PDA

View Full Version : 25 SI Covers

TheKittle
04-09-2006, 04:02 AM
The White Sox have been on the cover of SI, 25 times.

http://dynamic.si.cnn.com/covers/search?searchSpec=chicago+white+sox&page=2

Madvora
04-09-2006, 10:47 AM
What the hell is Mickey Mantle doing tagging a guy out in the infield? Wasn't he an outfielder?

itsnotrequired
04-09-2006, 10:52 AM
What the hell is Mickey Mantle doing tagging a guy out in the infield? Wasn't he an outfielder?

Yes, he was an outfielder but played a handful of games in the infield early in his career. He played his last two seasons at first base.

HITMEN OF 77
04-09-2006, 12:03 PM
Poor Cisco Carlos got the SI jinx in 1968.

1951Campbell
04-09-2006, 12:14 PM
My favorite will always be:

http://i.cnn.net/si/si_online/covers/images/1972/0612_large.jpg

Lip Man 1
04-09-2006, 01:41 PM
Mantle came up as a shortstop. He was converted to the outfield after Joe DiMaggio had a leg injury (heel I think) and it caused him to realize he had to retire soon.

The Sox player Mantle is tagging by the way is Ken Berry.

Lip

SouthSide_HitMen
04-09-2006, 01:46 PM
Most of these are not really White Sox covers (you have a little corner insert or covers such as Bo Jackson who played for several teams (in two sports) and no White Sox uniform / tie in).

The White Sox were the main feature of Sports Illustrated on these covers:

Oct 31, 2005 - White Sox win first two World Series Games (no World Series title cover the following week).

March 13, 2000 - Frank Thomas "Don't Question My Desire".

August 8, 1994 - Frank Thomas and Ken Griffey Jr - Two powerful reasons to keep playing ball. (Which was really about the strike).

March 14, 1994 - "Bag It Michael" With Jordan whaling away at a pitch. This had more to do with the circus sideshow and Jordan's NBA fame vs. the White Sox.

June 8, 1981 - The Sox New Sock - With The Bull Greg Luzinski on the Cover.

March 19, 1979 - Harry Chappas (who played 72 games in the majors) "The Littlest Rookie". (He is 5 foot 3 inches).

No covers in 1983 when they were baseball's best team nor during the 2005 season when they were baseball's biggest surprise. No South Side Hitmen covers. Not even a Disco Demolition cover.

Three of the six had nothing to do with the team (Jordan and Chappas sideshows and Thomas' 1994 was really about the strike).

DeepDishPizza
04-09-2006, 02:42 PM
So the Sox did not get a cover for winning the world series? That's a shame. Oh well, I'll be happy with the local papers' versions....

TDog
04-09-2006, 02:53 PM
My favorite will always be:

http://i.cnn.net/si/si_online/covers/images/1972/0612_large.jpg

Bill Melton, who had a cover of his own, contributed to this one as well. That's his cigarette Dick Allen is smoking.

Cisco Carlos had promise. The day in September 1967 when Joe Horlen pitched his no-hitter in the first game of a doubleheader, Carlos shut out the Tigers in the second game. The Tigers were a good team. A year later, they won it all.

TheKittle
04-09-2006, 03:44 PM
I remember reading a story in SI about how Ali knocked out Pete Ward from an SI cover. SI was going to put Ward on the cover but Ali beat Liston and SI decided to put Ali on the cover. Ward and an SI editor have two of the only four "almost" covers made.

I was always upset they didn't put anybody from the 83 team on the cover. Hell in August of 83 they had three football players and Howard Cosell on the damn cover!!!!

Vernam
04-09-2006, 04:07 PM
Cisco Carlos had promise. The day in September 1967 when Joe Horlen pitched his no-hitter in the first game of a doubleheader, Carlos shut out the Tigers in the second game. The Tigers were a good team. A year later, they won it all.It seemed like Carlos took a no-hitter or one-hitter into the mid-late innings of every game he started as a rookie. People thought he was going to be better than John, Horlen or Peters.

Vernam

michned
04-09-2006, 04:38 PM
I remember reading a story in SI about how Ali knocked out Pete Ward from an SI cover. SI was going to put Ward on the cover but Ali beat Liston and SI decided to put Ali on the cover. Ward and an SI editor have two of the only four "almost" covers made.
Wasn't there an "almost" cover in 1985 of Fisk picking up Seaver after his 300th win?

TDog
04-09-2006, 05:30 PM

I was always upset they didn't put anybody from the 83 team on the cover. Hell in August of 83 they had three football players and Howard Cosell on the damn cover!!!!

As I recall, Clay beat Liston and became Ali the next day.

