3) Best 3-4-5 hitters. Over $30 mil in talent
4) Best defensive IF
5) Solid bullpen
6) Near best leadoff hitter
7) Best bench
8) Good catching
9) Crede primed for an El Cabello like year
10) ROY candidate in Brian Anderson

What you've seen over the last week is that when are 3-4-5 are healthy we are awfully hard to beat. When one goes down for a span of several games we become vulnerable.

Ozuna makes a poor outfielder. Hopefully Sweeney will attack AAA to where he can't be ignored. Cintron is good enough to back up both Iguchi & Uribe.

While it's true the pen has looked a little shakey, ill-timed errors have had a LOT to do with that. If this team cuts down the errors & starts making the 2005 plays the division will not be able to keep pace.

Hangar18
04-10-2006, 04:11 PM
you forgot
11) Indian 3-4-5 hitters all are out for the season.

Otherwise, we arent running away with the division. I think its going to be tight all year long, SOX better get used to this.

SOXPHILE
04-10-2006, 04:18 PM
Well, I like Anderson, but I think it's a little early to talk about Rookie of the Year. He must cut down on those K's.

Chicken Dinner
04-10-2006, 04:19 PM
You forgot

12) A leadoff hitter that's 1 for 22 with no stolen bases. Lets be serious here. The only way the Sox will run away with the division is if the play solid, smart baseball. Take things one game at a time and don't get cocky.

ShoelessJoeS
04-10-2006, 04:24 PM
IMO, reason #1 is good enough for the Sox to win the Central....all others are a bonus :D:

SoLongFrank
04-10-2006, 04:24 PM
Well, I like Anderson, but I think it's a little early to talk about Rookie of the Year. He must cut down on those K's.

ROY candidate within the division. Not all of MLB ;)

WhiteSoxFan84
04-10-2006, 04:26 PM

Sounds much better, cuz so far, Mr. Anderson SUCKS. I think he chose the wrong pill for this season.... (Matrix reference not steroid accusation, relaxxx!)

oeo
04-10-2006, 04:29 PM
you forgot
11) Indian 3-4-5 hitters all are out for the season.

Otherwise, we arent running away with the division. I think its going to be tight all year long, SOX better get used to this.

Well, didn't they show you last year that they performed better when it was close? If it wasn't for the Indians making a huge push, I don't think the Sox would have ever won last year. They know when to turn it up.

MadetoOrta
04-10-2006, 04:32 PM
Would everyone quit whining already. Geez Louise. The starting pitching alone will keep us in the race. [See Oakland A's for reference] We may not win the division in the end but let's face it, this division is much better than the "experts" believe. We won the World Series and I was alive to see it. We're way ahead of the game from my vantage point.

TaylorStSox
04-10-2006, 04:35 PM

He's reminding me Rowand with all those K's. :rolleyes:

TheOldRoman
04-10-2006, 04:37 PM
Who or what the hell is El Cabello?
If you mean El CabAllo, I hope not. I hope he doesn't get fat and lazy and play horrible defense, all while putting up all his stats in garbage time.

Whitesox4ever
04-10-2006, 04:45 PM

I think Justin Verlander will be the best rookie in the AL Central but I see the Sox winning the divison by 7 games

SoLongFrank
04-10-2006, 04:45 PM
Would everyone quit whining already. Geez Louise. The starting pitching alone will keep us in the race. [See Oakland A's for reference] We may not win the division in the end but let's face it, this division is much better than the "experts" believe. We won the World Series and I was alive to see it. We're way ahead of the game from my vantage point.

I'm not sold on the division being "much" better. Detroit is still looking at a starting staff that is more potential than anything else (Rogers the only exception), the Indians bullpen is more suspect than ours, the Royals did nothing against the Tigs but did well against our comedy of errors, & the Twins look less adept on offense than previous years. Without clutch hitting, good pitching is a waste.

The Indians fell 6 gb in the end in 2005. That's after flirting with overtaking us. Whether they can get any closer will depend on major improvement of young players. They lost talent in both the rotation & the pen.

The biggest HELP for the White Sox in 2006 is Mak. His replacement value for a poor or ailing Pods should prevent long losing streaks like that of last August.

So, I remain unconvinced the challenge will be that great. So long as we remain healthy this is the year people will be saying what happened to the Tribe when it's all said & done. They got weaker while the Tigs got stronger.

