PDA

View Full Version : The Boys from Brazil

bigredrudy
04-07-2006, 08:31 AM
Our boys from Brazil both had good nights last night. I wonder how many farm systems have two players from Brazil. I wonder how this all came about.Gomes had a good night at WS and Orlando did the same at Kannapolis. Both boys started at higher classifications than one would have expected. Orlando, the boy with tremedous speed, played in the DSL and Gomes I think was a pitcher in Japan. I wonder who knows the story on how we acquired these two boys from Brazil.

Randar68
04-07-2006, 10:59 AM
Our boys from Brazil both had good nights last night. I wonder how many farm systems have two players from Brazil. I wonder how this all came about.Gomes had a good night at WS and Orlando did the same at Kannapolis. Both boys started at higher classifications than one would have expected. Orlando, the boy with tremedous speed, played in the DSL and Gomes I think was a pitcher in Japan. I wonder who knows the story on how we acquired these two boys from Brazil.

Orlando was signed as a FA foreign player.

Gomes was signed from Japan where he played in their second-tier league as a pitcher before blowing his arm out. The Sox worked him out as an OF'er after he converted and he put on a batting practice display that wowed them. They gave him 3rd round money to sign.

I am shocked to see him in W-S frankly. Kid must have had some history at the plate prior to playing professionally in Japan strictly as a pitcher... to be able to just pick up a bata and do some of the things he supposedly is capable of is pretty unheard of.

It will be most interesting to see how they adjust after the league has a chance to see them for a month or so.

Banix12
04-07-2006, 07:52 PM
Nothing to do with baseball but I really enjoyed the movie "The Boys from Brazil"