PDA

View Full Version : stadium stylists: what thinkest thee of the new Oakland UD?

Baby Fisk
04-07-2006, 01:28 PM
Oakland has closed its upper deck and covered the seats with green tarps and HOME OF THE OAKLAND ATHLETICS curving behind home plate. It looks stunning on TV. Like a giant slanted roof. The closed UD also serves to flush all the fans to the lower decks, making the stadium look more full. For a soulless dump, they've found a way to bring some life to the place.

http://extras.mnginteractive.com/live/media/site181/2005/1221/20051221_033646_1221upperdeck1.jpg

Fenway
04-07-2006, 01:35 PM
Oakland has closed its upper deck and covered the seats with green tarps and HOME OF THE OAKLAND ATHLETICS curving behind home plate. It looks stunning on TV. Like a giant slanted roof. The closed UD also serves to flush all the fans to the lower decks, making the stadium look more full. For a soulless dump, they've found a way to bring some life to the place.

When you walk from the BART station to that ballpark you think you are walking into a prison. They need a new stadium badly but Oakland has NO money. Things are so bad there right now with budget cuts that at any given time they only have 38 police officers on the streets in a city of 400,000.

Baby Fisk
04-07-2006, 01:55 PM
When you walk from the BART station to that ballpark you think you are walking into a prison. They need a new stadium badly but Oakland has NO money. Things are so bad there right now with budget cuts that at any given time they only have 38 police officers on the streets in a city of 400,000.
It doesn't help that their most vocal fans act and talk like they just walked out of a prison. Just reading their message boards makes me blush. :o:

Huisj
04-07-2006, 01:58 PM
Are they still going to have those obnoxious people blowing trombones or whatever it was last summer? I remember hearing these awful trombone blasts from the stands almost every time a sox player threw a pitch or swung the bat there last year. Talk about annoying.

Trav
04-07-2006, 02:03 PM
I think it looks sharp from the sky and on TV. Much better than it did last year.

Luke
04-07-2006, 02:24 PM
As far as baseball stadiums go, it makes a great football stadium.

Anyone who ever complained about our UD should have to watch a game from Oaklands upper deck. I don't think they lose anything by closing it. They're in bad need of a new stadium in a new city.

itsnotrequired
04-07-2006, 04:29 PM
I think it looks sharp from the sky and on TV. Much better than it did last year.

From a distance it looks nice. I wonder what it looks like close up?

batmanZoSo
04-07-2006, 04:33 PM
Yeah, it's an improvement for the reasons Baby mentioned. Hopefully it somehow improves our luck out there. Better hitting back drop? Less glare from white shirts? More cozy looking/less intimidating? Something...

Thome's Homey
04-07-2006, 04:33 PM
It looks really good like that...But it's still a dump. That team needs to be moved and the stadium burned...Stupid drums and airhorns. :angry:

DieTrying79
04-07-2006, 04:42 PM
The lastest is that the town of Fremont, about 25 miles from the Coliseum, still within Alameda county, is advocating hardcore to get a new stadium "complex" put there with tons of open space for parking and immentities. I'll be at the A's/Angels game on April 21st with some WSI'ers in town, so I'll let you know my thoughts then. The place will still suck regardless, I'm sure.

1951Campbell
04-07-2006, 07:11 PM
Now it's just dumptacular with lots of tarp, as opposed to merely dumptacular.

Fuller_Schettman
04-07-2006, 07:21 PM
The lastest is that the town of Fremont, about 25 miles from the Coliseum, still within Alameda county, is advocating hardcore to get a new stadium "complex" put there with tons of open space for parking and immentities. I'll be at the A's/Angels game on April 21st with some WSI'ers in town, so I'll let you know my thoughts then. The place will still suck regardless, I'm sure.
If I am not mistaken, the A's own the land in Fremont upon which they wish to build. I think right now they are trying to line up the financing to get it done. There is really no other place in the East Bay suitable for a stadium (although Dublin is always looking to sell out to somebody with some $$$), so I hope they can make it work...

SouthSide_HitMen
04-07-2006, 09:17 PM

http://extras.mnginteractive.com/live/media/site181/2005/1221/20051221_033646_1221upperdeck1.jpg

Busch Stadium's upper deck was reconfigured removing seats in the OF with a new scoreboard, a McGwire PED HR counter and other baseball related sites. The A's have about 1/2 the fan base of the Cardinals and this should have been done years ago.

Do you know the way to San Jose? New A's ownership sure does.
Meanwhile, this is a good band-aid until resolution on a new stadium is passed.

RKMeibalane
04-07-2006, 09:37 PM
:hurt

"Yes! We definitely need a new stadium out here! That ball I hit the other night would have been a grand slam back in Chicago, but it went for only a double."

santo=dorf
04-07-2006, 09:57 PM
From a distance it looks nice. I wonder what it looks like close up?
It looked horrible on TV against the Yankees.