Thome's Homey
04-08-2006, 04:16 PM
He's in the Cubs TV booth right now.

http://img307.imageshack.us/img307/3321/oi7bluw46hj.jpg

RKMeibalane
04-08-2006, 04:27 PM

Maybe I'm wrong, but I always thought that he was a Cubs fan, and just rooted for the Sox during the playoffs last season.

Thome's Homey
04-08-2006, 04:28 PM
Maybe I'm wrong, but I always thought that he was a Cubs fan, and just rooted for the Sox during the playoffs last season.

You're not wrong. You're exactly correct. I remember reading in the paper about him singing at Wrigley during the seventh-inning stretch within the past couple of years.

Hitmen77
04-08-2006, 04:34 PM
meh, they can keep their celebrity fans. I'll take that WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONSHIP anyday. :cool:

The Critic
04-08-2006, 04:35 PM
Cusack played the "Chicago Fan" card.
Also said he's gotten the "worst press of my career" over the Sox/Cub "controversy".
:D:

He did name-check Zisk and Gamble, though.

SOXintheBURGH
04-08-2006, 04:41 PM
Also said he's gotten the "worst press of my career" over the Sox/Cub "controversy".

I'll let him in then. I bet 90% of the people at opening day couldn't do the same. I like Cusack he is in some good movies.

1951Campbell
04-08-2006, 04:55 PM
I'll let him in then. I bet 90% of the people at opening day couldn't do the same. I like Cusack he is in some good movies.

Bah, his personal assistant Googled it up for him.

TDog
04-08-2006, 05:25 PM

And his Buck Weaver was appropriately tragic.

Lip Man 1
04-08-2006, 05:33 PM
You recall reading that last October when Cusack called looking for comp tickets the White Sox told him no. It was assumed in the newspaper stories that Kenny remembered his performance at Wrigley.

He had to buy tickets on his own.

Lip

soxfan13
04-08-2006, 05:45 PM

I think the guy deserves a break yes you have die hards on both sides of town and I would never get down on a guy for liking both sides especially when he rattled of the names Zisk, Gamble, And Chet Lemon as Sox players he would go see at Comiskey. It actually shows he has some baseball and historic knowledge.

ewokpelts
04-08-2006, 08:00 PM
You recall reading that last October when Cusack called looking for comp tickets the White Sox told him no. It was assumed in the newspaper stories that Kenny remembered his performance at Wrigley.

Lip

All he had to do was ask his sister.
Gene

MarySwiss
04-08-2006, 08:35 PM
I know I'm going to get a lot of **** over this, but I am actually starting to believe that there may be such a thing as a "Chicago" fan. My husband keeps telling me that although he grew up on the Northwest Side, he followed--and rooted for--both teams. He totally rooted for the Sox last year (although my WS bet may have had something to do with that).

Yes, it is undeniable that if you are a diehard, you are either a Sox fan or a Cub fan, but not both--and I fall into that category, as do probably most of us. But--and this could be the beer talking--maybe we should cut "fairweather fans" like Cusack some slack. At least he's not a pathetic "Cubs are wonderful/Sox suck" moron.

DSpivack
04-08-2006, 08:37 PM
I know I'm going to get a lot of **** over this, but I am actually starting to believe that there may be such a thing as a "Chicago" fan. My husband keeps telling me that although he grew up on the Northwest Side, he followed--and rooted for--both teams. He totally rooted for the Sox last year (although my WS bet may have had something to do with that).

Yes, it is undeniable that if you are a diehard, you are either a Sox fan or a Cub fan, but not both--and I fall into that category, as do probably most of us. But--and this could be the beer talking--maybe we should cut "fairweather fans" like Cusack some slack. At least he's not a pathetic "Cubs are wonderful/Sox suck" moron.

My dad never hated either team, he wasn't a diehard fan of either one as you infer, but he was a diehard baseball fan--when he moved to Springfield, IL he became a big Cardinal fan. He saw through all the crap the Cubs put out yet didn't go completely against them because he grew up knowing both teams very well.

So, yeah, I think it's possible, but the diehard fan will always be a more complete fan of the team; not necessarily more knowledgable, though.

SouthSide_HitMen
04-08-2006, 08:50 PM

I have several friends who like both teams (on the NW Side) though they prefer the "Cubbies". I think the jackass interleague schedule has something to do with the new found hatred and the repulsive behavior at both ballparks over the years. The Cubs and White Sox should not play unless it is an exhibition (in Arizona or a charity game in season like they did in the past) or the World Series. Period.

MarySwiss
04-08-2006, 09:33 PM
My dad never hated either team, he wasn't a diehard fan of either one as you infer, but he was a diehard baseball fan--when he moved to Springfield, IL he became a big Cardinal fan. He saw through all the crap the Cubs put out yet didn't go completely against them because he grew up knowing both teams very well.

So, yeah, I think it's possible, but the diehard fan will always be a more complete fan of the team; not necessarily more knowledgable, though.

