Rusch is a pretty good young pitcher that will look good combined with the Brewers flock of young arms. It looks like they'll have a solid rotation next year, Sheets, Rusch, Wright, Quevedo and Neugebauer. I'm almost a little jealous with arms like Sheets and Nuegebauer, they just need to put together some kind of offense. Eric Young isn't really an answer.

czalgosz
01-22-2002, 12:04 PM
Well, Rob Neyer agrees with you...

http://espn.go.com/mlb/columns/neyer_rob/42798.html

He doesn't even think that D'Amico will figure in at all.

kermittheefrog
01-22-2002, 06:11 PM

I really don't think he will either. Between the severity of his last injury and how often he gets injured I'd say D'Amico will never be anything again.

czalgosz
01-22-2002, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog

I really don't think he will either. Between the severity of his last injury and how often he gets injured I'd say D'Amico will never be anything again.

That's a shame. It's a rarity these days to see an outstanding young pitcher like that. It would be a shame to see his career over after 1/2 season like that.

Spiff
01-22-2002, 06:22 PM

That's what they said about Kordell!