PDA

View Full Version : Hawk sounds more passionate...

mike squires
04-09-2006, 05:53 PM
than in a long time. He seems more into it. Anyone else see this or I guess hear it?

Edward
04-09-2006, 06:00 PM
yeah i definitely notice it, he just seems more pumped up and excited when making calls this year.

WinOrDyeTrying
04-09-2006, 06:18 PM
Yeah, instead of a Konerko "Just missed it", its now "He juuuuusst missed it"

RedHeadPaleHoser
How can he not? He witnessed an unbelievable season, he's been here as long as Reinsdorf(just about), he got a WS ring (ring, watch, pendant, oven mitts, etc) and he's watching a BETTER team go at it again.

Hell, I'm excited too..every game, because they're never "out of it".

samram
Hawk always gets more excited when the Sox are trying to break out of a slump.

Edward
04-09-2006, 06:25 PM
Hawk always gets more excited when the Sox are trying to break out of a slump.

And he hasn't been on the mic for a SOX winner this season, that is until today.

esbrechtel
04-09-2006, 06:37 PM
mercy!!!!!!

bayzbol44
04-09-2006, 07:54 PM
This guy makes excuses for the White Sox all the time. I still think he is horrible. This is just my humble opinion.

TomBradley72
04-09-2006, 07:55 PM
This guy makes excuses for the White Sox all the time. I still think he is horrible. This is just my humble opinion.

Booooooooooooo! :angry:

Chisox003
04-09-2006, 07:58 PM
:rolleyes:

Hawk definitely sounds different this year, and in a good way.

When Crede made those 2 plays today I thought he was going to come through my TV screen. Definitely made it more exciting.

To Hawk and DJ ..... yyyyyeeeesssss!! :gulp:

scottyl
04-09-2006, 07:59 PM

Sorry I have to disagree in the strongest fashion. You wrong!

Hawk rules.

Hawk...yeeesss!!!

sox_fan_forever
04-09-2006, 07:59 PM
I have to say, now that I am stuck at school and usually have to listen to Farmer and Singleton on the radio, I have found a new appreciation for Hawk and DJ.

Revolution29
04-09-2006, 08:01 PM
I've got to be honest. Even DJ sounds half way decent this year. His "WHAT?" when Jenks gave up that homer in the 9th was priceless. He seems to be much more at ease this year than other years.

HotelWhiteSox
04-09-2006, 08:02 PM

Rough year of broadcasting for Sox fans this year :(: The radio team is now borderline embarassing. Hawk doesn't bother me as much now, maybe because he's the only option, though I sometimes hit up visiting announcers on MLB Gameday Audio, but the delay kind of ruins that

bayzbol44
04-09-2006, 08:03 PM
Sorry I have to disagree in the strongest fashion. You wrong!

Hawk rules.

Hawk...yeeesss!!!

Yep, you are a Hawk fan. I can tell with the great reply.

veeter
04-09-2006, 08:07 PM
This guy makes excuses for the White Sox all the time. I still think he is horrible. This is just my humble opinion. I understand how some guys don't like him. I happen to really like the guy. His repetitive stories of Sam MacDowell, 'pitching being the first line of defense' and 'don't tell me how many you hit, but when you hit them', over and over every year does get old, though. But you have to love his real passion for the Sox.

bayzbol44
04-09-2006, 08:11 PM
I understand how some guys don't like him. I happen to really like the guy. His repetitive stories of Sam MacDowell, 'pitching being the first line of defense' and 'don't tell me how many you hit, but when you hit them', over and over every year does get old, though. But you have to love his real passion for the Sox.

Thanks for having an open mind, unlike some other Hawkaroo die hards. The problem I have is that his passion interferes most of the time with being honest with the baseball fans on certain plays the Sox screw up on. I am just a fan of professional announcers who are honest with their fans. I don't want a HUGE fan as an announcer. I want someone who gets excited when they win, but come on stop being a homer. I am a fan of announcers like Steve Stone.

NardiWasHere
04-09-2006, 08:17 PM
People get pissed when someone in the newspaper or the radio says something that MIGHT be taken as insulting to the Sox. Yet people complain that Hawk is a homer.

:?:

Don't get it.

MUsoxfan
04-09-2006, 08:21 PM
People get pissed when someone in the newspaper or the radio says something that MIGHT be taken as insulting to the Sox. Yet people complain that Hawk is a homer.

Don't get it.

I'm with you. I like having a big homer as our announcer. He calls a spade a spade though. It's not like he ever says the Sox are 100% right on everything.

