PDA

View Full Version : Rollins Hit streak ends

StockdaleForVeep
04-06-2006, 06:17 PM
Cant say this saddens me, i am a purist in the sense it wouldnt matter cuz he needs all the hits in 1 season

0-4 today

churlish
04-06-2006, 06:27 PM
Well, it was impressive while it lasted. Edmonds robbed Rollins of a hit, too.

TheKittle
04-06-2006, 06:35 PM
Cant say this saddens me, i am a purist in the sense it wouldnt matter cuz he needs all the hits in 1 season

0-4 today

That's a crazy arguement, just because it wasn't over one season. I think it would have been more amazing if he did break either Joe D's or the NL record over two seasons.

TheKittle
04-06-2006, 06:35 PM

0-4 today

That's a crazy arguement, just because it wasn't over one season. I think it would have been more amazing if he did break either Joe D's or the NL record over two seasons.

tick53
04-06-2006, 06:51 PM
I don't think anybody will ever break Joey D's record, not with todays
pitching

MUsoxfan
04-06-2006, 06:58 PM

0-4 today

It's weird because I think it shouldn't matter if the streak is over 1 or 2 seasons. But when Tiger won the "Tiger Slam" I was very opposed to people considering him as having won the Grand Slam because it was over two seasons. I guess it comes down to the fact that I like Jimmy Rollins and dislike Tiger. Either way....what Jimmy did was very impressive.

oeo
04-06-2006, 07:03 PM

Why? That's just like having two separate hitting streaks in the same season. You can't just add them together.

samram
04-06-2006, 07:11 PM
Why? That's just like having two separate hitting streaks in the same season. You can't just add them together.

So then, hitting streaks are really about timing and too bad if you started hitting well in late August?

I think it would have been legit because he didnt have a chance to settle into the season- he had to be hitting right off the bat.

gbergman
04-06-2006, 07:14 PM
i wanted to see him break it so badly

The Racehorse
04-06-2006, 07:21 PM
i wanted to see him break it so badly

While Joe D's 56 game hit-streak is one of those next-to-impossible records to break, I also would have liked to see him break the record.
IMO, records are made to be broken (sans 'roids).

SABRSox
04-06-2006, 08:45 PM
Jimmy Rollins is a nice guy. If he would have broken it, I wouldn't have been upset. But I agree, you either do it all in 1 season or it doesn't count.

beckett21
04-06-2006, 10:17 PM
The way I understand it, there are two separate records: consecutive hit games in one season, and consecutive hit games over two seasons. Rollins was chasing a different record entirely.

Dimaggio's streak was not in jeopardy. At least that is my understanding of it. *

*(Of course, I heard this from Peter Gammons on ESPN so take it FWIW.)

No matter which way you look at it, it would have been a remarkable streak in its own right. Moot point now.

StockdaleForVeep
04-06-2006, 10:27 PM
So then, hitting streaks are really about timing and too bad if you started hitting well in late August?

I think it would have been legit because he didnt have a chance to settle into the season- he had to be hitting right off the bat.

So does this mean u'd allow if a guy played 5 games a year, got a hit in each game and then was injured for whatever reason and missed the rest of the seasons,to be able to claim the record?
You'd think its ok he'd break the consecutive hit streak in 12 seasons?

StockdaleForVeep
04-06-2006, 10:28 PM
While Joe D's 56 game hit-streak is one of those next-to-impossible records to break, I also would have liked to see him break the record.
IMO, records are made to be broken (sans 'roids).

I still say the consecutive games streak is the best, yes it was broken by ripken but the sheer concept of being good enough to start every season and avoid injury enough to be able to play

StockdaleForVeep
04-06-2006, 10:29 PM
The way I understand it, there are two separate records: consecutive hit games in one season, and consecutive hit games over two seasons. Rollins was chasing a different record entirely.

Dimaggio's streak was not in jeopardy. At least that is my understanding of it. *

*(Of course, I heard this from Peter Gammons on ESPN so take it FWIW.)

No matter which way you look at it, it would have been a remarkable streak in its own right. Moot point now.

Yes but for a while too, marris' 61 was considered a separate title from the babe ruth 60 hrs, but was changed in 91 to say he was the record holder

GregoryEtc
04-07-2006, 12:36 AM
http://www.thebaseballcube.com/images/cards/337.jpg
"I broke the record. Look it up if you don't believe me. I dare you."

samram
04-07-2006, 10:12 AM
So does this mean u'd allow if a guy played 5 games a year, got a hit in each game and then was injured for whatever reason and missed the rest of the seasons,to be able to claim the record?
You'd think its ok he'd break the consecutive hit streak in 12 seasons?

First, as beckett said, it's two different records anyway, but I think I'd be ok with the above scenario. I mean, hell, DiMaggio had like 20 hours off between games, so they weren't technically "consecutive games" anymore than playing them over two seasons would be.

Honestly, I don't have a problem with this being two different records, but I just don't see anything less impressive about what Rollins tried to do.