PDA

View Full Version : My report: First time at Wrigley

Reni
04-10-2006, 12:51 AM
My first experience at Wrigley? lots of drunk frat guys, racial slurs, all over abuse, though luckily I wasn't spit on......oh and the best/worst was seeing some poor guy and his girlfriend (Cardinals fans) try and walk away/escape from a guy who was walking behind them screaming in their ears at the top of his lungs......I have never seen anything like it......

all night......"***" this and "***" (language filter, I was referring to a derrogatory term for gay guys) that.....one woman called So Taguchi a "chink" and also told me my husband must have a small dick since he is a Sox fan.

I will never return, though I am sure one more Cardinals fan won't be missed. *shrug* It was likely the worst sporting experience I have ever witnessed. Oh, and speaking of witness, I couldn't even see home plate because of a pole. I watched a lot of the game on a TV attached to a pole.....I could have watched Jason Isringhausen suck ass from home, kept warm and not been been subjected to some of he worst behaved people I have ever seen.

I am still SHOCKED at the HORRIBLE behavior of Cubs fans.....I knew they were bad......but wow, even I was blown away.

regardless of a terrible loss and being swept, it was just all around painful.....especially after that grand slam, all I could think of was "I just want to go home."

Oh, I am so glad to be home and glad to be in my 2nd home next week.....Ahhhh I can't wait to get to US Cellular, and cleanse myself. I am hating living in this city right now, but I know a good trip down south will change that.

SOXintheBURGH
04-10-2006, 01:06 AM
Sounds about right.

SoxFan76
04-10-2006, 01:19 AM
I'm tellin ya, a lot of the stuff said around here isn't made up. Cub fans are an interesting bunch.

Unfortunately, I'm seeing some of these same people showing up at Sox games. It still can't compare to the Urinal though.

The Critic
04-10-2006, 01:22 AM
I'm sorry you had a bad time, but I can't say I'm surprised by any of the behavior you described.
That place is a far cry from the "Friendly Confines" they like to portray it as.
I know a few Cubs season ticket holders, and they are sickened by what they see going on there on a regular basis. One friend of mine almost gave up his tickets because of the "activities" there, but he likes going to the games too much to give them up because of the jerks.
Anyway, I hope you enjoy your time at USCF!

Reni
04-10-2006, 01:23 AM
I always have a great time at USCF!!! :D:

GOD BLESS THE SOX!!!

SoxFan76
04-10-2006, 01:27 AM
I'm tellin ya, a lot of the stuff said around here isn't made up. Cub fans are an interesting bunch.

Unfortunately, I'm seeing some of these same people showing up at Sox games. It still can't compare to the Urinal though.

Mohoney
04-10-2006, 01:59 AM
I don't understand why the ushers don't kick people out that act like that. The ticket has already been paid for (sometimes it's paid for twice), so it's not like it would cost the Cubs money.

Nellie_Fox
04-10-2006, 02:03 AM
Why did you go at all? You helped put money in the Cubs coffers, and contributed to the reputation as "Chicago's team." Stay the **** out of there.

HotelWhiteSox
04-10-2006, 02:07 AM
Wow, that's horrible, hard to believe those 'fans' are from this planet. I wonder if Gammons had similar experiences as someone had the idiotic idea to sit him in the crowd for his reporting, and he sure as hell looked uncomfortable, but then again, he's used to Boston, and I haven't heard the best from there either. I would definately give Red Sox fans a higher baseball IQ than the clowns at the northside.

The post really sums up the Wrigley experience, with the only thing missing being seeing someone get hit with a piece of falling concrete*. You should email the post to the Cubune or Mariotti or other sources of Chicago media and see their responses as they always defend their beloved Urinal and love to paint any bad picture of US Cellular they can (what did Mariotti call it, a hell hole?)

*and pee smells, ****ty food, horrible parking situation, overpriced tickets, etc etc etc.

ilsox7
04-10-2006, 03:44 AM
I don't understand why the ushers don't kick people out that act like that. The ticket has already been paid for (sometimes it's paid for twice), so it's not like it would cost the Cubs money.

They'd lose a ton of money on concessions if they kicked every foul mouthed, rude person out.

C-Dawg
04-10-2006, 05:43 AM
regardless of a terrible loss and being swept, it was just all around painful.....especially after that grand slam, all I could think of was "I just want to go home."

