04-09-2006, 03:31 PM
Phew!

Chrisaway
04-09-2006, 03:32 PM
"YESSS JOE CREDE BRILLIANT!!!" HAHAHAHA

Hawk is in midseason form.

Uncle_Patrick
Awesome! Let's hope this is the start of something good!

:supernana:

DSpivack
Life slowly returns back to normal.

gbergman
Awesome, great job crede

NDSox12
Lots of positives on the pitching/defense end of things today. Mark Buehrle showed why he is the ace of the staff. Joe Crede came up huge in the 9th. Also, despite giving up some rockets, I think we can quit worrying about Jenks' velocity.

gobears1987
Mark Buehrle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hagan
04-09-2006, 03:33 PM
very nice game all around by the sox today!

Cuck the Fubs
Amazing things happen when you run out your "real" starting 9 huh?:D:

samram
Great outing by MB and great defense by Crede in the ninth. The starting pitching is going to come around real soon, I think. Time for the offense to get a hit with runners in scoring position.

Ol' No. 2
Jenks got taken deep. Not a good sign.
:darkcloud:

Chrisaway
I knew Bobby was holding back in spring.

Corlose 15
04-09-2006, 03:34 PM
When Bobby is ahead in the count he's brutal.

Buehrle was outstanding, he'll probably need the extra day off after taking a few off the body. Crede was great as well. This team still needs to break games like this open. A couple wasted opportunities.

BeviBall!
This is huge going to Detroit... where our HR drought should continue. Back to dominating defense/pitching! But... we really need someone else to go big fly besides JT.

Blob
:hawk

"YYYYEEESSSSS, JOE CREDE!!! BRILLIANT!!!"

Dan Mega
Solid defense and pitching today. Timely hitting gets it done. Another bomb by Thome.

This is the Sox I saw last year.

TornLabrum
Now to go after the Tigers and put them back in the standings where they belong....

Brian26
Also, despite giving up some rockets, I think we can quit worrying about Jenks' velocity.

I don't know...I'm still a little skeptical, especially when Hawk rather conveniently mentioned "that one was clocked at 100 here on the board."

Edward
04-09-2006, 03:35 PM
If it wasnt for Crede the outcome could have been much different. I definately glad i don't have to decide the winning PTC. Tough choice.

Layla
Here's to the start of something big....

Excellent pitching by Buehrle.

Excellent defense by Crede.

BTW, anyone think Jenks "chin music" to Sweeney was, um, non accidential?

Chisox003
Now THAT's White Sox baseball

Defense

Pitching

Much better

DumpJerry
04-09-2006, 03:36 PM
Listened on the radio. Froemming needs to get fired.

MarySwiss
Tough to call the Pick to Click today. Buehrle was awesome, but Crede was amazing.

As for me, I am taking to my bed until late October 2006. I simply cannot TAKE another one of these seasons! Somebody let me know how it all comes out, so I can go collect on my bets. :D:

Ol' No. 2
Amazing things happen when you run out your "real" starting 9 huh?:D:Yeah. That's really the reason they won.:rolleyes:

NDSox12
04-09-2006, 03:37 PM

I agree he is a terrible umpire. But in his defense, there was no way he could have seen that from behind the play. What he should have done was looked for help from the second base umpire right away.

itsnotrequired
Now to go after the Tigers and put them back in the standings where they belong....

As long as the Tigers cool off. Shelton certainly has. 0-4 so far today with 3 Ks.

Ol' No. 2
Listened on the radio. Froemming needs to get fired.At least they split up him and Wendelstadt. Is the pimple still umpiring?

SectionBNole
Crede's glove is unreal!

Brian26
04-09-2006, 03:38 PM
At least they split up him and Wendelstadt. Is the pimple still umpiring?

Did they? I was curious if Wendelstedt was still on the same crew.

batmanZoSo
04-09-2006, 03:39 PM
Second time through the rotation. Good start.

I heart Buehrle.

oeo
If Crede performs like this all year, and gets screwed out of the Gold Glove once again, I don't know what I'm going to say...

cbone
Great game! Crede and Buehrle outstanding. Let's see Pods get it together and we're right back on track. :gulp:

MarySwiss

Sorry to disagree, Dump, but once he heard from the other umps, he reversed his call. As he should have.

I don't like him either, but he could have been an ******* and insisted that his call was the right one. And since he's the crew chief, I believe--but am not sure, anybody?--his call would have stood.