Mercy!
04-09-2006, 08:32 PM
I am by no means a Hawk basher, but it's going to be a looong season if every single fly ball off the Sox bats that nears the warning track is accompanied by

Stretch.....Get on back there

It was fun last year, but what was an occasional call has become an obligatory Hawkism. I wish he'd cut back on it.

And I tuned in today for the first time to Farmer and Singleton. Mercy! You guys weren't lying. I could only hang in there for 15 minutes before I bailed out. From my very limited hearing, I blame the majority of the mess on Farmer. He is simply overbearing towards the younger man. There's something almost mean-spirited about it, as if Farmer is so insecure he can't stand for Chris to have a chance at succeeding.

veeter
04-09-2006, 08:38 PM

Don't get it.This is a great post, because I am one of those guys who hates the writers in this town. The guys in the trib who cover the Sox, Mark Gonzales and Dave Van DICK, love when the Sox lose and play bad. It clearly comes out in their writing. So Hawk is an unabashed homer that makes me feel good. He's like comfort food. The Sox deserve their butts kissed, they're the champs for God's sake.

batmanZoSo
04-09-2006, 08:40 PM
Yep, you are a Hawk fan. I can tell with the great reply.

Really? Explain how. :?: :D:

TornLabrum
04-09-2006, 08:40 PM
I would note that the tradition of home broadcasts in Chicago is that the announcers are homers. Period. Even Harry and Jimmy were homers in their own way.

batmanZoSo
04-09-2006, 08:52 PM
I would note that the tradition of home broadcasts in Chicago is that the announcers are homers. Period. Even Harry and Jimmy were homers in their own way.

I enjoy it that way, it's more fun. You feel the announcer is going through what you are. I wouldn't want Vin Scully to bore me to death with "objectivity." :rolleyes:

The only problem I have with Hawk is that he really oozes the doom and gloom when things aren't going right and it doesn't help at all lol. He is captain bringdown at times.

SoxFan76
04-09-2006, 09:01 PM
Listening to the Cubs game the other day really made me appreciate Hawk and DJ more. This is why:

When there is a close play, at first, home, whatever, Hawk may be extremely upset at first. However, after seeing the replay they will be the first to say "Good call by the umpire right there. It was a close play and they got it right, they almost always do."

What do I hear from Cub announcers? (And this was before the 2 clowns now, Chip did it too) "Wow I don't know about that call. Questionable call right there, yadda yadda yadda we're the freakin Chicago Cubs. Everything has to go our way. We're America's team because our colors are red and blue.*"

*Yes, I've heard that from Cub fans. They're America's team because of their colors. It was mean't to be! :rolleyes:

hawkjt
04-09-2006, 09:07 PM
him, you cannot deny the influence hawk has had on broadcasters thru out the league. I just heard Jon Miller on the cubs game talk about Edmonds
''ducksnort'' base hit.

I have heard many other hawkisms more and more on baseball tonite and other broadcasters- yesssss! is a trademark.

Now whether that is a good influence or bad is debatable. But I personally think the more color you can get in the increasingly homogenized baseball broadcasting community the better. This just county hardball after all.

santo=dorf
04-09-2006, 09:07 PM

Don't get it.
I like Hawk too, but last year he was going way off on a limb saying he'd take Crede and Uribe over A-Rod and Jeter and that our ballpark is one of the best of the "new" ballparks.

lumpyspun
04-09-2006, 09:26 PM
him, you cannot deny the influence hawk has had on broadcasters thru out the league. I just heard Jon Miller on the cubs game talk about Edmonds
''ducksnort'' base hit.

Jon Miller is in heaven right now doing the Cards game because he can say "Taguchi" all night long and actually be pronouncing that name correctly.

You are also correct that his Hawkisms are catchy...my girlfriend had never even known who Hawk was until she was forced to watch Sox games on the extra innings package...now, when she is watching her Mariners play I hear her yelling after a Sexson homerun, "You can put it on the boaaaarddd yessss!" She has even been known to throw out a few "he gawns."

SoXPriDe33
04-09-2006, 09:59 PM
I think because of Farmer and Singleton and me being forced to listen to them during day games on the way home from school that even DJ is a lot better this year. I've always like Hawk and think this year he is even more passionate in calling games.

jongarlandlover
04-09-2006, 10:16 PM
I have to say, now that I am stuck at school and usually have to listen to Farmer and Singleton on the radio, I have found a new appreciation for Hawk and DJ.

