PDA

View Full Version : Giants fans move ahead of Flubs fans in stupidity

Fenway
04-07-2006, 11:59 AM
Based on Opening Day yesterday in San Francisco, Giants fans have now vaulted past Cubdom as being the most stupid fans in baseball.

How can they continue to cheer and defend Barry Bonds?

Hundreds of people showed up wearing a shirt with number 25 on the back, including Bonds, the only No. 25 who played left field. He got a standing ovation, and only a few boos, from the capacity crowd when he was introduced.

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2006/04/07/BAGGCI59CT1.DTL

Look I know San Francisco is the most tolerent city in the US but come on

SOXintheBURGH
04-07-2006, 12:04 PM
Didn't you see the South Park episode last week about San Francisco?

voodoochile
04-07-2006, 12:14 PM
Flubbie fans did the same thing for ShamME* until the tribune started its smear campaign and ran him out of town on a rail.

It's because they don't want to admit they cheered for a lying cheating scumbag all those years, so the brain tells them to keep cheering or they have to deal with the fact that they got duped. It's the same reason people don't report it when they get scammed by Nigerian e-mails or other "too good to be true" deals.

TDog
04-07-2006, 12:29 PM
Yankees fans show support for Jason Giambi. Fans voted Giambi comeback player of the year. I don't think the Giants fans are so different than fans in other cities. If Barry Bonds were on the Sox (if the Sox had signed him instead of Albert Belle, for example), I think you would see support for him at the Cell.

I wouldn't see that support for a player tests positive and is suspended, but that isn't Bonds' situation.

SoLongFrank
04-07-2006, 12:39 PM
Most fans are misguided on the issue. The really bad guys are Selig, Ozra, & Fehr. They are the top men in the sport that had the power to prevent ALL of this from happening.

The idiot who paid for the billboard is stupid. That billboard should say FIRE SELIG & FEHR.

Chicken Dinner
04-07-2006, 12:39 PM
I don't think that pushes them in front of flub fans.

chaerulez
04-07-2006, 12:57 PM
Giants fans will say there is no positive test so they still believe in Barry. After all that's the only thing they can hang onto anymore to defend that jerk.

soxfanatlanta
04-07-2006, 01:14 PM
Back in 99 when the Yankees played the Braves for the WS Ring, they had the All-Century team ceremony. Among the players honored was Pete Rose, which was the first time he was in a baseball event for over ten years. My dad and I cheered for him long, and loud.

We knew he was a jerk. We knew that he threatened the integrity of the game, but we cheered anyway. Thing is, we were not cheering for Pete Rose: the ass, we were cheering the player known as Charlie Hustle, the accomplishments, the passion for the game - which had few equals. I still to this day think he should be banned for life, but that is another topic for another thread.

So in a way, I could see why San Fransisco fans cheered for him, although the circumstances are different; Rose's gambling habits spilled over into his game, but Bonds alleged steroid use was his game.

Fenway
04-07-2006, 01:30 PM
Yankees fans show support for Jason Giambi. Fans voted Giambi comeback player of the year. I don't think the Giants fans are so different than fans in other cities. If Barry Bonds were on the Sox (if the Sox had signed him instead of Albert Belle, for example), I think you would see support for him at the Cell.

I wouldn't see that support for a player tests positive and is suspended, but that isn't Bonds' situation.

As a Red Sox fan I am thankful that there has never been even a whisper of steroid use by Ortiz or Manny. New Englanders would have been crushed if there was any taint on the 2004 season. White Sox fans would be crushed if Frank's name ever surfaced.

Bonds will probably pass Ruth in the next month and as he gets closer to 714 the media coverage will be over the top, and then Aaron becomes the target.

For MLB it is a PR nightmare.

Still I was amazed at how strong the support was for Bonds yesterday.

Scottiehaswheels
04-07-2006, 01:42 PM
Funny thing about this post... Everyone responding is from somewhere outside of Chicago... whereas all of us Chicago area people know the title of this thread could NEVER EVER happen... LOL:D:

shaunburnette
04-07-2006, 01:46 PM

I am sure it was real accurate!

Thome's Homey
04-07-2006, 01:49 PM
Based on Opening Day yesterday in San Francisco, Giants fans have now vaulted past Cubdom as being the most stupid fans in baseball.

This ought to explain it in full:

http://veepers.budweiser.com/service/RetrieveCard?id=EJ5aOwpg2HgXvAsiL1rBEW

:rolling:

RealMenWearBlack
04-07-2006, 02:14 PM
I was just curious why everyone seems to think that the authors of Game of Shadows are credible sources? I know that they're writers for a major San Francisco paper, but what if they're the Mariottis of San Francisco. This isn't to say that I don't think Barry took steroids, but I just think it's wrong and even un-American to assume that he's guilty instead of assuming his innocence.

JorgeFabregas
04-07-2006, 02:16 PM
Um, because their book is well documented? Besides, they're not sportswriters by trade--their investigative journalists.

Fenway
04-07-2006, 02:17 PM
I was just curious why everyone seems to think that the authors of Game of Shadows are credible sources? I know that they're writers for a major San Francisco paper, but what if they're the Mariottis of San Francisco. This isn't to say that I don't think Barry took steroids, but I just think it's wrong and even un-American to assume that he's guilty instead of assuming his innocence.

The 2 reporters in question are the papers top crime reporters. They have an excellent reputation.

RealMenWearBlack
04-07-2006, 02:20 PM
The 2 reporters in question are the papers top crime reporters. They have an excellent reputation.

Oh ok. Makes more sense to me now. I got the impression that they were sports reporters. I'm still feel that I can't cast judgement on Barry yet, but I can understand why others would.

Uncle_Patrick
04-07-2006, 02:52 PM

Despite the obvious exaggerations, that episode was right on. I have an uncle who lives in the suburbs of SF, and he's tried to explain to me on numberous occassions about how people in California are much more enlightened that us in the midwest.

Uncle_Patrick
04-07-2006, 02:55 PM

I'm not surprised. As long as Barry performs well for the Giants, the fans will cheer. Hey, Cubs fans were in love with Sosa until his numbers declined. After that, they couldn't get him out of town fast enough. If Barry starts to really suck, the support will vanish.