PDA

View Full Version : Question about fitting the replica rings

RetireWoodys28
04-06-2006, 10:06 PM
I got my ring Tuesday, and I've got to say it is the absolute coolest piece of Sox memorabilia I could ever possibly hope to own (with the possible exception of the REAL ring, but I don't envision JR breaking down and sending me one of those anytime soon).

My question: has anyone thought about getting their ring fitted? I know this would destroy the value of the ring to collectors, but frankly I don't care about that. I didn't show up Tuesday to turn around and eBay this thing. I would like to be able to wear it once and while on a finger other than my pinky, though (the Phillies game at Wrigley this coming Aug. 21st comes to mind. I'll be in centerfield*). But I'm not sure this all metal, and if there is a chance it could crack/chip/whatever, I don't want to risk it. Has anyone tried it? If not, does anyone at least have a hunch? Thanks in advance for the info!

*Might have to get it fitted for my middle finger, which would make showing it to Cubs fans even MORE pleasurable!

HotelWhiteSox
04-06-2006, 10:24 PM
I am going to look into this, I love that ring, and want to wear it, but it hardly fits on my pinky. My only worry would be that they completely ruin the ring, if this is possible at all. I will let you guys know what I find out

MySoxAreClean
04-06-2006, 10:52 PM
Have it dipped in GOLD ,

Patrick134
04-06-2006, 11:14 PM
These are fine as cheap little keepsakes . But to actually want to wear the thing (aside from a one or two time novelty thing) is pretty lame. I'm not a big jewelry fan anyway, but even if i was, wanting to wear one of these just sounds pathetic.

RealMenWearBlack
04-06-2006, 11:36 PM
These are fine as cheap little keepsakes . But to actually want to wear the thing (aside from a one or two time novelty thing) is pretty lame. I'm not a big jewelry fan anyway, but even if i was, wanting to wear one of these just sounds pathetic.

I'd like to be able to wear me ring at games, but it doesn't even fit on my pinky.

koch44
04-06-2006, 11:41 PM
I only plan on wearing it during games this season, and once the seasons over it's going into my box full of world series merchandise.

lizard6king6
04-07-2006, 01:04 AM
I dont know why one would wear it. Its not even real gold, sure it looks cool and all but to wear it? It cost them probally 25 cents a piece to make and getting it fitted would most likely ruin it. Personally its not worth it to even try to fit it or wear it, Im sure wearing it all the time will deffinatly ruin it from normal wear and dings from hitting it on stuff.

NSSoxFan
04-07-2006, 01:21 AM
This thread makes me wonder where I put that 1998 Bulls replica champs ring.

koch44
04-07-2006, 01:25 AM
This thread makes me wonder where I put that 1998 Bulls replica champs ring.

You can still find those up for bid on ebay also.

RetireWoodys28
04-07-2006, 02:46 AM
I dont know why one would wear it. Its not even real gold, sure it looks cool and all but to wear it?
With due respect, I'm not that much concerned with what you or anyone else considers pathetic and lame. And not real gold??? Excuuuuse me! I don't care much about real vs. faux gold, when it comes to what this ring represents. I don't wear jewelry beyond a watch, anyhow. I just want to be able to wear this ring once and a while, mostly to show it off to all our neighbors who wear blue (and who are generally regarded as the types of snobs of privilege who - amongst other things - would probably look down their noses at a blue collar guy who can't afford real gold and wears a tacky 25 cent trinket on his finger).

To paraphrase the great Lee Elia, "85% of the world works for a living, the other 15% won't wear their ring cuz it's not real gold."

StockdaleForVeep
04-07-2006, 03:16 AM

Yeah and whats the deal with wearing watches when u got a ball of plasma and other fission\fusion gasses to tell the time when u look strait up

milrtyme28
04-07-2006, 03:23 AM
The replica ring is nice, but I but it will turn your finger green anyway before long.

I am hoping the sox offer something like this.....

http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/bos/fan_forum/rings.jsp

I would love to get something similar, of high quality, wearably, and at reasonable cost. I would spend $200-300 on something like this. :smile:

TheKittle
04-07-2006, 04:13 AM
The replica ring is nice, but I but it will turn your finger green anyway before long.

I am hoping the sox offer something like this.....

http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/bos/fan_forum/rings.jsp

I would love to get something similar, of high quality, wearably, and at reasonable cost. I would spend $200-300 on something like this. :smile:

The season is still young. I'm sure the White Sox will have something like that, very soon.

oeo
04-07-2006, 06:47 AM
The season is still young. I'm sure the White Sox will have something like that, very soon.

I thought Brooks already said they will not be doing anything similar.

Anyway, why wear it? You're just going to ruin it wearing it all the time, it's not a real ring and the color will fade and come off...just keep the thing safe or you'll be sorry later.

C-Dawg
04-07-2006, 06:55 AM
I doubt the ring would be ruined if it was sized a little bigger by a good jeweler. Don't they just cut it at the thin part and widen it a little, then fill the gap with metal? Maybe it only works with gold.... Actually I considered slicing it with a Dremel tool, widening it, and filling the gap with JB Weld.

By the way, once word at work got out that I took a vacation day to see the Sox on Tuesday, everyone wanted to see the ring. All day Wednesday, everywhere I went people wanted to see it. Its been a great conversation piece!

BeviBall!
04-07-2006, 08:29 AM

Yep.

jake5824
04-07-2006, 10:20 AM

ha I was thinking the same thing

celicacutie
04-07-2006, 10:21 AM
you're gonna have a green middle finger or pinky!

alohafri
04-07-2006, 03:36 PM
you're gonna have a green middle finger or pinky!

Not to mention that the paint rubs/chips off when it rubs on another ring.

The Critic
04-07-2006, 03:58 PM
Mine has found its final resting place - hanging on the left arm of my Mark Buehrle bobblehead. I like how it looks there.

bayzbol44
04-07-2006, 07:49 PM
I just want to get a NICE jewelry box for it and put it on the shelf with a WS ball and other things. I actually thought I saw somewhere that the ring was NOT made to be resized.