Grand Slam!!?!?! Oh don't tell me... Right before I went to bed I turned it over to the Cubs and saw they trailed 4-3 in the 8th. I suppose if there's any bright side to all this I didn't actually SEE the grand slam.

Oh well; I guess I'll be avoiding WXRT on the drive to work this morning.

SOXSINCE'70
04-10-2006, 06:29 AM
Grand Slam!!?!?! Oh don't tell me... Right before I went to bed I turned it over to the Cubs and saw they trailed 4-3 in the 8th. I suppose if there's any bright side to all this I didn't actually SEE the grand slam.

Oh well; I guess I'll be avoiding WXRT on the drive to work this morning.
Hope you have an AM/FM CD player player in your car.
That's a much better alternative.:cool:

Craig Grebeck
04-10-2006, 07:08 AM
I went to the Sox/Cubs series last season at Wrigley. It was fun, no bad experiences in the bleachers.

Kuzman
04-10-2006, 07:19 AM
I went to the Sox/Cubs series last season at Wrigley. It was fun, no bad experiences in the bleachers.

Was that one of the day's the Sox won?

LuvSox
04-10-2006, 07:51 AM
Why did you go at all? You helped put money in the Cubs coffers, and contributed to the reputation as "Chicago's team." Stay the **** out of there.

That's puzzling me as well.

Reni
04-10-2006, 07:56 AM

In my defense, I didn't pay for the ticket. A friend of mine from STL (who is a Cubs fan....***?) bought it. We have been going to Cards/Cubs games in St Louis for years. We have a tradition. I live in Chicago now and he wanted to come up. So, I went to cheer on my Cardinals.......though now? believe me, all the free tickets in the world couldn't get me to go back.

Jurr
04-10-2006, 07:59 AM
It's something that everyone should do once, just to see. Makes you appreciate being a Sox fan that much more. Has that "things aren't THAT bad" feel, much like visiting a mental hospital, a prison, or sitting in on an AA or NA meeting.

Reni
04-10-2006, 08:01 AM
Hahaha!!!

itsnotrequired
04-10-2006, 08:06 AM
In my defense, I didn't pay for the ticket. A friend of mine from STL (who is a Cubs fan....***?) bought it. We have been going to Cards/Cubs games in St Louis for years. We have a tradition. I live in Chicago now and he wanted to come up. So, I went to cheer on my Cardinals.......though now? believe me, all the free tickets in the world couldn't get me to go back.

I've been to Wrigley about 6 times and have never paid for a ticket. My friend's boss has season tickets and will occasionally throw some seats his way. I live only about a 20 minute walk from Wrigley so passing up a free game is pretty tough. His seats are on the first base side (under the overhang) and I have to say the fans around there are knowledgeable and well-behaved.

I've sat in the bleachers twice and will never do it again. My experiences are pretty similar to yours. Maybe I just happened to sit by some goofballs and everyone else has exemplary behavior but it doesn't seem too likely...

ChiSoxGirl
04-10-2006, 08:21 AM
My first experience at Wrigley? lots of drunk frat guys, racial slurs, all over abuse, though luckily I wasn't spit on......oh and the best/worst was seeing some poor guy and his girlfriend (Cardinals fans) try and walk away/escape from a guy who was walking behind them screaming in their ears at the top of his lungs......I have never seen anything like it......

all night......"***" this and "***" (language filter, I was referring to a derrogatory term for gay guys) that.....one woman called So Taguchi a "chink...."

This behavior sounds like what I experienced at the Ring Ceremony on Tuesday with the two guys sitting next to us (see Bandwagon thread in the Sox Clubhouse); proof enough that those losers were probably Cub fans last season. :rolleyes:

SOecks
04-10-2006, 09:24 AM

You shouldn't have to defend yourself. If you want to go to a baseball game, great. It sucks you had a bad time though. I'm a die hard Sox fan, but baseball is still baseball to me and I'll be damned if I'm going to pass up a free ticket to watch my favorite sport or feel bad about it because some people around here don't think I should.

mccoydp
04-10-2006, 09:46 AM
Unfortunately, I went to two games in that rat-infested hell-hole when I was a freshman at IIT and didn't know any better.

The first game was the Pirates v. Cubs in late 1992, and I distinctly remember taking my seat in the upper deck near the first base line only to find myself with an obstructed view and a half-eaten hot dog and fries on the floor near my seat. I asked myself "Why is there half-eaten food on the floor at the start of the game?".