Chisox003
04-10-2006, 04:50 PM
This division is going to be a dog fight

Nobody is going to run away with it

And if you believe we will, more power to you. Have another :gulp:

Erik The Red
04-10-2006, 04:51 PM
El Cabello

http://www.fiftiesweb.com/fashion/teen-hair-style.jpg

El Caballo

http://www.prosportspictures.com/images/mlb/milwaukee-brewers/2005/05-carlos-lee-action-01-sm.jpg

kevingrt
04-10-2006, 05:10 PM

Totally agree with you Chisox003. It is going to be very hard to do as well inside the division as we did last year. Minnesota is lacking but the Tribe, Tigers, and Royals all improved in some way shape or form this winter. Should be exactly what you called it, "a dog-fight"

SoLongFrank
04-10-2006, 05:13 PM
http://www.hardballtimes.com/winshares/index.php?search=&linesToDisplay=100&sort=cws&sort2=WSAB&limit1=Team&limit2=Position&leagueLimit=NL
Ordonez (4112 AB's) 151 win-shares, Konerko (3995 AB's) 113 win-shares, & Carlos Lee (3946 AB's) 124 win-shares.

That's not garbage time & at the rate he's progressed he will overtake Maggs in win-shares & maintain his lead over Konerko.

There is no relation to Crede & Lee when it comes to defense.

Let's not re-visit the Pods 4 Lee trade. We needed a quality leadoff hitter who can steal bases more than another thumper in the middle of the order. Kenny felt Lee was expendable because of Thomas' bat. Everett was a stop-gap measure because of Thomas' health & Thome is a true replacement value player for Thomas.

longshot7
04-10-2006, 05:13 PM
Who or what the hell is El Cabello?
If you mean El CabAllo, I hope not. I hope he doesn't get fat and lazy and play horrible defense, all while putting up all his stats in garbage time.

Blasphemy!! I'd redo Lee for Podsednik anytime.

Chip Z'nuff
04-10-2006, 05:22 PM
:tealtutor:

TheOldRoman
04-10-2006, 05:26 PM
Then you have no clue as to how baseball is played. Overpaid, fat lazy sluggers are easy to find. Great leadoff hitters are not. The trade also freed up enough money to allow the Sox to sign Dye, AJ, Iguchi, El Duque, and more. If you think the Sox could have won the series with Willie leading off and playing 2, Lee butching left field, Joe Borchard in right, McCarthy starting the whole season, and Ben Davis behind the plate, then you are insane.

As for the above post by SoLongFrank, leave it to a loser FOBB to pull out more meaningless stats. Hopefully we can get our chance of winning the division higher than 88% this year by the time we clinch. It would be pretty embarassing for us if we "overachieved" again. :rolleyes:

SoLongFrank
04-10-2006, 05:27 PM
It was a freakin' typo! Sheesh! Two keys apart & you act like a commited a cardinal sin! Chill.

El Caballo = The Horse or if you are a Lee fan The Stallion. El Caballo sounds a lot better than El Semental.

Though I like Cub-Killa the best ;)

Lee was the reason why the Cubs fell to 4th place in 2005. Of this there is no doubt. He will likely be the reason they remain there in 2006.

Especially if he continues to hit .368, with 2 HR, 5RBI, & 5 R. It's that last category that's overlooked the most with C Lee. He's at 625 R for his career. Maggs is at 667, Konerko is at 584. C Lee should overtake Maggs in career R this year & distance himself even further from Konerko.

You can put the man down for his defense, but it's ridiculous to put him down for his offense.

Hangar18
04-10-2006, 05:29 PM
Overpaid, fat lazy sluggers are easy to find. Great leadoff hitters are not.

I dont know ................. the Marlins seem to be giving them away.

jandm859
04-10-2006, 05:37 PM

you and me both, trade pods for c-lee in a heartbeat

SoLongFrank
04-10-2006, 05:37 PM
So now win-share is a meaningless stat? It's obvious you have no idea what it is or what it measures. That forces me to dumb down the debate I guess.

Do you have anything but your ridiculous opinion to prove he's a fat, lazy, slugger that pads numbers in garbage time?

It's a stupid comment to make knowing that CLee practically carried the White Sox on his back in 2004. If not for CLee we would not have gotten Pods & without Pods we do not win the World Series.

I've discussed the trade. It made sense for the White Sox. They were woeful in SB & all recent WS winners had good speed at the top. It was the most immediate way to remedy that weakness.

Now guess which team has inherited that weakness the most? The Tribe. Losing Crisp has greatly weakened their ability to score playing smallball. If they fall into a hitting slump (like all teams do) they will not be able to manufacture runs. I think it's a near certainty they will not match or exceed their 2005 win total.

Erik The Red
04-10-2006, 06:21 PM
It was a freakin' typo! Sheesh! Two keys apart & you act like a commited a cardinal sin! Chill.
:rolling:

If that isn't the very definition of irony, then I don't know what is.

Look, I could've said, "Hey you ****in' idiot, you spelled it wrong!" Instead, I pointed out the difference between the two words, and yet you still get your panties in a bunch.

JohnBasedowYoda
04-10-2006, 06:34 PM
What's the story on CC Sabathia's health? That would be another reason if he's out for a long period.

