PDA

View Full Version : Former Sox player News

StockdaleForVeep
04-06-2006, 09:47 PM
Since im gettin annoyed with the constant threads\talk creation about rowand and all the other sox players who were with the team last year, i thought this would help

Also prevents the need for makin another thread for other sox players

My note for this thread: Im amazed because carl everett just hit a 2 run bomb in his two strike protection swing

MisterB
04-06-2006, 10:32 PM
El Duque - 5 ip, 6 h, 2 bb, 8 k, 1 er in Arizona's 4-2 win over the Rockies on Wednesday.
Damaso Marte - has faced 2 batters so far this season: 1 bb, 1 k, with a 27.00 era
Willie Harris - 2 for 4 with a walk and a stolen base as leadoff man/CF for Pawtucket.

StockdaleForVeep
04-06-2006, 11:57 PM
El Duque - 5 ip, 6 h, 2 bb, 8 k, 1 er in Arizona's 4-2 win over the Rockies on Wednesday.
Damaso Marte - has faced 2 batters so far this season: 1 bb, 1 k, with a 27.00 era
Willie Harris - 2 for 4 with a walk and a stolen base as leadoff man/CF for Pawtucket.
Wow, hernandez off to a good start, nice to see he seems to be in good health but he did start last season strong as well

how was his batting?

A. Cavatica
04-09-2006, 06:52 PM
Sad numbers from two of my favorite former Sox.

Thomas is down to .091 for Oakland. I guess he's not legging out many infield hits. If he doesn't get that average up soon, he'll be a pinch hitter for the rest of his career. :(:

Rowand is batting .222 for Philly. I can already envision us reacquiring him at the deadline. :cool:

JohnBasedowYoda
04-09-2006, 07:31 PM
Rowand is batting .222 for Philly. I can already envision us reacquiring him at the deadline. :cool:

It's gotta be tough to switch leagues and start facing new pitchers. I'm sure he'll have a good year.

gobears1987
04-09-2006, 08:05 PM
It's gotta be tough to switch leagues and start facing new pitchers. I'm sure he'll have a good year.yeah, give him time to see the pitchers.

JB98
04-10-2006, 06:56 PM
Sad numbers from two of my favorite former Sox.

Thomas is down to .091 for Oakland. I guess he's not legging out many infield hits. If he doesn't get that average up soon, he'll be a pinch hitter for the rest of his career. :(:

Just saw A-Row come up with a man on second and no outs against Atlanta. He tried to bunt and popped out to the pitcher. Some things never change. A-Row just can't get a bunt down to save his life.

He gone
04-10-2006, 08:33 PM
LTP is 1 for 5 in 3 games for Seattle :cool:

http://www.hunt101.com/img/389625.jpg

LongLiveFisk
04-10-2006, 08:38 PM
Eric Soderholm scalps tickets now.....

Oh wait, you meant recent ex-Sox, right? :)

Chisox003
04-10-2006, 08:44 PM
A-Row's 3-4 (.318 avg.) with a SB tonight.

It's fun to watch him again, the guy is a walking definition of grinder.

LongLiveFisk
04-10-2006, 08:47 PM
A-Row's 3-4 (.318 avg.) with a SB tonight.

It's fun to watch him again, the guy is a walking definition of grinder.

I'm happy for Aaron and I hope he continues to do well, so those Philly fans can stop booing him (they did already, according to their fan forum!) :o:

JB98
04-10-2006, 09:18 PM
I'm happy for Aaron and I hope he continues to do well, so those Philly fans can stop booing him (they did already, according to their fan forum!) :o:

One good game boosts an average quickly at this time of year. Aside from that crappy bunt, Rowand had a good game tonight. Further evidence that he should be allowed to swing away at all times, as I frequently contended when he was a member of the White Sox.

A-Row = horrible bunter

TDog
04-11-2006, 02:43 AM
LTP is 1 for 5 in 3 games for Seattle :cool:

http://www.hunt101.com/img/389625.jpg

And he's still hitting more than 100 points better than Frank Thomas is hitting with the A's.

0o0o0
04-12-2006, 08:51 PM
Rowand hit his first homer...

santo=dorf
04-12-2006, 09:01 PM
Loaiza got owned by the Twins. 4 IP, 8 Hits, 4 BB's, 0 K's, 6 ER.