The second, and last time I went to Wrigley, was the second game of the season in 1993: Cubs v. Braves. Cubs won after one-hitting the Braves. My roommate and I snuck down into seats right behind home plate after the sixth inning. I started watching baseball in late 1990/1991, and the Braves were hot; I grew up 2 hours from Atlanta, so it was logical to follow them. Anyway, my only real memory of that experience was how nasty everything was. I couldn't wait to get back to clean, sparkling New Comsikey.

SouthSide_HitMen
04-10-2006, 09:48 AM

*cough* Beer sales through the 7th after which most leave for bars *cough*

I agree drunk fans should not be served and those not respectful of those around them (swearing, fighting) should be tossed at all public events.

CaptainBallz
04-10-2006, 10:12 AM
I went to 3 games there last year (after not having gone to any since I was about 6). "Cubs games are SOOOOOO much fun" is all I ever heard, to which I would normally :rolleyes: , but I thought I should really see for myself.

Well, you know what, "**** That!"

Game #1 early May...Cold as all living Heck, but great seats behind the dugout. All I have to say is that I got the "good seats" treatment as I had to listen to two corporate divas do NOTHING but babble about afternoon meetings and conference calls until they left in the 5th inning. Granted, it was freezing and we even lkeft in the 7th, but these girls didn't even watch pitch 1 and didn't even know why they were cheering whenever their beloved Cubbies got a hit.

Game 2--July...Hot as all living heck, but really not as terrible of an experience. I really came to the conclusion that the food is horse**** at this game. Only problem during the game was the guy behind me with his 7 year old son/nephew or whatever that was so excited about sharing the Wrigley experience with the boy he wouldn't shut the heck up about every single nuance of the game, the lovely field, even telling vendors "down in front" as they were walking through the aisles. Just obnoxious.
But what really sucked was after the game when one of the guys I was with led us into Hi-Tops of all places for an after game drink. For those that have never been, imagine everything that sucks about everything and give it too much alcohol....Never again.

Game 3-- September...Cubs out of it...Me in the bleachers. Ugh! Ok, once again 90% of the folks in my direct vicinity were tolerable, to give credit where credit is due. Then "this guy" starts talking. He's having a corporate party where all his people have "awesome" seats behind the plate, but being the curious guy he is came out to the bleachers to see what it's like enjoying the game with "us people" (actual words). And yes, he meant us plebians...

Y'know I will go back w/ free tickets of course, but this nonsense really is part of the culture there. Proceed w/ caution...

Chip Z'nuff
04-10-2006, 10:16 AM
Things at Wrigley have deifnately gotten worse over the years. My friends and I used to go on adventures up north when we were kids. We would sometimes end up at the bleacher window putting up 4 bucks for a ticket and we had a pretty good time. Granted this was 1984-5-6 and there was not such thing as a wrigley field experience so for the most part we would get a whole bleacher bench all to ourselves.

Last time I was there was for a sox cubs game in 97 took my girlfriend for a nice afternoon. Hearing the trailer park, big hair, poor folk jokes was more than I could stand. We left early and have no plans on ever going back.

PatK
04-10-2006, 11:05 AM
I don't understand why the ushers don't kick people out that act like that.

Maybe because the ushers are, on the average, about 75 years old.

I went to a game the last week of the season against the Astros (the last Sunday game against them). I was amazed of the arrogance of the fans (for a 4th place team), but what got me was the rudeness.

The language being used around kids was not only despicable, but seemingly encouraged because it was used to make fun of the Astros.

Even worse was hearing some kids using the same language to taunt the Strohs, and instead of getting one upside the head, getting praised and encouraged to keep doing so.

Hitmen77
04-10-2006, 11:19 AM
Wow, that's horrible, hard to believe those 'fans' are from this planet. I wonder if Gammons had similar experiences as someone had the idiotic idea to sit him in the crowd for his reporting, and he sure as hell looked uncomfortable, but then again, he's used to Boston, and I haven't heard the best from there either. I would definately give Red Sox fans a higher baseball IQ than the clowns at the northside.

The post really sums up the Wrigley experience, with the only thing missing being seeing someone get hit with a piece of falling concrete*. You should email the post to the Cubune or Mariotti or other sources of Chicago media and see their responses as they always defend their beloved Urinal and love to paint any bad picture of US Cellular they can (what did Mariotti call it, a hell hole?)