Excellent observations. Both my parents and all four of my parents' parents were diehard Sox fans, as am I and my brother and my cousins. But we came from the South Side, from Bridgeport. Mr.MarySwiss grew up on the Northwest Side. He is also five years older than I am, and that actually does make a difference, believe it or not. In fall of 1959, he was 12 (soon to be 13) and I was 7 (soon to be 8). So although I do remember the '59 Sox--thanks largely to my dad and grandma--he probably remembers them better.

WSox597
04-08-2006, 09:39 PM
My brother is like that, he goes to games at both parks. He prefers the Cubs, but doesn't hate the Sox.

He's not a bandwagon guy, just a pretty good baseball fan who just happens to like both teams. I always found it strange myself, but to each his own.

With his schedule he gets to go more games than I do.

I'm just old enough to remember the '59 Series, mostly the sirens going off and everyone thinking the Russkies were sending over bombers. I was really too young to remember much about the Series. What the heck, I was only seven.

Mary, small world. My parents were living in Bridgeport when I was born in '52.

MarySwiss
04-08-2006, 10:07 PM
My brother is like that, he goes to games at both parks. He prefers the Cubs, but doesn't hate the Sox.

He's not a bandwagon guy, just a pretty good baseball fan who just happens to like both teams. I always found it strange myself, but to each his own.

With his schedule he gets to go more games than I do.

I'm just old enough to remember the '59 Series, mostly the sirens going off and everyone thinking the Russkies were sending over bombers. I was really too young to remember much about the Series. What the heck, I was only seven.

Mary, small world. My parents were living in Bridgeport when I was born in '52.

Wow, I also was born in '52. We lived at 3233 S. Normal Ave. In fact, the guy who owned the tavern on the corner of 32nd and Normal--I believe it was just called "Jay's"--was my godfather, Jay Gudgeon.

Small world is right! Will you be at COTC? My brother and I will be there. If so, let's definitely chat!

1951Campbell
04-08-2006, 11:41 PM
I know I'm going to get a lot of **** over this, but I am actually starting to believe that there may be such a thing as a "Chicago" fan.

You know, your right. There's Midwest fans, too. Bears, Packers, Vikings...doesn't matter which of those three win, at least we're representing the Midwest. When Majikowski was over the line, well, gosh! That was the darnedest thing, but I bet Bears fans had a good chuckle! And when the Bears beat the Packers 61-7, gee willikers, that felt good up Cheeseland, too! Go...all you guys! :hug:

:rolleyes:

(Yeah, sorry. I did have to give you ****. :D: )

SouthSide_HitMen
04-09-2006, 12:17 AM
You know, your right. There's Midwest fans, too. Bears, Packers, Vikings...doesn't matter which of those three win, at least we're representing the Midwest. When Majikowski was over the line, well, gosh! That was the darnedest thing, but I bet Bears fans had a good chuckle! And when the Bears beat the Packers 61-7, gee willikers, that felt good up Cheeseland, too! Go...all you guys! :hug:

Sounds like a lot of Big 10 fans around here. :duck:

Thome's Homey
04-09-2006, 12:38 AM

:rolleyes:

(Yeah, sorry. I did have to give you ****. :D: )

:rolling:

Can I just be a U.S. fan? Yay! KC beat us!

WSox597
04-09-2006, 09:03 AM
Wow, I also was born in '52. We lived at 3233 S. Normal Ave. In fact, the guy who owned the tavern on the corner of 32nd and Normal--I believe it was just called "Jay's"--was my godfather, Jay Gudgeon.

Small world is right! Will you be at COTC? My brother and I will be there. If so, let's definitely chat!

I'll check with my mother, but if I remember correctly we lived at 31st and Racine. Moved out long before I would have noticed a tavern. :-)

When I got married I had to go for a baptismal certificate at St. Mary's of Perpetual Help which I believe has since been closed down.

Work will interfere with COTC, I'm afraid. Sounds interesting, though.

Back on topic, I have met a couple of others who were Chicago fans, self-described, but most of them were casual fans and not really die-hards for either team. I've met people who still hate the Bears and Halas for "driving the Cardinals out of town." Again, I barely remember them in Comiskey Park, too young really.

PatK
04-09-2006, 10:18 AM
I have several friends who like both teams (on the NW Side) though they prefer the "Cubbies". I think the jackass interleague schedule has something to do with the new found hatred and the repulsive behavior at both ballparks over the years. The Cubs and White Sox should not play unless it is an exhibition (in Arizona or a charity game in season like they did in the past) or the World Series. Period.

I tend to agree with you. I don't really remember the hate between the two sides so much. You were one fan or the other, and the fenceriders really didn't take so much heat like they do now.

And unfortunately, when the Sox and Cubs play, it brings out the biggest morons from both sides.

tick53
04-09-2006, 11:32 AM
meh, they can keep their celebrity fans. I'll take that WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONSHIP anyday. :cool:

We don't need no stinking celebrities.

TornLabrum
04-09-2006, 11:53 AM
We don't need no stinking celebrities.

But we seem to be stuck with Bernie Mac.

BainesHOF
04-09-2006, 12:20 PM
Joan Cusack lives within walking distance of Wrigley.

Maybe she gets better cell phone reception there.

