PDA

View Full Version : Royals announcer says Ozzie changin things up?

JoeClutch24
04-10-2006, 07:52 PM
I was at all 3 games this past weekend and I was comin home and listening to the post game. The guys said that he thinks Ozzie hasn't been doing what he usually does. Saying that he wasn't using his normal tactics by moving over runners. My dad agreed with him, but I thought he was fine. I don't think he bunted runners over as much, but Pods, A.J., Dye, and B.A. all tried to lay one down throughout the weekend. Just wanted to see what you guys thought?

NDSox12
04-10-2006, 07:55 PM
I was at all 3 games this past weekend and I was comin home and listening to the post game. The guys said that he thinks Ozzie hasn't been doing what he usually does. Saying that he wasn't using his normal tactics by moving over runners. My dad agreed with him, but I thought he was fine. I don't think he bunted runners over as much, but Pods, A.J., Dye, and B.A. all tried to lay one down throughout the weekend. Just wanted to see what you guys thought?

I think Podsednik's inability to get on base makes it appear that the Sox are doing things differently. I don't see any evidence of Ozzie taking a new approach though.

JohnBasedowYoda
04-10-2006, 08:07 PM
Yeah if the speedier types aren't on base then we resort back to the ::gasp:: Manuel-era ::cringe::

JD's lone sb should be a testament to that.

How would Cintron do as a temporary leadoff replacement? (i ask that question barring line-up change talk).

eurotrash35
04-10-2006, 09:50 PM
We thought we were the only ones in the whole KC metro area listening to the postgame. Did you hear the clown call in on the air complaining about Berroa and asking why the Royals don't get Derek Jeter? I was going to call in and ask him if he was at the game and saw more than 14,000 people there. Try putting more than a handful of butts in the seats before you start complaining about personnel.

voodoochile
04-11-2006, 09:57 AM
Yeah if the speedier types aren't on base then we resort back to the ::gasp:: Manuel-era ::cringe::

JD's lone sb should be a testament to that.

How would Cintron do as a temporary leadoff replacement? (i ask that question barring line-up change talk).

The Sox can slug a bit more this season which is great to have as the primary means of putting runs on the board. They will surely start to manufacture more runs when Pods finds his eye and stroke, but last year they hit over (or close to) 200 HR. They still slugged quite a bit. This season they will hit even more, IMO.

batmanZoSo
04-11-2006, 10:06 AM
The Sox can slug a bit more this season which is great to have as the primary means of putting runs on the board. They will surely start to manufacture more runs when Pods finds his eye and stroke, but last year they hit over (or close to) 200 HR. They still slugged quite a bit. This season they will hit even more, IMO.

Sometimes people overdo the smallball aspect of this Sox team. Basically, we have two fast table-setters at the top of a primarily slugging, AL lineup. So we have multiple ways to score runs and win a game. The big difference is we now have the one stud in the middle that we can rely heavily on. That just lessens the need for stringing hits together, which we did more of last year without Thomas.

voodoochile
04-11-2006, 10:42 AM
Sometimes people overdo the smallball aspect of this Sox team. Basically, we have two fast table-setters at the top of a primarily slugging, AL lineup. So we have multiple ways to score runs and win a game. The big difference is we now have the one stud in the middle that we can rely heavily on. That just lessens the need for stringing hits together, which we did more of last year without Thomas.

Exactly, the Sox didn't ding teams to death last year. Yes, they had ways of manufacturing a single run when needed and yes that helped last year in the playoffs and will be part of this year's team's make up again, but if anyone thinks the Sox are going to bunt and steal their way to a WS title this year (when they didn't last year), they are nuts.

First priority have a pitching rotation/bullpen that can minimize the other team's production.

Second priority, have a team that can score lots of runs - read: guys who can drive the ball into gaps and over the walls.

Third priority, have a team that can manufacture runs when necessary.

Fourth priority, have a defense that the pitchers can rely on to not make a lot of errors and help keep the other team's run production down.

Right now the Sox have 1,2 and 4 going for them and if/when Pods gets going the Sox will have 3 also.

Still the team to beat, but the tried and true method of winning still remains having good pitchers and big sluggers in the middle and lower half of your lineup.

How many HR will the Sox hit this season?