Farmer and Singleton would make anyone appreciate Hawk and DJ more. They're awful!

TornLabrum
04-09-2006, 10:25 PM
Even without Chris Singleton to compare with, I have to give DJ credit. He's become very good at what he does, and you have to love Hawk's renewed enthusiasm.

Why, oh, why did Dave Wills have to move to Florida??????

SouthSide_HitMen
04-09-2006, 10:50 PM
In the past I would listen to Rooney and Farmer and watch the muted TV. Now I listen to Hawk and DJ for games broadcast over the air. I think DJ has more confidence this year and they are working better as a pair. They should just let Farmer ramble the entire broadcast. When Chris Singleton speaks he makes it worse - speaking at the wrong time and not adding anything to the broadcast. At times Farmer tries to help and at times it seems Farmer is losing his patience.

Several times Farmer I've heard Farmer ask him a question (helping Singleton out to give him an opening) and Singleton gets defensive and has actually responded by saying "Why do / did you ask?". I really hope the White Sox are considering Dave Wills for next year with Farmeo moving back to his analyst role. Wills will have two years of PBP experience and should be able to keep Farmer in line. I am not one of those who hates Farmer. I like Farmer at times and I think he adds to the broadcast when discussing pitching and other aspects of the game. I don't like when he spends a half of inning bitching about the travel plans or a night game on get away day. You're paid hundreds of thousands of dollars to watch a ballgame - get over yourself.

I enjoyed the Saturday telecast, the first of the year for me, and I hope to hear the new and improved (or at least better than radio) team of Hawk and DJ.

Chisox003
04-09-2006, 10:58 PM
Even without Chris Singleton to compare with, I have to give DJ credit. He's become very good at what he does, and you have to love Hawk's renewed enthusiasm.

It seems as though DJ has really just relaxed in the booth

In years past, it was almost as if he was afraid to say something, and every so often would say something (or do something) completely off the wall.

Now he's just goofy all the time, and Hawk is really into every game so far. I've liked them since DJ has come aboard, but this year they seem, I dunno....good?

:moonwalk:

fusillirob1983
04-10-2006, 12:13 AM
''ducksnort'' base hit.

I don't think Hawk created "ducksnort", although it does seem he's influenced some other broadcasters a little bit.

lumpyspun
04-10-2006, 12:21 AM
I don't think Hawk created "ducksnort", although it does seem he's influenced some other broadcasters a little bit.

this is random from the creator of http://ducksnorts.com/blog/ :

What's a "ducksnort"?
A ducksnort is a bloop hit that falls untouched between the infielders and outfielders.
Why "Ducksnorts"?
I heard Ken Harrelson and Tom Paciorek use the term during a White Sox telecast on WGN some years ago and thought it sounded funny. Also, it fit well with my vision of a web site providing information that fell between the cracks of mainstream media outlets.
But Ducksnorts is a blog about the Padres; what's up with that?
Ducksnorts didn't begin as a Padres-centric web site. That focus evolved over time.

Jjav829
04-10-2006, 12:24 AM
I like Hawk too, but last year he was going way off on a limb saying he'd take Crede and Uribe over A-Rod and Jeter and that our ballpark is one of the best of the "new" ballparks.

:hawk
"Where's he gonna play?"

goon
04-10-2006, 01:07 AM

defensively i would without a doubt, as i would take them over jeter and alex as far as "likeability" if that makes any sense... i couldn't really see myself pulling for rodriguez or jeter. offensively though, the yankee combo is just too productive.

the one thing i do like about US Cellular Field is the fact that the avoided the amusement park trend that most of the new baseball park seem to offer. i can't find too many things to complain about, it's traditional, yet there is plenty of room to move around and the seating is spacious unlike places like wrigley and fenway. the food is great, the shops are great, plenty of entertainment, but it never distracts you from the actual game, which is nice... i think.

TheOldRoman
04-10-2006, 01:29 AM
About Crede and Uribe over A-Rod and Jeter, I agree 100%. A-Rod is obviously a great hitter, and Jeter is a very good hitter. However, Crede is better than A-Rod at third, and Uribe is LIGHT YEARS ahead of Jeter at short. Uribe saves countless hits a year, while Jeter and his lack of range turn routine outs into hits on a regular basis. But I thought he won a gold glove?

