PDA

View Full Version : What's the coldest game you've ever been to?

thomas35forever
04-07-2006, 05:24 PM
Thought I'd bring it up since it's early April. Mine was Opening Day 2003 aka the first game Comiskey was called U.S. Cellular Field. It was really cold and rainy.

ilsox7
04-07-2006, 05:31 PM
Back in the late 80's, I distinctly remember being one of about four thousand fans on some April evenings when there were snow flurries in the night sky.

hellenicsoxfan
04-07-2006, 05:33 PM
It was a Saturday afternoon game back in 2003 or 2004 and the game time temperature was announced as 29 I think. It was cold but bright sunshine and no wind made it feel not too bad.

geraldfritz
04-07-2006, 05:33 PM
i agree with 03' opening day. it was in the mid 30's and raining. but crede hit one out and the sox beat the royals and Loazia got his first win of that year. so i guess, it wasnt that bad.

Max Power
04-07-2006, 05:35 PM
It was the second home game of the 2003 season vs. the Tigers. It was cold (28 degrees?) and cloudy, no rain though. I believe it is the coldest game in new Comiskey history, unless someone knows otherwise. Thankfully Buehrle was pitching and it only took two hours to get a 7-0 win.

I was also at the Sunday game vs. Boston last summer when it was like 95 degrees. I believe that's the hottest game in new Comiskey history.

SoxFan33
04-07-2006, 05:36 PM
Last April, it was probably between 35-40 degrees..ahhhh so cold! I had to end up buying a sweatshirt and everyone was buying blankets.

Parrothead
04-07-2006, 06:12 PM
Back in the late 80's, I distinctly remember being one of about four thousand fans on some April evenings when there were snow flurries in the night sky.

If they were playing Toronto, I was there too.

SweetnesSox
04-07-2006, 06:54 PM
not baseball... but I was at the Bears game... (2 seasons ago?) when they got womped by the Texans. It was like 7 under with the wind chill or something. absolutely FREEZING.

ws05champs
04-07-2006, 06:57 PM
October 12, 1993 against Toronto in the playoffs (I remember the date because it was my wife's 40th birthday- she was with me of course). We were in just about the last seat in the last row of the UD in right field. I had my arctic survival parka on and I was still freezing.

knocko94
04-07-2006, 07:00 PM
Game in April, late 90's, It was snowing pretty darn well, and Chris Snopek hit a homerun late in the game.

Sox won 5-3.

MikeLove
04-07-2006, 07:03 PM
yeah my friend and her BF went to the bears game last year on sunday night vs atlanta I think it was -7....

For Sox Games... I went to a game last year I believe on April 30th against the Tigers with my girlfriend, and two of my buddies met me there. We had awesome seats, this guy my pops does some work for has season tickets for the sox cubs and yankees and he overheard me talkin to my dad on the nextel about goin to the sox game and offered up the tix. A row back from the end of the visitors dugout (1b end). It was pretty cold. I wasnt so bad, but i was drinkin enough and I was happy to be there! My GF was cold though. Wuss. It was her first sox game tho and she loved it.

Was a great game too. I think Tadahito put us ahead for good 4-3 in the 7th with a single through the right side. I probably got my details wrong though... It was great though, when Tadahito was on 1st after he got his hit, out of no where jumps up in the air and clicks his heals together twice real quick. Cracked me up haha

cbotnyse
04-07-2006, 07:17 PM
not baseball... but I was at the Bears game... (2 seasons ago?) when they got womped by the Texans. It was like 7 under with the wind chill or something. absolutely FREEZING.

yeah I was at the Bears Sunday night game last year against Atlanta......air temp was -10 and 20pmh winds....it was so cold it hurt, bad....I had to go to the bathroom every 15 min just to get feeling back in my limbs....

as for Sox games, it was game 2 last year of the WS.....I was so cold I couldnt take it, I left in the 5th inning....but we won so I was happy. (ha yeeeeeeeeeeeeh riggght...jk of course)

bgpoppapaul
04-07-2006, 07:25 PM
had a work function where i had to go to wrigley for the opening series against the pirates a few years ago. it was 67 in the suburbs when i left. we were sitting 10 rows behind home plate and there as a 40 mph head wind coming in and the temp at first pitch was 31 and i was woefully underdressed. serves me right to head to that park. worse than that though, the texans game last year was horrid, but nothing will ever be worse than the bears nfc championship game against the niners. that was horrid. the falcons sunday night game wasn't much better this year as well.