SOXSINCE'70
04-09-2006, 12:20 PM
But we seem to be stuck with Bernie Mac.

I'd ratner be stuck with Jenny McCarthy (if she really is a Sox fan).

SOXSINCE'70
04-09-2006, 12:24 PM

Is that teal??AHHHHH!!!!! MY EYES!!!!!!!!
:tealpolice:
"1 Adam-12,1 Adam-12,a possible violation".

TDog
04-09-2006, 01:27 PM

There are people working for the Sox who live within walking distance of Wrigley. That doesn't mean anything. I spent four years in Wisconsin and never saw a Packers game on television. Still, when I drove around the country people would yell "go Packers" at me because of my license plates.

soxsider
04-09-2006, 06:21 PM
First of all he roots for the cubs . Secondly can anyone tell me , as a sox fan they root for the cubs to when ? ( nobody ) I knew it . So Cusack & fans of Cusack shut up watch the scrubs and leave the sox alone :angry: . P.S. all cusack movies suck !:D:

MarySwiss
04-09-2006, 06:42 PM
First of all he roots for the cubs . Secondly can anyone tell me , as a sox fan they root for the cubs to when ? ( nobody ) I knew it . So Cusack & fans of Cusack shut up watch the scrubs and leave the sox alone :angry: . P.S. all cusack movies suck !:D:

Place your bets, ladies and gentlemen....

ClaudelSleptHere
04-10-2006, 12:22 AM

Worse press than he got for "Must Love Dogs?".......

LuvSox
04-10-2006, 12:28 AM

This means you watched the Cubs game. :o:

LuvSox
04-10-2006, 12:29 AM
Place your bets, ladies and gentlemen....

I'll take Monday April 10th, 4;30 pm.

doublem23
04-10-2006, 12:32 AM

I don't think anyone ever denied the existance of the "Chicago" fan; I know a lot of them, it's just very spineless and will come back to haunt you if you claim to be a diehard of one fan (like Cusack with the Cubs) and then you latch on to the coattails of the other when they succeed (like Cusack with the Sox) and claim to root for all Chicago teams.

John Cusack? Some good movies, but I don't care what baseball team he roots for.

JohnBasedowYoda
04-10-2006, 01:04 AM

How many of his movies has him walking down a street, in a suit, in the rain?

RealMenWearBlack
04-10-2006, 01:51 AM
My dad's a Chicago fan, and I think it's because he grew up all around the country. He was born in Iowa, and then lived in New York, Texas, and Wisconsin during his childhood. He ended up in Skokie during his mid-teens. He may have been more of a Cubs fan before me, but he likes to watch and go to games with me.

Thome's Homey
04-10-2006, 02:09 PM
This means you watched the Cubs game. :o:

Yep. I watch them during the comercials between Sox innings. Baseball is baseball.

PalehosePlanet
04-11-2006, 02:13 AM
Good points made by all. I grew up in West Rogers Park on the far Northwest side in the 70' and early-to-mid 80's and all of my friends and acquaintances --- and I do mean ALL -- liked both teams, with the exception of me. I hated the Cubs by '78 or '79 for good. My friends and I ( a crew of 10 to 15 guys) would head out to Cubs and Sox games on a regular basis during those days and none of my friends held it against me that I was the only 100% anti-Cub, all Sox fan. I still keep in touch with some of the guys and they are all still about 60-40 pro Cubs but have always routed for the Sox too.

In this sense Cusack is a typical kid who grew up on the far north side in the 70's and 80's. I really think that any anti-Sox sentiment that occured up North did not happen until the last 3,4, or 5 years.

Oh well.... WHITE SOX FOREVER!!!!!

PS I'm drawing a blank at the moment; please HELP! Who was our pitching coach in '93 ???

Thome's Homey
04-11-2006, 02:35 AM
PS I'm drawing a blank at the moment; please HELP! Who was our pitching coach in '93 ???

Jackie Brown 92-95
Mike Pazik 95-98
Nardi Contreras 98-02
Don Cooper 02-now

Don't remember who was before them (hell, I was 12 when Jackie was hired...didn't care about coaches before that), but Brown was 93 for sure. Right after he left Chicago he became Tampa's roving minor league pitching instructor. In 00 or 01, he became their pitching coach. No clue where he went from there.

PalehosePlanet
04-11-2006, 03:16 AM
Yes, Jackie Brown, that's it! Thanks, beleive it or not I could not find the answer when I googled or yahooed 1992, 1993, pr 1994 White Sox anywhere. Also, get this: Baseball-Reference.com and Baseball-Alamanac.com do NOT show the coaching staffs; only the manager for any given year. Both great sites, but c'mon!

Thanks again; now I can go to sleep.

he gone!
04-11-2006, 03:42 AM

Lip

that's hilarious. i like alot of his movies though

scottjanssens
04-11-2006, 10:35 AM

****, I just lost IQ points reading that.

palehozenychicty
04-11-2006, 03:22 PM
****, I just lost IQ points reading that.

I know, right? :rolleyes:

Lip Man 1
04-11-2006, 05:03 PM
The pitching coach before Jackie Brown was Sammy Ellis and he did a fine job.

Lip