Dibbs
04-09-2006, 03:40 PM

Right when I saw the lineup I knew we would win today.

russ99
04-09-2006, 03:40 PM
This is the Sox I saw last year.

Except Pods can't seem to get any hits - an .045 average?!? Ick!

IggyD
04-09-2006, 03:41 PM
That was a great finish...we are well on our way to 158-4

oeo
04-09-2006, 03:41 PM
Sorry to disagree, Dump, but once he heard from the other umps, he reversed his call. As he should have.

I don't like him either, but he could have been an ******* and insisted that his call was the right one. And since he's the crew chief, I believe--but am not sure, anybody?--his call would have stood.

Even if he did reverse the call, he's still one of the worst umpires in MLB. I can't believe he still has a job...at least he's not still on the same crew as Wendelstedt. Two guys that love to screw the Sox.

SouthSide_HitMen
04-09-2006, 03:42 PM
Great win. I think Garcia will be ready in one or two more starts (due to lack of work in Spring Training when he went to Bud's WBC) and Garland will bounce back and we will be looking like last season's team when some of the bats begin to come alive.

Now it is time to watch the end of what is looking to be a great Master's Final Round!

IggyD
04-09-2006, 03:43 PM
Except Pods can't seem to get any hits - an .045 average?!? Ick!

He really didn't have a spring training this year...maybe after 29 gms or so he'll be back in the swing of things...

Layla
04-09-2006, 03:44 PM
My husband kept clicking back and forth...

White Sox. Masters. White Sox. Masters.

Drove me crazy.

SoxSpeed22
04-09-2006, 03:46 PM
Just what is necessary to put us back on track, Buehrle and co. get it done. Let's shut Detroit up with a sweep, starting Monday.

infohawk
04-09-2006, 03:47 PM
Jenks got taken deep. Not a good sign.
:darkcloud:

Ha! Even though your post was sarcastic, I was waiting for someone to complain about Bobby!!! I'll tell you what, if Bobby can ever master command of his breaking ball, he will be every bit as good and consistent as Eric Gagne in his prime. The only hope hitters have against him is to sit on his fastball and hope to square one up. If they have to realistically worry about that breaking ball, good morning, good afternoon and goodnight!!!

PicktoCLick72
04-09-2006, 03:48 PM
That is more like it.

infohawk
04-09-2006, 03:48 PM
Solid defense and pitching today. Timely hitting gets it done. Another bomb by Thome.

This is the Sox I saw last year. Yep, but for our collective sanity and well-being, I hope this year's model will score more runs on a regular basis!!! I'd forgotten how gut-wrenching these one and two run games are.

Ol' No. 2
04-09-2006, 03:49 PM
Anyone hear a distance on Thome's bomb? That had to be another 440 footer.

Brian26
04-09-2006, 03:50 PM
Hawk sporting the World Series ring on his right pinky. Nice. :thumbsup:

The Racehorse
04-09-2006, 03:51 PM
Hopefully, today is the start of one of those somber-like winning streaks.

flo-B-flo
04-09-2006, 03:51 PM

Drove me crazy. You need side by side TV's like I have:wink:

WSox8404
04-09-2006, 03:52 PM

Are the individuals asked what finger they want to wear their rings on? I would assume its their choice right?

infohawk
04-09-2006, 03:52 PM
Great win. I think Garcia will be ready in one or two more starts (due to lack of work in Spring Training when he went to Bud's WBC) and Garland will bounce back and we will be looking like last season's team when some of the bats begin to come alive.

I completely agree with this post. I really do think that we should ultimately withhold judgement on Freddie in particular until he's had a couple more starts. I don't get the sense he's quite there yet. Hopefully he does pretty well against the kitties.

roylestillman
04-09-2006, 03:53 PM
Don't mess with this line-up. I don't care if Posednik goes 0 for the next 147, don't mess with this line-up.

Best thing I saw today was Dye lunging for that ball in the first inning with no ill effects.

WinOrDyeTrying
04-09-2006, 03:53 PM
How many RBIs would Thome have by now if Pods could actually reach base?

Good game overall, though.

infohawk
04-09-2006, 03:54 PM
CNN and Fox are reporting that Thome's ball just took out an Iranian nuclear facility.

cbotnyse
04-09-2006, 03:57 PM
good day overall...Crede, Buehrle, Thome, Jenks (had a few 100mph+)....

Scotty has to pick it up....1 for 22 so far?? not good for a lead off

Ol' No. 2
04-09-2006, 04:01 PM
Don't mess with this line-up. I don't care if Posednik goes 0 for the next 147, don't mess with this line-up.

