PDA

View Full Version : Is Pods Hurting?

kittle545feet
04-10-2006, 12:55 PM
The fact that Pods is struggling does not surprise me due to his spring training but it does seem funny that he hasn't tried to lay down some bunts to get on base. I think the reason is that his hamstring is bothering him. Why else would he not be attempting to get on that way? Any ideas?:?:

Madvora
04-10-2006, 12:58 PM
His hamstring? Wasn't it a groin injury that he was recovering from?
Is there another injury I'm missing?

PaleHosed
04-10-2006, 12:59 PM
The fact that Pods is struggling does not surprise me due to his spring training but it does seem funny that he hasn't tried to lay down some bunts to get on base. I think the reason is that his hamstring is bothering him. Why else would he not be attempting to get on that way? Any ideas?:?:

I don't know if he is hurting but, I've been wondering the same thing on the why isn't he trying to bunt. Not only is it a way to get on base it always used to help me get my timing down better.

Corlose 15
04-10-2006, 01:00 PM
He has tried to get some bunts down. He started the game off on Sat by popping up a bunt to third base. He also tried a couple times on Sun and couldn't keep them fair.

HebrewHammer
04-10-2006, 01:07 PM
His slow start could be attributed to the fact that he missed a lot of spring training, but he does look a step slower than last year.

seventyseven
04-10-2006, 01:18 PM
His slow start could be attributed to the fact that he missed a lot of spring training, but he does look a step slower than last year.

He looks about 10 steps slower. I know its early, but Pods looks like he's never seen major league pitching before.

SkeetSkeetAmit
04-10-2006, 01:18 PM
This is a contract year for Pods too, isn't it?

CHI_SOX_4_LIFE
04-10-2006, 01:29 PM
it looks like he's swinging for the fences, like he thinks he has power now cuz of the playoffs

StockdaleForVeep
04-10-2006, 01:29 PM
He's prob just worried about hurting it. Its just like breakin a bone, even though u know its healed, yer afraid in the back of yer head to hurt it and want to protect it. He just needs to get over the mental barrier

lizard6king6
04-10-2006, 02:54 PM
Pods is my favorite player but watching him right now makes me want to cry :( It also makes me angry especially with all the pop outs he has. I think at this point we shouldnt worry but if this last another week, he has to be hurting or something.

chisoxfanatic
04-10-2006, 02:59 PM
Pods is my favorite player but watching him right now makes me want to cry :( It also makes me angry especially with all the pop outs he has. I think at this point we shouldnt worry but if this last another week, he has to be hurting or something.

He also doesn't seem to be getting as great reads out in the outfield as he did last year. Hopefully this is all just smokescreen and he'll get back to his original status soon!

TheKittle
04-10-2006, 03:06 PM
Maybe it's his marriage? :D:

cbotnyse
04-10-2006, 03:11 PM
Pods performance in the field and at the plate has been pretty bad so far...he really doesnt seem anywhere close to 100%....it is generally agreed here that he is a vital part to our success....if we're at the bottom, maybe theres nowhere to go but up??........lets hope he picks it up soon, right now its getting tough to watch

lizard6king6
04-10-2006, 03:29 PM
Maybe it's his marriage? :D:
My girlfriend and I always joke around that she must of sucked all the life out of him and I always remind her "See what women do to us men" :) Stupid former playboy model (never thought I say that) lol

TaylorStSox
04-10-2006, 03:38 PM
My fear is that he is close to 100% and has just lost a step.

JorgeFabregas
04-10-2006, 03:39 PM
Wait, Pods used to have great reads in the outfield?

JohnBasedowYoda
04-10-2006, 03:44 PM
This is a contract year for Pods too, isn't it?

I believe so.

WizardsofOzzie
04-10-2006, 04:05 PM
i don't know about you guys, but im sick of idiots saying that we should send him down to the minors. I just don't get the logic behind that. Are we gonna send down someone everytime they go into a slump? For some reason people actually think this is a good idea. Maybe dropped in the order, but sent to AAA? Give me a freakin break

WhiteSoxFan84
04-10-2006, 04:07 PM
Nah, he's not hurting, he's just married now that's all. :D:

Jerko
04-10-2006, 04:36 PM
Don't take this the wrong way, but I kinda hope he is a little hurt. If he's playing like this and is 100% healthy, then it's all in his head, and that can take forever to correct.

sox1970
04-10-2006, 04:53 PM
He (Pods) also doesn't seem to be getting as great reads out in the outfield as he did last year. Hopefully this is all just smokescreen and he'll get back to his original status soon!

Podsednik has never been good at getting jumps. He just has good makeup speed. As soon as he doesn't have speed as part of his game, he'll be out of baseball.

IowaSox1971
04-10-2006, 07:03 PM
i don't know about you guys, but im sick of idiots saying that we should send him down to the minors. I just don't get the logic behind that. Are we gonna send down someone everytime they go into a slump? For some reason people actually think this is a good idea. Maybe dropped in the order, but sent to AAA? Give me a freakin break

He's not getting hits, he's not drawing walks, he's not advancing runners, he's making errors on routine plays in the field and he's letting opposing hitters turn singles into double by playing a horrible left field. He's not just in a slump -- it looks like he doesn't even know what he's doing out there. He's hurting the team by being out there. I believe he is hurt, and it doesn't appear that he is the type who can play well while hurt. So, he shouldn't play at the major league level until he is healthy.

