PDA

View Full Version : Home Runs this year???

cbotnyse
04-10-2006, 11:13 AM
what is up with the Sox bats this year? we are almost dead last (LA has 2, we have 3) in HR this year....we only have 3 HRs compared to Detroits 17?? I know its only 6 games in but shouldnt we be a little concerned? I mean, if we didnt have Thome we'd have zero!!!

however I love the Sox small ball style, but I'd love to see a few more long balls too!! your thoughts?

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/stats/sortable_team_stats.jsp?statType=1&timeFrame=1&groupByTeam=true&Submit=Submit&baseballScope=mlb&timeSubFrame=2006&sortByStat=HR

itsnotrequired
04-10-2006, 11:16 AM
what is up with the Sox bats this year? we are almost dead last (LA has 2, we have 3) in HR this year....we only have 3 HRs compared to Detroits 17?? I know its only 6 games in but shouldnt we be a little concerned? I mean, if we didnt have Thome we'd have zero!!!

however I love the Sox small ball style, but I'd love to see a few more long balls too!! your thoughts?

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/stats/sortable_team_stats.jsp?statType=1&timeFrame=1&groupByTeam=true&Submit=Submit&baseballScope=mlb&timeSubFrame=2006&sortByStat=HR

I have no doubt in my mind that the Sox will hit upwards of 2,000 HRs this year. However, my predictions have been wrong before...

batmanZoSo
04-10-2006, 11:19 AM
It's early?

Come on, last year's team outhomered the Red Sox and this team has everyone plus Thome.

CaptainBallz
04-10-2006, 11:23 AM

Sox can stay with 3 all year and I wouldn't care as long as they win. I really wouldn't expect everyone up and down the lineup to be going yard as much as they did last year. I'll trade timely singles for a ****load of homer anyday.

oeo
04-10-2006, 11:28 AM

They have been playing in some heavy wind conditions as of late. In the Royals series alone, I think they would have had a good 5-6 homeruns more if the wind wasn't blowing in. It's not a big deal, they will hit a good chunk of homeruns.

DaleJRFan
04-10-2006, 11:33 AM

You should stop listening to Harold Reynolds on Baseball Tonight (sorry... but he brought this up lastnight). How many of Thome's home runs were of the game-winning variety? The Sox issue isn't homeruns. They are scoring plenty of runs. THey are just giving up too many.

Chicken Dinner
04-10-2006, 11:36 AM
The entire Sox offense (with the exception of Thome) has been extremely lethargic this year. If the offense was a V8 I'd say we are only firing on 3 or 4 cylinders.

Lip Man 1
04-10-2006, 11:38 AM
Dale Jr:

In four of the six games the Sox have scored 3 runs or less. I wouldn't exactly say they are scoring 'plenty' of runs.

The offense is still a big work in progress.

Lip

DaleJRFan
04-10-2006, 12:13 PM
Dale Jr:

In four of the six games the Sox have scored 3 runs or less. I wouldn't exactly say they are scoring 'plenty' of runs.

The offense is still a big work in progress.

Lip

I see your point, but....

we'd be 6-0 if it weren't for the pullpen blowing leads in the 8th inning or Garland/Garcia giving the offense a 9 run handicap.

I'm not sure that we need a bunch of homers to "turn things around." My point was that if Konerko/Anderson/etc would make friggin contact with men on base, we'd be better off.

How about if Podsednik got on base? Jim Thome has 3 home runs and only one of them wasn't a solo shot. Thome leads the Sox with his 5 RBIs while plenty of guys have been on base for the other hitters. While Dye, AJ and Crede have been on base, Uribe and Anderson continue to make outs. To start, if BA would actually make contact (8 Ks in 18 ABs?? Yikes), we'd be better off.

All I'm saying Lip, is that I'm not 100% certain that home runs are the answer. If they are, then the guys in front of Thome and Konerko need to get on base.

But... it's the second week of a LONG season. Didn't we go through this the first week of last season too? Konerko, Dye and Rowand all got off to horrid starts and the team ended up alright.

Contreras, Vazquez, McCarthy and Buehrle have all looked really good. At least there's some positives out there, too.

batmanZoSo
04-10-2006, 12:19 PM
I see your point, but....

we'd be 6-0 if it weren't for the pullpen blowing leads in the 8th inning or Garland/Garcia giving the offense a 9 run handicap.

I'm not sure that we need a bunch of homers to "turn things around." My point was that if Konerko/Anderson/etc would make friggin contact with men on base, we'd be better off.

How about if Podsednik got on base? Jim Thome has 3 home runs and only one of them wasn't a solo shot. Thome leads the Sox with his 5 RBIs while plenty of guys have been on base for the other hitters. While Dye, AJ and Crede have been on base, Uribe and Anderson continue to make outs. To start, if BA would actually make contact (8 Ks in 18 ABs?? Yikes), we'd be better off.

All I'm saying Lip, is that I'm not 100% certain that home runs are the answer. If they are, then the guys in front of Thome and Konerko need to get on base.

But... it's the second week of a LONG season. Didn't we go through this the first week of last season too? Konerko, Dye and Rowand all got off to horrid starts and the team ended up alright.

Contreras, Vazquez, McCarthy and Buehrle have all looked really good. At least there's some positives out there, too.