Best thing I saw today was Dye lunging for that ball in the first inning with no ill effects.When are people going to give this "regular lineup" crap a rest? Ozzie is doing exactly what he did last year (which obviously didn't work too well).:rolleyes:

cbotnyse
04-09-2006, 04:01 PM

noticed that too...is there any other finger to pimp a ring like that?? thats where Im gonna wear it when I win the raffle

MarySwiss
04-09-2006, 04:06 PM

Drove me crazy.

Well, Layla; you have my sympathy. This is how I avoided the same problem:

This is our last day for the free Extra Innings preview, so I told my husband going in that I had dibs on the big-screen in the living room and that he was going to have to watch the Masters in the family room on the tiny little 27-inch TV, poor baby!

He was, however, pissed, because he is also working at home this weekend, so he had to take his laptop into the family room with him, but I would not be moved! I can pretty much guarantee that, in the not-too-distant future, he will purchase one of those hand-held babies, so he can multi-task, i.e., work at home, watch golf, and watch baseball! Fine with me. Whatever it takes for harmony in the home! :D:

gobears1987
04-09-2006, 04:06 PM
Time for a huge winning streak.

MarySwiss
04-09-2006, 04:08 PM
Time for a huge winning streak.

That would indeed be nice!

russ99
04-09-2006, 04:08 PM
He really didn't have a spring training this year...maybe after 29 gms or so he'll be back in the swing of things...

Good point. It may take him a while to get up to speed, as long as he stays healthy.

Now let's go beat the Tigers!

chidonez
04-09-2006, 04:09 PM
What's up the The Score's post-game show online. I'm getting constant commercials.

SOX ADDICT '73
04-09-2006, 04:11 PM
Couldn't see where it landed while watching it live. I told my wife, "I think Thome just hit one out of the stadium!"

goon
04-09-2006, 04:11 PM
"Jim Thome added another mammoth home run, his third tape-measure shot in the eighth, this one covering 425 feet to right." according to whitesox.com.

the defense and pitching was stellar today, offensively they still look a bit out of rhythem though. however, when pods gets going, the rest of the offense should start clicking, no doubt.

IlliniSox4Life
04-09-2006, 04:15 PM
Couldn't see where it landed while watching it live. I told my wife, "I think Thome just hit one out of the stadium!"

It landed in the stands to the right of the video, a little more than half way up, which is why nobody could see it, it was off screen.

oeo
04-09-2006, 04:18 PM

That's because the cameraman wasn't even watching the ball. The ball landed to the right of where the camera was showing...I thought it went out as well.

The Kauffman Queens' camera crew sucks. You've got that guy that can't even follow the ball, and then the shakey guy out in center.

batmanZoSo
04-09-2006, 04:18 PM
When are people going to give this "regular lineup" crap a rest? Ozzie is doing exactly what he did last year (which obviously didn't work too well).:rolleyes:

Right...notice how healthy and rested everyone was come October? And how in October we had the same "regular" lineup out there every night? We have a strong bench for a reason...

cheeses_h_rice
04-09-2006, 04:28 PM
Kansas City has Sweeney. We have Thome.

Kansas City has Jimmy Gobble. We have Jenks.

I like our odds.

Awesome D by JC down the stretch. Thanks to MB for getting this team back on track.

:gulp:

SOX ADDICT '73
04-09-2006, 04:33 PM
That's because the cameraman wasn't even watching the ball. The ball landed to the right of where the camera was showing...I thought it went out as well.

The Kauffman Queens' camera crew sucks. You've got that guy that can't even follow the ball, and then the shakey guy out in center.
The other reason I thought it left the building was seeing several people walking along whatever passes for a concourse turn and look behind them. Reminded me of some of Abreu's shots at the HR Derby in Detroit last year.

The funniest part was watching Reggie Sanders frozen in place like a plastic figurine. "Majestic" indeed.

WinOrDyeTrying
04-09-2006, 04:41 PM
Quick thought: The way Buehrle pitches helps the defense of this team get on track. We all know that MB isnt a stikeout pitcher (he only had 1 K today), but he is good at keeping the ball on the ground. This, I believe, gets the defense moving without putting too much strain on the fielders, but also not keeping them underworked.

MarySwiss
04-09-2006, 04:43 PM
Just so you guys know, the REAL reason we won today is because I erased my "Magic Number = " box from my office whiteboard because I was convinced it was jinxing us.