Another huge aspect of Crede is his ability in the clutch. I don't know that there is another Sox hitter I would rather see at the plate with the game on the line. Clutch doesn't show up on the stat sheet. A-Rod, on the other hand, is horrible in the clutch. Look at his last two playoff series numbers for proof. Crede is also a great guy; a team player. A-Rod, on the other hand, is a whiney so and so. Besides that, I think Crede has a huge upside; while he won't ever match A-Rod's numbers, he will continue to improve.

Money is the biggest factor. A-Rod makes $25 million a year, and Jeter makes probably 5 times his worth ($20 mil). Crede and Uribe combined make around $6mil. I would rather have Crede, Uribe, and the extra $39 million to spend on four aces.

goon
04-10-2006, 02:12 AM
great analysis.

Madvora
04-10-2006, 09:05 AM
I've notice the Hawk excitement factor up too. He especially loves Thome and I mean he LOVES that guy.

EastCoastSoxFan
04-10-2006, 11:18 AM
I only caught the highlights of the game last night, but after Hawk's "BRILLIANT" call, I swear I was half-expecting DJ to offer him a tall glass of Guinness...

Steelrod
04-10-2006, 11:57 AM
Hawk can be very good when he wants to be. The problem is he rarely is in the mood.

spawn
04-10-2006, 12:08 PM
I've always thought that DJ qwould grow into the role. You don't become a good color analyst over night. And you can tell he's been working on getting better. And Hawk does seem to have more energy this year.

The radio booth...I never liked Farmer as a play-by-play man when he would give Rooney a break. He's plain awful. I want to stick a pencil in my eye everytime he speaks. Not a lot of energy unless something good happens. And this is Singleton's first year in the booth. I didn't think he'd be that good. The expectations for him shouldn't be very high. He'll need a few years.

goon
04-10-2006, 12:10 PM
sorry to bring up anything about espn, but on the introduction to sportscenter, i mean the very beginning where they show like the three highlights super sped up before they go into the long introduction they had the crede's catch and hawk's call, "JOE CREDE... BRILLIANT!" i guess hawk's been watching a bit too much of the premiership.

Uncle_Patrick
04-10-2006, 12:18 PM
I generally like Hawk and DJ. It sounds to me like their chemistry is improving. They seem to be working together better. Hawk being a homer I don't mind. Its when he starts making excuses that I get mildly annoyed.

Singleton and Farmer, on the other had, seem to have zero chemistry. Farmer sounds like he has very little respect for Singleton. And Singleton...would be ok...if he didn't...constantly pause...mid sentence...everytime he speaks... Sometimes I feel like I'm listening to Stevie from "Malcolm In The Middle", except without the heavy breathing. Anyway, I'm hoping they get better (maybe as Singleton gets more comfortable they will improve). Its not as if they are totally unlistenable. I mean, Singleton is still better than Ron Santo.

SOecks
04-10-2006, 12:27 PM
I generally like Hawk and DJ. It sounds to me like their chemistry is improving. They seem to be working together better. Hawk being a homer I don't mind. Its when he starts making excuses that I get mildly annoyed.

Singleton and Farmer, on the other had, seem to have zero chemistry. Farmer sounds like he has very little respect for Singleton. And Singleton...would be ok...if he didn't...constantly pause...mid sentence...everytime he speaks... Sometimes I feel like I'm listening to Stevie from "Malcolm In The Middle", except without the heavy breathing. Anyway, I'm hoping they get better (maybe as Singleton gets more comfortable they will improve). Its not as if they are totally unlistenable. I mean, Singleton is still better than Ron Santo.

My problem is this. Hawk and DJ are much better than they were in their first couple of years (and much better this year than ever) but in the begginning they were still listenable. Farmer and Singleton are absolutely brutal. Even if they get a ton better, I still think they'll be bad. Plus, I don't want to wait 4 years for them to improve from horrendous to just "pretty bad". They need to cut their losses ASAP. Someone needs to step in and make a change or kick them both in the ass to improve FAST.

batmanZoSo
04-10-2006, 12:29 PM

:flameswing
And the Sox...

Come back with a run here...

In the sixth inning.

Jim Thome...

With the RBI double. Ties this game at 3.

:farmer
Saturday, April 22nd is fireworks night at U.S. Cellular field. Please, come out and j...and there's a WILD pitch...

:flameswing

Did you see the replay on that one?

:farmer

It's kind of hard for the audience to see the replay with no TV.

SOecks
04-10-2006, 12:41 PM
Batman, is it more sad or funny that I don't know if that's an actual recap or something you made up? Good stuff either way though.

redsand22
04-10-2006, 01:34 PM
Batman, is it more sad or funny that I don't know if that's an actual recap or something you made up? Good stuff either way though.