*and pee smells, ****ty food, horrible parking situation, overpriced tickets, etc etc etc.

What bugs me is that none of this obnoxious fan behavior is ever reported in the media. Yet, they jump at any opportunity to report on bad fan behavior at the Cell.

The media, especially the Cubune, has a beautiful double standard going. Any rowdiness at Wrigley - no matter how over the line - is reported as the "passion" displayed by the "worlds greatest fans". Any rowdiness at the Cell is reported as houligans make the Cell an unsafe place for the regular fan.

I like your suggestion of sending a letter to the Cubune, but I'd bet the farm that they'll never print it. The only such letters they print are from Cub fans who like to write in about how terrible their experience was at Sox Park because of rowdy fans. Those are a slam dunk to be printed.

Chicken Dinner
04-10-2006, 11:21 AM
The only time one should go to Wrigley is when the Sox are playing there.

Viva Medias B's
04-10-2006, 11:30 AM
Reni, unless I missed it earlier, were you in the bleachers or the grandstand? I've been to The Shrine a number of times over the years and have never sat in the bleachers. Supposedly, the bleachers is where the worst of them are.

skobabe8
04-10-2006, 11:45 AM
I can completely relate to Reni's story. Sounds like what happened to Converted and I when they swept the Sox in 2004 (Damaso's infamous bases loaded walk). We were making our way back to the el and I didnt know if I was going to have to find CPD from the people all over us. Not to mention breaking my neck looking around a pole the entire time. Just a horrible baseball experience. But you'll never hear anything but praise from the so-called "experts."

RealMenWearBlack
04-10-2006, 11:51 AM
these girls didn't even watch pitch 1 and didn't even know why they were cheering whenever their beloved Cubbies got a hit.

They were cheering because everyone else was cheering, of course.

Max Power
04-10-2006, 11:51 AM
Night games there are the WORST! I've never turned down tickets to a baseball game, but I would decline if anyone offered me tickets to a night game there.
I like how it's portrayed as a family friendly place to go. Ha. In fact just the other day one of my co-workers suggested that another co-worker take his young child to a game there. I just cringed. That's about the last place I'd take my kids to.

Viva Medias B's
04-10-2006, 12:03 PM
At some point during the latter innings, didn't you notice the spectators behind home plate stand up and look at something behind them? I bet it was a fight in the stands.

LongLiveFisk
04-10-2006, 12:23 PM
I wouldn't go to Wrigley unless I got a free ticket and maybe not even then. It's too obnoxious there (especially if you're NOT a Cubs fan) and the whole parking situation sucks. And living in the sw burbs, it takes a lifetime to get home.

A big thumbs down to the Urinal.

Reni
04-10-2006, 02:40 PM
yes I am pretty sure there was a fight in the stands, though I did not see it....the whole 3rd base line / right field stood up to see it......

I was in the grandstand, far on the left field line.....still can't get over the fact I couldn't see home plate and watched half of the game on the television attached to a pole.

Let me add that I live in Rogers Park and we got to see a fight on the street while waiting for the red line at Morse......so much for "the north side is so much safer than the south" :lol

Ol' No. 2
04-10-2006, 03:07 PM

all night......"***" this and "***" (language filter, I was referring to a derrogatory term for gay guys) that.....one woman called So Taguchi a "chink" and also told me my husband must have a small dick since he is a Sox fan.

I will never return, though I am sure one more Cardinals fan won't be missed. *shrug* It was likely the worst sporting experience I have ever witnessed. Oh, and speaking of witness, I couldn't even see home plate because of a pole. I watched a lot of the game on a TV attached to a pole.....I could have watched Jason Isringhausen suck ass from home, kept warm and not been been subjected to some of he worst behaved people I have ever seen.

I am still SHOCKED at the HORRIBLE behavior of Cubs fans.....I knew they were bad......but wow, even I was blown away.

Oh, I am so glad to be home and glad to be in my 2nd home next week.....Ahhhh I can't wait to get to US Cellular, and cleanse myself. I am hating living in this city right now, but I know a good trip down south will change that.I've seen the same kind of behavior at USCF...three times a year.:angry:

I, for one, am sick of those animals, and I could easily do without those intracity games. Indians' fans, Twins' fans, you name it, they all come to USCF to see their team. They might talk a little smack, but overall they don't act like they were raised in a barn.