Just so you guys know. :tongue:

A.T. Money
04-09-2006, 04:45 PM
Thank God we won. I couldn't handle this losing stuff anymore.

Lets carry this over into Detroit now please. Hopefully Garcia can pitch because Bonderman is tough.

As for Froemming; if he couldn't see the play, then he needs to rely on the other umpires. I would think it's the homeplate umps call anyway regardless. Either way, all 3 saw the catch and it was easily overruled.

The Wimperoo
04-09-2006, 04:47 PM
The best part of the game was we got to see Konerko do his patented "head hang" routine as soon as he weakly hit the ball his first 3 times up today. I really missed that since last season.

1951Campbell
04-09-2006, 04:49 PM

No doubt.

WinOrDyeTrying
04-09-2006, 04:50 PM
Just so you guys know, the REAL reason we won today is because I erased my "Magic Number = " box from my office whiteboard because I was convinced it was jinxing us.

:woo-woo
He agrees with your theory.

mike squires
04-09-2006, 04:50 PM
Might as well make #3,000 on a positive note. Good game all around. looks like it will be a lot like last year, close games, not a lot of scoring and good defense. We need to put a pounding on Detroit and get back over .500..

Dan Mega
04-09-2006, 04:57 PM
Lets not forget that Jermaine Dye had some outstanding defensive plays in RF too!:D:

MarySwiss
04-09-2006, 05:06 PM
Might as well make #3,000 on a positive note. Good game all around. looks like it will be a lot like last year, close games, not a lot of scoring and good defense. We need to put a pounding on Detroit and get back over .500..

Squires, congrats on the 3,000. But what took you so long? :D:

esbrechtel
04-09-2006, 05:06 PM
Lets not forget that Jermaine Dye had some outstanding defensive plays in RF too!:D:

took the words right out of my mouth....i am the biggest Joe C fan there is but the OF had some amazing plays....pods thorwin out tony at two and anderson on the run....the defense definately stepped up....Ozuna sould take notes

RedHeadPaleHoser
04-09-2006, 05:08 PM
I don't remember who said it...but THIS is what happens when the entire "team" is on the field..great hitting (LOVE Thome's BOMB), great situational hitting, awesome defense, and Mark Buehrle.

illinisox1
04-09-2006, 05:10 PM
definitely need that win, gettin swept by KC woulda hurt......now let's show those Tigers what it's like to face REAL pitching, not KC and Tex:gulp:

MarySwiss
04-09-2006, 05:10 PM

Very true! Good stuff, Dan; Jermaine was outstanding. In fact, not to sound Pollyannish (if that's a word), this is, IMO, the first time this season the team looked solid. Nice to see! :D:

nasox
04-09-2006, 05:12 PM
Nice win. Singleton and Farmio are unbearable. Ugh. In the 7th and 8th innings, they were constantly talking over each other. :(:

LAZCONUS
04-09-2006, 05:14 PM
I think J.D. has a calming effect on the team. The dude is steady. Never gets too high or low. I never saw where J.T.'s bomb landed and the same thing happened during the first game of the series. P.K. doubled off the wall in left and the camera was zoomed out. You could not see the ball and Hawk was yelling "STRECH!!!!!!!!!!"

TomBradley72
04-09-2006, 05:16 PM
What Buehrle did today is exactly what aces do...took control of the game...8 solid innings....love all of the other starters...but he's the "go to" guy.

Jurr
04-09-2006, 05:20 PM
When are people going to give this "regular lineup" crap a rest? Ozzie is doing exactly what he did last year (which obviously didn't work too well).:rolleyes:
Easy, greasy! Sounds like someone needs a nap!

In all honesty, though, it's really not fair to blame Ozzie for throwing out different lineups. The day that he let a lot of guys get rest ended up being a great offensive night (though the Royals had one, too.)

Ozzie plays his bench a lot. And that's why they hit 14th inning bombs or clutch base hits in WS games. :D: They're ready.

paciorek1983
04-09-2006, 05:21 PM
We stink!!!!!

MarySwiss
04-09-2006, 05:25 PM
I think J.D. has a calming effect on the team. The dude is steady. Never gets too high or low. I never saw where J.T.'s bomb landed and the same thing happened during the first game of the series. P.K. doubled off the wall in left and the camera was zoomed out. You could not see the ball and Hawk was yelling "STRECH!!!!!!!!!!"

You make an excellent point. I cannot remember JD ever arguing a call. I'm sure he has, but it seems to be the exception to the rule.