JohnBasedowYoda
04-10-2006, 06:35 PM
:rolling:

If that isn't the very definition of irony, then I don't know what is.

Look, I could've said, "Hey you ****in' idiot, you spelled it wrong!" Instead, I pointed out the difference between the two words, and yet you still get your panties in a bunch.

I thought it was a classic. So is El Cabello a pony tail or a blonde?

Chisox003
04-10-2006, 06:37 PM
Ya, I'm sure you were saying the same thing when you were celebrating on October 26, 2005.

:rolleyes:

Pods is perfect for this lineup, give him time to get back in it.

Then we'll revisit this thread and find that all his bashers quickly turned into his biggest fans....About early May amidst an 8 game winning streak sound about right?

Double :rolleyes:

Jjav829
04-10-2006, 06:52 PM

Exactly. No one is running away with the division. Cleveland is a very good team. Detroit, while not as good as they have played so far, is an improved team and will at least be more competitive this year. I doubt the Twins will be this bad all season long. In the end, it should come down to us and Cleveland again, but I expect it to be a race that isn't decided until the final week or two, just like last year. The only difference is I don't see any team having a double digit lead at any time this year.

Tragg
04-10-2006, 07:29 PM
I think we have superior pitching to Cleveland, which gives us a solid edge.
But, we will also have trouble scoring runs, and probably rely on the long ball a lot, as we did last year. Too much mediocre OBP on this team, but it would be really helped if Pods would end his slump.

hawkjt
04-10-2006, 08:17 PM
AJ could throw out an occasional runner on the bases.

He is good otherwise but lets face it he is below average at throwing out runners.

This division will be tight. The indians young players have more experience and will mature further with another year under their belt. Our guys are already in their prime for the most part.

Tigers- Bonderman is damn tough and we were lucky to beat him today.

Rogers is always tough on us.

Robertson shut us down in the past.

Jason Johnson we beat.

Maroth has been tough on us.

Maggs will have a big year- he hit us hard last year.

Monroe seems to hit us hard. Shelton-good.

I think 92 wins will take the division with more parity this year. Go Sox!

MarySwiss
04-10-2006, 08:42 PM

Well then, I'm glad you are not the GM. I was a big Carlos Lee fan, but c'mon; Pods was a HUGE part of what made the 2005 Sox the World Champs.

sox647
04-10-2006, 09:05 PM
Ya, I'm sure you were saying the same thing when you were celebrating on October 26, 2005.

:rolleyes:

Pods is perfect for this lineup, give him time to get back in it.

Then we'll revisit this thread and find that all his bashers quickly turned into his biggest fans....About early May amidst an 8 game winning streak sound about right?

Double :rolleyes:

:pods: Thank you. I'm still going thru my spring training.

SOXSINCE'70
04-10-2006, 09:59 PM

:hawk
"YYYYESSSSS!!!!"

We'll see how tough the Sox are in the coming months.
There are 4 teams that could win the division ('Toons,White Sox,
Tiggers and Twinkies).This will probably be decided in Sept.
And beware of teams who take the Royals lightly.
Offensively,they will win some of those 11-10 type
games this year,IMHO.Hell,look at what they did to the
White Sox this past weekend.:(: :(:

DSpivack
04-10-2006, 10:58 PM
Tigers- Jason Johnson we beat.

Johnson...is on the Indians now.

SoxSpeed22
04-10-2006, 11:15 PM
Justin Verlander is Detroit's fifth starter. I don't like seeing the Sox play against rookie pitchers, we all know why.
Don't be surprised if Kansas City is a direct spoiler in this division, they have guys who know how to play.

Hitmen77
04-10-2006, 11:29 PM
:threadsucks

Sorry, but I don't want to hear about how we're going to run away with the division. Let's leave that sort of trash talk to the Indians and their fans.

FloridaSox
04-10-2006, 11:38 PM
Then you have no clue as to how baseball is played. Overpaid, fat lazy sluggers are easy to find. Great leadoff hitters are not.

So who is a great leadoff hitter? Ricky Henderson, yeah! Derek Jeter, sure! Scott Podsednik--you got be kidding. He will lucky to be in the majors in two years.

0o0o0
04-10-2006, 11:43 PM
So who is a great leadoff hitter? Ricky Henderson, yeah! Derek Jeter, sure! Scott Podsednik--you got be kidding. He will lucky to be in the majors in two years.
:?: Uh what?

Lip Man 1
04-10-2006, 11:59 PM
I think the White Sox will win the division...but it won't be a 'runaway.'

I say five games or less.

Lip

pudge
04-11-2006, 12:05 AM
It's going to be fun, that's for sure...

Deuce
04-11-2006, 12:06 AM
http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/5562/carlos6cp.png

"iAy, yay, yay... mi cabello!"

