PDA

View Full Version : Coco Crisp fractures 2nd MCJ of left hand

The Racehorse
04-10-2006, 10:52 AM
MCJ = metacarpal-phalangeal joint

Link (http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060409&content_id=1391576&vkey=news_bos&fext=.jsp&c_id=bos)

WHDH-TV in Boston reported on Sunday evening that starting center fielder Coco Crisp could miss up to one month as the result of a broken knuckle in his left index finger.

Crisp also indicated before Sunday's 4-1 win at Baltimore that he felt an X-ray would be unnecessary.

Hey, he needs to get that thing x-rayed! Somewhere, a 1st-year x-ray student is very disappointed at not having the opportunity of radiographing his knuckle.

How can someone diagnose a fracture without an x-ray? :?:

As a radiography student, after x-raying someone's hand, no matter how obvious too me that a bone is broken, I do not tell a patient that they have a fracture, even if the patient insists that I tell them what the x-ray showed. Only a doctor can make a diagnosis. My standard reply is "Sir/Ma'am, my job is to ensure that the x-ray is of diagnostic value so that the doctor will be able to diagnose whether or not you have a fracture". :cool:

Scottiehaswheels
04-10-2006, 10:56 AM
I broke a knuckle once... It's pretty obvious when your knuckle is back by your wrist though, and your hand is swollen to about the size of an orange...

The Racehorse
04-10-2006, 11:00 AM
I broke a knuckle once... It's pretty obvious when your knuckle is back by your wrist though, and your hand is swollen to about the size of an orange...

I would have loved to have x-rayed it. :)

Scottiehaswheels
04-10-2006, 11:04 AM
I would have loved to have x-rayed it. :)

Sadist! :D: LOL trust me... didn't even get an x-ray... just had it popped back into about as good a location as possible... that finger is much shorter than the finger on the other hand because of it