Kind of interesting, too, that Hawk said he didn't know a lot about Reggie Sanders. Okay, sure, Sanders has played most (all?) of his career in the NL, but he is SOLID, offensively and defensively. Look it up; teams he plays for usually make it to the postseason. Now I'm not saying that KC will make the playoffs, but I'd be surprised if they were as bad as most media types are predicting. This will not be due entirely to Reggie Sanders, but I'm a fan (as long as he's not playing the Sox).

he gone!
04-09-2006, 05:27 PM
good stuff! Buehrle was awesome. crede!!!

OG4LIFE
04-09-2006, 05:34 PM
I missed the 9th, although from what I've read Jenks has his 98-99-100 mph velocity back? What did he have on his fastball?

he gone!
04-09-2006, 05:34 PM
Nice win. Singleton and Farmio are unbearable. Ugh. In the 7th and 8th innings, they were constantly talking over each other. :(:

you ain't kidding. i was listening on my computer and turned it off and just watched gameday. it's all good though, at least we got the win!

Half Cocked Jack
04-09-2006, 05:38 PM
I missed the 9th, although from what I've read Jenks has his 98-99-100 mph velocity back? What did he have on his fastball?
Yeah, he had his velocity back. He wasn't throwing strikes like he should though, and his fastballs were getting tattoed (one for a homer, a couple saved by Crede). It was encouraging to see the high velocity return, however.

LAZCONUS
04-09-2006, 05:39 PM
YEAH! It was Jenks fast ball that was clocked at 100mph. Not his breaking ball. They did say he threw a 90mph slider which i think is exceptional.

Beer Can Chicken
04-09-2006, 05:44 PM

I really like Farmer but I just don't think he is a play by play guy. He still keeps telling stories, he doesnt even relay the game. It's horribly frustrating.
And when Singleton actually does say something, Farmer talks over him. We went from the best radio booth in baseball to the absolute worst.
Looks like I just can't leave the house when the SOX are playing.

nasox
04-09-2006, 05:51 PM
I really like Farmer but I just don't think he is a play by play guy. He still keeps telling stories, he doesnt even relay the game. It's horribly frustrating.
And when Singleton actually does say something, Farmer talks over him. We went from the best radio booth in baseball to the absolute worst.

It's worse for me. I don't have cable. :(:

batmanZoSo
04-09-2006, 06:06 PM

Deep down I knew it was your fault somehow. Thanks. :wink::D:

MarySwiss
04-09-2006, 06:07 PM
Deep down I knew it was your fault somehow. Thanks. :wink:

You, sir, are a nut! :D:

buehrle4cy05
04-09-2006, 06:12 PM
In the 2 Sox wins this year, I have done a PTC. In the four that the Sox have lost, I haven't.

Therefore, I, not MarySwiss, not Mark Buehrle, not Joe Crede, am the reason the Sox won today.:tongue:

Bobbo35
04-09-2006, 06:17 PM
Lots of positives on the pitching/defense end of things today. Mark Buehrle showed why he is the ace of the staff. Joe Crede came up huge in the 9th. Also, despite giving up some rockets, I think we can quit worrying about Jenks' velocity.

Buerhle was great today, the defense was awesome and how about that Thome blast. Every home run he has hit has been a moon shot. Now lets roll into Detroit and get them off of their stoop they think their on.

SOecks
04-09-2006, 06:24 PM

It's driving me crazy too. They are completely unlistenable. Someone needs to step in and lay the smack down on those two or it will be a long year. Even when Singleton manages to get a word in, Farmer talks right over him. This says a lot...I'd take Berman and team over Farmer & Singleton right now. Farmer, you are doing PBP. Give the game room to breathe and let your partner talk.

Bobbo35
04-09-2006, 06:27 PM
Yeah. That's really the reason they won.:rolleyes:

I was on the radio yesterday and talked about how the Sox needed the consistent starting nine out there and Jay Hood disagreed with me. It was nice to see Jermaine out there and to have the regular 3 in the outfield. I'm sorry, but we have the best infield in the league. Any arguments? Good win.

batmanZoSo
04-09-2006, 06:29 PM
It's driving me crazy too. They are completely unlistenable. Someone needs to step in and lay the smack down on those two or it will be a long year. Even when Singleton manages to get a word in, Farmer talks right over him. This says a lot...I'd take Berman and team over Farmer & Singleton right now. Farmer, you are doing PBP. Give the game room to breathe and let your partner talk.