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50903&highlight=cabello

sullythered
04-11-2006, 12:55 AM
Ain't nobody runnin' away with this division. The Indians are right there with us, the Tigers have a potent offense and talented young pitchers, the Twins' staff is still formidable, and the Royals actually look like a major league team this season. 90 wins might bring the title because they'll all be whoopin' up on each other all year long, and I don't see anybody in the Central getting many more than that. That being said, I think the winner of this division should be the favorite come playoff time.

mikeybooyah
04-11-2006, 01:00 AM
I liked the positive nature of this thread. There is so much negativity (despite it being week 1) all the time, it was a breath of fresh air. Why do people need to put someone down for having a good attitude and confidence in their club?

TheOldRoman
04-11-2006, 01:15 AM

Yeah, I mean, he didn't get a hit or a stolen base today. He sucks.

:dumbass:

StatHead21
04-11-2006, 01:25 AM
Running away with it will be very tough especially if Pods reverts back to his 2004 form which he looks like he might be doing. Anderson doesn't look like much of a hitter and it looks like Macowiak will take a lot of PT from him so ROY might be a stretch but other than those two they look solid. Also Thome Konerko Dye is not the best 3-4-5, A-Rod-Sheff-Giambi is the best even though they are dirty scumbags...

DaleJRFan
04-11-2006, 02:03 AM
Thome Konerko Dye is not the best 3-4-5, A-Rod-Sheff-Giambi is the best even though they are dirty scumbags...

Great first post. Last time I checked, we were talking about the AL Central.

There have been some really stupid posts in this thread. What the hell is going on this season??? My god....

Soxfest
04-12-2006, 10:14 AM

I am as Sox fan but put the kool-aid down.

SoLongFrank
04-12-2006, 03:23 PM

I am as Sox fan but put the kool-aid down.

The subtle nature of the thread has been missed by some posters. The entire top 10 reasons are confined to the American League Central & not MLB in general!

Pods is the near best lead-off hitter in the ALC because he changes the nature of the game. A pitcher is more prone to make a mistake when he gets on. Now that Crisp is in the ALE there's not another ALC player for which that applies more than Pods.

The other thing some posters are confused about (I can't blame them with all these day games wreaking havoc on their PTC's) is that running away with the division doesn't mean clobbering it in games.

The White Sox are not a clobbering team. I'm not saying there won't be stretches where they do get on a roll & indeed clobber some teams but by & large most of their wins will be by 1-2 run margins because they are an opportunistic team. They are the most opportunistic team in the ALC by far.

But you are seeing it in this series in Detroit. When their pitchers get on a roll the life is sucked out of the other team. That team begins to press & is prone to more mistakes. The White Sox are always ready to jump on that.

Cleveland will not contend if it does not figure out how to steal bases & move runners along without hits. They do not have a NY Yankee's lineup that can win when their pitching struggles. They do not have near as good a bullpen as last year.

Now if you want to find reasons for believing that this team will fly under the radar most of the season keep trying. Keep trying to ignore the fact that it now has a 43 mil rotation.

The only real weakness on the White Sox right now is the bullpen & mainly Bobby Jenks. But that is mostly due to inexperience. He became the closer when the White Sox had a very comfortable lead in the division last year. It's an entirely different world being the closer at the start.

So because of Jenks we should expect the White Sox to look vulnerable early on. But that's not something that will stick with them long. Either Jenks will prove himself in April or someone else will assume the role.

WHITE SOX win 4-3. Move their record to 4-4. Go for the sweep of the Tiggers at Comerica tomorrow.

Jjav829
04-12-2006, 03:51 PM
Pods is the near best lead-off hitter in the ALC because he changes the nature of the game. A pitcher is more prone to make a mistake when he gets on. Now that Crisp is in the ALE there's not another ALC player for which that applies more than Pods.

Near best in the ALC? So, what, he's in the top 2 or 3 of 5? That's not really much of a compliment. You're basically saying he is one of the top 2 or 3 leadoff hitters among 2 or 3 teams that figure to compete for the division.

SoLongFrank
04-12-2006, 04:38 PM
Pods is off too a slow start. On the strength of his 2005 season he deserves to at least be considered near best.

The top dog right now is Granderson. 3 BB, 1 SB, & a 922 OPS.
Stewart is behind him with a 1 BB, 1 SB, & a 953 OPS. Followed by Sizemore w a 794 OPS, 0 BB, & 0 SB. Costas has yet to draw a BB, or a SB either.

As R go, Stewart's on top w 7, Granderson 6, Sizemore 2, Pods 1, & Costas 1.
Pods has avg'd over 85 R a yr the past 3 yrs. There is no way he will avg just 20 R this season. That's ridiculous. As for Sizemore, if he can only muster 2 R while hitting 353 he's not going to come close to Pods.

I think when it's all said & done Pods will lead all other leadoff hitters in the ALC in BB, SB, & R scored.