TheKittle
04-09-2006, 07:07 PM
[quote=michned]Wasn't there an "almost" cover in 1985 of Fisk picking up Seaver after his 300th win?[/quote

Instead of SI putting Seaver and Carew, who got his 3,000 hit, on the cover they had to put Tony Dorsett on the cover. After all training camp and pre season games of the NFL are so important. Both Seaver and Carew got a mention on the Dorsett cover, along with the case against fake grass.

So I'm guessing they never planned a cover for Seaver. It's not like it's a once in a lifetime thing or dramatic moment like the Ali knockout.

http://dynamic.si.cnn.com/si_online/covers/issues/1985/0812.html

Brian26
04-09-2006, 07:56 PM
Wasn't there an "almost" cover in 1985 of Fisk picking up Seaver after his 300th win?

You mean this one?

RadioheadRocks
04-09-2006, 08:56 PM

Yep, this article appears towards the back of the SI World Series commemorative issue, and there's a picture of Ward holding up his copy of the magazine.

RadioheadRocks
04-09-2006, 09:01 PM
[quote=michned]Wasn't there an "almost" cover in 1985 of Fisk picking up Seaver after his 300th win?[/quote

Instead of SI putting Seaver and Carew, who got his 3,000 hit, on the cover they had to put Tony Dorsett on the cover. After all training camp and pre season games of the NFL are so important. Both Seaver and Carew got a mention on the Dorsett cover, along with the case against fake grass.

So I'm guessing they never planned a cover for Seaver. It's not like it's a once in a lifetime thing or dramatic moment like the Ali knockout.

http://dynamic.si.cnn.com/si_online/covers/issues/1985/0812.html

Actually there was supposed to be a Seaver cover once he won his 300th game and there was mention of it in both Chicago newspapers, so we were expecting that cover and got Tony Dorsett instead. I had sent a letter to the editor of SI to register my disappointment (especially since the photo shoot for the planned cover had already been announced by the Chicago media) and all I got was a written response saying "Sorry..." (my letter did not appear in the magazine either).

On the other hand, there WAS a cover picture of Seaver in the upper right hand corner of People Magazine after he won #300, and I still have that put away somewhere.

TheKittle
04-09-2006, 09:10 PM
I think this is a much better way to remember Seaver's 300th win.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Tom-Seaver-300-Wins-Autographed-Gateway-Cachet_W0QQitemZ8793944121QQcategoryZ53QQcmdZViewI tem

I won a Fisk cachet from the same company and I've started building my White Sox collection. This company even has the last game at Comiskey Park and the first game at New Comiskey cachets. Pretty cool.

Lip Man 1
04-09-2006, 10:06 PM
From Pete Ward's WSI Interview:

ML: Tell me about the "Sports Illustrated" cover that never was in June 1965. (Author’s Note: The June 7, 1965 cover of Sports Illustrated was originally supposed to show a shot of Pete swinging some bats in the on deck circle walking towards home plate with the caption ‘The New White Sox Power For A Pennant’ The cover shot had been planned well in advance. However the Tuesday before the issue came out Muhammad Ali knocked out "Sonny" Liston in the first round of their fight in Bangor, Maine and SI at the last minute changed the cover to one of Ali / Liston with the caption ‘The Fight You Didn’t See.’)

PW: "I was supposed to be on the cover but after Ali won his fight they changed it. They just got the pictures there in time to do it. Sports Illustrated did send me some of the covers that were supposed to have me on it though. I have one in my office. Another one I signed and gave to Art Berke (Author’s Note: Berke is the vice president of communications for Sports Illustrated and is a die-hard White Sox fan. That signed ‘cover’ now hangs in Berke’s office in New York City.)"

http://whitesoxinteractive.com/images/2004/Ward1.jpg

Lip Man 1
04-09-2006, 10:08 PM
Pete was then kind enough to send me a signed copy of his 'cover.' Very nice man.

Lip

TheKittle
04-09-2006, 11:26 PM
Yep, this article appears towards the back of the SI World Series commemorative issue, and there's a picture of Ward holding up his copy of the magazine.

No actually it first appeared in SI back in 2000 or 2001.

RadioheadRocks
04-09-2006, 11:29 PM
No actually it first appeared in SI back in 2000 or 2001.

I'm sure you're right about that, but it does appear in the 2005 WS Commemorative issue as well. I made no mention of that being the first appearance, but it's all good.

vegyrex
04-10-2006, 12:17 AM
http://i.cnn.net/si/si_online/covers/images/1976/0315_large.jpg

I still have the Bill Veeck one. :smile:

Chez
04-10-2006, 10:05 AM
I have the Dick Allen cover framed aned hanging in my basement -- above my green Old Comiskey seat -- a Father's Day gift from my kids.