Ol' No. 2
04-10-2006, 03:09 PM
At some point during the latter innings, didn't you notice the spectators behind home plate stand up and look at something behind them? I bet it was a fight in the stands.Either that or a TV camera.:rolleyes:

LongLiveFisk
04-10-2006, 03:22 PM
At some point during the latter innings, didn't you notice the spectators behind home plate stand up and look at something behind them? I bet it was a fight in the stands.

Nah, they were looking at this hard-to-miss spectacle:

:woo-woo

C-Dawg
04-10-2006, 03:31 PM
I can completely relate to Reni's story. Sounds like what happened to Converted and I when they swept the Sox in 2004 (Damaso's infamous bases loaded walk).

Ugghh, I was at that game too. A horrible experience, and sadly a decent outing by MB gone to waste.

I sat in the UD next to a very drunk 20-something dude and his girlfriend, who spent the whole game either buying beer, talking on the phone, or going to the bathroom. I don't think they saw any of the game. On the other side of me was a very quiet older guy keeping score; eventually I broke the ice and struck up a conversation. Get this - he was a Sox fan! - a fact I should have realized as soon as he sat down since he seemed to be perfectly normal.

MadetoOrta
04-10-2006, 03:35 PM
I always have a great time at USCF!!! :D:

GOD BLESS THE SOX!!!

We're glad to have ya. Now, do the world a big favor, get on the Cardinals fan websites and let them know what jackasses they are.

Dan Mega
04-10-2006, 03:56 PM
Someone at work told me that someone jumped on the field yesterday but he didn't do anything. Is this true? I can't find it in print anywhere.

Had it been a fan at a Sox game, the Cubune would have 2 front page articles on it.

Reni
04-10-2006, 04:03 PM
I did not see anyone jump on the field....but then again, I couldn't see the whole field ;) haha

I posted my experience on the Cardinals Clubhouse forum, which I don't frequent too much......but a moderator locked the thread immediately and was angry at me for quoting Cubs fans expletives *shrug*

I knew you guys here would understand.

On another note, as I write this, I am sitting out on my patio, watching/listening to the Cardinals game on MLBTV......it's 65 degrees out and I am not working today! WOO! This is luxury. :D:

SOXPHILE
04-10-2006, 04:11 PM
Someone at work told me that someone jumped on the field yesterday but he didn't do anything. Is this true? I can't find it in print anywhere.

Had it been a fan at a Sox game, the Cubune would have 2 front page articles on it.

I don't know, but I did see a some brooms thrown on the field by some of the world's greatest fans in the bleachers. They showed it on ESPN during the game, made a quick mention of it and that was it. Not a peep about it in any of the Chicago media this morning that there were quite a few of those things tossed onto the field by those jackasses. Of course, we all know what would have happened if it was at U.S. Cellular.

Reni
04-10-2006, 04:40 PM
oh the outfield looked like a trash can.....there was a lot of stuff thrown on the field

PaleHoseGeorge
04-10-2006, 04:52 PM
For some reason this thread reminded me of a WSI report about "Chicago's Anti-fans" from back in 2002.

Mark Prior's debut (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=3&id=953)

See how many prophetic comments you can spot.
:cool:

Soxfanspcu11
04-10-2006, 04:59 PM

I was at the second game there last year, (the one where we were down 1-0 in the 8th and came back to win 5-3) and I experienced a little bit of crap from those losers, but mostly it wasn't bad.

Me and my friend met up with other Sox fans and started a "Let's Go White Sox" chant. I had some intelligent discussions with Cubs fans. A few jabs here and there, but nothing bad, or that I couldn't handle!:cool:

But I was in the lower reserved too, on the third base line, so who knows.
However, as someone else in this post said, there is no reason to go to Wrigley unless you are going to see the Sox play there.

chisoxfan64
04-10-2006, 05:05 PM
oh the outfield looked like a trash can.....there was a lot of stuff thrown on the field
:lynch&mcfail You couldn`t have been at the friendly confines. You must have gone to that dump on the South Side by mistake.

JohnBasedowYoda
04-10-2006, 05:38 PM
I'm not trying to defend the Cubs, their fans, or W.F. but I've had nothing but good times there. Everyone I sat next to was usually nice and friendly and took everything to heart. Granted I usually go as a Brewer fan when they're playing.