Hendu
04-07-2006, 07:32 PM
Back in the mid-90s, a night game against Toronto was postponed because it was too cold, and they made it up the following day. $5 general admission, only about 5,000 people showed up and got to watch a great pitching match-up (Clemens vs Alvarez). I seem to remember us losing the game 1-0 or something like that....and it was COLD.

chisox56
04-07-2006, 07:38 PM
It was against the A's in april of 2003, the temperature started out warm and then during the game it dropped to the 30's and I wasn't prepared, this was also the fog game and the quick game between buerhle and mulder.

Domeshot17
04-07-2006, 07:49 PM
my freshman year of high school baseball we opened up confrence with a game high temp of something like 24* and snow. It was a mess

LongLiveFisk
04-07-2006, 07:58 PM
An April game in 1992. The only saving grace was we got to see Nolan Ryan pitch (they were playing the Rangers). We froze out butts off though.

TheKittle
04-07-2006, 08:07 PM
June 1988 in San Fransicso. Man it was freezing that night at Candlestick.

RadioheadRocks
04-07-2006, 08:10 PM
Back in the late 1970s (either 1977 or 1978, not sure which one) there was a big poll on WBBM-TV news asking viewers to send in a vote if you were a White Sox or Cubs fan. The Sox led most of the way but the Cubs ended up winning by a slim margin. Bill Veeck then offered free Sox tickets to everyone who voted for the Sox. It was for a weekend game at the end of the season and it was literally freezing cold! I must have had 4 or 5 hot chocolates just to keep my hands warm.

ondafarm
04-07-2006, 08:18 PM
I went with my then girlfriend to the game last year that Shingo blew the save in and Vizcaino was the last pitcher out of the bullpen. The Indians won I think 6-4. The wind was blowing right in our faces and we both had colds the next day.

MUsoxfan
04-08-2006, 02:30 AM
I was offered a ticket to Opening Day at Wrigley a few years back. I NEVER turn down a free baseball game. There was snow on the ivy branches and the wind was naturally blowing in.

DaleJRFan
04-08-2006, 02:35 AM
last year, 3rd game of the season against Cleveland. We were on the first base side and it was probably 30 in the shade with mega wind chill.. it was awful... we later picked up and moved to the left field bleachers.. :cool:

PKalltheway
04-08-2006, 02:36 AM
I went to a Reds/Cubs game here in Cincinnati back in early April, 2000. There were snow flurries during various parts of the game and when the game went extras, we left because we couldn't take it anymore. I couldn't even feel my feet anymore it was so cold by the 9th inning. Literally. I'm serious.

jackbrohamer
04-08-2006, 08:19 AM
1984, second game of the season against the Tigers. Jack Morris pitched a no-hitter and I don't think the temperature went over 35 degrees

I've probably been to games on colder days, but I had to stay at this one until someone got a hit. Which no Sox player ever did.

itsnotrequired
04-08-2006, 08:54 AM
The Rangers series in May last year. Brutal!

Dan H
04-08-2006, 09:25 AM
I have been to some cold games at old Candlestick but Opening Day 1999 at US Cellular was the absolute coldest. Not only was the temperature barely 40, the wind whipped through the stadium and made it feel like Christmas time. On top of that, the Sox lost to KC, making five errors. Attendance was the lowest for an opening day in many years barely getting over 25,000. Beer vendors sold nothing. It was the most brutal and disappointing game I have ever been to.

mccombe_35
04-08-2006, 09:49 AM
The second home game of the 2003 season. It was in the upper 20's, & I read in the Tribune the next day it was the coldest game in the history of the new park.

Fenway
04-08-2006, 09:54 AM
April 26, 1982 the White Sox and Boston played a twinighter at Comiskey

It was 35 at the start of the first game and it went downhill from there

http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/B04261CHA1982.htm

http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/B04262CHA1982.htm

We were huddled in the upper deck, they had just made them into "golden boxes"

Nancy spent the night playing Christmas music

TornLabrum
04-08-2006, 09:54 AM
I don't know if it was the coldest, but last night's game at Kane County was pretty bad. I was over halfway home (I live 26 miles from the ballpark) before I warmed up.

