PDA

View Full Version : Chicago NewsMedia Watch 4/6/06, 4/7/06, 4/8/06, 4/9/06, 4/10/06

Hangar18
04-10-2006, 01:30 PM
Been pretty busy at work the last couple of days, and weve got alot of catching up to do. With that other team putting together a mini-winning streak, history has shown the Chicago Media to go pee-in-pants hog-wild for the cubbies with media coverage. It has been absolutely SICKENING to watch just how fast the tables re-turned back in their favor. Some here predicted that a Slow SOX start and anything resembling winning for the other team would Grind to a Screeching Halt the momentum the SOX gained by winning the World Series last season.

The other team is currently in 3rd place a game and a half out of first, but that hasnt stopped the media onslaught that has occured over the last few days. Regarding tv reports, the terms "first place" "world series" and "october" have come up disturbingly often. Mind you, when the SOX were one week into the season last year, none of those terms were used. Instead, the reports were "they arent for real" "theyre playing the easier central" "wait til they play the east" "lets see if theyre in 1st at AS break" "too early to talk playoffs".

Despite winning the World Series in 2005, being only the 5th team in MLB history to lead from wire-to-wire and win the series, the White Sox inexplicably find themselves losing in media coverage to a team thats in 3rd place (as opposed to the coverage last year when the SOX were in 1st place). Disturbing.

Chicago Tribune:
32 cub stories
16 sox stories
Chicago SunTimes:
27 cub stories
18 sox stories

Priviledged, Media Owned, 4th place in 2005..................Cubs 215
Underdog, Media Ignored, WS Champs in 2005 ...............SOX 194

DaveIsHere
04-10-2006, 03:25 PM
Thanks Hangar

CaptainBallz
04-10-2006, 04:06 PM
Double the stories in that stretch for the Cubune, huh? Shocker!!

SOXPHILE
04-10-2006, 04:30 PM
Terrible. I mentioned it earlier in the "DON'T LET HANGAR READ THE CHICAGO SPORTS SECTIONS" thread, but Saturday and Sunday were nauseating. In the Cubune, there were about 8 Cub related articles, & a bunch of large, full color photos, while there was 1...1 ! Sox story. Sunday, about 6-7 articles, more color photos, including a softball "interview" with Juan Pierre on the entire back page. There were only about 2 Sox stories, and a couple of small black & white pictures. Pathetic. Hmmmm...I wonder which team is coming off of a WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONSHIP season, and which most recently completed YET ANOTHER under .500 campaign ? Hello ? Mr. Knue ? No bias at TribCo., right ?

Hangar18
04-10-2006, 05:12 PM
Terrible. I mentioned it earlier in the "DON'T LET HANGAR READ THE CHICAGO SPORTS SECTIONS" thread, but Saturday and Sunday were nauseating. In the Cubune, there were about 8 Cub related articles, & a bunch of large, full color photos, while there was 1...1 ! Sox story. Sunday, about 6-7 articles, more color photos, including a softball "interview" with Juan Pierre on the entire back page. There were only about 2 Sox stories, and a couple of small black & white pictures. Pathetic. Hmmmm...I wonder which team is coming off of a WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONSHIP season, and which most recently completed YET ANOTHER under .500 campaign ? Hello ? Mr. Knue ? No bias at TribCo., right ?

:knue

" Well Soxphile, the reason were giving more press to the Cubs, is because, quite simply, they are in 1st place and are the big story. Were simply giving less coverage to the SOX because theyre having a down year, thats all. When the SOX start playing well again, you'll see them get more coverage again. Theres no big 'conspiracy' here, its just business"

Hangar18
04-10-2006, 05:19 PM

" Well Soxphile, the reason were giving more press to the Cubs, is because, quite simply, they are in 1st place and are the big story. Were simply giving less coverage to the SOX because theyre having a down year, thats all. When the SOX start playing well again, you'll see them get more coverage again. Theres no big 'conspiracy' here, its just business"

Wait a second here, didnt you guys tell us all along that when the SOX start doing well, we'll see the extra coverage? Im not sure if the Media is aware of this, but the Chicago White Sox won the World Series in 2005. Yet here we are 2 weeks into the season, and the Cubs are starting to blow the SOX out again. What gives?

" ................err....................ummmm...... .............(Car door slams, Tires squeal away)"

SOXPHILE
04-10-2006, 05:25 PM
Wait a second here, didnt you guys tell us all along that when the SOX start doing well, we'll see the extra coverage? Im not sure if the Media is aware of this, but the Chicago White Sox won the World Series in 2005. Yet here we are 2 weeks into the season, and the Cubs are starting to blow the SOX out again. What gives?

" ................err....................ummmm...... .............(Car door slams, Tires squeal away)"

http://www.tribune.com/images/stock/dennisbw.jpg
"Don't worry George, I'll take from here. Mr. Hangar, we here at the Tribune Corporation adhere ourselves to the highest journalistic standards, and that includes how we cover sports, America's team-the Cubs, and that other team you and a few of your cohorts like,...what are they ? Oh yeah, those White Sox. Anway, we cover both equally, and anytime there is more coverage of the lovable Cubbies, it's because the city of Chicago is like, 95% Cub fans, and we are only reflecting the interests of what most people want to see. Isn't that right Rick ?

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/media/thumbnails/columnist/2002-04/2565201.jpg (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/cs-rick-morrissey,1,6981868.columnist?coll=cs-columnists)

"Yessir ! You said it sir ! I only do what my wonderful readers want me to sir ! Do you want me to refresh your coffee for you sir ?