I've never heard broadcasting that bad. Farmer still does his thing of not telling you what the score is when he comes back from break. He'll go into every detail imaginable before revealing the score. And Singleton is just rough. He's like Darrin Jackson only worse. And DJ is still awkward in the booth. I guess we can't expect someone with experience.

Layla
04-09-2006, 06:29 PM
In the 2 Sox wins this year, I have done a PTC. In the four that the Sox have lost, I haven't.

Therefore, I, not MarySwiss, not Mark Buehrle, not Joe Crede, am the reason the Sox won today.:tongue:

I only have on thing to say then -

Keep on doing the PTC. Please.:smile:

Beer Can Chicken
04-09-2006, 06:33 PM
I was on the radio yesterday and talked about how the Sox needed the consistent starting nine out there and Jay Hood disagreed with me. It was nice to see Jermaine out there and to have the regular 3 in the outfield. I'm sorry, but we have the best infield in the league. Any arguments? Good win.

We definitely have one of the best infields, maybe not the best, but thats just a matter of minor debate.
Either way it was nice to see Dye out there. The team looks much better with 3 legit OFs. I'd really like to see a true 4th OF on the team.

TheVulture
04-09-2006, 06:42 PM

Really? I thought it was because I put me lucky chicken bone back in me beard. Arrgh!

logansquaresox
04-09-2006, 06:46 PM
I've broken down and ordered cable, at least for the rest of the season.

1951Campbell
04-09-2006, 07:38 PM

Sox with me watching: 2-0.

Sox with me listening on XM: 0-4.

:D:

beckett21
04-09-2006, 08:09 PM
Hopefully this will wake the team up. I think it will. Nice to see our 'A' lineup out there.

As an aside, I love how these post-victory threads are always 200 or so posts shorter than the post-loss threads. Seems like the people who post prodigiously after losses are usually conspicuously absent from the victory threads.

Yes I know the excuses...it's Sunday...less to talk about after a win...yadda yadda yadda. :rolleyes:

I know this point has been made many times in the past but it still never fails to crack me up. :D:

roylestillman
04-09-2006, 08:16 PM
Lets see: 3.5 hours after yesterday's loss -165 posts. 3.5 hours after today's win - 106 posts.

Either we love to moan or we just have to find a classic movie to quote when we win.

Chisox1500
04-09-2006, 08:24 PM
Maybe it was just a beautiful Sunday and people were out. I'm glad we won, but some troubling trends continue. I hope Pods wakes up and the bullpen throws better. Two Crede bailouts and home run hardly inspire confidence in the pen.

Lip Man 1
04-09-2006, 09:01 PM
Good points today:

1. Sox won (thank God...)
2. Dye played
3. Sox won
4. Jenks hit 98 on the gun in the 9th inning
5. Sox won
6. Buehrle looked very sharp
7. Tigers lost

Bad points today:

1. Jenks got drilled for a home run
2. For the 4th time in 6 games Sox scored 3 runs or less. Offense still screwed.

This Detroit series is very, very big for an early season matchup. Konerko talked about how important it is today at White Sox.com

Sox need to play well and take away some of Detroit's confidence. That starts with a good outing by Garcia.

Also just wondering...do the Sox even have a stolen base yet? I know the only guy to go yard has been Thome.

:o:

Lip

PAPChiSox729
04-09-2006, 09:28 PM
Also just wondering...do the Sox even have a stolen base yet? I know the only guy to go yard has been Thome.

:o:

Lip

Pablo did steal one in the first inning of the first game of the series against KC. Other than that, I don't know. Our offense will definetly be better.

BeviBall!
04-09-2006, 09:30 PM
Gooch has an SB as well.

South Side
04-09-2006, 09:45 PM
Maybe it was just a beautiful Sunday and people were out. I'm glad we won, but some troubling trends continue. I hope Pods wakes up and the bullpen throws better. Two Crede bailouts and home run hardly inspire confidence in the pen.

How is our 3rd baseman making great plays a bail out? Are we suppose to wish we had a medicore one to even the score up?

thomas35forever
04-09-2006, 09:50 PM
Nice to see we're finally playing the way we did last year.

TaquitoElGoocho
04-09-2006, 10:04 PM

I believe Dye nailed the first 2006 SB for the Sox in game one. He practically walked on over; made me crack up :D:

Chisox1500
04-09-2006, 10:05 PM
Crede bailouted Jenks with great defense. Line drives aren't always hit at him. Thus Jenks looked kinda shaky.

voodoochile
04-09-2006, 10:12 PM
Crede bailouted Jenks with great defense. Line drives aren't always hit at him. Thus Jenks looked kinda shaky.