Huisj
04-08-2006, 10:36 AM
Opening day '01 against the Tigers. When we got there, it was real foggy and misty, and from the lower level, you couldn't even see the top of the upper deck. Then the fog went away and it got windy, but was still just cloudy and cold. Maybe I also remember it being colder because the Tigers scored 8 runs in the 6th inning, and then after the Sox came back in the 8th, the Tigers won it in the 10th because Foulke hit the leadoff guy who eventually came around to score. :angry:

jdm2662
04-08-2006, 10:39 AM
It was the second home game of the 2003 season vs. the Tigers. It was cold (28 degrees?) and cloudy, no rain though. I believe it is the coldest game in new Comiskey history, unless someone knows otherwise. Thankfully Buehrle was pitching and it only took two hours to get a 7-0 win.

I was also at the Sunday game vs. Boston last summer when it was like 95 degrees. I believe that's the hottest game in new Comiskey history.

I was at that game and it was indeed 28 degrees. It was sunny and no wind, but it was still cold as hell. AS you said, it was a quick one, thankfully. We were home before 4.

Honorable mention goes to the game where Michael Jordan played at Wrigley in 1994. I couldn't feel my legs by the third inning...

I_Liked_Manuel
04-08-2006, 11:09 AM
Thought I'd bring it up since it's early April. Mine was Opening Day 2003 aka the first game Comiskey was called U.S. Cellular Field. It was really cold and rainy.

i left the minute e-lo's attempt at a no hitter ended

VenturaSoxFan23
04-08-2006, 11:44 AM
I'm sure I've been to a couple games in my winter coat at the Old Park. Can't recall the dates off-hand. 40 degrees would have been an improvement.

Now if you want the hottest game I've ever been to, that's easy. Early-August 1995 against Oakland. My brother's friend & I tried getting tickets to the Turn Back The Clock game that year but it sold out just before we got to the window. So we chose an Oakland game because he liked the A's. I must have lost 10 pounds sitting and sweating through a 12-11 loss. Think the temperature was 95 and the heat index made it feel like 110. Sat in the upper deck and swore the sun was right on top of us.

miker
04-08-2006, 11:56 AM
It was the second home game of the 2003 season vs. the Tigers. It was cold (28 degrees?) and cloudy, no rain though.
That's mine. It was so cold my brother's hands were shaking and spilling his steaming hot chocolate, and he couldn't even feel it.

On a lighter side, one of the few brave beer vendors that day made a few sales by promising that "beer will make you feel warmer"!

bafiarocks03
04-08-2006, 12:07 PM
I went to a yankees game in 04' and i was in the upper deck! And it was fffrrrrreeeeeeezzzzzzing!!! I'm gonna say liek 20's or 30's with light rain! and you know the UD is much colder, and it was windy! and i couldn't feel my feet, or my hands! Not good!

voodoochile
04-08-2006, 01:00 PM
Over all?

Bears V Giants 1985 playoffs. Windchill was like -20 for that game and the high was like 5.

I was colder on the MNF game when they retired Butkus and Sayers numbers. They were wearing those awful throw back jerseys from the 20's with the stripes and Favre RAN for like 200 yards and 2 TD in the first half. Rain was coming down in sheets - sideways sheets. The wind was gusting over 40MPH IIRC and the windchill was in single digits even though the temp was in the high 30's. I was wearing my Sox jacket. I thought it was water proof. I was wrong.:(:

Baseball game - I might have been at that 2003 Tigers game, but I think it was the second game of the 2001 season. I had a partial plan that year and the package included either the second or third game of the season. Seats were behind home no sunshine and it was freaking freezing. I think the Sox got smoked to boot...:whiner:

TDog
04-08-2006, 02:03 PM
The second home game of the 2003 season. It was in the upper 20's, & I read in the Tribune the next day it was the coldest game in the history of the new park.

I was there -- much colder than opening day the day before. Park maintenance put down on the ice patches on the ramps. The upper deck was closed and outfield seats were sold for bleacher prices. D'Angelo Jimmenez hit a home run in front of me in right early in the game, but if it had been hit beyond the sports bar terace, I wouldn't have been able to move for it. I was wearing an arctic parka over a heavy Icelandic wool sweater and two sweatshirts. I went back for the Sunday game, which wasn't quite as cold. It helped that the Sox won both games.