I have not yet sat in the bleachers, I'll have a report on that later.

But I do believe all the other reports.

soxfanreggie
04-10-2006, 05:57 PM
I'm going to a Flubs game on Wed...my father (a die-hard Sox fan) works for the Reds, and I also have a friend (who I haven't forgiven her for this) has season Cubs tickets and she asked me to come. If she wasn't really cute and bringing another cute friend, I would be going. However, I'm bringing my cousin (a Cards and Sox fan) with me. I'd like to see people try to yell our ears off-we're both 6'4" and 250 and don't take crap from Flubs fans. :cool:

Here's to going to Wrigley for the first time and seeing a Cubs loss!

pearso66
04-10-2006, 06:48 PM

I'm suprised it wasn't noted in the papers of the guy who "Jumped" onto the field in the first game this year. He dropped a foul ball onto the field, and flipped on accidentally trying to grab it. He was promptly excorted out of the park by security, and this was after he stayed for the rain delay.

hawkjt
04-10-2006, 06:53 PM
Reg; if some cub fan starts something with you and your cousin, make sure you finish it. But dont get thrown in the pokey.

Oh the inhumanity- what happened to the good ole days when you could go to the opposing teams park and enjoy a game, maybe some good-natured kidding, and even talk baseball with the other fans?

I think it still happens a lot but this ugly behavior gets the ink.

Guess I just love talking baseball between pitches, friend or foe.

JohnBasedowYoda
04-10-2006, 07:05 PM
Reg; if some cub fan starts something with you and your cousin, make sure you finish it. But dont get thrown in the pokey.

Oh the inhumanity- what happened to the good ole days when you could go to the opposing teams park and enjoy a game, maybe some good-natured kidding, and even talk baseball with the other fans?

I think it still happens a lot but this ugly behavior gets the ink.

Guess I just love talking baseball between pitches, friend or foe.

I blame the Red Sox fans for starting this with all that hate they'd give Yankee fans when they'd go to Fenway. After that it became fashionable to be an ass.

LongLiveFisk
04-10-2006, 07:16 PM
I blame the Red Sox fans for starting this with all that hate they'd give Yankee fans when they'd go to Fenway. After that it became fashionable to be an ass.

I'm sure the other way around was no picnic either.

Chisox1500
04-10-2006, 07:52 PM
Women and children should not be allowed at Sox-Cubs games until the situation improves.

Just last year, at Wrigley, wasted Cubs fans tried to start a fight with my brother, who is about 5'6" and my 60-year-old father. These "fans" said it would be ok if they got kicked out since they could "just go and watch the game from bars."

It's out of control in the stands. I've seen people pass out and fall down several rows and so many vicious fights that I'm stunned no one has died at one of these games.

It's funny that the only times I've been concerned for my safety at a ballgame the Cubs were involved.

Chisox003
04-10-2006, 07:55 PM
I haven't read most of the responses to this yet, but I must say, unfortunately it seems to be the same way at Sox/Cubs games even at the Cell.

I went once as a fan - Never going to do that again

I went a couple times the last few years to work, only because I know (in the past) that those games were guaranteed big money.

This year I'll reconsider. Those games are hell.

kittle42
04-10-2006, 08:17 PM
Was that one of the day's the Sox won?

Why, oh why????

viagracat
04-10-2006, 08:21 PM
Well, Pat & Ron call Cubs fans the "greatest in the world"

That was my first attempt at teal. Did I do it right? :smile:

LongLiveFisk
04-10-2006, 08:27 PM
I haven't read most of the responses to this yet, but I must say, unfortunately it seems to be the same way at Sox/Cubs games even at the Cell.

I went once as a fan - Never going to do that again

I went a couple times the last few years to work, only because I know (in the past) that those games were guaranteed big money.

This year I'll reconsider. Those games are hell.

I'm with ya. I won't go to Cubs/Sox games. I know a lot of people think I'm crazy but to me the madness is just not worth it. Hell, I went to a Cubs/Sox game way back in '89 at old Comiskey Park and people acted unbelievably foolish even then (AND THAT WAS WHEN THE GAMES WERE EXHIBITION!)

Soxfanspcu11
04-10-2006, 08:43 PM
I I've seen people pass out and fall down several rows

:?: I am confused. As a result of a fight or what??

thomas35forever
04-10-2006, 08:46 PM
Next time I go to that craphole they call a ballpark, I'm paying extra attention to what the fans have to say. Don't worry. I'll actually watch the game too.