How come we haven't heard anything about Beane wasting all that money on him?

Fungo
04-12-2006, 10:04 PM
Jim Bullard, a favorite of a few folks here and some others over at soxtalk.com, signed a minor league deal with Toronto (New Hampshire Fisher Cats).

TomBradley72
04-13-2006, 08:39 AM
I think we made the right decision for our DH::cool:

Jim Thome: .346 BA, .514 OBP, 5 HR, 8 RBI
Carl Everett: .100 BA, .250 OBP, 1 HR, 2 RBI
Frank Thomas: .080 BA, .207 OBP, 1 HR, 2 RBI

TDog
04-13-2006, 09:29 PM
Borchard scored a run tonight against Cleveland, pinch running for Everett. Technically, that makes Borchard the DH, but as it is 9-5 M's in the 9th in Cleveland, Borchard probably won't have a chance to hit.

Right now I think Borchard is second in batting average among last-year-Sox hitters. He is behind Rowand but ahead of Everett and Thomas. I have no idea what Timo is doing.

lumpyspun
04-13-2006, 09:35 PM
Borchard scored a run tonight against Cleveland, pinch running for Everett. Technically, that makes Borchard the DH, but as it is 9-5 M's in the 9th in Cleveland, Borchard probably won't have a chance to hit.

Right now I think Borchard is second in batting average among last-year-Sox hitters. He is behind Rowand but ahead of Everett and Thomas. I have no idea what Timo is doing.

Carl was a nice contributor for the M's tonight...who are about to beat the INDIANS 2 of 3 games this series!!! Carl had two walks (one with bases loaded) and an RBI hit.

santo=dorf
04-13-2006, 09:48 PM
Carl was a nice contributor for the M's tonight...who are about to beat the INDIANS 2 of 3 games this series!!! Carl had two walks (one with bases loaded) and an RBI hit.
I think he also scored on a Jeremy Reed sac fly.

RKMeibalane
04-13-2006, 10:15 PM
I think he also scored on a Jeremy Reed sac fly.

Jeremy Reed drove in a run? That explains the party at jeremyb1's house this weekend. :cool:

JB98
04-13-2006, 10:28 PM
Jeremy Reed drove in a run? That explains the party at jeremyb1's house this weekend. :cool:

LOL. jeremyb1 hasn't been heard from much since Garcia threw seven innings of shutout ball in the clinching game of the World Series. I think KW got the best of that deal. :D:

lumpyspun
04-13-2006, 11:22 PM
I just watched Jeremy Reed on "In Their Own Words" on FSN. They asked him about the trade. He didn't really say much other than it shocked him and he found out on the team bus when someone on the team told him. He said it was a pain to move out west but that his family is out here so it was good. He was also happy b/c he knew he would be a starter alot sooner than in Chicago.

TheKittle
04-13-2006, 11:46 PM
Charlie Hough (2 seasons with the White Sox)

http://www.baseball-reference.com/h/houghch01.shtmlJerry

Turner (10 games with the White Sox in 81)

http://www.baseball-reference.com/t/turneje01.shtmlare

both coaches with the Fullerton Flyers, an indy team in the Golden Baseball League.

Craig Gerbeck is a coach with the Rancho Cucamunga Quakes of the Cal League.

He gone
04-14-2006, 07:05 PM
I have no idea what Timo is doing.

Didn't he sign with the Reds?

LTP 2-9 .222
Frank 4-29 .138
Arron 9-33 .273

RKMeibalane
04-14-2006, 10:25 PM
:hurt

"Never underestimate the bing, Farmio."

Steelrod
04-15-2006, 03:33 AM
Charlie Hough (2 seasons with the White Sox)

http://www.baseball-reference.com/h/houghch01.shtmlJerry

Turner (10 games with the White Sox in 81)

http://www.baseball-reference.com/t/turneje01.shtmlare

both coaches with the Fullerton Flyers, an indy team in the Golden Baseball League.

Craig Gerbeck is a coach with the Rancho Cucamunga Quakes of the Cal League.
I assume you mean Grabeck.

