Juan Mateo vs. Ryan Rodriguez

Myrtle Beach vs. Winston-Salem - 7:00 et
James Parr vs. Adam Russell

Kanny is off.

He gone
04-10-2006, 07:40 PM
Charlotte @ Columbus - 7:05 et
Hideo Nomo vs. Darrell Rasner

Nomo was scratched :?: Stephen Randolph started and pitched 4 innings. 1 Unearned run. 1 to 1 in the top of the 6th and Razor just got tossed for the 2nd time this season for arguing. There's been alot of Arguing this game with the SCAB Umps. There was a couple of arguements yesterday too.

California Sox
04-10-2006, 10:44 PM
Listened to some of the W-S game. Russell sounded like he was really popping the ball. The announcers had two pitches above 97 in the first inning and he was 92-94 the whole time he was in there. Two of his three walks are attributable to replacement umps so he had a good start.

Randar, I know you're a big fan. Since there's little hope he'll pass McCarthy, Liotta, Broadway, and Lumsden for a rotation shot, do you think he'd be suited for relief?

rdivaldi
04-10-2006, 11:04 PM
I'm a big fan of Russell, I think he's destined to be a starter. You know that KW will trade a couple of our top guys, so there's a chance he may get a shot in the next 2- 4 years. But he has a big frame and doesn't wear down as the game goes on. I just hope he can work out his control issues, or he'll just be another big guy that can throw hard...

Randar68
04-11-2006, 10:59 AM
Listened to some of the W-S game. Russell sounded like he was really popping the ball. The announcers had two pitches above 97 in the first inning and he was 92-94 the whole time he was in there. Two of his three walks are attributable to replacement umps so he had a good start.

Randar, I know you're a big fan. Since there's little hope he'll pass McCarthy, Liotta, Broadway, and Lumsden for a rotation shot, do you think he'd be suited for relief?

I heard it rumored this spring that some thought Russell would be better suited in a relief role and that his velocity would jump. I am pretty shocked if he was really hitting upper 90's on his pitches. In the past he's struggled to work in the 90 mph range on a consistent basis and if he could work consistently in the 93mph range it would be a big jump for him. Still working on his offspeed stuff and can be a one-pitch pitcher at times, but he's got a very projectible build and smooth delivery.

I think you keep guys like him as starters as long as possible and if they are suited for bullpen roles on your team when they are MLB ready, then you move them over. They need the experience and innings under their belts to develop properly, IMO.

Randar68
04-11-2006, 11:07 AM
Charlotte won 2-1 behind a strong start on a bullpen day after Nomo was scratched.
http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/app/milb/stats/stats.jsp?sid=t494&t=g_box&gid=2006_04_10_chraaa_colaaa_1

Birmingham lost 3-2 to West Tenn. Offense continues to sputter. Only one extra base hit and nobody had more than 1 hit.
http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/app/milb/stats/stats.jsp?sid=milb&t=g_box&gid=2006_04_10_wtdaax_biraax_1

Winston-Salem beat Myrtle Beach 5-1.
http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/app/milb/stats/stats.jsp?sid=milb&t=g_box&gid=2006_04_10_myrafa_wswafa_1

maurice
04-12-2006, 02:19 PM
When I saw Russell late last year, he was around 93, and threw 90% fastballs. He's gonna need at least one more pitch to be a MLB starter.