Jenks looked fine to me. Yes, Crede had to make two solid plays, but that is why you have GG defenders. Jenks had his velocity up and that is the key thing for him. The rest will come as he settles in again.

This team will take some time to gel because so much experimentation was going on in ST, but they will be stronger at the end of the year for not having wasted energy in meaningless March games, IMO.

Nice win today. I got to see the last 2 innings. How far was Thome's blast? I could get used to seeing those moon shots and enjoying them instead of feeling like I need to throw a brick through my TV set.

I actually had my first "Thank goodness they pitched to Thome" moment on opening night. I used to scream, plead, curse and beg Manuel to just walk Thome whenever the game was on the line and there was ANY open base available (load 'em up? sure, just don't let that man swing the bat). Invariably, Manuel would let his pitcher go mano A mano and Thome would launch a moon shot that would land in Akron or Springfield depending on where the teams were playing. My roommate at the time got to see several meaningless items destroyed after said moments.

Now the shoe is on the other foot and it feels good...:D:

Brian26
04-09-2006, 10:53 PM

I'll have to check my scorebook, but I'm almost positive Anderson stole one Opening Night.

Jjav829
04-09-2006, 10:54 PM
Thanks, Mr. Stopper! :thumbsup:

Amazing 9th inning by Crede, but Hawk... settle down. It's a long season. No need to start screaming yet.

Now let's go to Detroit and show those Tigers that they're not for real.

Brian26
04-09-2006, 10:56 PM
How far was Thome's blast? I could get used to seeing those moon shots and enjoying them instead of feeling like I need to throw a brick through my TV set.

424 ft.

It was about 2/3 of the way up the stands, just to the right of the Sox bullpen in rightfield. The camera didnt catch where it went, so nobody saw it land on tv until they showed replays from a different angle.

chisoxmike
04-09-2006, 10:59 PM
Hawk was glowing after the game today. I went to KC this weekend for all 3 games and today after the game we waited by the busses and Hawk came out to greet us. As he was walking toward us he goes "This is why you have aces and stoppers." It was a classic Hawk quote. We went to shake his and he and says "No." Instead he gave us a pound with his ring showing. He was nice enough to pose with us for a picture.

Hawk's the man.

So I havent heard him yet all season becuase I've been to all the games, from what I've read he's been out of control???

PaleHosed
04-09-2006, 10:59 PM
...and Thome would launch a moon shot that would land in Akron or Springfield depending on where the teams were playing.
I'm not sure how the Jake is setup, but I do know that at the Cell a shot to Springfield is way foul. Danville, IL or maybe Terre Haute, IN would work much better. :cool: But then again, I've been called a smartass in the past :rolleyes:

On a more serious note...my biggest beef with the team right now is getting the Scotty/Iguchi one two punch working like it did or least similar to what it was last year. This is key. All the other concerns voiced here don't bother me nearly as much.

Macko is a fine 4th outfielder - those saying otherwise expect a top of the depth chart OF as our 4th. Pablo is our 5th outfielder the games he played out there this week were an exception, for the most part you'll see him subbing in the infield where he belongs.

Now that Jenks velocity is back he should be ok, once he gets that knee-buckling curve working consistantly we'll be in great shape. Man, I love that curve he's got - when its working.

I'm just a little concerned about Freddy...I don't like the velocity drop...but its only been one start so I'm try to hold back my fears til i see a couple more starts. And also don't forget that we do have a 6th starter. And outside of Freddy and about an inning of Garland the starters have been great.

As concerning the bullpen. From what i've seen, Fingernails on a blackboard, Cotts, and Jenks have looked good and with our starters that's almost all we need. Even Thorton don't look to bad and I think he might even make a good backup for closer if Jenks has probs or needs a break.

And quit complaining out the starting lineup. It will probably be pretty normal for the next few days. My guess is that Oz is getting them some early play time so that they are ready for the show when needed later on down the road...everybody has got a little time in now so the lineup should normalize. Besides as others pointed out, Ozzie did this with the lineups last year as well and I also believe this is why we had such a great playoff run...our regulars were more rested than the other teams and our bench player were fresh and ready to go when we needed them.

Anyway...there's my attempt to quiet the Dark Clouds. It's a marathon boys and girls, have a :gulp:, and relax!

JoeClutch24
04-09-2006, 11:01 PM
That would've been a long 7 1/2 hour drive home if we lost that one today. I thought it was hilarious when Thome hit that homer. Reggie didn't even move a muscle.