TheKittle
04-15-2006, 03:50 AM
I assume you mean Grabeck.

No, actually the correct spelling is Grebeck.

Sorry about the typo.

RKMeibalane
04-15-2006, 08:37 AM
The guys doing Sportscenter posed an interesting question when showing a clip of Frank's home run last night. Is it still appropriate to say, "You can put it on the board" when the big man goes deep? Obviously, I don't expect Hawk to say this, as Frank plays for the "bad guys," but does anyone find themselves saying this anyway?

StockdaleForVeep
04-15-2006, 03:09 PM
I think we made the right decision for our DH::cool:
Jim Thome: .346 BA, .514 OBP, 5 HR, 8 RBI
Carl Everett: .100 BA, .250 OBP, 1 HR, 2 RBI
Frank Thomas: .080 BA, .207 OBP, 1 HR, 2 RBI

Before u solidify yourself on that high chair just remember, someones production is measured over a season, not the first 2 weeks

StockdaleForVeep
04-15-2006, 03:09 PM
The guys doing Sportscenter posed an interesting question when showing a clip of Frank's home run last night. Is it still appropriate to say, "You can put it on the board" when the big man goes deep? Obviously, I don't expect Hawk to say this, as Frank plays for the "bad guys," but does anyone find themselves saying this anyway?

I say it dejectedly like when hawk does when someone homers off the sox

TomBradley72
04-16-2006, 04:31 PM
Before u solidify yourself on that high chair just remember, someones production is measured over a season, not the first 2 weeks

High chair? :?:

Since Thome is fast approaching 500 HR's and has been performing at this level (when healthy) for about a decade....I'm pretty sure it's not a fluke. Is there something wrong with being excited about a guy who will be our best DH since Frank's monster year in 2000? It's not a shot at Everett or Frank...but if either of them were our DH this year and getting off to the kind of start they are having with their new teams...it would be killing us. Thome was carrying us for the first 1-2 weeks of the season.

TimoPerez
04-16-2006, 08:46 PM
Does anyone have any idea what is going on with Timo's Work VISA problems? Last I heard he was waiting for the Work VISA at his home in Miami doing nothing. I assume once he gets it he will report to Triple A. Does anyone know anything that I don't?

StockdaleForVeep
04-16-2006, 09:45 PM
High chair? :?:

Since Thome is fast approaching 500 HR's and has been performing at this level (when healthy) for about a decade....I'm pretty sure it's not a fluke. Is there something wrong with being excited about a guy who will be our best DH since Frank's monster year in 2000? It's not a shot at Everett or Frank...but if either of them were our DH this year and getting off to the kind of start they are having with their new teams...it would be killing us. Thome was carrying us for the first 1-2 weeks of the season.

I will not proclaim this to be a miracle return season till it prolongs itself. Yes thome is an amazing athlete but thats just like sayin pujols is gonna hit 70 because how hot he's started or chris shelton or get super excited cuz the mets are currently 9-2. I refuse to get hopes up till its proven and further in the season. Also you cannot make a comparison of "oh thomas sucks in oakland, he'd be hurting us" because batting in oakland is diff than battin at comiskey or any park, some players play well in one stadium, and dont in others. By assuming the greatness of Thome, do you then say podsednik is gonna be crappy this season cuz he's gotten a very slow start? You cant pick and choose who u wanan look at and say they will do good

TomBradley72
04-18-2006, 07:41 PM
I will not proclaim this to be a miracle return season till it prolongs itself. Yes thome is an amazing athlete but thats just like sayin pujols is gonna hit 70 because how hot he's started or chris shelton or get super excited cuz the mets are currently 9-2. I refuse to get hopes up till its proven and further in the season. Also you cannot make a comparison of "oh thomas sucks in oakland, he'd be hurting us" because batting in oakland is diff than battin at comiskey or any park, some players play well in one stadium, and dont in others. By assuming the greatness of Thome, do you then say podsednik is gonna be crappy this season cuz he's gotten a very slow start? You cant pick and choose who u wanan look at and say they will do good

My assumption of greatness for Thome is based on:

1751 games played
5960 AB's
437 HR's
1206 RBI's
.282 Avg.