Yeah, we had a very anemic offense at times last year with several guys in funks simultaneously. But the difference was we got great starting pitching every night and the bullpen would actually hold leads.

Madvora
04-10-2006, 12:21 PM
Hawk claims they're playing with a juiced ball this year too!

johnnyg83
04-10-2006, 12:22 PM
Friday and Saturday there were a buinch of shots that I thought were out off the bat, the KC wind deifnitely kept a minimum of three in play.

Hitmen77
04-10-2006, 12:25 PM
You should stop listening to Harold Reynolds on Baseball Tonight (sorry... but he brought this up lastnight). How many of Thome's home runs were of the game-winning variety? The Sox issue isn't homeruns. They are scoring plenty of runs. THey are just giving up too many.

We could be 4-2 right now if we scored plenty of runs per game.

But it's early, the HRs and rest of the offense will come around.

Chicken Dinner
04-10-2006, 12:29 PM
Hawk claims they're playing with a juiced ball this year too!

When he talks like that he makes himself sound like a total moron.

Randar68
04-10-2006, 12:32 PM
Which of these players will not reach these HR marks?

Here are the starters not including Pods:

Iguchi: 13
Thome: 40
Konerko: 40
Dye: 28
AJ: 15
Crede: 25
Uribe: 15
Anderson: 15

If they reach those numbers, all very reachable and near the low end of my expectations (except for maybe Konerko), that's 191 HR's out of just your starters. Not including Gload, Mackowiak, Ozuna, and Widger, which would probably account for another 10-20 or so HR's combined.

This team is going to be fine power-wise. It's the consistency that we need to see and Pods has GOT to find his form or the offense is going to sputter.

Steelrod
04-10-2006, 12:41 PM
We'd be 4-2 right now if we scored plenty of runs per game.

But it's early, the HRs and rest of the offense will come around.
How do you figure that! Why not 6-0! Plenlty of runs in each game!

Nellie_Fox
04-10-2006, 12:42 PM
Friday and Saturday there were a buinch of shots that I thought were out off the bat, the KC wind deifnitely kept a minimum of three in play.I was able to watch the Saturday game on WGN, and guys swinging for homers into the teeth of that gale was making me nuts. "Where's the Ozzie Ball?" I kept asking. They don't need to start hitting home runs, they need to start manufacturing runs again.

Watching Japan play outstanding fundamental baseball in the WBC, not relying on the long ball, should have taught people something. American baseball relies too much on the home run, just like American basketball relies on one-on-one and dunking, and both are slipping behind other countries who still play the games the way they're meant to be played.

soxfanatlanta
04-10-2006, 12:48 PM
Watching Japan play outstanding fundamental baseball in the WBC, not relying on the long ball, should have taught people something. American baseball relies too much on the home run, just like American basketball relies on one-on-one and dunking, and both are slipping behind other countries who still play the games the way they're meant to be played.

+1

I really think once Pods gets back on base the offence will pick up significantly. Iguchi-san will be his 2005 self by moving the SP over to scoring position, and then Thome/Konerko will have somebody on base early in the game to knock in w/o swingning for the next area code.

It all starts w/ Pods, though - but that is no suprise to anyone, eh?

Hitmen77
04-10-2006, 12:51 PM
How do you figure that! Why not 6-0! Plenlty of runs in each game!

You're right - my bad.

I was just responding to the comment from another poster that we have had "plenty" of runs per game, which you correctly point out is impossible to figure.

I guess the point I was trying to make is that I can look at the extra inning loss to the Indians and the 4-3 loss to KC as instances where our pitching wasn't horrible and some more offense could have made a difference. By contrast, I can't blame the offense for the Garcia and Garland losses. That's why I threw out 4-2 instead of 2-4.

BeefyD
04-10-2006, 01:36 PM
Other than Garcia's bad outing, the starters have all given us a chance. However, our BP has been just C-. I can understand newbies, but Politte, Jenks? I hope everyone brings back their A-game.

My only fear?? Last time Konerko re-signed, he couldn't hit his weight the first half and ended with .234 with 18 HR's.

RealMenWearBlack
04-10-2006, 01:39 PM
Didn't the Tigers have 6 or 7 homeruns in one game?

FP_sox
04-10-2006, 01:46 PM
Sox now have 4 homers! Welcome to Chicago Mr. Thome!

ode to veeck
04-10-2006, 01:47 PM
Thome was reading the thread on his blackberry and just had to respond ...

BeefyD
04-10-2006, 01:51 PM
How f'ing funny would that be if Thome really did have a blackberry in the dugout!:D:

BringBackBlkJack
04-10-2006, 02:36 PM
Make it 5!! Thanks to Joe effin' Crede!!!!

cbotnyse
04-10-2006, 02:42 PM
Make it 5!! Thanks to Joe effin' Crede!!!!

just saw that, did you hear how Hawk and DJ had no idea it was a HR??? they were about 10 seconds off an that call, it was funny

rocky biddle
04-10-2006, 03:15 PM
PK makes it 6.

Chicken Dinner
04-10-2006, 03:32 PM
Must be that Hawk juiced ball. Daaaaaaaa

gbergman
04-10-2006, 05:46 PM
love seeing 3 hrs