I've been to a lot of cold baseball. I've been to a game in 1974 that was called by snow with the score tied in the 11th. I went to a Sunday afternoon game in 2002 with the temperature in the 20s and the threat of snow. The Sox honored rain checks for that game even though it was played.

Then there was the last year in County Stadium after I moved to the Milwaukee area. Weather in Alaska often feels like April baseball.

He gone
04-08-2006, 03:08 PM
It was April 1987 against the Tigers. It was 30 degrees and windy. There were about 3,000 fans at Old Comiskey. What I remember most about the game was Tom Seaver hitting Collins ( I can't remember his 1st name, he also played with the Reds). When Collins charged the mound, Fisk knocked him down before he could even get half way :bandance:

ondafarm
04-08-2006, 06:06 PM
The coldest game I played in was a pick-up game played at Thule AFB in Greenland. I was there for two weeks, which felt more like two months. We managed to get sixteen guys together so we had to close right. It was late May so we started the game at 6 in bright sunlight. I honestly can't recall if it was AM or PM (0600 or 1800.) In late May, that far north you can't really tell. Anyways, we played a few innings as the wind shifted. By the fourth inning, it had started to snow and by the fifth a blizzard had hit and when I saw the airfield flags change from IFR to 'Zero operations' I figured we'd better call it a day. No one questioned that judgement.

Lip Man 1
04-08-2006, 07:57 PM
The home Opening Day, April 11 1973.

It snowed that morning and it was piled up along the sidelines. We were in the first row of right center field. The A's came out to warm-up bundled up like it was January.

The Sox played like it too, they were embarassed 12-2.

I honestly don't remember if my high school buddies and I stayed for the entire game. It was freezing and the Sox sucked that day.

Lip

Lip Man 1
04-08-2006, 07:58 PM
He Gone:

Tom Seaver was already retired in 1987. He pitched with the White Sox in 1984 and 1985.

Lip

DannyCaterFan
04-08-2006, 11:02 PM
I have been to many cold games over the 46 years I have been going to games. The coldest I remember was 2 straight days in April of 1974. It was the second and third games of the season against the Angels at Old Comiskey. The first game was a Saturday afternoon game with about 3000 in attendance. The temp. was about 30 degrees and the Sox lost to Frank Tanana 3-2. The next day the temperature was about the same and as the Sox rallied late in the game to forge a 4-4- tie, Snow was falling like it could have been Christmas Eve. The game was finally called in the eleventh inning.

1951Campbell
04-08-2006, 11:25 PM
Like 5,000,000 other Cheeseheads, I'll have to say the Ice Bowl...even though I wasn't there. :cool:

Soxfest
04-09-2006, 01:01 AM
Sox VS Toronto Saturday afternoon game Dave Stieb pitching for White Sox ( He got smoked ) at Home 34 degrees mid May1993

twentywontowin
04-09-2006, 01:03 AM
Baseball: 5/20/05, Sox/Cubs at Wrigley. I was in the UD and it was cool and windy. I didn't dress for it and I froze.

Football: This years Bears/Falcons game. I was out tailgating at 3pm and left the lot finally at midnight, I was outside the whole time. Bless the man who invented toe and hand warmers.

TDog
04-09-2006, 01:17 PM
The home Opening Day, April 11 1973.

It snowed that morning and it was piled up along the sidelines. We were in the first row of right center field. The A's came out to warm-up bundled up like it was January.

The Sox played like it too, they were embarassed 12-2.

I honestly don't remember if my high school buddies and I stayed for the entire game. It was freezing and the Sox sucked that day.

Lip

I was at that game. Getting beat by 10 runs by the team you're chasing in the division makes the cold feel even colder.

VA_GoGoSox
04-09-2006, 01:49 PM

I was there, and it was too cold to drink beer. I hadn't had hot cocoa at a game since I was a little kid, but I think I had three or four of them that day.

soxgirl617
04-10-2006, 07:42 AM
While not literally the coldest, I'll never forget a game in late JUNE in the mid 1990s. It was freezing--we were wearing gloves, had a blanket, and drank endless cups of hot chocolate. Very depressing for June.