I didn't say Thomas sucked....I said I prefer Thome over Thomas because he's a LH stick....and his fast start really helped the team when the other hitters and the pitchers were struggling. I don't see how the stadium Thomas plays in effects his batting avg....and the park has become somewhat of a launching pad since the addition of the upper deck for football in the outfield.
If he can't hit well in Oakland...he's in for a long season.

Best of luck to Frank and Carl....we're better off with Thome (barring injuries).

Lip Man 1
04-18-2006, 10:27 PM
Speaking of former Sox, Esteban Loiaza is off to a rough start. In the print edition of The Sporting News this week they quote a MLB scout ripping him basically saying he signed a three year contract now he doesn't care anymore.

Nice job Billy! LOL

Lip

2005WorldChamps
04-19-2006, 01:31 PM
Gary Glover is 2-0 with a 5.94 ERA in 3 games for the Yomiuri Giants
Kevin Beirne is 2-2 with a 7.45 ERA in 4 games for the Chiba Lotte Marines
Felix Diaz is 0-1 with a 3.00 ERA in 1 game for the Nippon Ham Fighters
Shingo Takatsu is 1-0 with a 2.07 ERA in 6 games for the Yakult Swallows
Jeff Liefer has not made an appearance for the Seibu Lions (I think he's injured)

Hitmen77
04-19-2006, 09:15 PM
News on another former Sox player. Bartolo Colon goes on DL with inflammation in his shoulder.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2414521

thepaulbowski
04-19-2006, 09:28 PM

No.

thepaulbowski
04-19-2006, 09:32 PM

I'd be willing to bet that the standing won't change by the end of the season. Thome has had one bad season in the last ten years, Frank has had two good seasons in the last seven.

RKMeibalane
04-19-2006, 09:32 PM
:hurt

"Never underestimate the bing, Farmio."

#452 for the Big Hurt

Mr. White Sox
04-19-2006, 09:37 PM
Rowand tonight:
2/5, 1 2B, 1 K and 1 R scored in a 7-6 win over Washington. Jimmy Rollins was 0/5, else Rowand would have some RBIs there as well. Season average: .345
He'll most likely have a year closer to 2004 than 2005 offensively, especially in that ballpark.

santo=dorf
04-19-2006, 10:07 PM
Fatboy Colon went on the DL

SOX ADDICT '73
04-19-2006, 10:44 PM
...the Nippon Ham Fighters...
:rolling:
I need to see an image of that mascot!

Mr. White Sox
04-20-2006, 12:04 AM
Carl Everett just hit a walkoff 3-run HR off of CJ Wilson to win the game for Seattle, thereby:

1) Ruining my fantasy allstar Kevin Millwood's chance at a W
2) Ruining my fantasy allstar Francisco Cordero's save op.
3) Ruining my fantasy allstar Francisco Cordero's record and ERA (10.50)

Carl was 2/5 today, and his HR capped off a 5 run ninth for Seattle, who won it 9-6

lumpyspun
04-20-2006, 12:07 AM
Carl Everett just hit a walkoff 3-run HR off of CJ Wilson to win the game for Seattle, thereby:

1) Ruining my fantasy allstar Kevin Millwood's chance at a W
2) Ruining my fantasy allstar Francisco Cordero's save op.
3) Ruining my fantasy allstar Francisco Cordero's record and ERA (10.50)

Carl was 2/5 today, and his HR capped off a 5 run ninth for Seattle, who won it 9-6

I'm not sure who caught that game....but it was a great finish. Everett almost put it in the upper deck...for some reason I like seeing Carl do well.

Nellie_Fox
04-20-2006, 12:16 AM
I need to see an image of that mascot!They are not the Ham Fighters. They are the Fighters, owned by Nippon Ham.

SOX ADDICT '73
04-20-2006, 12:31 AM
They are not the Ham Fighters. They are the Fighters, owned by Nippon Ham.
I knew that (or at least I figured), but seeing "Ham Fighters" in type made me giggle.

If MGD owned LA's NL team, they'd be the "Miller Genuine Draft Dodgers".

ws05champs
04-20-2006, 10:13 AM
I need to see an image of that mascot!

