PDA

View Full Version : Sox Chances in 02!

nut_stock
01-20-2002, 11:40 PM
Its pretty obvious that a majority of posters on this board are predicting a Sox team that wins a weak division and promptly gets their butts kicked out of the playoffs.

Well, since this is the home of "Totally Biased Sox Coverage" I thought I'd share my BIASED opinion: I think the Sox can compete with the big boys. (Now by saying this Im still not predicting a World Series but Im not ruling it out)

Im thinking the AL Playoffs will be:
East:NY
Central: Sox
West: M's
WC: Boston

The Yanks are gonna be good but all this hype around them is driving me nuts. I still say their overrated! The Sox can match their pen this year, and our offense CAN pound lumps ON EVERYONE OF THE TEAMS LISTED! However most will argue its the Yanks string of Cy Youngs they have on their starting 5. Clemons is a stud (no question, however he's gonna start showing signs of age sooner or later). Petitte sucks! David Wells is a question mark, and Mussina while not dominating, is still good enough to be an ace on several teams. Im not sold on the Yanks running away with this thing!

Boston:
Their recent additions to their staff were nothing special, but then again there's Pedro. He's a killer but he's not quite invincible. Manny and Nomar together will propell them to a wildcard beating out the 2nd place finisher in the West.

Oakland: Hudson, Mulder, Zito. That by itself is impressive but over the course of 162 games, I think the loss of Damon and Giambi will lead to the losing of several 1-run games. Justice is not a suitable replacement in my eyes. This team would probably beat us in the playoffs but I don't think they will make it.

Seattle: Sele is gone! Much of the staff pitched over their heads! (check me on this but I think Paniagua is also gone) Boone will return to earth, AS WILL ICHIRO. They mastered that National League play last year, but we've all caught on to it by now. Somehow they will edge out the A's.

And finally your 2002 AL Central Champions! (ok some im looking past Cleveland and Minnesota, Big Deal!)

The White Sox are gonna explode offensively! Love the bullpen we'll have. Those two factors got us the division in 2000, and they will do it again.

Now to the Pitching. I am banking on Mark Buehrle, Ritchie is not spectacular but he'll keep us in the game, (hooray for the bullpen!). If Garland reaches his potential this season, LOOK OUT! We only need 3, 4 pitchers max in the playoffs, so I don't care who are #5 is. Im sure we'll end up with another adequate #4.

This is the best part. EVERYONE OF THESE TEAMS HAVE HOLES!!!! MIDSEASON TRADES WILL BE ABSOLUTELY CRITICAL, BUT AS IT STANDS, DON'T RULE OUT THE SOX JUST YET!

BE GLAD THE CARDINALS ARE IN THE NL, THE CUBS DON'T HAVE A CHANCE IN HELL!

guillen4life13
01-21-2002, 11:24 AM
I would have to agree with you, dude.

as for the NL's postseason, this is how i think it will be:

East: NYM
Central: St. Louis
West: AZ
WC: either cubs or Giants. don't count the braves or stros out though. I have a bad feeling the cubs will make the playoffs.

czalgosz
01-21-2002, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by guillen4life13
I have a bad feeling the cubs will make the playoffs.

Boy, Chicago would go nuts if both teams made it into the playoffs this year. Hasn't happened since 1906.

I can see the headline in the Trib now -

CUBS CLINCH WILD CARD!!!

Other Chicago team going to playoffs too.

doublem23
01-21-2002, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by czalgosz
Boy, Chicago would go nuts if both teams made it into the playoffs this year. Hasn't happened since 1906.

I can see the headline in the Trib now -

CUBS CLINCH WILD CARD!!!

Other Chicago team going to playoffs too.

Wow! We'd be mentioned on the Trib's front page? That's progress, I guess.

Iwritecode
01-21-2002, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
Wow! We'd be mentioned on the Trib's front page? That's progress, I guess.

You're right. He should have put:

Frontpage headline = CUBS CLINCH WILD CARD!!!

Column heading on 3rd page of sports section = Other Chicago team going to playoffs too.

duke of dorwood
01-21-2002, 02:10 PM
I predict:

Seattle will be the bomb of the year.

CerberusWG
01-21-2002, 03:00 PM
More like....

CUBS CLINCH WILD CARD; SOSA SAYS CUBS WILL WIN SERIES

And..in the classifieds, under desperate...

Some other team in Chicago won something.

voodoochile
01-21-2002, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
I predict:

Seattle will be the bomb of the year.

I have to agree. I think they played over their heads this year and the whole division will be tougher (well not the A's, but they won't be that much worse). I just think it is time for Seattle to come back to Earth.

AsInWreck
01-21-2002, 03:22 PM
I'm not worried about the cubs in the playoffs/ I still think the astros,braves and maybe phillie will have better teams this year/so the cubs signed Alou, so what? he'll be lucky to play 100 games, mcgriff isn't all that and their pitching won't be all that great this year, wood and or leiber will not perform this year, and they don't have much else in the rotation--i predict 83-85 wins for the cubs and wouldn't be suprised to see 79.

I still like to A's over Boston for the WC they should still have enough O to support their rotation which is the best in the AL

nut_stock
01-21-2002, 05:49 PM
I could see the Cubs challenging for the wild card, but its the Scrubs, so they'll do their usual september collapse