PDA

View Full Version : Rooney still showing the love in St Louis

stl_sox_fan
04-10-2006, 08:20 PM
I'm starting to hear a pattern with St Louis Cardinals broadcasts. John Rooney finds a way to make a White Sox reference almost daily in his broadcasts.

St Louis vs. Philly - Kept mentioning the trade that brought Rowand to Philadelphia and Thome to Chicago

St Louis vs Cubs - Mentioned that Bobby Howry is a pitcher that had the chance to pitch for both Chicago clubs

St Louis vs Milwaukee - Everytime El Caballo was at bat or caught a fly ball, he mentioned the win win trade for Podsednik.

Never forgetting your one true love.....priceless.

http://images.stltoday.com/stltoday/resources/johnrooneybig1110.jpg

Erik The Red
04-10-2006, 09:11 PM
I thought his one true love was St. Louis, which is why he's there now.

Revolution29
04-10-2006, 09:15 PM
I thought his one true love was St. Louis, which is why he's there now.

I thought that it was more like, he would have stayed in Chicago if the Score hadn't tried to stiff him on a new contract. St. Louis was always a place that he would have wanted to broadcast at, and they took full advantage of the situation.

We get Chris Singleton. How wonderful.

stl_sox_fan
04-10-2006, 09:18 PM
Never forgetting your one true love.....priceless.

I like my kool aid better.....

Erik The Red
04-10-2006, 09:49 PM
I thought that it was more like, he would have stayed in Chicago if the Score hadn't tried to stiff him on a new contract. St. Louis was always a place that he would have wanted to broadcast at, and they took full advantage of the situation.

We get Chris Singleton. How wonderful.
He wanted to go to St. Louis a couple years ago and the Sox wouldn't let him out of his contract. Trust me, he wanted to be broadcasting for his hometown team, and he took the opportunity when it was offered. Even if the Sox had offered him more money, I'm sure he'd be in St. Louis right now.

I for one am glad that he's doing what makes him happy.

kevingrt
04-10-2006, 09:53 PM
Well hope he's happy, now he gets to broadcast with the greatest Mike Shannon :rolleyes:

Erik The Red
04-10-2006, 09:57 PM
Well hope he's happy, now he gets to broadcast with the greatest Mike Shannon :rolleyes:
:tealpolice:

Revolution29
04-10-2006, 11:24 PM
He wanted to go to St. Louis a couple years ago and the Sox wouldn't let him out of his contract. Trust me, he wanted to be broadcasting for his hometown team, and he took the opportunity when it was offered. Even if the Sox had offered him more money, I'm sure he'd be in St. Louis right now.

Fair enough, I didn't know about the thing two years ago, and that definitely changes things.

I still think that it's an embarrassment on the part of the Score not to at least offer him good money. Sure, he still and likely might have taken less, but for all that he's meant to this city and this team, he deserved some respect.

Here's to Rooney, a real class act who is obviously missed by us all. :gulp:

SouthSide_HitMen
04-11-2006, 01:34 AM

While I enjoyed Rooney's broadcasts I am only concerned about another St. Louis hometown boy leaving the White Sox.

:burly

SOXintheBURGH
04-11-2006, 01:42 AM
Rooney "paid his dues" working for a team like the White Sox. He went out on a high note and is fullfilling his dream. That is the American Dream, and it makes me like him even more. He didn't sign as a free agent or get traded. We miss you, and I hope them Missoura fans give you the respect you have both earned and deserved. I always had a leaning towards the Cards my entire baseball fandom, but now its huge (is it odd that I root for every team in the NL Central but the Cubs and Reds? I like the Cards, Bucs, Brewers, and Stroh's a whole lot.. I liked the Astros a lot for a long time and was kinda sad that we had to beat up on them for our glory).

I'm only 24 years old, I am no old timer around these parts, but nonetheless, every White Sox victory will always be:

:winner

stl_sox_fan
04-11-2006, 06:45 AM
While I enjoyed Rooney's broadcasts I am only concerned about another St. Louis hometown boy leaving the White Sox.

:burly

I'll personally drive out to St Charles and make him an offer he can't refuse is he decides to leave...

http://apedradeseila.palcomp3.cifraclub.terra.com.br/fotos/3286_1104759672.jpg

California Sox
04-11-2006, 09:52 AM
Buerhle doesn't want to leave. The question is, now that we have locked up four other pitchers (and you could argue four lesser pitchers) will the Sox be willing to pony up the money? McCarthy's going to be a stud and he's got a couple cheap years left. Not necessarily cost effective to waste those cheap years in middle relief. I think Kenny knows this. He'll be getting rid of somebody. I just hope it's not Buerhle.

Hangar18
04-11-2006, 10:46 AM
Hey, he was here for 18 years ................ he definitely has a soft spot for the SOX, and got to broadcast a Championship.

ewokpelts
04-11-2006, 11:16 AM
Rooney's in a business. Same as Dave Wills. They both have to look out for thier families. As much as it sucks that they're gone, they're both doing what they want to be doing, and are getting paid.
Gene

Trav
04-11-2006, 11:24 AM

When was this and what was the situation? Is there an article or anything? It seems that some have decided that Rooney leaving was all his idea but I think that it was mutual at best. At worst, the score or the Sox or both wanted to go cheap.

stl_sox_fan
04-11-2006, 11:36 AM
When was this and what was the situation? Is there an article or anything? It seems that some have decided that Rooney leaving was all his idea but I think that it was mutual at best. At worst, the score or the Sox or both wanted to go cheap.

Being transplanted away from Chicago I didn't know the "behind the scenes" of Rooney leaving Chicago. I have to tell ya, it's very surreal listening to him broadcast. I'll be the first to call into his show and cry foul if he utters "And that's a Cardinals winner!!"

ewokpelts
04-11-2006, 11:44 AM
When was this and what was the situation? Is there an article or anything? It seems that some have decided that Rooney leaving was all his idea but I think that it was mutual at best. At worst, the score or the Sox or both wanted to go cheap.Jerry wanted Rooney back. He told the score to offer at leaast what he was making at am 1000. But the score wanted him on the cheap.
Radio announcer contracts are almost always porportional to the size of teh team's radio contract.
The score was paying less to the sox than what am 1000 did, so they felt rooney was too expensive.
Gene

Soxfest
04-12-2006, 09:12 AM
Good for JR, I miss him already.

Steelrod
04-12-2006, 09:55 AM
Jerry wanted Rooney back. He told the score to offer at leaast what he was making at am 1000. But the score wanted him on the cheap.
Radio announcer contracts are almost always porportional to the size of teh team's radio contract.
The score was paying less to the sox than what am 1000 did, so they felt rooney was too expensive.
Gene
Rooney's salary was not cut. He said as much. He just said he wasn't offered an increase! But he already knew where he was going.