You asked for it:

http://www.fighters.co.jp/bb/diary/gallery44.html

SOX ADDICT '73
04-20-2006, 04:11 PM
You asked for it:

http://www.fighters.co.jp/bb/diary/gallery44.html
http://www.fighters.co.jp/bb/diary/2006photo/060226-2.jpg
It's hard to tell...is that a package of ham he's biting into? :tongue:

(Don't hurt me, Nellie)

ws05champs
04-20-2006, 09:32 PM
http://www.fighters.co.jp/bb/diary/2006photo/060226-2.jpg
It's hard to tell...is that a package of ham he's biting into? :tongue:

(Don't hurt me, Nellie)
Did you notice the one with him in a hot tub and the strategic location of the towel?:o:

santo=dorf
04-29-2006, 06:41 PM
Loaiza's 1st inning against the Royals

- K. Robinson singled to center
- M. Grudzielanek walked, K. Robinson to second
- D. Mientkiewicz walked, K. Robinson to third, M. Grudzielanek to second
- R. Sanders homered to deep left, M. Grudzielanek, D. Mientkiewicz and K. Robinson scored
- M. Stairs doubled to deep left
- E. Brown flied out to right center
- M. Teahen walked
- A. Berroa fouled out to first
- J. Buck walked, M. Stairs to third, M. Teahen to second
- K. Robinson singled to catcher, M. Stairs scored, M. Teahen to third, J. Buck to second
- M. Grudzielanek grounded out to third - End of Inning (5 Runs, 4 Hits, 0 Errors)

His ERA went from 8.05 to 10.24. Nice signing Billy!

santo=dorf
04-29-2006, 07:03 PM
Loaiza's final line: 1 IP, 4 H, 6 BB's 0 K's 5 ER

RKMeibalane
04-29-2006, 09:04 PM
Loaiza's final line: 1 IP, 4 H, 6 BB's 0 K's 5 ER

Loaiza is awful. I've listened to a few of the A's games to keep tabs on Big Frank, and every start by Esteban is a disaster "from the word go."

The A's must be gearing up for another big second half run, because that's what it will take for them to win the the division with Orange County to contend with.

ChiSoxGirl
04-29-2006, 10:50 PM
Loaiza's 1st inning against the Royals

- K. Robinson singled to center
- M. Grudzielanek walked, K. Robinson to second
- D. Mientkiewicz walked, K. Robinson to third, M. Grudzielanek to second
- R. Sanders homered to deep left, M. Grudzielanek, D. Mientkiewicz and K. Robinson scored
- M. Stairs doubled to deep left
- E. Brown flied out to right center
- M. Teahen walked
- A. Berroa fouled out to first
- J. Buck walked, M. Stairs to third, M. Teahen to second
- K. Robinson singled to catcher, M. Stairs scored, M. Teahen to third, J. Buck to second
- M. Grudzielanek grounded out to third - End of Inning (5 Runs, 4 Hits, 0 Errors)

His ERA went from 8.05 to 10.24. Nice signing Billy!

Wow... talk about a one-year wonder! One 21-9 season and it was back to mediocrity for him. That cut-fastball he perfected that season was quickly figured out by the A.L. 2003 was his career year and I'm glad he's wearing the green & gold of Oakland and not the silver & black of Chicago!

NDSox12
04-29-2006, 10:59 PM
Loaiza actually pitched very well for the Nationals last year. Perhaps this is another sign of how awful the National League is compared to the American League.

DickAllen72
04-29-2006, 11:59 PM
Loaiza is awful. I've listened to a few of the A's games to keep tabs on Big Frank, and every start by Esteban is a disaster "from the word go."

Loaiza is fine. He's just not getting enough run support.

Hitmen77
04-30-2006, 12:19 AM
Wow... talk about a one-year wonder! One 21-9 season and it was back to mediocrity for him. That cut-fastball he perfected that season was quickly figured out by the A.L. 2003 was his career year and I'm glad he's wearing the green & gold of Oakland and not the silver & black of Chicago!

Credit KW for seeing Loaiza coming back down to earth from his career year and being able to deal him for Jose Contreras. Is that trade looking like a total steal right now or what?

By the way, am I remembering correctly that many experts were picking the A's to be the best in the AL because they got Loaiza and Thomas?