PDA

View Full Version : 04/07 Games

Randar68
04-07-2006, 01:39 PM
Today's games and expected starters: Broadway and Whisler both worth keeping an eye out for tonight. Can the Brazilians repeat their stellar opening nights?

Charlotte @ Toledo 7 et
Nik Lubisich vs. Zach Miner

West Tennessee @ Birmingham 8:05 et
Carlos Marmol vs. Lance Broadway

Kinston @ Winston-Salem 7:00 et
Scott Lewis vs. Wes Whisler

Kannapolis @ Rome 7:00 et
Noe Rodriguez vs. Jairo Cuevas

Randar68
04-07-2006, 10:21 PM
Well, Broadway dominated. Gave up just 1 unearned run in 6 innings and had 10 K's against the Cubs' AA affiliate.

Whisler was hit hard and Anderson Gomes and Donny Lucy were both 1-4 with a triple for each for Winston-Salem.

California Sox
04-07-2006, 10:46 PM
Heard part of the W-S radio broadcast. Apparently Whisler dominated through two and the wheels just absolutely fell off after that.

Looks like Broadway might enjoy AA.

Kanny had a tough night. I think 14 strikeouts. They are so young that nights like that are bound to happen. Salvadore Sanchez hit a three run homer and Orlando had a double but other than that, not much to cheer about.

A. Cavatica
04-07-2006, 11:42 PM
Well, Broadway dominated. Gave up just 1 unearned run in 6 innings and had 10 K's against the Cubs' AA affiliate.

I thought the team that plays at Wrigley was the AA affiliate...?

Anyway, wow. Broadway may be ready this September.

KRS1
04-08-2006, 12:50 AM
Anyway, wow. Broadway may be ready this September.
He may be ready to start working against better competition, but to boost him up to big league ready because of this one outing is rediculous. He still needs some work on his change, it looked rather pedestrian this spring, and he could stand to build up stamina in the minors as he bottomed out last year at around 150 innings. I think if he continues to bulk up while getting his work done in the minors he has a good chance at adding some velocity that could be crucial to his pitching in the bigs, ala Garland even though he did it in the majors. He did a very nice job of rounding out this off-season as he left last year at 190 and came into ST at 210. To me this shows how dedicated he is and how bad he wants it, he knew the knock on him was his weight and related endurance/velocity and he went out to fix that. If he continues to be pinpoint with his control and develop his endurance/strength/stuff I dont see why he can't challenge for a spot on a big league roster in the near future, but for the White Sox theres no point in getting his service clock started when they wont need him.

Randar68
04-08-2006, 01:38 AM
Heard part of the W-S radio broadcast. Apparently Whisler dominated through two and the wheels just absolutely fell off after that.

Looks like Broadway might enjoy AA.

Kanny had a tough night. I think 14 strikeouts. They are so young that nights like that are bound to happen. Salvadore Sanchez hit a three run homer and Orlando had a double but other than that, not much to cheer about.

Carter and Allen are both hitless so far.

Kanny isn't just young, but they have a general lack of experience up and down that roster.

California Sox
04-08-2006, 09:34 AM

Kanny isn't just young, but they have a general lack of experience up and down that roster.

Agreed. They were very aggressive, promoting two guys from DSL, and several from Bristol. One or more may experience what Hernandez went through last year where they struggle and get sent to Great Falls. That said, there is a lot of talent on that club.

As far as Allen is concerned, Kanny really is the next logical step for him. Hopefully, he'll be able to close the holes/make the necessary adjustments.

A. Cavatica
04-08-2006, 11:10 AM
He may be ready to start working against better competition, but to boost him up to big league ready because of this one outing is rediculous...for the White Sox theres no point in getting his service clock started when they wont need him.

No argument from me. It's just that a #1 pick at AA who has outings like this automatically gets consideration for a September callup. He does have to do it a few more times this summer first...

He gone
04-08-2006, 12:13 PM
The Knights lost 3-1. Lubisich pitched 5 inngs 3ERs, 6SO, and a HR. Ryan Sweeney got his 1st hit and RBI of the season. The Knights had 1st and 3rd with 2 outs in the 1st, when Sweeney stole 2nd, Toledo's catcher threw to 3rd and picked Josh Fields off to end the inning.

Tragg
04-09-2006, 12:28 PM

Kanny isn't just young, but they have a general lack of experience up and down that roster. Randar, I saw Broadway pitch 3 times last year, and the man could throw strikes right on corners like I've never seen. But, what kind of fastball is he throwing these days, if you know? (how hard).

Also, is Clint King still with the organization?