Sadly enough it's an actual recap. :?:

batmanZoSo
04-10-2006, 01:39 PM
It's a composite mostly. A lot of the dialogue actually happened, though it was embellished somewhat for comedy and flow. :D:

miker
04-10-2006, 02:17 PM
Rough year of broadcasting for Sox fans this year :(:
Who's up for a trip down to Tampa to capture and reclaim one Mr. Dave Wills?

TheOldRoman
04-10-2006, 02:33 PM
Who's up for a trip down to Tampa to capture and reclaim one Mr. Dave Wills?
Im in, but only if we drive there in a van with a tapped keg in the back.:D:
Willsy checks WSI. Maybe if we just ask him nicely...

Jjav829
04-10-2006, 02:56 PM
I finally listened to Singleton and Farmio for an extended period of time today. Wow, uhhh.....geez........where to begin....

It's as bad as everyone has said it is, and batman's post is spot on. They talk over each other. They don't have any chemistry and Singleton just says the same thing over and over. I had the great fortune of hearing Singleton do PBP. :cower: I was half expecting him to say "And boom goes the dynamite," and half expecting to fall asleep, though I didn't know which would happen first.

Thank God for XM. At least if I have to be forced to listen to the radio, I can listen to the other team's announcers for road games. I feel bad for those of you who rely on the radio.

batmanZoSo
04-10-2006, 03:08 PM
I finally listened to Singleton and Farmio for an extended period of time today. Wow, uhhh.....geez........where to begin....

It's as bad as everyone has said it is, and batman's post is spot on. They talk over each other. They don't have any chemistry and Singleton just says the same thing over and over. I had the great fortune of hearing Singleton do PBP. :cower: I was half expecting him to say "And boom goes the dynamite," and half expecting to fall asleep, though I didn't know which would happen first.

Thank God for XM. At least if I have to be forced to listen to the radio, I can listen to the other team's announcers for road games. I feel bad for those of you who rely on the radio.

Comparing Singleton to the "boom goes the dynamite" kid...
:roflmao:

Chisox003
04-10-2006, 03:11 PM
I was half expecting him to say "And boom goes the dynamite," :rolling::rolling:

Edit: Ah, I see Batman has beat me to it. I stand by my laughter.

TornLabrum
04-10-2006, 06:34 PM
Ducksnort is, afaik, a Hawk-invented euphemism for the more common baseball term "duck fart."

SBSoxFan
04-10-2006, 07:06 PM
And Singleton...would be ok...if he didn't...constantly pause...mid sentence...everytime he speaks...
I've noticed that too. It sounds like he's always searching for exactly the right word to say instead of just letting it flow. His PBP, however, is pretty bad. When the Royals had the 2-run double off Vazquez, I had no idea what was going on.

SBSoxFan
04-10-2006, 07:10 PM
Ducksnort is, afaik, a Hawk-invented euphemism for the more common baseball term "duck fart."
Didn't it used to be a texas leaguer? Because the parks in the Texas league were so big, that a lot of popups would fall between the infielders and outfielders.

SBSoxFan
04-10-2006, 07:12 PM
If Dave Wills was doing Sox radio, how many here would be complaining that he's a homer? On a side note, I do like Chris Rongey more than Brian Dullgin.

WinOrDyeTrying
04-10-2006, 07:46 PM
Here is the ultimate question: Does Ozzie make a better manager, or would he make a better color commentater?

Flyerball
04-12-2006, 05:34 PM
Where Rooney and Farmer seemed to like each other and had a fairly consistent and sometimes charming banter that helped move the more boring games along. Singleton and Farmer manage to take an exciting game and turn it boring. Rooney, by the way, is doing a great job with Mike Shannon in St. Louis. It's a shame they broke up that pair.

TornLabrum
04-12-2006, 07:48 PM
Who can turn the world off with one word?
Who can call a great ball game and suddenly make it all seem absurd?
Why it's you, Chris, and you should know it.
With each breath and every little word you show it.
You just bore us all. Hey what's the matter?
You put us to sleep with numbing chatter.
You're gonna bore us all to tears!

mike squires
04-12-2006, 11:10 PM
Who can turn the world off with one word?
Who can call a great ball game and suddenly make it all seem absurd?
Why it's you, Chris, and you should know it.
With each breath and every little word you show it.
You just bore us all. Hey what's the matter?
You put us to sleep with numbing chatter.

Come on hal. Tell us how you really feel!