BainesHOF
04-10-2006, 10:05 PM
It sounds like security needs to become more active at both parks. Security should be aggressive with people yelling profanities early in the game to set a tone that it won't be tolerated.

I have season tickets in the bleachers at the Cell and there's plenty of ridiculously bad behavior out there.

ilsox7
04-10-2006, 10:07 PM
It sounds like security needs to become more active at both parks. Security should be aggressive with people yelling profanities early in the game to set a tone that it won't be tolerated.

I have season tickets in the bleachers at the Cell and there's plenty of ridiculously bad behavior out there.

I witnessed plenty of atrocious behavior at a game last year sitting in the section next to the bleachers. There were 18 year olds drinking and whatnot and security barely did anything but come down and tell people to knock it off. It was pathetic.

Chisox1500
04-10-2006, 10:22 PM
I've seen people pass out and fall down several rows

At a Sox/Cubs tilt at then New Comiskey, a guy who had smuggled in a case of Miler Lite fell on top of me and a friend from about three rows above us. He hit his head pretty hard, but he deserved it. He kicked people in the row behind me and knocked me over.

When security came to get him he said, "I ate too many hot dogs." Maybe his slurred speech and alcohol drenched body odor gave him away.

Reni
04-10-2006, 10:28 PM
Women and children should not be allowed at Sox-Cubs games until the situation improves.

well in this case, you'd elimminate the person who was throwing out the racial slurs that I had to hear all night

:lol

Chisox1500
04-10-2006, 10:33 PM
Then there was the time I saw a 20 something female Cubs fan drop her shorts and relieve herself in the walkway to the parking lot. Cubs fans bringing their own Northside Chic to us uncivilized Sox fans.

Palehose13
04-10-2006, 10:36 PM

Just last year, at Wrigley, wasted Cubs fans tried to start a fight with my brother, who is about 5'6" and my 60-year-old father. These "fans" said it would be ok if they got kicked out since they could "just go and watch the game from bars."

It's out of control in the stands. I've seen people pass out and fall down several rows and so many vicious fights that I'm stunned no one has died at one of these games.

It's funny that the only times I've been concerned for my safety at a ballgame the Cubs were involved.

:?:

Me and my girls can take care of ourselves, thank you. :wink:

kittle42
04-10-2006, 10:43 PM
Then there was the time I saw a 20 something female Cubs fan drop her shorts and relieve herself in the walkway to the parking lot. Cubs fans bringing their own Northside Chic to us uncivilized Sox fans.

Personally, I enjoy when the Cub fans coming back from games decide to relieve themselves on the fence in front of my apartment, and then proceed to threaten me when I ask what in the hell they're doing.

Palehose13
04-10-2006, 10:44 PM
Personally, I enjoy when the Cub fans coming back from games decide to relieve themselves on the fence in front of my apartment, and then proceed to threaten me when I ask what in the hell they're doing.

Have you considered electric fencing? That could be fun. :cool:

Chisox1500
04-10-2006, 10:58 PM
Women and children is just a cliche more or less. But the vulgar drunken sexual banter tossed around at those games make it pretty uncomfortable when sitting next to Mom or a girlfriend.

Sox-Cubs has playoff like intensity in the stands. But it has become a frat party that gets crashed by a rival group -- not exactly a safe place for anyone.

Nellie_Fox
04-10-2006, 11:55 PM
Then there was the time I saw a 20 something female Cubs fan drop her shorts and relieve herself in the walkway to the parking lot. Just trying to help us get that lovely urine-soaked ambience in our ballpark.

CLR01
04-11-2006, 12:26 AM

That is not exclusive to Cub fans, I saw a little of that going on out in Anaheim.

chisoxfanatic
04-11-2006, 12:55 AM
I certainly am looking forward to attending the first Sox/Cubs game this year all decked out in my World Series Champions gear! :D:

That's all you've gotta do to win any argument with those fans up north. Mention the World Series, and they are rendered useless until they do it themselves (which they won't do, so we win forever).