MVP
04-10-2006, 09:09 AM
Opening day 03.

PaleHosed
04-10-2006, 09:27 AM
I had a little league game snowed out once on May 3. That was pretty crazy. In high school I also had a soccer game that was upper 30's and raining, and because of the stupid uniform rules we could really wear anything to protect our selves from the weather under our uniforms. It was quite cold wearing just those umbro shorts and shirt and I was darn glad I didn't get subbed out that game, it was way to cold to sit on a bench.

McCuddy
04-10-2006, 09:34 AM
Opening Day 1992. It was 33 at gametime, and we sat in the far reaches of the upper deck. Greg Hibbard threw a one-hitter as the Sox beat Seattle 1-0. I swear that guys were taking three swings near the end of the game just to go back to the dugouts. (Unbeknownst to us at the game, this was also the day of the Great Chicago Flood.)

I remember a beer vendor actually being booed.

I too was at the Morris no-hitter in '84, but I don't remember it being as cold... of course, I was in the sun the whole game.

WizardsofOzzie
04-10-2006, 09:47 AM
yeah I was at the Bears Sunday night game last year against Atlanta......air temp was -10 and 20pmh winds....it was so cold it hurt, bad....I had to go to the bathroom every 15 min just to get feeling back in my limbs....

as for Sox games, it was game 2 last year of the WS.....I was so cold I couldnt take it, I left in the 5th inning....but we won so I was happy. (ha yeeeeeeeeeeeeh riggght...jk of course)

My friend was at that bears game. He bought a beer and it froze before he could finish it

INSox56
04-10-2006, 10:41 AM
Coldest game was probably one of the first games of the 04 season. We had UD seats and it was already cold, but there was a steady 20 or so mph wind coming at us. My friend and I were shivering with coats on. My genius cousin decided to wear a tshirt under his short sleeve polo thinking it'd be enough. He was colder than almost anyone I've ever seen. Even with his arms inside his shirt. If I remember right he had flip flops on too...

Lip Man 1
04-10-2006, 10:42 AM
Actually Hibbard and Thigpen combined to allow six hits that afternoon in 1992. Sox won 1-0 on a Thomas hit.

Lip

McCuddy
04-10-2006, 11:20 AM
Actually Hibbard and Thigpen combined to allow six hits that afternoon in 1992. Sox won 1-0 on a Thomas hit.

Lip

I'll have to stand corrected. Normally, I keep a scorecard at the game, but didn't for that one. For some reason I had it in my head that it was a one-hitter.

SOX LA Mikey
04-10-2006, 02:10 PM
Was a Game 2 of the WS last year
It was COLD and RAINING

......didn't feel a thing
:supernana:

southsidesoxfan1
04-10-2006, 02:19 PM
Last year, May 3, game time temp. was 43 degrees. It felt a lot colder than that. I remember Beuhrle was pitching with short sleaves. I think he must have lathered up the arm pretty good with the heat rub. Anyhow, it all ended in a win, 5-4 against the Royals, and Iguchi hit his first major league home run.

pdimas
04-10-2006, 02:24 PM
i agree with 03' opening day. it was in the mid 30's and raining. but crede hit one out and the sox beat the royals and Loazia got his first win of that year. so i guess, it wasnt that bad.

I was there and I remember them playing the Tigers :tongue: . I was in the UD freezing my ass off for 3 hours. I can't believe they managed to get that game in. I stayed there as well to watch a White Sox winner.

bleacher reacher
04-10-2006, 02:43 PM
I don't know if this was the coldest game I've gone to, but I was definitely the least prepared. It was a Monday night April 4, 2001 against Cleveland - Rocky Biddle starting. I lived in Peoria at the time and the temp was in the middle 80s when my wife and I left - in shorts and t-shirts. When we got on the Dan Ryan we noticed everyone waiting on the El platforms wearing coats, hats, and gloves. We knew we were in trouble. All we had was a little blanket that we keep in the car. Kind fans in our section actually let us borrow extra sweatshirts that they had with them. A big win made it a great night despite the weather. Incidentally, my wife was 8 months pregnant at the time - now that is dedication (probably also why people were willing to give up their warm clothes).

StockdaleForVeep
04-10-2006, 02:46 PM
What was the temp of the miserable weather game two world series game last year