Thome - 40
Paulie - 40
Dye - 30
Crede - 30
Uribe - 25
AJ - 20
Iguchi - 20
Anderson - 20

That's 245 and even if the numbers prove off the Sox will clear 220 easily because the bench hasn't even been figured in yet...

Trav
04-11-2006, 11:19 AM
We thought we were the only ones in the whole KC metro area listening to the postgame. Did you hear the clown call in on the air complaining about Berroa and asking why the Royals don't get Derek Jeter? I was going to call in and ask him if he was at the game and saw more than 14,000 people there. Try putting more than a handful of butts in the seats before you start complaining about personnel.

14k for the second game for a team that has no chance of winning really impressed me. I don't want a suspension but if you look back at previous years I would guess that the figure the Sox had at game 2 would be somewhere around there.

ondafarm
04-11-2006, 11:34 AM
I think the pitching and defense really go hand in hand. Ozuna in left really bothered Garland in his loss. Jon has always been a little edgy as far as, he gave up big innings when things went badly. Throw a top-notch defense behind him and zip he transforms into a near twenty game winner. In my own experience, some pitchers could adjust to a bad play being made behind them and bear down even harder (Mark Buehrle), some guys need to make a mistake or two themselves before they really bear down (Freddy Garcia) and some guys get really flustered by a boot in the field (Jon Garland.)

Do I think Ozzie knows this? You'd better believe it.

The Sox need Pods in the field because he covers so much more ground than any other left fielder they've got. And one more ". . . I thought Carlos Lee was a superior outfielder. . ." remarks will get some serious sniping. I am surprised that Pods is still batting lead-off though.

Pods, when on base, is a great disruptor of opposition pitching. He forces a Garland onto most guys in the league. Once he is back to speed then Thome and Konerko and Dye will start seeing better pitches to hit.

Stoky44
04-12-2006, 08:50 AM
How many HR will the Sox hit this season?

Thome - 40
Paulie - 40
Dye - 30
Crede - 30
Uribe - 25
AJ - 20
Iguchi - 20
Anderson - 20

That's 245 and even if the numbers prove off the Sox will clear 220 easily because the bench hasn't even been figured in yet...

I have a problem with your numbers. AJ will not hit 20, maybe 15. Last year was a career high at 18. Anderson will also hit in the mid teens. Uribe will hit 20 at the most. Crede will hit 25 at the most, prob closer to 20. I will give you Iguchi hitting 20, but probably closer to the upper teens (last year he hit 15). I believe Thome will hit at least 40, but no more than 47. And Konerko will be around 40, give or take a few. Dye will hit 30. You over estimated the HR numbers, with the exception of Dye, Thome and Konerko, none of these players ever hit that many HR in a season.

New Count (2005 Numbers):
Thome - 40 (injuried last year, I will give him 40 though)
Paulie - 40
Dye - 31
Crede - 22
Uribe - 16
AJ - 18
Iguchi - 15
Anderson - 15 (Again an estimate, but I say this is a high estimate)

Total: 197

I think it will be tight for the Sox to clear 200, but they should. To me they are not going to hit over 220, I say 220 is the upper limit for this team.

Steelrod
04-12-2006, 08:54 AM
I have a problem with your numbers. AJ will not hit 20, maybe 15. Last year was a career high at 18. Anderson will also hit in the mid teens. Uribe will hit 20 at the most. Crede will hit 25 at the most, prob closer to 20. I will give you Iguchi hitting 20, but probably closer to the upper teens (last year he hit 15). I believe Thome will hit at least 40, but no more than 47. And Konerko will be around 40, give or take a few. Dye will hit 30. You over estimated the HR numbers, with the exception of Dye, Thome and Konerko, none of these players ever hit that many HR in a season.

New Count (2005 Numbers):
Thome - 40 (injuried last year, I will give him 40 though)
Paulie - 40
Dye - 31
Crede - 22
Uribe - 16
AJ - 18
Iguchi - 15
Anderson - 15 (Again an estimate, but I say this is a high estimate)

Total: 197

I think it will be tight for the Sox to clear 200, but they should. To me they are not going to hit over 220, I say 220 is the upper limit for this team.
You shouldn't have a problem with his numbers. It's his OPINION!

Trav
04-12-2006, 09:14 AM
I don't care if they only hit 100 so long as they matter. So far, most of Thome's have mattered. Maybe he can be the master of the Anti-ShaME dinger. Someone should count the HRs that take the lead or tie a game for each team and use those.