SoxFan76
04-11-2006, 01:26 AM
Here's what I think:

The 2005 Chicago White Sox won the World Series. (:D::D::D:)

However, the price of winning has already shown (wanted to use another word...reared I believe is the correct spelling) it's ugly head. If this "winning stuff" keeps up, Sox Park will become like Wrigley. Ok, maybe not as bad because our hardcore fans outnumber their hardcore fans, and I truly believe that. We're going to have those drunk and obnoxious fans.

Ok, enlighten me now. I heard Old Comiskey was quite the party during night games. Fireworks, Nancy's organ playing, home runs, heaven on earth basically. I'd appreciate a NON-BIASED comparison between the Wrigley of 95-04 to Old Comiskey of the 80's, 70's, etc. Thanks.

Half Cocked Jack
04-11-2006, 01:48 AM
This is nothing compared to soccer games in most of the world.

MadetoOrta
04-11-2006, 08:31 AM
Here's what I think:

However, the price of winning has already shown (wanted to use another word...reared I believe is the correct spelling) it's ugly head. If this "winning stuff" keeps up, Sox Park will become like Wrigley. Ok, maybe not as bad because our hardcore fans outnumber their hardcore fans, and I truly believe that. We're going to have those drunk and obnoxious fans.

Ok, enlighten me now. I heard Old Comiskey was quite the party during night games. Fireworks, Nancy's organ playing, home runs, heaven on earth basically. I'd appreciate a NON-BIASED comparison between the Wrigley of 95-04 to Old Comiskey of the 80's, 70's, etc. Thanks.

As a youngster [high school/early college] I saw many of the same things at old Comiskey Park. The difference is at the Urinal there's a combination of arrogance, entitlement and - yes - bitterness that causes people to do in a group what they wouldn't dare do alone. Old Comiskey Park didn't have that "edge" which made it tolerable. Remember too that back then the cubune taunted and reviled Harry Caray as the saloonkeeper for the world's largest outdoor saloon. So what did the cubune do? Stole him away from the Sox and made him the saloonkeeper for their outdoor saloon.

Reni
04-11-2006, 09:51 AM
This is nothing compared to soccer games in most of the world.

This is true.

I have been to football matches throughout England.....from Newcastle to Manchester to Millwall in South London, and some of the crap I heard at Wrigley compares in vulgarity, racist crap, etc.....

My nickname (Reni) was given to me by a group of old school hooligans in Manchester......Reni The Red.

though as far as violence and drunkenness, yeah.....it is a different ball of wax. However, nowadays most of the football violence, perpetrated by hooligan firms takes place outside of the stadium. They have really cracked down. Well, in England anyway. Italy and places in South America are quite different.

Still, you couldn't pay me to return to Millwall, I was there for a project I was working on and was very glad to be out of there when it was over. That place is freakin scary.......

jdm2662
04-11-2006, 10:28 AM
Here's what I think:

I wasn't around then, but I've heard Les on his show mention on Friday nights this was common at the old park, and fights broke out on a regular basis. Bill Veeck didn't have them arrested. He just had them removed and told him, see you next week, or in somewhat in that regard. Was hard liquor served, too? I seem to remember that being mentioned. When Reinsdorf's group took over the team, he wanted a more family atmosphere and did away with the Friday night incidents. I guess this didn't please some masses, but such behavior at the park is unacceptable, and it was a good move.

It is going to take a while to get used to the "new" atmopshere at Comiskey this year. There are plenty of morons on both sides of town, and hopefully, the ones at our side will go away soon...

Reni
04-11-2006, 11:51 AM
on my way into work I was thinking about how one of the reasons violence and problems in English football has subsided within the stadiums, is because away fans are gievn their own section of the stadium. It is easier in England, obviously because of the size of the nation, to travel from game to game. Many fans travel every time their teams travels. So, away clubs are given ticket lots and are separated by police.

I don't know why I am going on about this.....I hope it never gets like that here. I doubt it would.....but man, I would have been much happier on Sunday sitting near some other Cardinals fans. I was even trying to make nice with Flubs fans around me, just to be abused.

palehozenychicty
04-11-2006, 02:14 PM
I'm sure the other way around was no picnic either.

I've been to a red sox-yankees matchup at the stadium and it is no prettier than cubs-whomever. some ugly stuff happens in the bleachers. :(:

dakuda
04-11-2006, 03:37 PM

I saw a female do that between two cars in Lot A on the second Sox game of the year this year. Then she got up and walked away. Apparently, neither car was hers. ***? There were portable toilets not too far from her.

It is not just limited to the North side.