The team should find out what the problem is. If he needs a few extra days of rest, give him that. If he needs to go on a Triple-A rehab assignment, send him on one. But don't just keep things as they are. He's only playing at about half speed while everybody else is at full speed. He's not ready to contribute.

South Side
04-10-2006, 08:35 PM
He's not getting hits, he's not drawing walks, he's not advancing runners, he's making errors on routine plays in the field and he's letting opposing hitters turn singles into double by playing a horrible left field. He's not just in a slump -- it looks like he doesn't even know what he's doing out there. He's hurting the team by being out there. I believe he is hurt, and it doesn't appear that he is the type who can play well while hurt. So, he shouldn't play at the major league level until he is healthy.

The team should find out what the problem is. If he needs a few extra days of rest, give him that. If he needs to go on a Triple-A rehab assignment, send him on one. But don't just keep things as they are. He's only playing at about half speed while everybody else is at full speed. He's not ready to contribute.

I am sure Ozzie and everyone are aware that he's not playing like he is suppose to. They'll handle it as they see fit. I don't think a few rough games after being injured for the better part of spring training should mean banishment. I am confident he will get it together in the next week or so and this won't even be an issue.

richb2
04-10-2006, 08:44 PM
I hope he goes 4/4 tomorrow so soem of yu people will give it a rest-it is called a slump every hitter will have one or two during the season---does he have to hit .350 all season long????????? . If the slump prolong then worry-I am sure he will comeout of it.

cbotnyse
04-10-2006, 08:48 PM
I hope he goes 4/4 tomorrow so soem of yu people will give it a rest-it is called a slump every hitter will have one or two during the season---does he have to hit .350 all season long????????? . If the slump prolong then worry-I am sure he will comeout of it.

I really hope he breaks out too, but I dont think we expect him to hit .350, just a little better than .038!!!

IowaSox1971
04-11-2006, 02:14 AM

A slump at the plate is one thing, but when a guy also is having trouble making basic plays in the outfield then it's a sign he is just not out of spring training mode yet. Podsednik had a horrible game in the field today, and I believe Ozzie even replaced him on defense in the 9th inning. No aspect of his game is working right now.

What I also worry about is that because he appears to still be in spring training mode, his reaction time is not where it should be, and that he could get seriously hurt by misjudging a line drive or sliding awkardly into a base.

Jurr
04-11-2006, 09:04 AM
Nah, he's not hurting, he's just married now that's all. :D:
Groin injury. Hmmmmmmmmm.

Flyerball
04-11-2006, 10:00 AM
I hate to even think this, but he did something very similar in Milwaukee during his second season, hitting 12 homers (as opposed to 9) the previous year, but having his average drop like a rock. The poor outfield play I have to believe is a result of just not getting on a field during spring training.

kittle545feet
04-11-2006, 11:08 AM
I really don't know if they should send him down for some at bats to get his swing down. I know they have done it for players in the past but I have to wonder if Pods would be up for something like that. His problems are starting to really hurt us and I see them as more mental things rather than problems due to lack of effort. I love Pods but he is bringing nothing to the table right now. Hopefully he turns it around this week and we can forget about the past. If not, then I think I might be in favor of some more time and at bats at AAA.:wired:

voodoochile
04-11-2006, 11:52 AM
Pods is going through his ST against real live genuine MLB starters. He is trying to get his swing against guys who are trying everything they know to keep him off base because the games matter and because they have the talent to do so.

No hanging curves from guys who will be pitching in Des Moines next month. No 85 MPH center cut fastballs from guys who are hanging on to their last hope of making it in the majors. No small breaking short arm changeups that he can bunt wherever he wants to.

It's going to take time, but unless he was a complete fluke last year, he should be fine.

Yes, to some extent it's in his head because it takes extreme confidence, timing and accuracy to hit the guys he is currently batting against. That doesn't mean he is a going to suck, just that it will take longer to get there...

slowlearner
04-11-2006, 09:21 PM
Whatever the reason, be it injury, a "lost" step, not getting the reps in ST, or any of the other million things it might or might not be; how long can a team competing in a very tough division keep a leadoff hitter around who's batting .038?

Realistically, if something hasn't changed in a week or so, they are going to have to make a change.

I have no idea what that change would be. Jerry Owens?

Hitmen77
04-12-2006, 09:58 AM
Quote from today's Trib.

Scott Podsednik is 1-for-26 (.038) through the first seven games, but there are no instant alternatives at Triple-A Charlotte. Leadoff batter Jerry Owens is 2-for-20 (.100) and Ryan Sweeney is batting .190 (4-for-21).

Looks like Owens and Sweeney are hitting just about as poorly at Charlotte as Pods is hitting here. So promoting them at this point is not an option. I think this is a reminder that anyone can start very poorly in the first 26 ABs of the season. The theory that Pods is suffering now from having too few ABs in spring training is the most plausible to me. The only concern I have is that the real problem is that he's injured. That would be a big problem for the Sox.