Chisox003
04-09-2006, 11:03 PM
So I havent heard him yet all season becuase I've been to all the games, from what I've read he's been out of control???
I think "into it" is more fitting.

Actually, "out of control" might just do it :cool:

RetireWoodys28
04-09-2006, 11:36 PM
Same here, and not having cable wasn't that bad in years past with Rooney and Farmer on the radio, plus a game or two a week on non-cable TV. But having to rely on Farmer's PBP and whatever it is Singleton is supposed to be doing, I am honestly considering breaking down and paying for cable again (for the first time in 5+ years). Plus, I think DJ's gotten a lot more tolerable, and I wouldn't mind him nearly as much as a few years ago.

Good game. Would like to see Pods snap out of spring training mode, and also maybe have a couple fewer runners stranded (again), but overall this game reminded me a lot of the first half of last season. The win, the Thome homerun, and Buehrle's performance alone are reason enough to smile. :D:

chisoxfanatic
04-09-2006, 11:43 PM
How far was Thome's home run? That looked TATOOED!!!

Great game by the good guys today! Let's kick some ***** Cat butt tomorrow and send them on a tailspin!

fuzzy_patters
04-10-2006, 01:06 AM
Great game today. I didn't get a chance to read or post on the board today, but I assume everyone is happy. Oops! I have to go. My nose is bleeding. Jim Thome's homerun just landed on it.

ChiSoxGirl
04-10-2006, 08:12 AM
So I havent heard him yet all season becuase I've been to all the games...

Geeze Mike, life is tough for some people, isn't it?! :wink:

itsnotrequired
04-10-2006, 08:26 AM

He seemed to be busting out the "Stretch!" call a bit early. You know, high fly balls that don't even reach the track. In his defense, it was during those bizarro wind conditions in KC so I guess we can cut him some slack.

I thought he was going to blow out the mic when Thome hit the blast yesterday. Mercy!

jenn2080
04-10-2006, 08:48 AM
I'm not sure how the Jake is setup, but I do know that at the Cell a shot to Springfield is way foul. Danville, IL or maybe Terre Haute, IN would work much better. :cool: But then again, I've been called a smartass in the past :rolleyes:

On a more serious note...my biggest beef with the team right now is getting the Scotty/Iguchi one two punch working like it did or least similar to what it was last year. This is key. All the other concerns voiced here don't bother me nearly as much.

Macko is a fine 4th outfielder - those saying otherwise expect a top of the depth chart OF as our 4th. Pablo is our 5th outfielder the games he played out there this week were an exception, for the most part you'll see him subbing in the infield where he belongs.

Now that Jenks velocity is back he should be ok, once he gets that knee-buckling curve working consistantly we'll be in great shape. Man, I love that curve he's got - when its working.

I'm just a little concerned about Freddy...I don't like the velocity drop...but its only been one start so I'm try to hold back my fears til i see a couple more starts. And also don't forget that we do have a 6th starter. And outside of Freddy and about an inning of Garland the starters have been great.

As concerning the bullpen. From what i've seen, Fingernails on a blackboard, Cotts, and Jenks have looked good and with our starters that's almost all we need. Even Thorton don't look to bad and I think he might even make a good backup for closer if Jenks has probs or needs a break.

And quit complaining out the starting lineup. It will probably be pretty normal for the next few days. My guess is that Oz is getting them some early play time so that they are ready for the show when needed later on down the road...everybody has got a little time in now so the lineup should normalize. Besides as others pointed out, Ozzie did this with the lineups last year as well and I also believe this is why we had such a great playoff run...our regulars were more rested than the other teams and our bench player were fresh and ready to go when we needed them.

Anyway...there's my attempt to quiet the Dark Clouds. It's a marathon boys and girls, have a :gulp:, and relax!

AMEN!

Theanticub
04-10-2006, 08:57 AM
This is huge going to Detroit... where our HR drought should continue. Back to dominating defense/pitching! But... we really need someone else to go big fly besides JT.

I agree. This Detroit trip is huge. Though, if we have a good series, there's no doubt that MB coming in and shutting it down definitely set the tone.

batmanZoSo
04-10-2006, 09:09 AM
I agree. This Detroit trip is huge. Though, if we have a good series, there's no doubt that MB coming in and shutting it down definitely set the tone.

The '05 Sox built a World Series champion on dominating the Central Division. I don't expect 27-5 or whatever sick figure it was that they started off against Central opponents, but it's gotta be better than they've been so far. These games are very important.