PDA

View Full Version : New Replica Rings?

AWhiteSoxWinner
04-09-2006, 09:35 PM
I remember someone posted pics of a 2004 Red Sox replica World Champions ring that cost about $100. Has anyone heard about a plan to make replica rings that are similar looking to the real ring that White Sox fans could buy. I read that Jostens had a hand in the real rings so I don't see why they couldn't craft a replica as well in that price range. That could also explain why the rings recently passed out are not available in the gift shop.

Steelrod
04-10-2006, 05:01 AM
I remember someone posted pics of a 2004 Red Sox replica World Champions ring that cost about $100. Has anyone heard about a plan to make replica rings that are similar looking to the real ring that White Sox fans could buy. I read that Jostens had a hand in the real rings so I don't see why they couldn't craft a replica as well in that price range. That could also explain why the rings recently passed out are not available in the gift shop.
They are not in the gift shop because they were a giveaway!

BeefyD
04-10-2006, 12:32 PM
I actually emailed Jostens to see if the White Sox were going to do a fan program like the Red Sox and Patriots (Jostens did their rings as well).

From their email:
The White Sox did not want to do a fan program with Jostens. I am not
sure if they are going to offer one. You will need to contact them to
see.

Thanks
Michelle
Jostens Pro Champ Customer Service

To which I replied:
Thanks for the reply. It's a shame they are missing out on quite a bit
of revenue. Now I hope I win that raffle they are going to have. (smiley)

Michelle @ Jostens then wrote:
We tried very hard to tell them that. Don't know the reason behind it
either. Good Luck with the raffle!

So, no replicas. Oh well.

Steelrod
04-10-2006, 12:42 PM
I would also not order rings from a company that makes private business public!

ewokpelts
04-10-2006, 12:43 PM
I actually emailed Jostens to see if the White Sox were going to do a fan program like the Red Sox and Patriots (Jostens did their rings as well).

From their email:
The White Sox did not want to do a fan program with Jostens. I am not
sure if they are going to offer one. You will need to contact them to
see.

Thanks
Michelle
Jostens Pro Champ Customer Service

To which I replied:
Thanks for the reply. It's a shame they are missing out on quite a bit
of revenue. Now I hope I win that raffle they are going to have. (smiley)

Michelle @ Jostens then wrote:
We tried very hard to tell them that. Don't know the reason behind it
either. Good Luck with the raffle!

So, no replicas. Oh well.
I guess we should all email brooks and demand they look into this seriously....
Gene

scottjanssens
04-10-2006, 01:13 PM
Maybe it's not about making money. Maybe it's about keeping the authentic rings special by not flooding the area with imitations.

LongLiveFisk
04-10-2006, 01:19 PM
I guess we should all email brooks and demand they look into this seriously....
Gene

Yes, because I would definitely look into purchasing one, and I think plenty of others here would too. They probably have some reason why they aren't doing it, or maybe they'll revisit this issue in the near future. We'll see.

cbotnyse
04-10-2006, 01:20 PM
Maybe it's not about making money. Maybe it's about keeping the authentic rings special by not flooding the area with imitations.

IMO I dont think making imitations takes away from the value of the 95+ diamonds in the original...i think a good quality replica is a fine idea, if some of the proceeds went to charity, even better!

ChiSoxGirl
04-10-2006, 01:54 PM
Christine O'Reily was on White Sox Weekly with Chris Rongey on Saturday morning talking about the ring raffle that starts on Friday, and she said there were exact replicas made, but for display only. She said they're on display at the ballpark so fans can get an up-close look at what they look like, but of course I don't remember where she said they're located. :redface: These replicas sound like something I'd buy in a second if they made them available to the public- cubic zirconia instead of diamonds, imitation black onyx, "#1 Fan" engraved where the player's last name was engraved, and "World Series Champions, 11-1" engraved on the other side.

I really wish they'd make these because I'd not only buy, but wear one in a second!

The Critic
04-10-2006, 02:24 PM
I guess I just don't understand why this is the one piece of memorabilia they wouldn't produce. I mean, there's "cheap" championship stuff all over the place - shot glasses, keychains, etc etc etc, but to not produce a quality replica ring for fans to remember/celebrate something 88 years in the making is something I just don't get.

skottyj242
04-10-2006, 03:39 PM
Maybe we're all going to get them at COTC.

BainesHOF
04-10-2006, 05:04 PM

My guess is this is probably the reason.

HotelWhiteSox
04-10-2006, 06:15 PM
The only thing I can think of is wanting people go to Ring Day (I asked in the offseason and they said none for sale)? I am happy, but if you want one or are wondering, the best bet is probably to email Brooks and ask him, he's always responded to me, and demand might make it happen

Realist
04-10-2006, 06:41 PM
If enough people pester the Sox with requests for high quality replica rings like the ones the Red Sox offered (http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/bos/fan_forum/rings.jsp), they'll make 'em available. We've either already bought up or are in the process of buying up all that they've offered.

The ones made available to Red Sox fans did absolutely zero to diminish the prestige of their authentic rings. The same effect would be had by high quality replica rings provided for purchase by the White Sox.

MarySwiss
04-10-2006, 07:37 PM
When the Bulls won their first three titles, I was at each of the following season openers. Rings were given out, and I got mine. But IIRC, they also made the replicas available (later) in the souvenir shop.

Maybe the Sox will do the same? We can but hope. The Bulls rings were actually pretty nice; Jostens has been in business forever and knows what they're doing.

cbotnyse
04-10-2006, 07:52 PM
I too hope there are replicas made.....is it common for champion teams (of any sport) to do this?

ws05champs
04-10-2006, 07:59 PM
Christine O'Reily was on White Sox Weekly with Chris Rongey on Saturday morning talking about the ring raffle that starts on Friday

Perhaps this is another reason why they are not offering high quality replicas - yet. If they offered such rings now, there might be less incentive for people to take part in the raffle. My hope is that after the raffle they may offer the replicas. After all they have already produced them for the raffle props.

AWhiteSoxWinner
04-10-2006, 09:39 PM
Hey BeefyD...my dad and I really enjoyed your You Tube vids of the opener. You shot of the flyover was incredible!

BeefyD
04-10-2006, 09:56 PM
Hey BeefyD...my dad and I really enjoyed your You Tube vids of the opener. You shot of the flyover was incredible!

Thanks for the props!!! There were many nice vids of the opener (and some of the ring ceremony) on youtube. If you weren't there, we tried to make sure you didn't miss it! :D: