PDA

View Full Version : Some thoughts

Daver
01-21-2002, 12:27 AM
From TSN's Ken Rosenthal

http://www.sportingnews.com/voices/ken_rosenthal/20020120.html

ma-gaga
01-21-2002, 11:42 AM
According to agent Scott Boras, Rangers SS Alex Rodriguez already has had lengthy chats with his new bad-boy teammates, OF Carl Everett and LHP John Rocker. "I guarantee you, there will not be a problem in that clubhouse," Boras says. "I see how players respond to (Rodriguez). He sets a tone." . . .

Anyone else cringe when they read this? I don't know if it's Boarass, or what he's saying. If it wasn't for Bud and his contraction crap, this guy would be the worst thing related to baseball...

:payrod
"I am the team leader, follow me to the bank!"

pearso66
01-21-2002, 12:54 PM
id have to agree. if rocker and everett were problems before, which they were. talking to one guy isnt gonna get them to stop being problems. especially if that player is making way more money than they are, everett wants money, and lots of it. there is no way he's gonna listen to a guy thats making more than he is

RichH55
01-22-2002, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by pearso66
id have to agree. if rocker and everett were problems before, which they were. talking to one guy isnt gonna get them to stop being problems. especially if that player is making way more money than they are, everett wants money, and lots of it. there is no way he's gonna listen to a guy thats making more than he is

Glad to see 25 million made payrod a mix of Gandi, Nelson Mandela with a little Kofi Annan for good effect
I'm surprised Boras didn't ask for a Sainthood for A-rod with the last contract

Check the incentive clauses

dougs78
01-22-2002, 09:23 PM
I'm not saying Arod is a miracle worker, but I wouldn't completely discount this notion. I think that certain players do have the ability becuase of their star power and charisma, to influence and somewhat calm other players. look at what Jordan was able to do with Rodman for a couple years. not saying Arod is MJ, but he is as close as anyone in baseball comes.

PaleHoseGeorge
01-22-2002, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by dougs78
I'm not saying Arod is a miracle worker, but I wouldn't completely discount this notion. I think that certain players do have the ability becuase of their star power and charisma, to influence and somewhat calm other players. look at what Jordan was able to do with Rodman for a couple years. not saying Arod is MJ, but he is as close as anyone in baseball comes.

Oh, how different things might be for us today if only Kenny Williams had been successful getting that private meeting with Arod at the winter meetings last December.

:reinsy
"It nearly worked when I tried to re-sign Horace Grant!"

:manos
"But what would you guys fight about at WSI, if not me and Royce?"

:hitless
"I'm taking a pass on attending SoxFest this year, thank you very much."

czalgosz
01-22-2002, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by dougs78

I would believe it if it came from anyone other than Boras. If Everett and Rocker come out and say that PayRod is an awesome clubhouse influence, then I'll believe it.

And anyway, for the amount he's getting paid, he should be doing everything but selling popcorn in the bleachers.

No, man, I'm not selling no popcorn.

dougs78
01-22-2002, 10:34 PM
I would believe it if it came from anyone other than Boras.

Agreed. I was just saying it was a possibility. I for one don't value a single word of Scott's mouth. But that doesn't mean he can't be right sometimes.